PDA

View Full Version : Man vs Wild versus Survivorman

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 01:49 AM
I gotta go with Man vs Wild. More entertaining.

Collier11
7/8/2010, 02:17 AM
Man Vs Wild easily, Survivor Man spends 7 days in one spot and can rarely even catch any food. Boring

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 02:58 AM
I like that Bear Grylls gets technical advice before going on the walkabout. It's not as realistic, but I like the commentary.

yermom
7/8/2010, 03:23 AM
one's more entertaining, but it's also more bull****

Les Stroud doesn't have a safety crew making him hide a life vest under his clothes and stuff

MrJimBeam
7/8/2010, 04:09 AM
Survivorman.

I don't know, Man vs Wild seems a little staged to me.

OUHOMER
7/8/2010, 05:26 AM
didnt man vs wild get busted sleeping in motels at night and eating out when he was suppose to be in the wild?

Breadburner
7/8/2010, 07:06 AM
Bear Grylls is a fraud....

C&CDean
7/8/2010, 08:21 AM
Bear Grylls is a fraud....

Ya think?

You people are worse than Idol/Survivor/rasslin' people. I watched a couple of these shows (the kid had them on while we were eating supper) and I go "what a bunch of hokey horse****." He goes "no dad, it's for real. This guy is out there with nothing and he has to survive, blah blah blah." I go "complete and utter horse****. PT Barnum was spot on."

achiro
7/8/2010, 08:29 AM
Many of Bear Grylls tips would get a person killed in a true survival situation. I particularly like the ones where he climbs up or down some cliff that is suppose to be so treacherous but the cameraman is right next to him on the cliff. :confused:

Survivorman does do some realistic survival tips and you could actually learn a few things from him.

This new show with the two guys is a bit staged as far as the fighting between them but the techniques they use are pretty solid. I loved when the military dude said something about the barefoot dudes "bush hippy bullcrap" :D

OU Adonis
7/8/2010, 10:21 AM
I like Bear and I think he would definately kick Les's ***.... But if I was going to have one person with me in a survival situation it would be Les.

That is of course the survial situation involved having extra people handy and technical experts. Then I would go with Bear.

Boomer.....
7/8/2010, 10:46 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UpSlpvb1is&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3UpSlpvb1is&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

SoonerAtKU
7/8/2010, 11:28 AM
How is this even a contest if you're not a middle-aged lady watching "hunks" on TV to stave off menopause for a few more days?

Les Stroud is an actual man, whereas Bear Grylls is a model in a parka.

MR2-Sooner86
7/8/2010, 11:31 AM
Survivorman isn't a fake.
Man v Wild is a fake.

Case closed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/8/2010, 12:35 PM
I like Bear and I think he would definately kick Les's ***.... But if I was going to have one person with me in a survival situation it would be Les.

That is of course the survial situation involved having extra people handy and technical experts. Then I would go with Bear.WINNAH! We've had other threads on this, as well.

soonerinabilene
7/8/2010, 01:24 PM
les teaches you useful info in case you ever get stranded. bear teaches you how to die in case you are ever stranded.

Collier11
7/8/2010, 01:56 PM
Bear teaches you how to not die while attempting to kill himself, big diff ;)

Harry Beanbag
7/8/2010, 02:01 PM
Are either one of them still making episodes? I haven't seen a new one in a couple of years.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/8/2010, 02:10 PM
Are either one of them still making episodes? I haven't seen a new one in a couple of years.I believe Bear is still doing shows, but Les has said "no mas".

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 04:16 PM
This new show with the two guys is a bit staged as far as the fighting between them...

Why can't we create reality shows without injecting phony tension?

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 04:20 PM

Sure, if you want to starve and freeze to death. Most of what I see with Les is "fail." Here is Les building a tent. It breaks. Here is Les trying to catch a fish. He catches nothing. Here is Les trying to eat a wild plant. He throws up.

Yeah, Les' experience is more realistic. But I would like to see something that works for a change, even if contrived.

To be honest, both men impress me. Les has the bigger challenge. But I think Bear is just a tad better at finding solutions.

And I certainly find Bear's show more entertaining.

Taxman71
7/8/2010, 05:08 PM
Bear is better at eating the most disgusting things on earth. Les is better at building shelters... which is probably the most important thing if you are ever stranded.

OU Adonis
7/8/2010, 05:39 PM
Bear is better at eating the most disgusting things on earth. Les is better at building shelters... which is probably the most important thing if you are ever stranded.

You can live weeks without food, days without water.. but can die from exposure in a matter of hours.

Collier11
7/8/2010, 06:13 PM
Sure, if you want to starve and freeze to death. Most of what I see with Les is "fail." Here is Les building a tent. It breaks. Here is Les trying to catch a fish. He catches nothing. Here is Les trying to eat a wild plant. He throws up.

Yeah, Les' experience is more realistic. But I would like to see something that works for a change, even if contrived.

To be honest, both men impress me. Les has the bigger challenge. But I think Bear is just a tad better at finding solutions.

And I certainly find Bear's show more entertaining.

Agreed on all accounts, dammit

Breadburner
7/8/2010, 06:49 PM
At the very least if you went out with survivorman you would not awake to him playing your meat whistle saying he had to do it to survive.....

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 10:21 PM
At the very least if you went out with survivorman you would not awake to him playing your meat whistle saying he had to do it to survive.....

If you went out with Les you probably wouldn't awake.

sooner59
7/8/2010, 11:33 PM
Man vs Wild is much more entertaining. I know its staged, but it doesn't mean he doesn't get diarrhea, lol. The other show is more real, but not good tv. Plus, if you're wasted, you still think its real. :D

Collier11
7/8/2010, 11:34 PM
The reason Man V Wild is better is partly because it is staged, Les just shows you how to survive in certain environments. Bear shows you how to survive in certain environments while showing you how to survive in specific situations as well.

Leroy Lizard
7/8/2010, 11:58 PM
Besides, with Bear's show I can learn about how the sap of a tree contains certain medicinal properties. Sure his crew found the tree earlier, allowing him to "stumble" on it. Who cares?

I liken the show to Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. Did Jim really need to wrestle the anaconda?