PDA

View Full Version : Who would win the split national title years?

SteelClip49
7/6/2010, 12:45 PM
1954: Ohio State (AP) vs UCLA (UPI)....WINNER- Buckeyes

1957: Auburn (AP) vs Ohio State (UPI).....WINNER- Buckeyes

1965: Alabama (AP) vs Michigan State (UPI).....WINNER- Spartans

1970: Nebraska (AP) vs Texas (UPI).....WINNER- Huskers

1973: Notre Dame (AP) vs Alabama (UPI).....WINNER- Irish

ALABAMA was named UPI national champion going into the Sugar Bowl against NOTRE DAME and they were battling for the AP #1 spot. ND won the game 24-23 giving the Irish the AP crown.

1974: Oklahoma (AP) vs Southern Cal (UPI).....WINNER- Sooners

1978: Alabama (AP) vs Southern Cal (UPI).....WINNER- Trojans

SOUTHERN CAL handed ALABAMA its only loss in Birmingham but USC would go on to lose a conference game and both finished with one loss. USC won the head-to-head decision. Of course, later in the season you could say BAMA played better and could have won the later contest. UA would win the national title outright in 1979 going 11-0 while USC would finish #2 with an 11-0-1 record.

1990: Colorado (AP) vs Georgia Tech (UPI).....WINNER- Buffaloes

1991: Miami (AP) vs Washington (USA Today/CNN).....WINNER- Huskies

1997: Michigan (AP) vs Nebraska (USA Today/ESPN).....WINNER- Huskers

2003: Southern Cal (AP) vs Louisiana State (BCS).....WINNER- Tigers

Discuss....

XingTheRubicon
7/6/2010, 01:13 PM
1954 Ohio State vs UCLA - winner: Oklahoma

goingoneight
7/6/2010, 01:14 PM
I know you have the whole "SEC-SEC-SEC!!!" thing to consider, but TTTNW (the team that never was) was pretty good... and LSU did just barely beat us on their home field. Some argue Chuck Long, Mark Clayton's dropped TD pass and Kejuan Jones dropped TD pass beat us. Many use the argument that JW wasn't healthy. I'd have liked to have seen that one, honestly. But since the SUC was indeed TTTNW, we can go ahead and pretend they existed and that such a game was played. Where was it played? Who was healthy or not healthy? Saban is great maybe the best in the modern college game, but beatable under ideal conditions, and I think most people recognize that.

oudavid1
7/6/2010, 02:30 PM
1954 Ohio State vs UCLA - winner: Oklahoma

grand dad played on this team, he was a senior. Wish he could have gotten a ring

NormanPride
7/6/2010, 02:34 PM
Didn't Colorado need 5 downs to win their title in '90?

MI Sooner
7/6/2010, 04:21 PM
Mark Clayton's dropped TD pass? You're not referring to the last play are you?

Sooner04
7/6/2010, 04:28 PM
Didn't Colorado need 5 downs to win their title in '90?
Yes. Against Missouri.

And I don't think Charles Johnson got in on that play either.

BoulderSooner79
7/6/2010, 04:42 PM
Also, Kejuan Jones did not drop a TD pass. JW thought Kejuan was 6'6" instead of 5'6" - *the* biggest play in JW's career I wish he had back.

rawlingsHOH
7/6/2010, 04:42 PM

hmm

NormanPride
7/6/2010, 04:43 PM
There was KJ and about 30 yards of green. I cried that play. People rag on Chuck for calling passing plays when we were steam rolling their D on the ground, but that call was genius. Sometimes the kids just mess up, and it's sad.

oudavid1
7/6/2010, 09:09 PM
There was KJ and about 30 yards of green. I cried that play. People rag on Chuck for calling passing plays when we were steam rolling their D on the ground, but that call was genius. Sometimes the kids just mess up, and it's sad.

Ok for us young ins, or just me, what are you gentlemen referring to? 01 vs Nebraksa?

yermom
7/6/2010, 09:26 PM
Ok for us young ins, or just me, what are you gentlemen referring to? 01 vs Nebraksa?

2004 Sugar Bowl

LSU's D was gassed. we are down by 1 TD. Kejuan Jones drags them down the field to 1st and Goal only for us to then call like 8 pass plays afterward (PI gave another set of downs, if i remember right. also one play JW tried to run)

after at least 2 plays that should have been TDs to tie the game we don't score and lose

soonerboy_odanorth
7/6/2010, 10:52 PM
I get your head-up arguments.

The rest is only a reflection of the teams you like better than others.

Case in point: '97 Michigan and Nebraska.

I tend to think Nebraska was one of the great dynasties in the 90's, and could have pretty much murdered any other team.

BUT...

That '97 Michigan team was deep and talented. You might consider they were rather underwhelmed by their Rose Bowl opponent.

Likewise NU was a very powerful team in '97, and mopping up against Tennessee.

So what if they had run into each other? Can you say unequivocably that NU would have come out on top?

I don't think so.

It would have been a phenomenal matchup.

oudavid1
7/7/2010, 02:44 AM
2004 Sugar Bowl

LSU's D was gassed. we are down by 1 TD. Kejuan Jones drags them down the field to 1st and Goal only for us to then call like 8 pass plays afterward (PI gave another set of downs, if i remember right. also one play JW tried to run)

after at least 2 plays that should have been TDs to tie the game we don't score and lose

Oh, i remember watching that game as a 12 year old, i drank myself into a coma..........Dr Pepper of course

Collier11
7/7/2010, 02:56 AM
I get your head-up arguments.

The rest is only a reflection of the teams you like better than others.

Case in point: '97 Michigan and Nebraska.

I tend to think Nebraska was one of the great dynasties in the 90's, and could have pretty much murdered any other team.

BUT...

That '97 Michigan team was deep and talented. You might consider they were rather underwhelmed by their Rose Bowl opponent.

Likewise NU was a very powerful team in '97, and mopping up against Tennessee.

So what if they had run into each other? Can you say unequivocably that NU would have come out on top?

I don't think so.

It would have been a phenomenal matchup.

Looking into it a little deep, its pure speculation of course but thats the fun of this thread or any like it, just put the facts together and tell us who you think is the better team

Collier11
7/7/2010, 03:02 AM
Just gonna comment on the 4 that I can honestly speak to because of my age

I think Colorado was a really good team who benefited from some very favorable happenings that year (5th down anyone) but in this matchup id take Colorado

1991: Miami (AP) vs Washington (USA Today/CNN).....WINNER- Huskies

This Washington team was really good, UW

1997: Michigan (AP) vs Nebraska (USA Today/ESPN).....WINNER- Huskers

Id take Nebraska in this matchup every day of the week, realistically this Neb dynasty could have won 4 during the decade

2003: Southern Cal (AP) vs Louisiana State (BCS).....WINNER- Tigers

I think this would be a good game but remember, LSU got the benefit of a bad pick 6 by Jason, an injured Jason, and a busted run early in the game. OU was the better team but we lost the game, it happens. USC woulda beat them more times than not

Discuss....

There ya have it

Jdog
7/7/2010, 10:07 PM
Buffs had a loss and a tie and would have lost to to GT - didn't it take em 5 downs inside the 5 yard line to beat Mizzou.

Collier11
7/7/2010, 10:10 PM
Yep, they cheated their way to a natl title on the field that year

SteelClip49
7/7/2010, 11:05 PM
Colorado didn't cheat. The refs missed it.

Colorado lost to Illinois by 1 and tied Tennessee, both whom were ranked. CU played the toughest schedule and GT really didn't play anyone other than Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl. GT tied a very very **** poor UNC squad coached by Mack Brown.

Collier11
7/7/2010, 11:07 PM
They knowingly took an extra down to win the game, im not saying most teams would admit to that but it is still cheating

rawlingsHOH
7/8/2010, 09:04 AM

Colorado lost to Illinois by 1 and tied Tennessee, both whom were ranked. CU played the toughest schedule and GT really didn't play anyone other than Nebraska in the Citrus Bowl. GT tied a very very **** poor UNC squad coached by Mack Brown.

how did the Nebraska games go?

Salt City Sooner
7/8/2010, 01:56 PM

This. I watched the game yesterday on Classic, & the chain gang flat out forgot to switch the down marker after 2nd down, thus giving CU 2 2nd downs. When you're out there in the heat of battle (& esp. when you're trying to save your entire season as CU was), you're going to be 1000x more focused on doing what you have to do to score, not whether or not the chain gang screwed up.

how did the Nebraska games go?
GT didn't have nearly the difficulty in beating NU that CU had (the Buffs blew up for all 27 of their points in the 4th), but I can't take a whole lot from that due to the fact that CU had to go into Lincoln & win, while GT won on a neutral field (Orlando, Fla.) that's a whole lot closer to Atlanta than Lincoln.

CU/NU-'90: http://huskerpedia.com/games/1990/09colorado.html

NU/GT-'90: http://huskerpedia.com/games/1990/12georgiatech.html

rawlingsHOH
7/8/2010, 02:16 PM
GT didn't have nearly the difficulty in beating NU that CU had (the Buffs blew up for all 27 of their points in the 4th), but I can't take a whole lot from that due to the fact that CU had to go into Lincoln & win, while GT won on a neutral field (Orlando, Fla.) that's a whole lot closer to Atlanta than Lincoln.

CU/NU-'90: http://huskerpedia.com/games/1990/09colorado.html

NU/GT-'90: http://huskerpedia.com/games/1990/12georgiatech.html

Right. And it also looked like Nebraska didn't have Leodis Flowers or Mickey Joseph for the GT game. Didn't Joseph get hurt against OU?

Sooner04
7/8/2010, 02:17 PM
Joseph cut his leg up pretty bad when he went flying into the OU bench (which was then on the east side). And don't forget that Osborne voted GT #1 in the final coaches poll. If he votes for Colorado, there's no split.

I still get angry thinking about how good our '90 team was. Lose 14-13 in Dallas (Gibbs), lose 33-31 at home to Iowa State (QB draw) and 32-23 to Colorado (eventual national champs). We just destroyed Nebraska.

And we did all of that WITHOUT Mike Gaddis. Gaddis. Damn.....

Eielson
7/8/2010, 02:18 PM
Colorado wouldn't have spiked the ball on 4th down if they had known what down it was.

Collier11
7/8/2010, 02:30 PM
Colorado has just as much responsibility to know the down as the Refs

Eielson
7/8/2010, 02:36 PM
Colorado has just as much responsibility to know the down as the Refs

:rolleyes:

Collier11
7/8/2010, 03:10 PM
Ok, so if Ou goes out and doesnt know the down or the play clock or game clock or whatever else, youd be ok with that?

Eielson
7/8/2010, 03:38 PM
Ok, so if Ou goes out and doesnt know the down or the play clock or game clock or whatever else, youd be ok with that?

I don't expect them to have their own stopwatches making sure that the time on the scoreboard is correct, no.

rawlingsHOH
7/8/2010, 03:46 PM
Joseph cut his leg up pretty bad when he went flying into the OU bench (which was then on the east side).

I remember! What year was that switched, late 90s?

MeMyself&Me
7/8/2010, 04:07 PM
I remember! What year was that switched, late 90s?

I'm pretty sure it had to do with a Big 8 rule that the home field sideline had to be opposite the press box so I'd guess that it changed with the formation of the Big 12 but I don't know for sure.

Sooner04
7/8/2010, 04:53 PM
I don't remember the exact year but, yes, the Big 8 required the home team to be in front of the students.

We played eATMe in '93 and Gibbs switched it up. He put the Aggies over in front of the students (and in the blistering sun) and we tore them to shreds. I think they were #5 when they came to Norman.

MeMyself&Me
7/8/2010, 05:10 PM
I don't remember the exact year but, yes, the Big 8 required the home team to be in front of the students.

We played eATMe in '93 and Gibbs switched it up. He put the Aggies over in front of the students (and in the blistering sun) and we tore them to shreds. I think they were #5 when they came to Norman.

I remember that... was the first game I attended as a student.

NatureBoy
7/8/2010, 08:12 PM
If he votes for Colorado, there's no split.

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

Sooner04
7/8/2010, 08:16 PM
Well, here you go:

The 1990 NCAA Division I-A football season ended with a split championship and the ensuing controversy led to the creation of the Bowl Coalition, a precursor to the Bowl Championship Series. The title was split between the Colorado Buffaloes and the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. The Buffaloes took the AP poll while the Yellow Jackets took the UPI poll by one vote over Colorado, 847 to 846. The deciding vote was cast by Nebraska coach Tom Osborne, the only coach who had played both teams during the 1990 season. Colorado beat Nebraska 27-12 while Georgia Tech had beaten them in the Florida Citrus Bowl, 45-21.

College Football in 1990 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season)

Dr. Tom votes GT #1 and Colorado #2. The final differential is one point. Flip-flop Dr. Tom's vote.......