PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele Picking OU to Win 2011 BCS CG

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 04:13 PM
He just interviewed on talk radio earlier down here today and his preseason top 3 was:

1 OU
2 Ohio St
3 Bama

His analysis was pretty good and detailed. Interestingly, said that if our schedule and yours were reversed/swapped in 2010, that he would have given us the nod to repeat. He's predicting you guys and the buckeyes playing in the championship game.

Once the interview is available as a podcast, I'll send over the link. He was giving you guys a lot of love.

gaylordfan1
7/8/2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the update..... Would love to hear it.

badger
7/8/2010, 04:16 PM
It's all because we got the Bammer-tested, Saban-approved psychological motivational treatment this time around, right? ;)

Injuries are what worry me the most. It is a lot easier to get outta the "preseason" unscathed when you play cupcakes instead of contenders.

swardboy
7/8/2010, 04:25 PM
Stoops vs. the Vest....please let it be!

NormanPride
7/8/2010, 04:34 PM
I don't want to play them this year. I just have this bad feeling that Pryor will go all VY on everyone and then bolt for a crappy NFL career.

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 04:38 PM
I don't want to play them this year. I just have this bad feeling that Pryor will go all VY on everyone and then bolt for a crappy NFL career.

You can't be serious.

NormanPride
7/8/2010, 04:52 PM
Well sure, I'd love to play in the MNC game. But I hate teams like that. I'd rather play a boring team like you guys. :D

badger
7/8/2010, 04:56 PM
I would love to play Bammer again too. It was a lot of fun in 02/03 to have a home-and-home.

Widescreen
7/8/2010, 05:01 PM
Given that he picked us preseason #1, I would assume that he would pick us to win it all.

TahoeSOONER
7/8/2010, 05:15 PM
Other than P. White, OU has contained the QB pretty well over the years. I'd be excited to get the Buckeyes on the big stage.

Since71ASooner4Life
7/8/2010, 06:21 PM
Other than P. White, OU has contained the QB pretty well over the years. I'd be excited to get the Buckeyes on the big stage.

Being born in Columbus OH I've rooted for the Buckeye's evey game they have played for the lst 40 years except for one time in either 1977 or 1978. I'd be a tad conflicted, but guess this scenario playing out would make it twice. It would be a near can't lose outcome that I would be tickled to death with

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 06:33 PM
Here's the Steele interview. Enjoy!

http://www.finebaum.com/media/archives/show/20100708_PFRN_Hour2.mp3

Widescreen
7/8/2010, 06:39 PM
I'd be a tad conflicted

If you're "ASooner4Life", why would you be at all conflicted?

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 06:41 PM

Did you forget Vinnie Testaverde?;)

IronHorseSooner
7/8/2010, 06:58 PM
I like the reasoning he gives for it. Besides the schedule issue that we have beaten into the ground, he mentioned the injury issue, and gave some good examples, as well as the close loss factor. He also looks at areas of the game that the casual observer doesn't look.

However, I look for tOSU to drop one along the way, probably at Wisconsin.

adoniijahsooner
7/8/2010, 07:27 PM
Anyone know where I can get his magazine?

Salt City Sooner
7/8/2010, 09:32 PM
Don't google Ell Roberson.

Sooner04
7/8/2010, 09:49 PM
Don't google Ell Roberson.
Or Brad Smith.

yermom
7/8/2010, 10:02 PM
at least we beat Brad Smith... i think BEverage rung his bell at the end of that game in Columbia and put and end to that silliness :D

GKeeper316
7/8/2010, 11:08 PM
I don't want to play them this year.

keep talkin like that and pretty soon you'll be sportin orange and doin that lame *** waving wheat bull****.

act like a sooner fan ffs.

GKeeper316
7/8/2010, 11:09 PM
Or Brad Smith.

or seneca wallace. he was bein talked about for a heisman till he ran into an OU defense.

runnin qbs arent a problem for venables.

Sooner04
7/8/2010, 11:23 PM
at least we beat Brad Smith... i think BEverage rung his bell at the end of that game in Columbia and put and end to that silliness :D
Hmm. I don't remember that. Probably because I was in the stands, breathing into a bag, watching us give up 200 on the ground and 200 through the air to that dude.

Thank God for McCoy to Chester......in double coverage!

misplacedsooner
7/9/2010, 12:50 AM
id love for mr. lewis and mr. wort to meet and greet with mr. pryor

Eielson
7/9/2010, 01:13 AM
or seneca wallace. he was bein talked about for a heisman till he ran into an OU defense.

Did you already forget all the quarterbacks that were named earlier? If you shut down one, and get raped by 3...that's not success. Terrelle Pryor>Seneca Wallace.

OK2U
7/9/2010, 01:20 AM
This it's settled ^.
We're screwed.
Fire Stoops

yermom
7/9/2010, 05:00 AM
Hmm. I don't remember that. Probably because I was in the stands, breathing into a bag, watching us give up 200 on the ground and 200 through the air to that dude.

Thank God for McCoy to Chester......in double coverage!

he ran and ran until BEverage hit him and then almost immediately threw a pick and never seemed to do much else the rest of the game

at least that's how i remembered it

EDIT:

i was thinking of when Lance Mitchell hit him and Everage picked him off on the next play

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/100502aaa.html

our next drive we fake the FG for the go ahead score, then their last two possessions Smith throws a pick to Bassey, and fails to convert on 4th down

NormanPride
7/9/2010, 10:39 AM
The only reason we won that game was because Stoops went for the win and threw to Chester. I peed a little on that play.

And I don't want to play tOSU because I'm tired of that player hype. ESPN is going to be all over his jock and I'm tired of being in that position. Do I think we would win? Of course. It's a Tressel offense and their D isn't going to be a world beater. I just don't want to play them because it would be annoying. I wouldn't mind playing Bama or Penn State or anyone else.

goingoneight
7/9/2010, 11:33 AM
I'm really kinda shocked that ESPN hasn't called Bama the greatest team ever, Saban the greatest coach in CFB history, Greg McElroy unbeatable/best player ever or Ingram/Richardson greatest backfield duo ever yet.

OklahomaTuba
7/9/2010, 11:36 AM
Guess I better book my flight to Phoenix.

w0lfe
7/9/2010, 12:00 PM
I wouldnt say either way we are bad with mobile QBs. I think it just depends on the day. I mean you can go back and forth with all the mobile qbs we have played. The ones mentioned plus Reggie McNeal, Stanbeck, Griffin, Locker, Crouch, Young, Zac Robinson, Dixon, McCoy....

badger
7/9/2010, 12:01 PM
And I don't want to play tOSU because I'm tired of that player hype. ESPN is going to be all over his jock and I'm tired of being in that position.

You may recall that ESPN was really, reall on Chase McBoogereatin's jock as well before the Big 12 championship.

And then, stuff happened:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WdDKB4ujnUI/R1I-u29nFqI/AAAAAAAAAEI/CZAvVcKlBbA/s320/chase.jpg
The man is number 40 :D

Curly Bill
7/9/2010, 12:32 PM

Rip Van Winkle?

gaylordfan1
7/9/2010, 12:45 PM
I'm really kinda shocked that ESPN hasn't called Bama the greatest team ever, Saban the greatest coach in CFB history, Greg McElroy unbeatable/best player ever or Ingram/Richardson greatest backfield duo ever yet.

I read that Bama only returns 1-2 starters on defense. I wonder if they will have a drop-off this season. I know they are known for their defense, but how great could this new unit be? Just curious.... discuss......

Bourbon St Sooner
7/9/2010, 12:58 PM
I like the reasoning he gives for it. Besides the schedule issue that we have beaten into the ground, he mentioned the injury issue, and gave some good examples, as well as the close loss factor. He also looks at areas of the game that the casual observer doesn't look.

However, I look for tOSU to drop one along the way, probably at Wisconsin.

The thing about those close losses is you have to start finding out how to turn those into wins. Our record in games decided by 7 pts or less hasn't been great lately.

gaylordfan1
7/9/2010, 01:07 PM
^agreed, we have not been a good "close game" team in the past. We either beat the he77 out them or drop the close one. Who knows, maybe Landry can lead us past this. With a decent line and WR's that will catch the ball of coarse.

Bourbon St Sooner
7/9/2010, 01:09 PM
The only reason we won that game was because Stoops went for the win and threw to Chester. I peed a little on that play.

And I don't want to play tOSU because I'm tired of that player hype. ESPN is going to be all over his jock and I'm tired of being in that position. Do I think we would win? Of course. It's a Tressel offense and their D isn't going to be a world beater. I just don't want to play them because it would be annoying. I wouldn't mind playing Bama or Penn State or anyone else.

You're talking about ESPN here - the kings of hype. Did you not watch that LeBron James spectacle last night.

If tosu is in the title game, Terrelle Pryor is Vincy Young on steroids (although we would never accuse him of actually taking steroids).

If bammer is in the title game Nick Saban is the greatest coaching genius of all time (nevermind his stupidity in not signing Drew Brees).

If PSU is in the title game, we fill out the triad - JoePa is father, Tebow is son and Red Grange is the holy (galloping) ghost.

GKeeper316
7/9/2010, 04:07 PM

pat white + steve slaton

without slaton, white wouldnt have been a problem.

misplacedsooner
7/9/2010, 04:31 PM
there was also a guy named devine and some crazed fullback

GKeeper316
7/9/2010, 04:50 PM
noel devine... him go fast.

BoulderSooner79
7/9/2010, 07:56 PM
pat white + steve slaton

Slaton was banged up and left early in the game - it was Devine that ran wild. But Pat White was the key and gave fits to every team they played. WVUs record over his 4 years was very good. If you don't count the games Pat White was injured, it was *incredibly* good. He was hurt in both the games they lost in '07.

Eielson
7/9/2010, 08:01 PM
pat white + steve slaton

We struggled plenty without Slaton in the game.

JLEW1818
7/10/2010, 08:25 AM
that damn tight end

IronHorseSooner
7/10/2010, 08:56 AM
True, if Pat White isn't injured against USF and Pitt, they play tOSU and probably win the BCS Title Game. Funny thing is, if Sam didn't get his bell rung against Tech, we probably win and play tOSU.

NormanPride
7/10/2010, 09:56 AM
That game was the real title game IMO. Those two teams were the best in the nation. It's too bad that all our stars (except Sam) were on the sideline. :(

Sabanball
7/10/2010, 01:06 PM

Probably only because we are in the South.;)

SoonerStormchaser
7/10/2010, 01:12 PM
noel devine... him go fast.

Of course...he learned to got that fast by running from popo.

Sabanball
7/10/2010, 01:31 PM
I read that Bama only returns 1-2 starters on defense. I wonder if they will have a drop-off this season. I know they are known for their defense, but how great could this new unit be? Just curious.... discuss......

Our secondary is where the biggest question mark is. We will be very young and inexperienced in those positions. But considering we are not in a spread league like you guys, that might not hurt us as much as might would your team. Also, Nick himself coaches the d-backs, and that's considered his specialty. So, though we are green at those spots, I'm confident we can develop the talent that we have stockpiled over the last three recruiting cycles for those positions. Most think we'll be solid once again at lb and on the d-line. We will have Donta Hightower back at the jack position(who missed every game last year after the Arkansas game) and Marcel Dareus(of BCS CG fame). Both are NFL ready right now.

On O, we return 9 starters. Oddly enough, I look for Trent Richardson to assert the leadership role in the backfield over heisman trophy winner Mark Ingram. Most will tell you he is our best back. Let's be honest, pretty boy Colt McCoy would have won the heisman if he hadn't thrown up all over himself against the bugeaters last year. Also, we have a kid by the name of Eddie Lacy, out of Louisiana, that will get some totes this year. Add in having Julio at 100% healthy and I think we could be sick on O this season.

I think the biggest obstacle for us will be our schedule. We are on the road at Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU, and South Carolina--all large venues with over 80,000+ fans -- and have Florida at home. I think it will be tough to navigate that without a single loss, maybe even two. Also, we have what I think is a potential trap game on our schedule, Penn State. We play them in Tuscaloosa and they will have a freshman qb, but they traditionally play well against all SEC teams. This is an old intersectional rivalry game for us--we played them every year back in the
'80's, and won the series 6-4.

As good as I think we will be, I'm predicting a slight drop- off and a 10-2 season. No team in the SEC has gone undefeated inside the conference during the regular season for three straight years since Georgia did it with Hershel Walker back in 1982.

NormanPride
7/11/2010, 04:31 AM
Tennessee and LSU shouldn't be too hard, unless LSU is at night and all those drunken cajuns go berserk. SC and Arkie are real trap teams this year. Arkie has a good to great QB and nothing to lose, and SC is always dangerous with Spurrier there. You'll crush Florida and Penn State, IMO.

Sabanball
7/11/2010, 12:00 PM
Tennessee and LSU shouldn't be too hard, unless LSU is at night and all those drunken cajuns go berserk. SC and Arkie are real trap teams this year. Arkie has a good to great QB and nothing to lose, and SC is always dangerous with Spurrier there. You'll crush Florida and Penn State, IMO.

I agree those could be very difficult games. Ryan Mallet is the best returning qb in the SEC and arguably in the nation. Also, the Ole Ball Coach is expected to field his best Gamecock team ever since he's been in Columbia. Hell, Phil Steele actually likes them as a dark horse to contend for the NC--I won't go THAT far and had to almost pull off to the side of the road when I heard Phil actually say that on the radio last week while driving home from work, but I have to agree that I think they will very much improved over last year. But I still like our chances against both. And you could end up being right about the Penn St game--the disparity in talent between us and them should be evident by the final score if our guys show up.

For obvious reasons the Florida game concerns me and so does the Tennessee game--just like last season, we will pick up the vols after playing about 7-8 straight games without an off week and there is the rivalry factor. Most people think they are down talent-wise, but even when they are they always seem to play us tough. It took a last second, missed field goal on there part to lose to us last season, 12-10, in easily our toughest game of the year. Just like yours with Texas, though, this has been a streaky series and we currently have won 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 from them--if history is any indicator, then that certainly bodes well for us. If, IF, we can manage to get through sept and oct without a loss I'll be shocked, but stranger things have happened. I'm gonna stick with the percentages and say we finish around 10-2 and go to the sugar bowl.

silverwheels
7/11/2010, 12:11 PM
South Carolina still needs to find an offense. It's ridiculous that the Ol' Ball Coach hasn't had even a decent offense since he's been at SC.

Sabanball
7/11/2010, 02:17 PM
South Carolina still needs to find an offense. It's ridiculous that the Ol' Ball Coach hasn't had even a decent offense since he's been at SC.

That's definitely one of the stranger ironies in college football in recent years--Steve Spurrier not being able to find a qb. IF he can't get it done this year, I think he hangs it up. He looked like he was ready to quit after the Papa Johns Bowl at the end of last season.

NormanPride
7/12/2010, 09:26 AM
He loves the golf too much to quit. :D