PDA

View Full Version : Postseason recap of 2011, 2012 opponent...

NMSooner'80
7/6/2010, 02:02 PM
(it's also the school that employs me, although I will be the first one in line in '12 to get in with OU gear on and headin' for the visitors' side.... :) )

The Next Step

By Ken Sickenger / Journal Reporter
Monday, 05 July 2010 23:10
Birmingham Already Looking Forward

It's probably not sufficient to say Ray Birmingham has a few holes to fill this summer.

The University of New Mexico baseball coach returned to Albuquerque recently after spending more than two weeks scouring Texas for prospective Lobos.

"I put a lot of miles on my pickup," Birmingham said, "a lot of miles. It was tiring but I saw a lot of top-notch players and I think the word's getting out about Lobo baseball. I'm encouraged."

Certainly 2010 was a positive season for UNM, which advanced to NCAA regional play for the first time in 48 years. The Lobos finished 38-22, knocked off favored Stanford in their first regional game and might have gone further had not top hitter Justin Howard been injured in an extra-inning loss to Minnesota.

During Birmingham's third season, the Lobos twice defeated top-ranked Texas and held their own against such high-powered foes as Arkansas, Arizona and College World Series darling TCU. As a result he's feeling good about the future.

"We've seen the best teams in the country the last three years," Birmingham said, "and I believe we can catch 'em. I still see a lot of room for improvement in our program, and I'm talking about things we can fix."

FILLING IN: UNM's repair work may need to start with a shovel. Between graduation and professional draft losses, New Mexico lost eight of nine players from its 2010 starting lineup. Rising sophomore infielder Alex Allbritton is the lone returning starter, although catcher Mitchell Garver, infielders Ben Woodchick and Jacob Nelson and outfielder John Michael Twichell saw significant playing time.

Remarkably, a 2011 roster with more holes than a prairie dog village, doesn't seem to bother Birmingham. That's because he feels UNM's pitching staff is well-stocked.

"Our staff will be improved, I promise you," Birmingham said. "I really think pitching can be our forte next season. That's a big change, but it's a good thing."

The Lobos' staff has taken fewer offseason hits than its everyday lineup. UNM lost senior pitchers Willy Kesler, Edwin Carl and Jason Oatman, and junior Kenny Toves recently opted to sign a pro contract. Junior college right-hander Andrew Schugel, who had committed to UNM, also signed professionally.

That leaves plenty of experienced arms in Lobo uniforms, including starters Rudy Jaramillo, Mike Lachapelle, Bobby Mares and Richard Olson. Birmingham expects 2010 relievers Austin House and Gera Sanchez to compete for rotation spots in 2011 and believes returnees Gabe Aguilar, Oscar Almeida, Zach Cleveland and redshirt Steven Florez will provide a solid bullpen core.

WELCOME ADDITIONS? Several new pitchers figure to make UNM's staff even more potent, including New Mexico prep graduates Sam Wilson (Eldorado HS) and Jake McCasland (Piedra Vista). Wilson and McCasland were both selected in June's professional draft but remain unsigned and have indicated they may choose to become Lobos, Birmingham said.

"Wilson and McCasland are guys who can pitch and play the field," Birmingham said. "They can be impact players for us."

UNM also is adding at least three junior college pitchers: Cory Maltz and Ryan Angus, right-handers from Texas' Weatherford College, and lefty Will Mathis, a Carlsbad native who pitched at New Mexico's Luna Community College last season.

A number of position players have agreed to join the Lobos as walk-ons, accepting academic, lottery or other types of scholarships, Birmingham said. Such is typical as the baseball program has just 11 scholarships to divide and most of the money is devoted to pitchers.

NCAA rules prohibit college coaches from commenting on or identifying walk-on players until they officially join a team. However, La Cueva High coach Gerard Pineda recently told the Journal that infielder Nate Ross, a recent LCHS graduate, will be among next season's Lobo walk-ons.

BRING ON THE BIG BOYS: UNM will face a loaded schedule in 2011, opening on the road against powerhouse Arizona State. A few contracts have yet to be finalized but the Lobos are set to face Creighton and Arizona at home, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State on the road and split four games home and away vs. Texas Tech.

"We'll have 11 games against College World Series teams," Birmingham said. "It's really tough schedule for a really young team."

The ASU and Oklahoma contracts call for those teams to play in Albuquerque in 2012.

CONFERENCE CONCERNS: Birmingham said he was excited when the recent NCAA conference changes produced rumors of Kansas and Kansas State joining the Mountain West. He even heard rumblings of TCU and UNM getting Big 12 invitations.

His excitement faded when the MWC added Boise State (a non-baseball school) and lost Utah. The league now has just six baseball schools.

"It's not good for us," Birmingham said. "Hopefully, the movement's not done."

When asked about the rumored possibility of Fresno State joining the MWC, Birmingham brightened.

"Fresno? I'm in!" he said.