PDA

View Full Version : LOUIE

KC//CRIMSON
7/9/2010, 11:52 AM
You’ll pardon me if I happen to be squealing with delight about this excellent, excellent show. Louis CK is one of the funniest humans on the entire planet, and the only reason he isn’t a gigantic star is because most Americans think Jay Leno is funny. If you don’t like Louis CK’s comedy, it’s because you’re an idiot with lousy taste and what are you doing even reading a blog anyway, grandpa?

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/louis-ck.jpg

Louis C.K. is the creator, executive producer and star of the new FX comedy "Louie." He also writes, directs and edits every episode, and he is essentially playing himself, as a stand-up comedian newly-divorced and helping to raise two young daughters. It's entirely possible that he's also responsible for the costumes, the catering and painting the sets. In every way but the presence of other actors on-camera with him - because C.K. is funny but not exactly man of a thousand faces - this is a one-man show. If it's good, all credit goes to Louis C.K. If it's bad, he gets all the blame.

"Louie" is very, VERY good. It may even, based on the four episodes I've seen, be great.

C.K. has been a working comic for 20 years, has written for "Saturday Night Live" and "The Chris Rock Show" (and wrote and directed that show's spin-off film "Pootie Tang," which was almost universally-panned but which always makes me chuckle when I see it on cable). In 2006, he did the auteur thing with "Lucky Louie," an attempt to do a traditional-style family sitcom with a laugh track, but also with the kind of frankness about sex, class and race you expect on HBO. "Lucky Louie" was, like "Pootie Tang," slammed by critics - my review, in which I admired what it was trying to do even as I said "its rhythms are too conventionally sitcom-y, and the occasional chuckle isn't worth the long painful patches," was one of the kinder ones - and HBO pulled the plug after a single season.

"Lucky Louie" was a noble failure. Plain ol' "Louie," on the other hand, is a remarkable creative success, as engaging in the (intentionally) unfunny moments as the (many, many, many) funny ones.

The structure is similar to "Seinfeld" - if "Seinfeld" aired on FX late at night and Jerry were cruder and his misanthropy was interwoven with a healthy amount of self-hatred. Each episode intersperses bits of Louis C.K. stand-up with vignettes from his life that illustrate how he might have come to those jokes. (FX, perhaps fearful of residual "Lucky Louie" memories, describes the show in its press notes not as a sitcom, but "a unique mix of Louis C.K.'s stand-up comedy and scripted short films.")

And the key thing you have to understand about Louis C.K. as stand-up, actor, writer, dad, ex-husband, etc., is that he is one miserable bastard.

"I know too much about life to have any optimism," he tells the audience in one stand-up bit. "I know that if you smile at someone, and they smile back, you've just decided that something ****ty is about to happen."

Later, he says that any father who gives his kids a puppy should acknowledge that they'll outlive it with the warning, "I brought home us crying in a few years!"

Each episode tells two stories, though the length, style and tone of those stories varies wildly. The first of tomorrow's two episode is an even split, first with Louie playing chaperone on a school field trip gone horribly awry (easily the weakest of the four stories you'll see tomorrow) then with him going on a first date where everything that can go wrong, does. The date story unfolds almost like a silent film - albeit one where Buster Keaton is frequently saying inappropriate things about his daughters - and I was almost crying with laughter by the end of it.

(FX is putting "Louie" on Tuesdays at 11 in part because C.K. seems a good Angry Middle-Aged White Guy partner for Denis Leary on "Rescue Me," but also because much of the show - particularly the stand-up bits - is just shockingly filthy, even for the network that's been home to "The Shield" and "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.")

The most impressive achievement of "Louie" may be the way it at times doesn't even make a pretense of humor outside the stand-up scenes, which are plenty funny enough to carry you through other parts that are just trying to illustrate the melancholy that comes with being divorced, balding and overweight at an age when, as C.K. explains, there will never be a year of his life that will be better than the one before.

Tomorrow's second episode opens with one long scene set at a poker game with C.K. and his comedian pals (including "Lucky Louie" sidekick Jim Norton). The guys swap R-rated insults until everyone's attention lands on the one gay comic at the table, and Louie asks, sincerely, how the guy feels about Louie using a popular slur for gay people in his act. The scene takes a very serious left turn at this point, but in a way that manages to remain completely true to the spirit of what came before, and then to the jokes that come immediately after. It's so thoughtful and human and warm that I would have easily watched an entire episode that was just Louie and his friend debating the ethics of a stand-up comedy act. As it is, I was perfectly happy with the comic vignette that followed, with Louie turning to his brother for moral support after the divorce, and the brother being too depressed to cheer him up, telling him, "What's sad is, you're too old to get anybody else."

Later episodes include a cameo by Ricky Gervais as an old doctor friend of Louie's who tries to play comedian while giving Louie a physical, Louie making the surprising acquaintance of a groupie, and Louie bonding with a divorced mom (Pamela Adlon, who played his wife on "Lucky Louie" and is a producer here) while their kids have a playdate. None of the stories feel quite like the one before it, and C.K. is even willing to toy with the stand-up/story format in one episode where some of the stand-up sequences are replaced with Louie visiting his inappropriate, incompetent therapist. (When Louie complains that he doesn't have any friends, the therapist asks, "Do you think it's because you're fat?")

"Lucky Louie" tried to bring a new sensibility to a format that came with too much baggage. "Louie," while it has elements of other comedies from both movies and television, doesn't feel quite like anything I've seen before. As a TV critic, I find that exciting. But as a plain old fan of comedy, I'm even more excited by how painfully funny this show is.

Talk about stretching the boundaries of TV-MA. I pink puffy heart this show.

ouleaf
7/9/2010, 02:44 PM
Saw it. Love it. Greatness. The one episode where he was on the school bus with all the kids was hilarious.

Louis C.K. is a brilliant comedic writer. I was glad to see him guest star for a bit on Parks and Recreation (very funny show as well) but he didn't really do much on the show and wasn't really given the opportunity to shine.

FX is definitely building a solid lineup of crude-humor comedies. Always Sunny, Louie, and The League. All are great.

yermom
7/9/2010, 04:01 PM
yeah, The League and Sunny are both pretty awesome

i really liked this show too.

his bit about marriage/relationships and the best possible outcome is so true :D

delhalew
7/9/2010, 06:47 PM
I used to love Lucky Louie. I know I'm gonna like his new show, even if Jim Norton isn't involved.

StoopTroup
7/9/2010, 06:56 PM
This is pause to worry about Louie getting stalked by some Mid-western middle aged man.

HBick
7/10/2010, 12:19 AM
Don't forget about Rescue Me. That's another FX hit. But yeah my DVR has the first 3 Louie's on it, I can't bring myself to delete them

KC//CRIMSON
7/10/2010, 02:11 AM
I see we have at least one Jay Leno fan. Awesome.

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2010, 07:30 AM
I remember smoking on airplanes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_4vl_H-SI&feature=player_embedded

texaspokieokie
7/27/2010, 08:07 AM
i'm very old, & really like Louie CK.

i also like Jay Leno.

i saw several ones of that sit com he had a year or 2 ago. very very funny;
but those were pitiful people.

i remember one guy owned a muffler shop.

wish they'd make some more.

Harry Beanbag
7/27/2010, 12:28 PM
I had forgotten about this, just set up the DVR. Luckly Louie was awesome.

Czar Soonerov
7/27/2010, 12:33 PM
I remember smoking on airplanes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_4vl_H-SI&feature=player_embedded

"I WAS BORN IN 1967!!"

LOL

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2010, 06:30 PM
I had a vein removed from my leg last year!

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2010, 09:43 PM
In honor of Homey's back door rendezvous with a stainless steele snake.

It's not supposed to go in and out like that!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOaZ4CQqKI

OUstud
8/6/2010, 02:31 AM
In honor of Homey's back door rendezvous with a stainless steele snake.

It's not supposed to go in and out like that!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qOaZ4CQqKI

Bump...I love this show. It seems to be getting better and better each week.

ouleaf
8/6/2010, 12:44 PM
The episode with his Mother was hilarious in just the most awful of ways.

olevetonahill
8/6/2010, 12:51 PM
[I]You’ll pardon me if I happen to be squealing with delight about this excellent,

Know how I Know yer ghey?:eek:

pilobolus
8/6/2010, 02:59 PM
Haven't seen the series yet, but saw his stand up routine on HBO, it provoked the most laughter I've experienced in a while.

TopDawg
8/6/2010, 05:11 PM
I'm a fan of the opening credits.

The lyrics:

Louie (x7)
Lou-eye
[repeat]

And then there's the one dude who flips off the camera as he walks by.

To me it's kinda like Seinfeld (the random life of a comedian) meets South Park (edginess) with a little...no, a lot...more edginess.

I wasn't really a Louis CK fan before, but I saw that Ricky Gervais was going to be on one of the episodes, so I watched just for that. Grew to like the show. It's on my DVR list.

Czar Soonerov
8/7/2010, 06:37 PM
I've had the theme song stuck in my head since the first episode. VK informed me it's an old 70's song. Lucky Louie was awesome and this one is looking to be just as good.

KC//CRIMSON
8/7/2010, 07:29 PM
I've had the theme song stuck in my head since the first episode. VK informed me it's an old 70's song. Lucky Louie was awesome and this one is looking to be just as good.

Yep, it's a remake of Hot Chocolate's Brother Louie by the band Stories. Some funk-soul goodness.

Harry Beanbag
9/8/2010, 04:32 AM
It's like packing a pipe.

Veritas
11/8/2010, 04:51 PM
I just found this effing GEM on Netflix and have been laughing my *** off all day.

ouleaf
11/8/2010, 06:33 PM
I just found this effing GEM on Netflix and have been laughing my *** off all day.

Louis C.K. has always been a fav. of mine. It's unfortunate that he has not found much mainstream success, b/c he is a very smart comic, it's just his brand of humor doesn't suit a wide range of audiences.

The show itself is great. It's kind of like a TV-MA version of Seinfeld.

ouleaf
7/4/2011, 08:42 PM
A couple of episodes into the new season and this show is as great as ever. It's not family entertainment, but I highly recommend.

delhalew
7/4/2011, 08:54 PM
I love when his little girl says matter factly that she likes Mommy better! I like shows that have the sort of uncomfortable moments that Louie has.

I feel ashamed that I've been watching Wilfred, which airs before Louie, as well.

mgsooner
7/4/2011, 09:14 PM
When he flips off the kid it is epic

delhalew
7/4/2011, 09:29 PM
When he flips off the kid it is epic

So awesome.

ouleaf
7/5/2011, 08:50 AM
I feel ashamed that I've been watching Wilfred, which airs before Louie, as well.

Hasn't been great, but hasn't been bad either. I think it's worth giving at least a few more episodes. I'm not sure it is really a show that has more than a couple of seasons in it, as it has a pretty limited spectrum. I'd hate to be a writer for that show, b/c I'll bet it becomes stale pretty quick.

yermom
7/5/2011, 02:28 PM
that's the one with the dog, isn't it?

delhalew
7/5/2011, 02:37 PM
that's the one with the dog, isn't it?

If by dog you mean, creepy dude in dog suit:D...then yes.

The Maestro
7/5/2011, 02:52 PM
If you can't appreciate the comedic value of a homeless guy being decapitated by a garbage truck and then spanking a lonely divorcee while she screams about being a bad girl to daddy until she breaks down and cries...well, then you just won't love Louis as much as I do.

yermom
7/5/2011, 02:58 PM
If by dog you mean, creepy dude in dog suit:D...then yes.

i was planning on watching that :D

i forgot about it...

TopDawg
7/5/2011, 04:13 PM
I need to reprogram the DVR. What's the date and time?

ouleaf
7/5/2011, 04:34 PM
I need to reprogram the DVR. What's the date and time?

Louie is on Thursdays at 9:30 pm central on FX...Wilfred is in the timeslot before it at 9pm

GDC
7/5/2011, 04:38 PM
Whatever happened to KC Crimson anyway?

Serge Ibaka
7/5/2011, 05:08 PM
I recently watched a LCK special on Netflix.

I liked it.

I think I just enjoy the guy's personality; even his jokes that weren't funny, I applauded the effort. He's likable.

ouleaf
7/8/2011, 09:12 AM
Another funny episode last night....The homeless man switch had me laughing out loud for long time...Just so random.

The interactions with the kids are always great too.

GDC
11/15/2011, 11:58 AM
Saw him do all new material at the Palms in Vegas over Halloween weekend. He is genius.