PDA

View Full Version : u$c cant be ranked, lol

Collier11
7/8/2010, 12:27 PM
USC won't be ranked in coaches' poll

This will be an unranked season for USC in USA Today's football coaches' poll.

Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, told USA Today that because the school is under major NCAA sanctions and prohibited from playing in a bowl, it will be ineligible for the poll.

USC filed an appeal with the NCAA last month, asking that several sanctions of its football program be reduced because they are "too severe" and "inconsistent with precedent."

USC appealed only certain aspects of the NCAA's ruling. Among the penalties were a two-year bowl ban, four years of probation, scholarship losses and removal of several victories. The school will accept a bowl ban for the upcoming season and certain scholarship penalties in football, but believes the full sanctions were unduly harsh.

According to USA Today, it was expected that USC would be eligible for the coaches' poll in 2010 because it planned to appeal, but because the school accepted the postseason ban for this season, it became ineligible for the poll.

Teaff released a statement in which he said the AFCA informed USC athletic director Mike Garrett, USC coach Lane Kiffin, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott and BCS executive director Bill Hancock that the Trojans would be ineligible for the 2010 coaches' poll.

The coaches' poll is one of the rankings used in the formula to determine the BCS standings.

"American Football Coaches Association policy dictates that AFCA members who serve on the board of voters to determine national ranking shall not vote on any institution on major probation," Teaff said in the statement.

"Penalties imposed by the NCAA, or a representative conference, are classified as 'major' if the penalties include loss of postseason bowl participation and/or television appearances, and/or loss of 20 percent or more of grants in aid."

The NCAA's sanctions will not prevent USC from being considered for The Associated Press' poll, which is not part of the BCS formula.

In an e-mail to the Los Angeles Times last month, in which she said USC would keep its 2004 AP national title, AP sports editor Terry Taylor said: "The poll is intended to measure on-field performance. If teams are allowed to play, they're allowed to be ranked and USC certainly played in 2004."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Mississippi Sooner
7/8/2010, 12:34 PM
It's payback for 1974 when one of the greatest teams in Sooner history had to split the national title with the condoms because we were on probation and couldn't be ranked.

badger
7/8/2010, 12:41 PM
Same thing happened to Bammer in like 2002 or 2003 when we played them. Becauses quality win/sos was still a factor, they included them in an imaginary ranking to give us credit for the win over them, but they were not officially part of the BCS.

Not really a big deal. Recruits still appear to be dumb enough to go to SC even though they are playing for nothing at this point (except perhaps a big check under the table from boosters)

Jacie
7/8/2010, 12:47 PM
Recruits still appear to be dumb enough to go to SC even though they are playing for nothing at this point (except perhaps a big check under the table from boosters)

Not all of em.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-usc-seantrelhenderson

USC releases top recruit Henderson
Jul 6, 6:13 pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Southern California released top recruit Seantrel Henderson from his national letter of intent Tuesday, the latest blow to a school reeling from an NCAA scandal.

Henderson, a 330-pound offensive tackle from St. Paul, Minn., was one of the coveted members of coach Lane Kiffin’s first recruiting class.

sooner_born_1960
7/8/2010, 12:51 PM
Henderson had made a televised announcement saying he picked USC over Ohio State, Notre Dame and Florida, but he did not formally commit as the possibility of NCAA sanctions loomed over the Trojans.Is that really the same as a letter of intent? Maybe there wasn't anything to release him from.

BillyBall
7/8/2010, 01:00 PM
Is that really the same as a letter of intent? Maybe there wasn't anything to release him from.

http://usc.scout.com/2/956403.html

He signed, he just waited until after signing day. The delay in the NCAA's investigation put him in a tough situation.

goingoneight
7/8/2010, 01:53 PM
What can I say, other than... Lane Kiffin? Lane F'n Kiffin told you everything was gonna be okay. Pete Carroll bailed and the NCAA had been in town. You committed anyway because you either were dumb enough to believe him or the benefits haven't stopped coming in. So you want to see the beach and compete at a high level? Ummm... you DID have a Florida offer on the table.

Collier11
7/8/2010, 01:54 PM
The reason he still committed is because usc and Kiffin lied to him and told him they werent gonna get in trouble

yermom
7/8/2010, 02:29 PM
i'm sure the AP will still have their backs

goingoneight
7/8/2010, 08:37 PM
The reason he still committed is because usc and Kiffin lied to him and told him they werent gonna get in trouble

He's an 18-year-old man with plenty of family available. At least one person had to speak up and tell him "you know what? This Kiffin guy doesn't exactly seem straight-laced. And you know what else??? Why did Pete Carroll leave now after people have offered him better NFL jobs than freakin Seattle every off-season since 2003?

I'm just saying... I think even if the guy was the top pick in the 2013 draft, and his first college choice after the SUC was Oklahoma... the USC commitment thing looks just as bad on his part as it does the professional liar who lured him in. The situation reeked. He may be a good guy, may be a smart guy, but he does have egg on his face here.

badger
7/8/2010, 08:46 PM
i'm sure the AP will still have their backs

AP: We're still relevant in Compton!

texaspokieokie
7/9/2010, 08:28 AM
& the rest of south central.

SunnySooner
7/9/2010, 08:52 AM
SUC is the bastard son of CFB, all flash, no substance, no tradition, no fanbase like you find in OK, Tenn, Bama, GA, tejas, etc, where cheering for your team is a huge part of everyday life, as much a topic of polite conversation as someone's health or the weather . Little boys aren't born in LA, growing up dreaming of playing at SC, ala Sammy B or Ponyboy. Recruits go there because they think it's the fastest ticket to the big money of the NFL, and if they can even earn a little while in school, all the better. I hate SUC because they represent a lot of what is wrong and ugly about CFB and I've been giggling to myself ever since the hammer fell. I hope they become the SMU of the left coast, and that we don't hear from them again for a very long time.

gaylordfan1
7/9/2010, 01:17 PM
Is there any word where Henderson is going?

TexasLidig8r
7/9/2010, 01:22 PM
SUC is the bastard son of CFB, all flash, no substance, no tradition, no fanbase like you find in OK, Tenn, Bama, GA, tejas, etc,.

No tradition? Really?

They've had what... 6 Heisman winners?

7 recognized national championships?

A running back lineage that includes Mike Garrett, OJ, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell to Bush and Lendale White.

Only 3 losing seasons in 50 years.

You gotta give the devil his due.

You might not like them.
You might not respect them.
But, you gotta acknowledge their accomplishments.

gaylordfan1
7/9/2010, 01:24 PM
Their fan base includes all of Hollywood...... I guess we have Toby Keith. :D

SunnySooner
7/9/2010, 05:53 PM
No tradition? Really?

They've had what... 6 Heisman winners?

7 recognized national championships?

A running back lineage that includes Mike Garrett, OJ, Charles White, Marcus Allen, Ricky Bell to Bush and Lendale White.

Only 3 losing seasons in 50 years.

You gotta give the devil his due.

You might not like them.
You might not respect them.
But, you gotta acknowledge their accomplishments.

Lid, darlin', I know you're a horn, so I'll try again. It's not about their accomplishments on the field--they recruit top talent specifically for the reasons I previously stated, so they have had success. But as a Sooner, born and bred, I learned the OU chant and Boomer Sooner as a little girl, right along with Amazing Grace and the Star Spangled Banner. It's not like that with SC. They have OFTEN played to nearly empty stadiums, and I'm pretty sure more people in Bald Knob, Arkansas know who Lane Kiffen is than do in LA. Like I said, all style, no substance. SC fans only care when they're winning, and even then, not nearly as much as the fans at a lot of other traditional football schools.

EnragedOUfan
7/9/2010, 05:57 PM
This is awesome from a football point, but man this sucks for the players. Devastating actually......... I feel for them..........

Salt City Sooner
7/9/2010, 06:27 PM
Is there any word where Henderson is going?
In all probability, Miami.

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:04 AM
SunnySooner says usc has OFTEN played to nearly empty stadia; i ain't
buying that.

yermom
7/10/2010, 08:17 AM
SunnySooner says usc has OFTEN played to nearly empty stadia; i ain't
buying that.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/usc/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/05-mg-sec5.pdf

Coach: Paul Hackett
Captains: Ennis Davis, Eric Denmon, Zeke Moreno, Petros Papadakis
Aug. 27 W .15.Penn State..............22 29-5* N1... c78,902
Sept. 9 W .11.Colorado (N) (0:13).... 17-14 H.... 65,153
Sept. 23 W ..9.San Jose State............ 34-24+H.... 56,545
Sept. 30 L ..8.Oregon State............... 21-31& A.... c33,775
Oct. 7 L .18.Arizona....................... 15-31 H.... 49,342
Oct. 14 L ....Oregon........................9 17-28 H.... 54,031
Oct. 21 L ....Stanford (0:00)............. 30-32% A.... 50,125
Oct. 28 L ....California (HC)............. 16-28 H.... 54,393
Nov. 4 W ....Arizona State (N) (AS-4:21) 44-38@ A.... 49,865
Nov. 11 L ....Washington State (U)... 27-33 H.... 40,565
Nov. 18 W ....UCLA (0:09).................. 38-35 A.... c80,227
Nov. 25 L ....Notre Dame...............11 21-38 H.... 81,342
(5-7, 2-6, 8th T**) 309-337 694,265
N1-Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey
*-Kickoff Classic XVIII
+-USC's 500th game in the Coliseum; Trailing 24-12, USC scored 22
unanswered points in fourth quarter
&-Ended USC's Pac-10 record 26-game winning streak over Oregon State
%-Stanford scored 12 points in final 5:22
@-Two overtimes; Arizona State scored 29 consecutive second-half points to
force overtime
**-USC's first-ever last place finish in conference play
Coach: Pete Carroll
Captains: Charlie Landrigan, Troy Polamalu, Antuan Simmons
Sept. 1 W ....San Jose State............. 21-10 H.... 45,568
Sept. 8 L ....Kansas State............12 6-10 H.... 69,959
Sept. 22 L ....Oregon (N)(0:12)........7 22-24 A.... c45,765
Sept. 29 L ....Stanford........................ 16-21 H.... 53,962
Oct. 6 L ....Washington (0:00)....11 24-27 A... c72,946
Oct. 13 W ....Arizona State................ 48-17 H.... 43,508
Oct. 20 L ....Notre Dame.................. 16-27* A.... c80,795
Oct. 27 W ....Arizona (1:50)............... 41-34 A.... 46,399
Nov. 3 W ....Oregon State (HC)....... 16-13+H.... 44,880
Nov. 10 W ....California (R)................ 55-14& A.... 33,506
Nov. 17 W ....UCLA........................20 27-0 H.... 88,588
(6-5, 5-3, 5th) 292-197 625,876
LAS VEGAS BOWL
Dec. 25 L ....Utah.............................. 6-10 N1... 22,385
(6-6) 298-207 648,261
N1-Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada

if half-empty counts... (home games in bold)

they weren't exactly excited to see USC play before PC's goons were running things :D

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:27 AM
attendance not as good as i thot, but even 40k is not "nearly empty".

yermom
7/10/2010, 08:35 AM
i can't imagine seeing 40k+ empty seats at a game

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:38 AM
true, but it's still not "nearly empty".

just a matter of semantics, not really a disagreement.

if you get to any game early enough, you can see 40,000 empty seats.

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:39 AM
how about later than 2001 ???

yermom
7/10/2010, 08:39 AM
our worst crowd under Blake was 61,217 and we could almost hold 76k back then

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 08:45 AM
if they'd kept blake one more year, they'd have lost me (and my wife)from
season ticket rolls.

we probably wouldn't have been the only ones to leave.

i had extra tickets (north end zone) @some of those games & couldn't give them away. once sold a pair for 5 bucks.

StoopTroup
7/10/2010, 09:55 AM
how about later than 2001 ???

You know how I know you are wrong? You are still posting and asking questions after a few really good posters bitchslapped you back to the empty general admission seats in Pasadena. That's how.

texaspokieokie
7/10/2010, 09:58 AM
can't argue with that.

badger
7/10/2010, 11:35 AM
attendance not as good as i thot, but even 40k is not "nearly empty".

Of course, their endzone's filled with Heisman jerseys, so it's not like they try to fill the stadium with people to begin with :D

40k is kind of pathetic for a program with as much history as them, though. I'm sure they'll blame the fact that they're playing in an ex-Olympic venue not designed for college sports and they're an elitist private school or some other excuse :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
7/10/2010, 11:40 AM
What is shocking is Pete's first game. You have a brand new coach, it's the first game of the season, and all you can muster is 45,000?

Here are some stats for comparison:

In John Blake's first game, we had over 65,000 show up, despite having finished the previous season 5-5-1.

By the time we played Kansas, we were 0-3. Yet 64,000 showed up for the game.
By the final game of the season it was clear we were going to have one of the worst seasons in OU history. There was no chance of bowling; there was no chance of even having a winning season. Yet 61,000 showed up against Tech.

The dismal attendance stats of USC's do lend credence that USC is more Miami than Notre Dame in terms of tradition.

freshchris05
7/10/2010, 11:41 AM
...and oh yeah there's more people in LA than in the state of Oklahoma. Somebody's not buying tickects.

Leroy Lizard
7/10/2010, 11:58 AM
USC is a weird school. The fan base doesn't live near campus and the team's stadium is miles away.

I lived in the area and knew many of the fans. Going to the game is just not something they think much about. Being a fan of USC is more like being a fan of the Lakers than anything else. You buy the jerseys and put the flags on your car, but there is no sense of community. Again, USC's fan base is more like Miami's.

BoulderSooner79
7/10/2010, 11:12 PM
The Coliseum is a weird stadium with many of the high/corner seats almost unusable. But even counting that, 45k is a pretty small crowd given an elite program and and almost guaranteed good weather.

Sabanball
7/10/2010, 11:37 PM
Keep in mind too SC is a private school.

I agree with a earlier poster--you may hate USC, you may love USC, but you must respect what they have accomplished.

To some extent, USC is to you guys what Notre Dame is to us. While you guys havent beaten them since 1971, we are 5-2 against the condoms, but only 1-5 against the Irish.

Sooner04
7/11/2010, 12:15 AM
i can't imagine seeing 40k+ empty seats at a gameYou could've under Blake. They counted tickets sold, but butts in seats told a far different story. Hell, they used to give all the tickets in the south endzone to FCA one week and troops from Fort Sill the next.

'98 was a pretty sad state of affairs for OU football. '97 may have been worse. That eATMe game was like a mausoleum. I was there for the Tech game in '98, and I can promise you there was nowhere NEAR 61,000 in the stands that day.

texaspokieokie
7/11/2010, 07:40 AM
Leroy Lizard

i think the Colieseum is fairly close to the USC campus.

Leroy Lizard
7/11/2010, 03:45 PM
I was thinking of the Rose Bowl. My bad.

Jason White's Third Knee
7/13/2010, 08:47 AM
Reggie - Yes, officer, I ... See More (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)know I was speeding. This too shall pass and hopefully we can grow stronger from this.

Officer - God does work in mysterious ways, Mr. Bush. I'll just let you off with a warning.

[officer walks to car behind Bush's and starts to write him a ticket]

Incoming freshman- What's the charge officer?

Officer - that guy up there was speeding.

Incoming Freshman - What? So he should get the ticket, right? This ticket is for him!

Officer - Well, he is exempt, but you aren't. I can give you the ticket. I mean, he was REALLY moving. In fact, I am going to take away your license for a couple of years. You'll live obscurity, but it won't stigmatize you THAT bad.

Incoming Freshman - Wait?!?! What?!?! Just because I was behind him?? Can I get in a different lane?

Officer - Only if you are a junior or a senior. You are just a freshman. You are gonna have to take the fall for this one. I mean, you knew that Snoop Dog, and Nick Lehey were hanging out here. That should have been your red flag.

Incoming Freshman - Well, that's why I came here. But Coach Kiffin said we would just get a slap on the wrist...

[Meanwhile in hell, Satan is counting and stacking the souls of Reggie Bush, Pete Carroll, Rod Blagojavich, Keanu Reeves, the Jonas Brothers...]

TexasLidig8r
7/13/2010, 09:37 AM
Many are comparing apples to turnips.

In the fall, in the State of Oklahoma.. what else is there to do besides watch Ou? No pro sports teams (well.. except for Ou's football team and until the OKC Sonics started up)... no major relevant D1 football programs competing with Ou (sorry, Okie Lite doesn't count except when they had Barry Sanders). Ou has a monopoly on the entertainment and sports dollar and fandom in the state.

On the Left Coast... let's see.. want to go sailing or boating off the coast? surfing? some diving perhaps? No? Okay, let's drive 90 miles and we're in the Sierra Madres.. get some hiking done. No? Okay.. let's drive the 220 miles to .. VEGAS BABEE!! No? Ok.. well, there's always UCLA to watch, or the Lakers or the Clips or the LA Kings... Dodgers and Angels are competing, let's go watch them? No? Ok, let's go drive down PCH to San Diego. Weather's great, surf's up.

USC's undergraduate enrollment -- about 16,000.
Cost of tuition with room and board -- about $50K annually.

All that adds up to USC requiring many more T-shirt fans to fill the seats and they have to compete with many more venues, teams and distractions.

RedstickSooner
7/13/2010, 09:51 AM
Lid, you're goin' with a logical fallacy there, buddy. The fact that die-hard fanship is born out of a lack of options doesn't mean it isn't die-hard fanship.

For a moment, let's pretend the urban legend about eskimos and snow were true. If it were, would you argue that because they're surrounded by snow it's not noteworthy that they have so many terms? Would you argue that they simply didn't get enough rain to have any options with their language?

That's a bogus line of reasoning, yo. Fact is, USC does *not* have a full-on football tradition like proper football schools. It just wins a lot. Add to that the fact that it's a private school (with all the shelter from scrutiny that provides) and that, when faced with a major infraction, the school showed that its primary interest in rules enforcement is protecting itself from getting caught -- and we fans have an awfully hard time accepting that kids are flocking to the program purely to play in front of fans that wouldn't give a rat's patoot about the program were it not competing for a national title, and who don't live football the way the rest of us do.

Sure, maybe we do it because we don't have as many interesting things to do outside of football, but I don't see that as taking away from our interest. Football is the greatest sport on this earth. I've no problem with it being the only sport I'm interested in. My only qualm is that the season is too short. Something they wouldn't even begin to understand out in socal.

texaspokieokie
7/13/2010, 10:02 AM
i think Lid makes sense.

Flagstaffsooner
7/13/2010, 11:19 AM

In the fall, in the State of Oklahoma.. what else is there to do besides watch Ou? No pro sports teams (well.. except for Ou's football team and until the OKC Sonics started up)... no major relevant D1 football programs competing with Ou (sorry, Okie Lite doesn't count except when they had Barry Sanders). Ou has a monopoly on the entertainment and sports dollar and fandom in the state.

On the Left Coast... let's see.. want to go sailing or boating off the coast? surfing? some diving perhaps? No? Okay, let's drive 90 miles and we're in the Sierra Madres.. get some hiking done. No? Okay.. let's drive the 220 miles to .. VEGAS BABEE!! No? Ok.. well, there's always UCLA to watch, or the Lakers or the Clips or the LA Kings... Dodgers and Angels are competing, let's go watch them? No? Ok, let's go drive down PCH to San Diego. Weather's great, surf's up.

Not like austin where you can get freebies from Lid in the Greyhound mens room.:texan:

TexasLidig8r
7/13/2010, 11:20 AM
Not like austin where you can get freebies from Lid in the Greyhound mens room.:texan:

That would be a long commute from fashionable Preston Hollow.

KantoSooner
7/13/2010, 11:42 AM
Lid has a good point, but doesn't seal the case. I moved back to Okiestan from Tokyo two years ago. Nowhere in OK, not in the entire state, can I find the number of restaurants/bars/hostess joints/massage parlors/'health massage' institutions etc. that were available within a 15 minute radius of my residence there. Further, museums, pro-sports, etc were at an embarrassinig concentration.

And I'm pleased as punch to be where I am.

Now, partially that's because I left Japan single, shed of the she-b....well, we won't go there. But partially it's because there really are things to do 'round here that you can't do in a lot of other places. (and many of them, as you know well, are the same sorts of things you can do in places like.....Texas).

The real difference is not relative scarcity of options, it is identification with a place and group of people. We've got it here, you have a pretty mighty version going down your way. People in Cal? Not so much.

It's one reason their state is dying

Bourbon St Sooner
7/13/2010, 04:00 PM

USC's undergraduate enrollment -- about 16,000.
Cost of tuition with room and board -- about $50K annually.

All that adds up to USC requiring many more T-shirt fans to fill the seats and they have to compete with many more venues, teams and distractions.

Yeah, cause real fans can't be expected to give up 6 freakin days a year from scuba diving and VEGAS.

Leroy Lizard
7/13/2010, 08:22 PM

During the fall, all the LA people are too busy watching their local pro football team to go to a USC game.

goingoneight
7/13/2010, 09:12 PM
USC is like Miami. Some proud alumni, some true-blue fans... but one of the biggest cities in the country cannot muster football fans to fill a stadium and watch a game? No, friends... that has nothing to do with "all the left coast has to offer." That is simply no one giving a damn. I'm sorry, but you don't deserve good football if you don't support it IMO.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 09:21 AM
But.. getting back to the original post and premise...

It's. ... TRIVIA QUESTION TIME!!!

Can anyone name the year and the team that caused the coaches to ban teams on probation from appearing in their poll?

(psst.. I'll give you a hint.. think.. mid 1970s!)

Mississippi Sooner
7/14/2010, 09:24 AM
But.. getting back to the original post and premise...

It's. ... TRIVIA QUESTION TIME!!!

Can anyone name the year and the team that caused the coaches to ban teams on probation from appearing in their poll?

(psst.. I'll give you a hint.. think.. mid 1970s!)

I believe I already made a reference to that incident early in this thread.

;)

texaspokieokie
7/14/2010, 09:24 AM

texaspokieokie
7/14/2010, 09:26 AM
i don't think you can compare miami to usc.

texaspokieokie
7/14/2010, 09:28 AM
forgot to add, OU, not ranked in one poll (11-0) & usc #1 with 10-1-1 record.

Mississippi Sooner
7/14/2010, 09:45 AM
Now, I may not be exactly right about this, but wasn't it Darrell Royal himself who led the charge to keep the Sooners out of the coaches poll?

I remember him making a comment about how he resented even having to play them.

Mississippi Sooner
7/14/2010, 09:53 AM
Just to stay with the 1974 Sooners theme for another minute, here is the Sports Illustrated article about them that year. It's one of my favorite SI articles ever, along with the one about the 1957 team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089187/1/index.htm

47straight
7/14/2010, 09:58 AM
Now, I may not be exactly right about this, but wasn't it Darrell Royal himself who led the charge to keep the Sooners out of the coaches poll?

I remember him making a comment about how he resented even having to play them.

Darrell was mad because Switzer could outrecruit African-American student-athletes, and he knew it was his own fault for waiting so long to integrate his own team.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 10:06 AM
Darrell was mad because Switzer could outrecruit African-American student-athletes, and he knew it was his own fault for waiting so long to integrate his own team.

He wasn't crazy about the rampant cheating undertaken, and later admitted by Switzer either.

texaspokieokie
7/14/2010, 10:10 AM
Darrell became paranoid when it camo to Switzer, & retired rather than have to play OU anymore. (after the 76 came,5 losses & 1 tie in last 6 games)

KantoSooner
7/14/2010, 10:12 AM
Now Lid, I know y'all down in the SWC were all pure and Christian an' all, but, if Darrell was upset in the least by Switzer's activities, it was only because Barry was faster out of the blocks.
The SWC took a back set to NO ONE in terms of rampant cheatin' and corruption. They was CHAMPEENS by God!
Were the moral dividing lines so bright as you imply, one might be driven to ask why so many young Texans become Sooners each and every year.

Sooner in Tampa
7/14/2010, 10:23 AM
Just to stay with the 1974 Sooners theme for another minute, here is the Sports Illustrated article about them that year. It's one of my favorite SI articles ever, along with the one about the 1957 team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089187/1/index.htm

THE KING SPEAKS!!!!

Has the probation had any effect on recruiting? "None," says Switzer, "because a lot of schools we recruit against are on permanent probation. They're never going to any bowls."

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 11:51 AM
Now Lid, I know y'all down in the SWC were all pure and Christian an' all, but, if Darrell was upset in the least by Switzer's activities, it was only because Barry was faster out of the blocks.
The SWC took a back set to NO ONE in terms of rampant cheatin' and corruption. They was CHAMPEENS by God!
Were the moral dividing lines so bright as you imply, one might be driven to ask why so many young Texans become Sooners each and every year.

We aren't talking conferences.. we're talking Ou's dubious past. This isn't the SEC -- SEC -- SEC we're talking about here.

Why have high school kids gone to Norman?

Hmmmm.... Big Red ring any bells?

Sooner in Tampa
7/14/2010, 12:00 PM
We aren't talking conferences.. we're talking Ou's dubious past. This isn't the SEC -- SEC -- SEC we're talking about here.

**** you lid...Bomar was an idiot and he paid for price for it!

Collier11
7/14/2010, 12:01 PM

See LID, the diff with the NCAA is taking a few grand that you didnt earn is far worse than drug running and weapons charges. Im not saying what Bomar did isnt bad cus it is horrible but in reality, what some of your guys have done recently is far worse or just the same.

And we all know that the diff between OU and ut is that ut didnt get caught as much ;)

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 12:21 PM
He wasn't crazy about the rampant cheating undertaken, and later admitted by Switzer either.

I don't think Royal's cruelty toward athletes is what the conference had in mind either when they imposed scholarship limitations.

And don't forget that DKR landed his team on SWC and NCAA probation as well.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 12:23 PM
I don't think Royal's cruelty toward athletes is what the conference had in mind either when they imposed scholarship limitations.

oh Lord... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Can't WAIT to hear the facts behind this opinion.

KantoSooner
7/14/2010, 01:29 PM

Quite, let's confine ourselves to Tejas.....who got probation and slaps about as often as anyone else.

As to Big Red being the sole reason (or, to be fair to you <why do I bother?> an example of rampant payment of players) players come to OU, I reply that I really hope that both you and UT recruiters believe that. If so, then you'll continually chase that red herring and fail to recognize that, though you have a big ole university in a great city with a great program, there are differences in atmosphere that many prefer up here in Okiestan. The pipeline will never go dry, my friend. And it has nothing to do with cheatin'. Stop that line of thought, you're at risk of aggifying yourself.

Leroy Lizard
7/14/2010, 01:38 PM

What's there to dispute?

47straight
7/14/2010, 01:41 PM

Documentation in the 1973 time frame, please.

Hint - there is none.

47straight
7/14/2010, 01:41 PM

Meat on the Hoof.

47straight
7/14/2010, 01:43 PM

That was improper benefits after the kids were in Norman. No inducement. You're starting to sound like orangebloods.com, where anyone that Texas loses in recruiting is obviously overrated and obviously was paid off.

That's far worse than being a GDC-clone, btw.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 03:04 PM
Documentation in the 1973 time frame, please.

Hint - there is none.

Hint.. uh... hmmm.... in the 1973 time frame?

ok...

September 20, 1973 - NCAA found University of Oklahoma football team violated extra benefits; including improper recruiting inducements; lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; excessive number of official visits; excessive time for official visits; in addition to academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct.

Result: 2 year Probation, 2 year post season ban, 2 year television ban, one assistant football coach not allowed to recruit.

Lavish apology please!

But.. let's not get started on the Ou on probation pablum.

UT Fan: "You are cheaters!"
OU Fan: "So big deal, eveyone does it!"
UT Fan: "That's no excuse!"
OU Fan: "You cheat too!"
UT Fan: "Not as bad as you do!"
OU Fan: "You suck!"
UT Fan: "You suck!"
Ou Fan: "YOU SUCK MORE!"
UT Fan: "Nuh uh.. YOU SUCK MORE!"

It would have been fun years ago... now it's just tiresome.

TexasLidig8r
7/14/2010, 03:05 PM
That was improper benefits after the kids were in Norman. No inducement. You're starting to sound like orangebloods.com, where anyone that Texas loses in recruiting is obviously overrated and obviously was paid off.

That's far worse than being a GDC-clone, btw.

You been to orangebloods recently?

Now, it's mostly the old guard there arguing with Nebraska fans.

MiccoMacey
7/14/2010, 05:30 PM

This is true.

It's sad to have to see Scholz, tummer and a few others actually defend OU in order to attack Nebraska.

Actually, it's quite hysterical. ;)

47straight
7/14/2010, 07:13 PM
Hint.. uh... hmmm.... in the 1973 time frame?

ok...

September 20, 1973 - NCAA found University of Oklahoma football team violated extra benefits; including improper recruiting inducements; lodging, publicity and transportation; tryouts; excessive number of official visits; excessive time for official visits; in addition to academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct.

Result: 2 year Probation, 2 year post season ban, 2 year television ban, one assistant football coach not allowed to recruit.

Lavish apology please!

Um, no. The "cheating" that Royal was mad about, under most stories, was the alleged spying on practices from I-35. I assumed that's the "cheating" you mentioned, because Royal accused Switzer of it and Switzer later admitted that there was a dude up there, the extent of contact with and control of was never made clear. And that was after the 1973 time frame.

Surely you're not saying that Royal got mad at Switzer just because Oklahoma was put on probation. In spite of the danger of devolving into the fictious conversation of "You cheated!" "Well, you did too!" - the fact is that UT indeed was penalized by the NCAA under Royal.

That doesn't excuse OU's infractions - but it makes you wonder how you could excuse Royal's dirty-handedness towards Switzer (in the 1973 time frame) on the basis of OU's probation.

Are you saying, in essence, Lid, that Royal was a hypocrite?

I guess it's better place to be than a man bitter about his own history of race relations.

47straight
7/14/2010, 07:14 PM

I hear from the ********* owner over the airwaves, and I hear from his ********* minions around Austin. I try not to visit the website.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2010, 09:02 AM
Um, no. The "cheating" that Royal was mad about, under most stories, was the alleged spying on practices from I-35. I assumed that's the "cheating" you mentioned, because Royal accused Switzer of it and Switzer later admitted that there was a dude up there, the extent of contact with and control of was never made clear. And that was after the 1973 time frame.

Ou has been on probation so many times, I get them mixed up.

Pick a decade. Ou on probation? uh. .yep. Well. .except the 90s and look what your record was in that decade. hmmmm...

In any event, stirring it up on this topic is so 3 years ago and it is tiresome. I'll think of something new and different instead. :D

As an aside.. have you tried Kenichi or Uchi yet? If not, I highly recommend them.

Mississippi Sooner
7/15/2010, 09:35 AM
Damn it, now I'm craving sushi. Too early in the morning for that.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2010, 09:51 AM
Damn it, now I'm craving sushi. Too early in the morning for that.

NEVER too early for some good sashimi.

Kenichi has a "Miami roll" that is the bomb... kobe hot rock too...

Here in Dallas, there's a place called Tei Tei. It's on Henderson Street. They have lobster sashimi.... they split the live lobster in half, pull the tail meat away, diced, put back in the tail... they bring it to you on the plate with the front half of the lobster.. which more often than not... is still moving a bit.

All sorts of deliciousness.

When you're through with the tail meat, they take the body and claw meat, make a miso soup with the lobster roe and claw meat... yummm.

texaspokieokie
7/15/2010, 09:54 AM
gross

MiccoMacey
7/15/2010, 10:57 AM

Here in Dallas, there's a place called Tei Tei. It's on Henderson Street. They have lobster sashimi.... they split the live lobster in half, pull the tail meat away, diced, put back in the tail... they bring it to you on the plate with the front half of the lobster.. which more often than not... is still moving a bit.

When you're through with the tail meat, they take the body and claw meat, make a miso soup with the lobster roe and claw meat... yummm.

I've eaten a lot of extremely gross things (and some were moving...if you know what I mean ;)), but THAT takes the cake.

SoonerAtKU
7/15/2010, 11:41 AM

That seems a little too extreme for most. It reminds me of the bit that bad comedians and loud drunks do when they talk about liking rare steak.

"just walk her out here and I'll carve off what I want"

KantoSooner
7/15/2010, 01:57 PM
Ah, but do they have coddled whale semen? Probably not (the whole whale thingie would imply not). Beats both lobster AND sea urchin for sheer "Who The F*ck Thought THIS Up?"
And yet, after about 7,000 awa moris (151 proof japanese rum, made from molasses), you find yourself eating it. Of course, at that point, you'd pretty much eat whatever the bar hostess told you to.

Mississippi Sooner
7/15/2010, 01:59 PM
'Scuse me. I have to go clean off my shoes now.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2010, 02:21 PM
Ah, but do they have coddled whale semen? Probably not (the whole whale thingie would imply not). Beats both lobster AND sea urchin for sheer "Who The F*ck Thought THIS Up?"
And yet, after about 7,000 awa moris (151 proof japanese rum, made from molasses), you find yourself eating it. Of course, at that point, you'd pretty much eat whatever the bar hostess told you to.

Nicely done sir... well played.

And.. I've never developed a strong liking for uni...

http://www.masuya.com.au/images/menu_07/musashi/UniSushi.jpg

NormanPride
7/15/2010, 02:53 PM
Uni is very fishy. Reminds me of the "extras" in crawfish.

TexasLidig8r
7/15/2010, 03:13 PM
Uni is very fishy. Reminds me of the "extras" in crawfish.

Its texture is pretty off-putting.

47straight
7/15/2010, 04:44 PM
I love sushi, but I'm a cheap bastard and don't hit those spots very often. Especially Uchi. Only been when someone else is paying.

stoopified
7/15/2010, 04:57 PM
What is shocking is Pete's first game. You have a brand new coach, it's the first game of the season, and all you can muster is 45,000?

Here are some stats for comparison:

In John Blake's first game, we had over 65,000 show up, despite having finished the previous season 5-5-1.

By the time we played Kansas, we were 0-3. Yet 64,000 showed up for the game.
By the final game of the season it was clear we were going to have one of the worst seasons in OU history. There was no chance of bowling; there was no chance of even having a winning season. Yet 61,000 showed up against Tech.

The dismal attendance stats of USC's do lend credence that USC is more Miami than Notre Dame in terms of tradition.To be fair the OU games are estimated attendance based on ticket sales.I sat in a lot of announced crowds of 60,000 + in the Blake years that were more likely 45,000 or even less.I do however agree OU's fanbase is far more loyal.

Sooner04
7/15/2010, 04:59 PM
To be fair the OU games are estimated attendance based on ticket sales.I sat in a lot of announced crowds of 60,000 + in the Blake years that were more likely 45,000 or even less.I do however agree OU's fanbase is far more loyal.
I'd say we've got 50,000 who are loyal. Maybe a few more now that we've been really good for over ten years.

But they were dropping like flies in the 90s. Hell, when I was in high school you couldn't find an OU fan around. Now all my high-school classmates are attending games and sporting the gear. Frontrunning bastards.

I've earned my OU stripes. I watched John Blake go for two when down nine against Colorado in '98. Oy gevalt!