PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Stadium Makeover Almost Complete

MichiganSooner
7/4/2010, 03:34 PM
Just read an article in the Detroit Free Press on the upgrades to Michigan Stadium which will be done in a few weeks. Suites, club seats, new concessions added. Sides of stadium look much different now. More like our stadium with the high brick. The old stadium looked like a Little League field from the outside as the playing field and most of the seats are under ground level. Capacity increased even though they added a quarter inch to each "seat" in the old bowl. A seat is a number on a metal bench. Story and 88 pics at the link.
http://www.freep.com/article/20100704/SPORTS06/7040505

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 04:22 PM
Do Wolverine fans pay much attention to our stadium renovations?

fossil
7/4/2010, 05:14 PM
:confused: OMG, I actually thought WE were the Oklahoma Sooners fans. Someone please explain why we actually would care about the Michigan stadium rennovations................anybody............som ebody...........thought so.

MichiganSooner
7/4/2010, 06:59 PM
Of course they don't. But we are football fans.

CBUS_SOONER
7/4/2010, 07:20 PM
Looks pretty nice... Been to the big house a couple of times... Was on the sideline for one game and chilled with Austin Powers lil friend mini me. The big house is a pretty special place. I just wish they could beat tosu cks. I live in Columbus and have a lot a family in Ann Arbor. Been around both fan bases many times and must say MEEEEEECHIGAN fans have a ton more class... And its not even close.

freshchris05
7/4/2010, 07:28 PM
Looks pretty nice... Been to the big house a couple of times... Was on the sideline for one game and chilled with Austin Powers lil friend mini me. The big house is a pretty special place. I just wish they could beat tosu cks. I live in Columbus and have a lot a family in Ann Arbor. Been around both fan bases many times and must say MEEEEEECHIGAN fans have a ton more class... And its not even close.

But but nothing is classier than a sweater vest... Right? :rolleyes:

Except faux sweater vests maybe?

http://drunkentailgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/sweatervest-tshirt.jpg

SoonerDomiNation
7/4/2010, 08:04 PM
My ex wife is from michigan sooooooooooo i dont give a beeppppppp beeppppppppppppppppppp beepppppp beep beep beepppppppp beep and o yeah a beeppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp about them or their stadium.

Doged
7/4/2010, 08:56 PM
:confused: OMG, I actually thought WE were the Oklahoma Sooners fans. Someone please explain why we actually would care about the Michigan stadium rennovations................anybody............som ebody...........thought so.

If you don't care, why did you click on the thread? Having a stupid attack, were ya?

As for Mich, the stadium upgrades are nice, but they need to upgrade their head coach more than anything.

Salt City Sooner
7/4/2010, 09:29 PM
Trivia time:

In 1925, the land where Michigan Stadium now stands was purchased for $240,000. This land is located where a spring had been, a source that had served the University of Michigan's water needs in its earlier days. The water posed a problem to the construction as the land had to be lowered to take care of a large underground lake. The surface, which nearly resembled quicksand, engulfed a crane during construction, which according to legend remains buried under the stadium today.

http://www.mgoblue.com/genrel/070109aaa.html

Scott D
7/4/2010, 09:30 PM
actually I care because I'm tired of the construction screwing with traffic in that part of Ann Arbor.

badger
7/4/2010, 10:00 PM
Give him a break guys. This is actually good offseason talk. Michigan's Stadium already held 100k, but when you combine:

1- Michigan's economy, especially it's employment rate
2- Michigan's population
3- Michigan football's amount of winning since Rich Roddy took over

With everything on the downturn among these factors for Michigan, I don't see a new shiny stadium making any difference. Hail to the victors???

AlbqSooner
7/5/2010, 06:03 AM
With everything on the downturn among these factors for Michigan, I don't see a new shiny stadium making any difference. Hail to the victors???

I think they hired T. Boone as a consultant.

Bruiser53
7/5/2010, 06:55 AM

He says "Build it...and they won't necessarily come"

Scott D
7/5/2010, 09:18 AM

except fans at Michigan Stadium aren't disguised as huge clusters of empty seats.

badger
7/5/2010, 09:20 AM
Meat Chicken's had a lot of football success over the years, so they can lose for a little while. Sorry Wolverines, but congrats on your shiny new expensive stadium :D

Scott D
7/5/2010, 09:23 AM
it's not shiny or new though....it's a remodel of the same old stadium :)

soonerboomer93
7/5/2010, 01:15 PM
from the pictures, it looks like they only bricked sections of the exterior (west and east side?). Other parts you can still see the structual steel from outside.

Looks nice, but that they didn't brick the whole thing is a bit of a put off.

silverwheels
7/5/2010, 01:15 PM
Should have put a covering over the crowd to amplify the noise. There's no reason a stadium that big should be that quiet.