PDA

View Full Version : Alabama cancels skool

No1Better
7/8/2010, 10:59 AM
http://blog.al.com/live/2010/07/alabama_cancels_classes_for_da.html

OUMallen
7/8/2010, 11:04 AM
Woooooow. I mean, we all knew football > academics anymore, but that's awesome.

goingoneight
7/8/2010, 11:21 AM
If they're a small town that's going to be overwhelmed with visitors, I can see maybe some classes rescheduled or bumped to accommodate the game. If we were playing a Thursday night game, whose mind would be on their classroom work? How many would even show up?
To add, does this affect student-athletes?
It does seem odd until you think about it.

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2010, 11:28 AM
1. They're not giving us an extra day off, they're taking a day off we already had and just moving it.
2. goingoneight makes a great point. Getting around Tuscaloosa on a gameday is absolutely ridiculous. Parking at the school is out of the question unless you have a law school tag for your car-all the other nominally student-reserved lots are sold to others on gamedays.

badger
7/8/2010, 11:48 AM
Frozo, that article really made it sound like Bammer was canceling school for football :D

KantoSooner
7/8/2010, 12:08 PM
Now, cancelling school for football is not a bad idea. Alabama/Georgia State, however, might not qualify as 'football'.

I'm thinking more like Roman Gladiatorial Spectacle. something on the order of 'Christians vs. Lions'.

badger
7/8/2010, 12:25 PM
Is this that game that ESPN Mag featured a few months back, where Georgia State is looking to move up to Div. 1, but Bammer only offered them a game if they'd play this season, in the program's second year in existence?

Get ready to see the scoreboard lit up to triple digits if so. Poor Georgia State. But hey, they're probably getting a big paycheck in return for their big arse whippin'

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2010, 12:28 PM
Frozo, that article really made it sound like Bammer was canceling school for football :D

A blog posting only gave half the facts?

Wanna see my surprised face?

FWIW, a lot of students (at least law students) are annoyed by the change, as people had made travel plans around the original Thursday off.

HBick
7/8/2010, 01:29 PM
I had always hoped for a Thursday night game in my college career. Alas, it never came to fruition. I thought it'd be cool to get out of class at Gaylord and walk over to the Stadium. But this raises a good point, they would have to cancel classes due to the sheer amount of people, they'll probably cancel that Friday as well.

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2010, 01:30 PM
According to the school, Friday classes will be as usual.

SunnySooner
7/8/2010, 01:31 PM
Does OU not cancel classes the Friday before the RRS anymore? They did when I was there. I think they used to cancel the Monday after the game, but it got to where the campus was so deserted on Friday they moved it. That way you could go down Thursday night and have all day Friday to yell "TEXAS SUCKS!!!" at anyone in burnt orange, beautiful. If they have done away with that, I will be severely disappointed.

badger
7/8/2010, 01:33 PM
I had always hoped for a Thursday night game in my college career. Alas, it never came to fruition. I thought it'd be cool to get out of class at Gaylord and walk over to the Stadium. But this raises a good point, they would have to cancel classes due to the sheer amount of people, they'll probably cancel that Friday as well.

Stoops doesn't like Thursday/Friday games... I think the only times we've had them were at University of Tulsa, but we had a national television audience, so that was cool.

(what wasn't cool was the television they placed in one of the endzones with the ESPN broadcast as opposed to having a real Soonervision-like Jumbotron to have replays and highlights. I'm sure the TV would look big in someone's living room, but in a 30k stadium it looked really tiny)

Both those games were Friday night if I recall correctly - and both had embarrassing first halves for OU. We were down by either a touchdown or two in the most recent one, with us only having a 3-0 at halftime lead in the other one, in 2002 I think.

goingoneight
7/8/2010, 02:00 PM
In 2007, we never played Tulsa.

No... we made the trip up to T-Town for ESPN to pan away from whatever game we might have had to talk about poor, 0-and-3 Notre Dame. That broadcast was sickening. They spent the whole night on SportsCenter talking about ND, too.

sooner59
7/8/2010, 03:51 PM
Does OU not cancel classes the Friday before the RRS anymore? They did when I was there. I think they used to cancel the Monday after the game, but it got to where the campus was so deserted on Friday they moved it. That way you could go down Thursday night and have all day Friday to yell "TEXAS SUCKS!!!" at anyone in burnt orange, beautiful. If they have done away with that, I will be severely disappointed.

They still do. Mostly because it is logistically impossible to start drinking, go to Dallas, check into a hotel and be wasted while talking **** to tejas fans if you are in class. :D

badger
7/8/2010, 04:12 PM
They still do. Mostly because it is logistically impossible to start drinking, go to Dallas, check into a hotel and be wasted while talking **** to tejas fans if you are in class. :D

I wish they gave kiddos an extra day so they had a defacto fall break similar to the spring semester's break. it's a long time between labor day and RRS weekend.

Most prof's hated when the Snow Day was called in 2000, since OU is setup as M/W/F and Tu/Th class sessions. With Friday already gone and then Monday off too, some sessions didn't meet for a week. Thus, no more Snow Days.

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 04:28 PM
I predict right now we will have a lower attendance for this game than we did for our spring game this year.

oudavid1
7/8/2010, 04:28 PM
thats awesome, if OU did it, it would still be cool

TexasLidig8r
7/8/2010, 04:50 PM
wow.. who will fill in all the coloring books that day?

:confused:

:D

badger
7/8/2010, 04:56 PM
I predict right now we will have a lower attendance for this game than we did for our spring game this year.

Really? You guys just won the title. We had no problem getting fans to show up to games in 2001... and scalpers had no problem marking up cheap seats for said games :P

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2010, 04:57 PM
wow.. who will fill in all the coloring books that day?

:confused:

More to the point, who's going to polish the crystal football?

OUMallen
7/8/2010, 05:12 PM

All 63 of them! :confused:

Frozen Sooner
7/8/2010, 05:16 PM
All 63 of them! :confused:

Nah, so far as I'm aware Alabama only has one crystal football. 13 national titles overall, I guess, but I'm always willing to go with just 8 AP titles. :D

Sabanball
7/8/2010, 05:42 PM
Really? You guys just won the title. We had no problem getting fans to show up to games in 2001... and scalpers had no problem marking up cheap seats for said games :P

This is a total junk game. North Texas and Tulsa are not the same as Georgia State. At least they have established football programs--GSU is just starting theirs up. Scheduling this game with this opponent was nothing more than an effort to create an artificial 'off week' before the Auburn game.

OUstud
7/8/2010, 05:47 PM

:D Man, I'm excited for October 1-2...

HBick
7/8/2010, 06:12 PM

Oh yeah they cancel school on Friday, but it's because the years they didn't (according to an old professor) was that most students didn't show up, then teachers were canceling classes and finally they just canceled the day. Norma on Fridays is a ghost town, it's sad really. This year I only have class MWF so I plan on going down Wednesday night and doing it big for 4 nights. And if that rumor that the game will be at 2:30 holds true, I'll be in for a great ending for the RRS. And after the last few years, I feel like OU is going to win this year, it's going to be a tight game, but I see Q returning a pick for a TD in the 2nd half.

You can quote me on that too.

prrriiide
7/8/2010, 07:11 PM

Lid = http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/982I6vVB/1050122.jpg = Froz