PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

royalfan5
7/5/2010, 07:26 AM
I am reading The Glorious Cause by Robert Middlekampf as part of my new project to read every volume of the Oxford History of the United States.

Also, I am starting Terms of Endearment as part of my ongoing project to read every Larry McMurtry book.

gaylordfan1
7/5/2010, 08:48 AM
On the Origin of Species.

Frozen Sooner
7/5/2010, 09:59 AM
Amici briefs filed by various organizations in Grutter v. Bollinger.

ouwasp
7/5/2010, 10:44 AM
None Died in Vain- The Saga of the American Civil War by Robert Leckie

Okla-homey
7/5/2010, 11:59 AM
The Old Breed by E.A. Sledge

Jacie
7/5/2010, 12:12 PM
Re-reading Look To Windward by Iain Banks.

Leroy Lizard
7/5/2010, 12:33 PM
The Old Breed by E.A. Sledge

With the Old Breed?

Leroy Lizard
7/5/2010, 12:45 PM
As for me, something less fun: Many-Body Boson Systems. (I'm proofreading it.)

Also: The Civilization of the Middle Ages, Norman F. Cantor

JohnnyMack
7/5/2010, 01:04 PM
The Victors by Ambrose.

Soonrboy
7/5/2010, 01:11 PM
I picked up my wife's copy of The Help and couldn't put it down.

yermom
7/5/2010, 01:30 PM
The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

been on a serious physics kick again lately

what is that many-body boson system book like?

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2010, 01:36 PM
The Cold War by John Gaddis.

the_ouskull
7/5/2010, 01:38 PM
Dumbing Down: The Strip-Mining of American Culture

Unless your vocabulary impresses even you, and The Most Interesting Man in the World calls you when he's stuck on a word on a crossword puzzle, don't even bother picking it up. It's a great, great read, though.

the_ouskull

Tulsa_Fireman
7/5/2010, 01:39 PM
The warning label on this can of pigs feet.

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2010, 01:39 PM
There's a book that I've been meaning to pick up and read about pre-Colombian North American indian tribes, but I can't recall the name of it and every time I see it in the bookstore I'm there for something else.

SoonerStud615
7/5/2010, 03:46 PM
Icarus Fallen by Chantal Delsol

Harry Beanbag
7/5/2010, 03:51 PM
The End of America by Naomi Wolf

MR2-Sooner86
7/5/2010, 04:27 PM
This thread.

Tulsa_Fireman
7/5/2010, 05:11 PM
The tattoo on StoopTroop's butt.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/5/2010, 05:20 PM
The Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong.

ouwasp
7/5/2010, 07:06 PM
There's a book that I've been meaning to pick up and read about pre-Colombian North American indian tribes, but I can't recall the name of it and every time I see it in the bookstore I'm there for something else.

You're looking for 1491

I listened to the audio book last year on my way to Boulder for a seminar about the settlement of the Great Plains; it proved to be very helpful and enlightening.

SicEmBaylor
7/5/2010, 07:14 PM
You're looking for 1491

I listened to the audio book last year on my way to Boulder for a seminar about the settlement of the Great Plains; it proved to be very helpful and enlightening.

That's it! Thanks.

Jacie
7/5/2010, 07:15 PM
You're looking for 1491

A good, if somewhat lengthy, read. That one and Guns, Germs and Steel add much to what is usually represented by a few paragraphs in standard texts on the history of North America.

Howzit
7/5/2010, 07:29 PM
The Defector by Daniel Silva

oudavid1
7/5/2010, 10:30 PM
How to play football the NFL way and The (College) Football Coaching Bible

anyone guess my profession of choice?

JohnnyMack
7/5/2010, 10:31 PM

Are you Jamarcus Russell's agent?

Tulsa_Fireman
7/5/2010, 11:22 PM

Chinese masseuse?

HBick
7/6/2010, 12:04 AM
None Died in Vain- The Saga of the American Civil War by Robert Leckie

I take it someone watched the Pacific? Please tell you've read [I]Helmet For My Pillow[/I? Also you should read the other book the pacific was based on, With The Old Breed.

This is pathetic, but I don't care, I just finished the last Harry Potter book. I read the first few when I was in middle school and thought they were much better than the movies. Saw the newest one like a week ago, and decided I'd read the books before the last movie came out.

But next on my list to read before the end of July, in no particular order:
One Great Insight is Worth A Thousand Good Ideas by Phil Dusenberry
Truth, Lies & Advertising: The Art of Account Planning by Jon Steel
& then my book for just randomness is
The Game: Penetrating The Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss (it's a NY Times bestseller apparently)

olevetonahill
7/6/2010, 12:28 AM
1972 Playboy
I try to enjoy this stuff:cool:

silverwheels
7/6/2010, 12:31 AM
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

SicEmBaylor
7/6/2010, 12:32 AM
1972 Playboy
I try to enjoy this stuff:cool:

Bushtastic!

olevetonahill
7/6/2010, 12:35 AM
Bushtastic!

Bro No way do i want to rush this stuff ;)

MrJimBeam
7/6/2010, 06:06 AM
"The First World War" by John Keegan.
"The Rational Optimist" by Matt Ridley.

homerSimpsonsBrain
7/6/2010, 02:36 PM
The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene

been on a serious physics kick again lately

what is that many-body boson system book like?

I like me some big, bouncy, magnificent... OH. You said bosons. Never mind

NormanPride
7/6/2010, 02:54 PM
Eifelheim

Jacie
7/6/2010, 03:32 PM
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

I didn't read the book but I saw the prequel movie, Highschool Confidential . . .

C&CDean
7/6/2010, 03:52 PM
This is pathetic, but I don't care, I just finished the last Harry Potter book. I read the first few when I was in middle school and thought they were much better than the movies. Saw the newest one like a week ago, and decided I'd read the books before the last movie came out.

What's pathetic about it? Fine literature is fine literature. The fact that it is extremely well written, full of imagination, has great characters and storyline, and is loved by millions and millions of people worldwide make reading HP anything but pathetic.

Be a proud Potterhead like me. The rest of these geeks are lying anyhow. Nobody reads all the boring lameassed **** they're saying they read. And if they actually do, they ain't got a smidgen of a life.

HBick
7/6/2010, 04:08 PM
What's pathetic about it? Fine literature is fine literature. The fact that it is extremely well written, full of imagination, has great characters and storyline, and is loved by millions and millions of people worldwide make reading HP anything but pathetic.

Be a proud Potterhead like me. The rest of these geeks are lying anyhow. Nobody reads all the boring lameassed **** they're saying they read. And if they actually do, they ain't got a smidgen of a life.

I did fly through it, finished in it like 2 days, I only read that fast when cramming for a test.

Anyway back to my book on this hot summer day

C&CDean
7/6/2010, 04:11 PM
It's easy to fly through a good book. That's basically the difference between a good one and a ****ty one. A good one you can't put down. A ****ty one you put down so often you forget what the hell you're reading about.

SicEmBaylor
7/6/2010, 04:11 PM

I'm a closet fan.

C&CDean
7/6/2010, 04:12 PM
Dude, if you came out of the HP closet it would still be the least gay thing about you. C'mon.

SicEmBaylor
7/6/2010, 04:17 PM
Dude, if you came out of the HP closet it would still be the least gay thing about you. C'mon.

I'm kind of wanting to go to the new Harry Potter world at Universal in Orlando. I just need to find someone to go with me because it'd be kind of creepy being a 27 year old dude wondering around the Harry Potter world alone.

C&CDean
7/6/2010, 04:20 PM
I'm kind of wanting to go to the new Harry Potter world at Universal in Orlando. I just need to find someone to go with me because it'd be kind of creepy being a 27 year old dude wondering around the Harry Potter world alone.

Only if you're a creepy 27-year old dude.

I hear there's lots of hookers in Florida. Take one of them. Maybe you can hook up with Elin Woods?

JohnnyMack
7/6/2010, 04:28 PM

Heh. I'm going to Orlando tomorrow and if wasn't gonna so ****ing hot out I would seriously consider going.

Leroy Lizard
7/6/2010, 04:35 PM

And there's a reason why it would be creepy.

NormanPride
7/6/2010, 04:40 PM
Only if you're a creepy 27-year old dude.

I hear there's lots of hookers in Florida. Take one of them. Maybe you can hook up with Elin Woods?

I hear she's expensive.

Curly Bill
7/6/2010, 04:54 PM
Book of the Dead

by: Patricia Cornwell

yermom
7/6/2010, 05:38 PM

yeah, if you like kids' books ;)

and my life is pretty non-existent at the moment...

i did just finish The Fabric of the Cosmos, and it was pretty dense compared to other Phyisics books i had been reading and kinda melted my brain. i'm reading The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow now. it's a LOT lighter.

i've been carrying around Ender's Game in my bag for a while now(picked it up with the last book) i've heard about it a lot over the years, but i haven't cracked it open yet.

TopDawg
7/6/2010, 05:57 PM
Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger - Ron Sider

What the Dog Saw - Malcolm Gladwell

yermom
7/6/2010, 06:09 PM
i liked Blink, and still mean to read The Tipping Point how is that one?

Jacie
7/6/2010, 07:17 PM
i've been carrying around Ender's Game in my bag for a while now(picked it up with the last book) i've heard about it a lot over the years, but i haven't cracked it open yet.

You should be all over that book! It is a classic, if it's inclusion in highschool English reading lists is any indicator. It is one of those rare ones in sci fi where the author's pretty neat premise (using children to unknowingly fight an intergalactic war) is backed up with decent writing. It has taken far too long for this one to be brought to the screen but maybe that means they will do it right.

There is also a true-to-the-story comic book version for those who just have to see pictures to follow along . . .

yermom
7/6/2010, 08:24 PM
i can't really stomach comics/graphic novels. i tried again with Watchmen, but i just can't seem to get into it

SicEmBaylor
7/6/2010, 08:27 PM
i can't really stomach comics/graphic novels. i tried again with Watchmen, but i just can't seem to get into it

I hate comic books with the passion of a thousand suns.

JohnnyMack
7/6/2010, 08:34 PM
After I'm done reading this Stephen Ambrose book I'm gonna read some Dragonlance. Gotta read some fluff every now and again.

yermom
7/6/2010, 08:42 PM
i read a fair amount of Forgotten Realms stuff, but none of the Dragonlance stuff

ouwasp
7/6/2010, 10:19 PM
I take it someone watched the Pacific? Please tell you've read [I]Helmet For My Pillow[/I? Also you should read the other book the pacific was based on, With The Old Breed.

But next on my list to read before the end of July, in no particular order:
One Great Insight is Worth A Thousand Good Ideas by Phil Dusenberry
Truth, Lies & Advertising: The Art of Account Planning by Jon Steel
& then my book for just randomness is
The Game: Penetrating The Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss (it's a NY Times bestseller apparently)

Hey, I read With the Old Breed when it came out back in '83 or whenever. I read Leckie's Helmet/Pillow probably about 10 yrs ago. Read it again this past spring before The Pacific came out. When I saw Leckie's civil war book at a flea market, I couldn't pass it up...

Leroy Lizard
7/6/2010, 10:23 PM
I finished The Anarchists' Cook Book and The Poor Man's James Bond about a month ago.

So don't mess with me.

This is pathetic, but I don't care, I just finished the last Harry Potter book.

Did it (hee hee) transform your little world (giggle) into a magic wonderland?

Crucifax Autumn
7/7/2010, 09:04 AM
Hustler.

C&CDean
7/7/2010, 09:17 AM
Did it (hee hee) transform your little world (giggle) into a magic wonderland?

Did sucking a dick transform you into a fag?

Crucifax Autumn
7/7/2010, 09:20 AM
Nah...He was a fag before that. :D

TopDawg
7/7/2010, 09:59 AM
i liked Blink, and still mean to read The Tipping Point how is that one?

Tipping Point was the first one I read and I really enjoyed it.
Then Blink came out and I LOVED it.
BlindCajun read Outliers and said that it was his favorite of the 3, but I thought "There's no way I'll like it more than Blink." But I did. It's phenomenal.

What the Dog Saw is totally different than those others. It's a collection of his articles for whichever newspaper he writes for. So instead of an in-depth look at one phenomenon (like with the other 3 books) you get quick glimpses into a lot of different stories/phenomena. I prefer the more in-depth stuff, but What the Dog Saw is really interesting too. The things he writes about in What the Dog Saw are well-suited for the shorter treatments they get.

yermom
8/31/2010, 01:42 AM
You should be all over that book! It is a classic, if it's inclusion in highschool English reading lists is any indicator. It is one of those rare ones in sci fi where the author's pretty neat premise (using children to unknowingly fight an intergalactic war) is backed up with decent writing. It has taken far too long for this one to be brought to the screen but maybe that means they will do it right.

There is also a true-to-the-story comic book version for those who just have to see pictures to follow along . . .

FIFY :mad:

;)

once i started Ender's Game i didn't really stop. next up is either Catcher in The Rye or The Tipping Point

probably the former since i have so much other non-leisure stuff to read at the moment. today/tomorrow is Thermal Physics and Looking at Movies