PDA

View Full Version : I've decided...

yermom
7/9/2010, 06:47 PM
some people are Tim Burton people

i am not a Tim Burton person.

Nightmare Before Christmas? Beetlejuice? Sweeney Todd? i don't get it.

he even ****ed up Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

StoopTroup
7/9/2010, 06:50 PM
Your just old school. I bet you love the whammy bar on the fender strat along with the waawaa pedal distortion/chorus/reverb effects.

y7rFYbMhcG8

delhalew
7/9/2010, 06:55 PM
I dig on the Beetlejuice. Other than that I'm not impressed. Wasn't Ed Scissorhands a Burton flick?

yermom
7/9/2010, 06:56 PM
i kinda liked the first Batman he did, but hated Batman Returns

i also kinda liked Edward Scissorhands

olevetonahill
7/9/2010, 07:08 PM
I must not be one, Cause I aint got a clue who or what ya talking about :D

JohnnyMack
7/9/2010, 07:21 PM
The new Willie Wonka is really good. Johnny Depp was awesome in that.

colleyvillesooner
7/9/2010, 07:29 PM
Pee Wee is the best movie he made.

There's no basement in the Alamo!

yermom
7/9/2010, 07:46 PM
i forgot about that one

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is great

but it only hints at the style that permeates in his other stuff

delhalew
7/9/2010, 08:20 PM
Pee Wee is the best movie he made.

There's no basement in the Alamo!

I completely forgot he did Pee Wee. That makes up for everything else. Wonka was a dog turd. He needs his *** kicked for Batman Returns.

Collier11
7/9/2010, 08:34 PM
Beetle Juice yes, the rest BLAH

Curly Bill
7/9/2010, 11:06 PM
He sucks.

SicEmBaylor
7/9/2010, 11:09 PM
some people are Tim Burton people

i am not a Tim Burton person.

Nightmare Before Christmas? Beetlejuice? Sweeney Todd? i don't get it.

This. This. This. x1000

Once again, you find yourself in the unenviable position of agreeing wholeheartedly with me.

yermom
7/9/2010, 11:28 PM
:(

yermom
7/9/2010, 11:31 PM
Your just old school. I bet you love the whammy bar on the fender strat along with the waawaa pedal distortion/chorus/reverb effects.

y7rFYbMhcG8

i DO love old school guitar, but i'm pretty open-minded, really

it's just a subjective thing. Burton is good at what he does, it's just not my thing

kinda like Elvis. i'm missing something somewhere. mainly with the later stuff, i think

stoopified
7/10/2010, 12:53 AM
Burton flicks are just plain weird.I think he is one of those filmakers you really like or really detest.Put me on the detest list.

soonerboomer93
7/10/2010, 03:53 AM
I like Burton's version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory better (although the dentist father stuff wasn't eh)

OhU1
7/10/2010, 11:35 AM
I am not a Tim Burton person. I get the feeling you have to be a little emo to be into his stuff.

However, Big Fish was a wonderful movie and really did touch me. If your father has passed away or had a close call it's a pretty powerful movie.

I do highly recommend this one Burton movie. The monologist Spaulding Gray committed suicide shortly after watching it, so I suppose he might not have.

Okla-homey
7/10/2010, 11:42 AM
Put me down as a Tim Burton fan. Loved everything he's ever made, except for Sweeny Todd...because I'm not into musicals not written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

And my daughter just about wore-out my Beetlejuice video when she was a tyke. To my mother's utter shock and horror I might add.

MR2-Sooner86
7/10/2010, 12:12 PM
Nightmare Before Christmas?

It's a masterpiece and will always be a classic. The only thing I hate is how every little goth and emo freak from Hot Topic has taken over the fan base.

Corpse Bride was utter **** though.

Beetlejuice?

Great cult classic.

Alice in Wonderland, yes, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was based more on the book. However, Gene Wilder's Wonka > Johnney Depp's Wonka.

I do like his earlier work much more than what he has been doing. The last movie of his I enjoyed was Planet of the Apes.

Sleepy Hollow was good the first go around.
Mars Attacks isn't bad to watch every now and then.
Edward Scissorhands is a story we've all seen before in other movies but it has a twist.

What I do like about a whole lot of his stuff though is he has something lacking in Hollywood, originality. His visuals are always stunning and although I didn't like Alic in Wonderland I loved the world that was created. Love or hate him the guy does have a very active imagination that's for sure.

soonerboomer93
7/10/2010, 02:42 PM
dammit, can believe I forgot mars attacks and beetlejuice

sooneron
7/10/2010, 10:55 PM
Very Good
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Beetlejuice
Big Fish
Batman
Ed Wood

Good
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow
Mars Attacks (for the outlandish camp aspect)
Nightmare Before Xmas

[B]OK[B]
Batman Returns
Planet of The Apes
Sweeney Todd
Cabin Boy (yeah, I'm warped)

[B]Not good[B]
Charlie & ....

I haven't seen Alice or Corpse Bride, but he produced and visualized a lot of 9 and I liked it pretty well. The guy IS talented. He was an animator on Tron , has done countless films where he helped with production design, and he even played a corpse in Hoffa.

yermom
7/10/2010, 11:00 PM
i forgot about Big Fish as well. i loved that one

Ed Wood is really good too

those don't seem to fit with the others :D

StoopTroup
7/10/2010, 11:07 PM
I liked the New Alice.

NormanPride
7/11/2010, 04:38 AM
Mars Attacks is an extremely underrated movie.

He's making the international sign of the donut...!

GKeeper316
7/11/2010, 05:36 AM
Beetlejuice was awesome. Edward Scissorhands, while largely just a Pinocchio rip-off, was still an amazing visual experience (in an abstract way).

I appreciate the surrealism Burton uses... It's unique and unmistakable. In my expert opinion, Tim Burton will go down as one of the great storytellers of my generation, and a lot of his movies will be considered classics.

I liked the Nightmare Before Christmas, mostly because I'm a huge animation fan.

But I also can see why a lot of people don't like Burton's work at all, which is fair. I refuse to pay money for anything Jerry Bruckheimer does. Its like every movie he's ever done has followed the exact same formula.

GKeeper316
7/11/2010, 06:00 AM
ha! Cabin Boy was Burton... I love that movie!

Breadburner
7/11/2010, 08:44 AM
"I'm the ghost with the most babe".

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/11/2010, 09:55 AM
i DO love old school guitar, but i'm pretty open-minded, really

it's just a subjective thing. Burton is good at what he does, it's just not my thing

kinda like Elvis. i'm missing something somewhere. mainly with the later stuff, i thinkElvis was king 1956-'60. After that, something went wrong.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/11/2010, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=Okla-homey;2907070]Put me down as a Tim Burton fan. Loved everything he's ever made...QUOTE]that I've seen

ndpruitt03
7/11/2010, 11:18 AM
I don't really get the hate for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It's much more true to the book than the 70s film, which only had one bright spot with Gene Wilder. Burton just changed the ending completely added the storyline about Wonka's dad.

GottaHavePride
7/12/2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I like both the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movies. I think the Gene Wilder version is actually FAR creepier than the Johnny Depp version.

I'm a Tim Burton fan. You have to realize that Alice in Wonderland was trying to be a re-imagining, almost a sequel, and NOT just a re-make of the Disney version.

And if you didn't like Sweeney Todd because of who wrote it, well, you have a Sondheim problem, not a Burton problem. What Burton did with that movie was flipping perfect.

SicEmBaylor
7/12/2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I like both the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movies. I think the Gene Wilder version is actually FAR creepier than the Johnny Depp version.

I'm a Tim Burton fan. You have to realize that Alice in Wonderland was trying to be a re-imagining, almost a sequel, and NOT just a re-make of the Disney version.

And if you didn't like Sweeney Todd because of who wrote it, well, you have a Sondheim problem, not a Burton problem. What Burton did with that movie was flipping perfect.

I just didn't "get" Sweeney Todd. Five minutes into the movie, I was asking myself "WTF is this weird ****?" One minute later I turned it off.

GottaHavePride
7/12/2010, 04:45 PM
So you missed the whole "Judge thinks barber dude's wife is hot, has barber dude arrested and sent to a penal colony to steal barber's hot wife, barber comes back and goes on a murdering rampage trying to kill the judge and get his daughter back" story line? I mean, it's over the top but it's a musical - it's supposed to be.

yermom
7/12/2010, 05:02 PM
i'm with SicEm

i got the story, it just didn't do anything for me

it was well done, or whatever, i just didn't care that much for it

SicEmBaylor
7/12/2010, 05:15 PM
i'm with SicEm

i got the story, it just didn't do anything for me

it was well done, or whatever, i just didn't care that much for it

I tried watching it on Blu-Ray. I'll say this, the visuals were great.

Crucifax Autumn
7/12/2010, 07:54 PM
Big Fish is excellent.

My Opinion Matters
7/13/2010, 10:20 AM
Burton's entire career can be summed up like this:

We get it Tim, you're weird.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/9/2010, 03:32 PM
Several Tim Burton films are not up my alley, but I watched Ed Wood last night and loved it.

Jacie
8/9/2010, 03:37 PM
Adam: What are your qualifications?

Betelgeuse: Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?

soonerborn30
8/9/2010, 04:02 PM
I really like Burton's movies. People have mentioned the visuals a lot, but the other great thing about his movies is the music he uses. Beetlejuice is one of my favorite movies of all time..."We've come for your daughter, Chuck."

ndpruitt03
8/9/2010, 04:21 PM
Danny Elfman does most if not all of his music. The thing he's most famous for is the Simpson's theme.

Oldnslo
8/9/2010, 04:44 PM
Count me as a Burton fan. Nightmare is one of my faves. So is Burton's Alice. And I even like Charlie. In fact, he's a director whose movies I'll give the benefit of the doubt, whether the reviews are good or bad.

Crucifax Autumn
8/9/2010, 10:23 PM
Nightamare and Big Fish are the only ones I ever wanted to watch a second time.

GottaHavePride
8/10/2010, 12:20 AM
Nightamare and Big Fish are the only ones I ever wanted to watch a second time.

Really? I've seen Sweeney Todd about 4 times now. And the new Willy Wonka was worth 3 or 4 viewings. Batman was greatness - I probably have seen that one about a dozen times. Oh, and I've watched Beetlejuice approximately 473 times.

Crucifax Autumn
8/10/2010, 03:38 AM
Maybe I'm just an *******.

yermom
8/11/2010, 12:14 AM
Maybe I'm just an *******.

nope, GHP and Oldnslo just need to be ignored for movie advice ;)

Norm In Norman
8/11/2010, 11:04 PM
The Burton movies I've seen and the order I like them are:

1 Pee-wee's Big Adventure
2 Beetle Juice
3 Edward Scissorhands
4 Batman
5 Big Fish
6 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
7 Alice in Wonderland
8 Sleepy Hollow
9 Batman Returns
10 Planet of the Apes

He had something to do with 9 too, which I would put at about 4 or 5. I could have sworn he did MIB, but I guess I was mistaken.