PDA

View Full Version : Beach Front Gulf Coast Property

StoopTroup
7/4/2010, 10:40 AM
Is it time to speculate on purchasing some nice retirement house in Pensacola or will we be dead before it's useful for recreational use again. It's sad to see the beaches there the way they are. I'm watching this documentary called "Step into liquid" and some of these folks have surfed all of their lives in all the different beaches in the World. I guess having surfed the North Shore of Hawaii once ten years ago is making me understand just how precious and just how easy it is to put the needs of our thirst for oil above what might happen should a catastrophic accident such as the BP oil spill happen. This spill will end a way of life for so many. How long can you wait before it's obvious that your waynof life might be better spent somewhere else? It's got to be pretty awful if you have no resources and were struggling prior to the spill.

Okla-homey
7/4/2010, 11:02 AM
ST,
I don't think anyone really knows what the future holds for the Gulf Coast in the wake of this oil leak. Now, that being said, I think southern Louisiana is hosed, for a variety of reasons, some leak-related. Some not. But I think the "Redneck Riviera" will probably rebound.

And I know this will anger my good friend and colleague TU, but, NOLA, with the exception of the necessary port facilities, probably should not be rebuilt. It's over. Bury it and have a jazz funeral.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2010, 11:02 AM
You had a two Bloody Mary breakfast again, didn't you?

StoopTroup
7/4/2010, 12:13 PM
I saw a video of Pensacola Beach and they were using equipment to scim the beach of the oil. You can't do that with the marshes though. There was a oil froth in the waves as they rolled in. You could see it. Some gal took an aquarium filter pad and just wiped it in the surf and it was immediately brown and loaded with tar balls. Sad.

Frozen Sooner
7/4/2010, 12:24 PM
Is it time to speculate on purchasing some nice retirement house in Pensacola or will we be dead before it's useful for recreational use again. It's sad to see the beaches there the way they are. I'm watching this documentary called "Step into liquid" and some of these folks have surfed all of their lives in all the different beaches in the World. I guess having surfed the North Shore of Hawaii once ten years ago is making me understand just how precious and just how easy it is to put the needs of our thirst for oil above what might happen should a catastrophic accident such as the BP oil spill happen. This spill will end a way of life for so many. How long can you wait before it's obvious that your waynof life might be better spent somewhere else? It's got to be pretty awful if you have no resources and were struggling prior to the spill.

21 years later and you can still find oil on the beaches of Prince William Sound. Your mileage may vary.

StoopTroup
7/4/2010, 12:32 PM
21 years later and you can still find oil on the beaches of Prince William Sound. Your mileage may vary.

As much as you'd think this might be the future for the gulf coast....I also am not going to doom it based on what happened with the Valdez. They are different Eco systems and the weather and tides are different. We are also seeing a huge difference in the things we have to clean it up. Colbert did a bit about how Dawn dish soap is petroleum based. The very thing that is ruining the coast is used to help clean it.

bluedogok
7/4/2010, 02:44 PM
I know some people who were in Pensaolca Beach/Destin last week for a wedding and didn't seen any oil in the areas they were staying/visiting. Like most news reports, the OIL SOAKED BEACHES aren't nothing more than the typical overreaction by the media hype machine. Now there will more than likely be some effect over time but I don't think it is the "doom and gloom" that the media and enviros proclaim. Louisiana on the other hand will probably have a much longer and harder path to any sort of recovery since marshes are much harder to clean than beach.

We have considered a place in Port Aransas, a little more residential area there than Santa Rosa Island but definitely not as nice as Pensacola Beach.

StoopTroup
7/4/2010, 03:49 PM
Anything has to be better than Austin...lol

soonervegas
7/4/2010, 08:47 PM
I know some people who were in Pensaolca Beach/Destin last week for a wedding and didn't seen any oil in the areas they were staying/visiting. Like most news reports, the OIL SOAKED BEACHES aren't nothing more than the typical overreaction by the media hype machine. Now there will more than likely be some effect over time but I don't think it is the "doom and gloom" that the media and enviros proclaim. Louisiana on the other hand will probably have a much longer and harder path to any sort of recovery since marshes are much harder to clean than beach.

We have considered a place in Port Aransas, a little more residential area there than Santa Rosa Island but definitely not as nice as Pensacola Beach.

My wife is in Destin this week and I am joining her next week. She says right now it is perfect. I agree that the long term effects for Pensacola/Destin beaches are fine UNLESS it takes them significantly longer than late August to drill the relief well.

I am going to see if there are any condo weeks on the cheap when I go down there next week. It should be interesting.