PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Hil for speaking up

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 09:48 AM
I have got to say that I appreciate Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Many here may not like her but they should at least hear what she is saying – that democracies and freedoms around the world are under attack.

Truthfully, it frightens me to think that overseas governments are systematically crushing any opposition. And since there is no one willing or able to stop them, it is going to get a whole lot worse in the near future, I’m afraid.

Take Thailand for example. The state of emergency decree (basically suspending constitutional rights), which has been in effect for Bangkok and 23 other provinces, was further extended yesterday from its original expiration on July 7. Strangely enough, this didn’t even make local headlines. Instead, local news focused on the US House of Representatives voting 411-4 to endorse the political reconciliation roadmap of Prime Minister Abhisit’s government which doesn’t include specifics on either constitutional reform or an election. In case you are wondering Ron Paul was one of the four voting against it.

I’m just wondering what the hell our representatives are doing. Why was there even a vote? Of course they would vote for reconciliation. Since it is being used as propaganda, I also have to give kudos to Ron Paul for being his normal rebel self and voting against the so-called “reconciliation”.

I was shocked to learn that anyone attending a Red Shirt pro-democracy rally in Bangkok over the last several months (even before the torching of buildings and real criminal activity and bloodshed) can be arrested and prosecuted at any time over the next 5 years until the statute of limitations, I guess, run out on illegal political protests under a state of emergency decree. I got an email from a friend telling me to immediately delete all of the pics of me attending Red Shirt rallies that I had posted on Facebook. LIKE WTF?

With that being said, happy Independence Day to all Americans. Love your freedom and support our troops and just don’t go posting incriminating evidence on Facebook.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38072827/ns/world_news-europe/

Clinton: 'Steel vise' crushing civic activists
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton delivers remarks at the Schindler Factory Museum in Krakow, Poland, on Saturday.by Robert Burns
updated 7/3/2010 2:24:23 PM ET

KRAKOW, Poland — Intolerant governments across the globe are "slowly crushing" activist and advocacy groups that play an essential role in the development of democracy, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Saturday.

She cited a broad range of countries where "the walls are closing in" on civic organizations such as unions, religious groups, rights advocates and other nongovernmental organizations that press for social change and shine a light on governments' shortcomings.

Among those she named were Zimbabwe, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Cuba, Egypt, Iran, Venezuela, China and Russia.

"Some of the countries engaging in these behaviors still claim to be democracies," Clinton said at an international conference on the promotion of democracy and human rights. "Democracies don't fear their own people. They recognize that citizens must be free to come together, to advocate and agitate."

Before an audience of several hundred senior government officials, Clinton recalled Winston Churchill's warning 60 years ago at Fulton, Mo., that an iron curtain was descending across Europe. She noted that with the collapse of the Soviet Union, that curtain no longer remains.

"But we must be wary of the steel vise in which governments around the world are slowly crushing civil society and the human spirit," she said. Social activists, Clinton said, are being harassed, censored, cut off from funding, arrested, prosecuted or killed.

Clinton's speech came at the opening of a 10th anniversary celebration of the founding of the Community of Democracies, which has 16 members and is meant to forge international consensus on ways to support and promote democracy.

She recommended that the organization set up an independent means of monitoring repressive measures against social advocacy groups, and that the U.N. Human Rights Council do more to protect civil society. She announced that the U.S. would contribute $2 million to support the work of embattled non-governmental groups.

Poland was a fitting setting for Clinton's address. The country escaped from decades of totalitarianism in the downfall of the Soviet Union and the collapse of communism across Eastern Europe in the early 1990s…Go to the article to read the rest)

delhalew
7/4/2010, 09:58 AM
I don't understand. Can anyone explain to me what this reconciliation our House was voting on is supposed to accomplish? Also, what right do have to in interfere with Thai politics?

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 10:17 AM
I don't understand. Can anyone explain to me what this reconciliation our House was voting on is supposed to accomplish? Also, what right do have to in interfere with Thai politics?

Dude, I didn't explain it very well, so please forgive me. It really is nutso that our representatives are voting on endorsing Thai political reconcilation. It totally backfired in my humble opinion.

You can't be surprised that the US carries a lot weight around the world and moral authority and firepower.

You also can't be suprised about all of the lobby money sloshing around Washington. According to the Thai government, billionaire exiled and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had his lawyers in Washington lobbying for condemnation of the current government's crackdown on the Red Shirts. With the vote count, the Abhisit goverment was trumpeting a major victory.

Who knows the cost?

It is all really, really sick in my opinion. And, I should just shut the **** up.

delhalew
7/4/2010, 10:47 AM
I just have a hard time understanding why we would endorse the Thai government. If anything you would think we would speak out against human rights violations.
I know in the last election we had massive voter fraud and intimidation, but that doesn't mean it should be the model worldwide.

olevetonahill
7/4/2010, 10:48 AM
I cant ****in stand the yainch , but thats just me .:D

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 11:17 AM
I cant ****in stand the yainch , but thats just me .:D

Fair enough. You have the right to your opinion, as every adult in this world should be able to express without the fear of arrest.

Honestly, I've been waiting for a little more pro-active diplomatic policy from this Obama administration and Hil hasn't delivered yet. We need a yainch and a big one, in my opinion.

olevetonahill
7/4/2010, 11:35 AM
Fair enough. You have the right to your opinion, as every adult in this world should be able to express without the fear of arrest.

Honestly, I've been waiting for a little more pro-active diplomatic policy from this Obama administration and Hil hasn't delivered yet. We need a yainch and a big one, in my opinion.

Shouda got Oprey or rosie then :D

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 12:05 PM
Shouda got Oprey or rosie then :D

I am really down with that. That Albright chick could out arm wrestle and leg wrestle the bullies in this world even with WWII vintage tanks on their side. She publicly ridiculed them about their tiny little cojonies. Yep. She's bad and she's ours.

On a side note, would you rather have Hil for you or against?

olevetonahill
7/4/2010, 12:11 PM
Id rather her be in bills kitchen where she belongs :D

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 12:15 PM
On a side, side note, Condi couldn't even manage to spit out all of that Dick Cheney love residue. And, I have nothing against those who swallow.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 12:21 PM
Id rather her be in bills kitchen where she belongs :D

Are we talking about swallowing or spitting here?

SicEmBaylor
7/4/2010, 12:25 PM
I'm more worried about the freedom we're losing here at home than the freedom lost elsewhere. When is she going to speak up about that?

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 12:40 PM
I just have a hard time understanding why we would endorse the Thai government. If anything you would think we would speak out against human rights violations.
I know in the last election we had massive voter fraud and intimidation, but that doesn't mean it should be the model worldwide.

I missed this post, Jerk. Sorry. I kinda like the state department setting the tone of the whole global/political shabang and their traveling pants suit should be the Sec. of State. The HoR voting on this reconcilation dealio is just bogus, but Thais don't know that.

Thailand may not matter much to you, but it did in the past as a front-line border state with the communists, especially during and after the Vietnam War. There is a lot of history there that I don't want to go into. The new war is economic and states that could very easily fall into the growing economic/political sphere of China. Yeah, we are talking about the red menace again and this time it is all about the red ink of budget and trade deficits.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 12:54 PM
I'm more worried about the freedom we're losing here at home than the freedom lost elsewhere. When is she going to speak up about that?

I like that. I like that sentiment a lot. You have to keep up and be pretty vigiliant to protect your rights. Most of you cons are pretty lame and blind and most of the posts here are just down right stupid, like ya swallowed the gawdammed motherlode of Faux News.

All of this is playing very poorly overseas. And those chickens, which are just chickens now, come home to roast.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 02:10 PM
I did mean roost, but roast works as well.

I thought I was going to be shot down in a flaming fireworks display. It must be a holiday or something.

Ardmore_Sooner
7/4/2010, 02:17 PM
I heard Hill-dog has a snook in her sniz. Can anyone verify this?

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 02:37 PM
I have got to say that I appreciate Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Many here may not like her but they should at least hear what she is saying – that democracies and freedoms around the world are under attack.

George W. Bush thought so too. He sent in troops to do something about it. On the other hand, she has no solutions. It's just another political speech. Read on:

She recommended that the organization set up an independent means of monitoring repressive measures against social advocacy groups, and that the U.N. Human Rights Council do more to protect civil society. She announced that the U.S. would contribute $2 million to support the work of embattled non-governmental groups.

That is zero substance. (I laugh at $2 million -- the very definition of "token support.")

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 02:52 PM
I heard Hill-dog has a snook in her sniz. Can anyone verify this?

I pretty much consider myself standing in queue for the short bus, so this compliment may not mean much. But, DUDE!!! Total spec for daring to imagine a lil willy and a tsst...tsst...tssticular pair nestled up in the pants suit somewhere oo the Hill-dog. Okay, I did say that 3 times. Shutter...And major bonus points for the colorful words. I take it that to be snookered is like a European term.

And I want to invite you to lunch, say Casa Roma in downtown in December. They have some great Mexican food.

Breadburner
7/4/2010, 03:01 PM
I hate to admit this but she would be 10 times the President than that empty suit we have in there now.....I think I just threw up in my mouth a lil....

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 03:08 PM
George W. Bush thought so too. He sent in troops to do something about it. On the other hand, she has no solutions. It's just another political speech. Read on:

That is zero substance. (I laugh at $2 million -- the very definition of "token support.")

Like what the hell? DUDE, try to make it meaningful or at least amusing. Do you even know what $2 million gets you in the press, multiplied by 3 in a third-world country? It gets ya a lot of Sally Struthers and people love to feel good about God-bless-her-heart Sally. It's an industry and the money is not always so altrustic.

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 03:10 PM
I hate to admit this but she would be 10 times the President than that empty suit we have in there now.....I think I just threw up in my mouth a lil....

I can't stand her and I admit it too. But not because of some empty speech on freedom. She at least comes across as somewhat knowledgeable.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 03:12 PM

I hate that idea as well. But she would beat that mealy-mouthed Republican *** DOWN and shove her sniz up their snooker. Ardmore, did I use the terminology right? .

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 03:15 PM
Like what the hell? DUDE, try to make it meaningful or at least amusing. Do you even know what $2 million gets you in the press, multiplied by 3 in a third-world country? It gets ya a lot of Sally Struthers and people love to feel good about God-bless-her-heart Sally. It's an industry and the money is not always so altrustic.

I have been accused in here of not being the sharpest knife in the drawer. Maybe that's the problem here, because I can't figure out what the Hell you are trying to say. Something about the press and Sally Struthers. Can you take another whack at this?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/4/2010, 03:21 PM
I'm more worried about the freedom we're losing here at home than the freedom lost elsewhere. When is she going to speak up about that?The obvious question. She apparently can recognize tyranny, except for when she's part of it.

Chuck Bao
7/4/2010, 03:31 PM
Dude, don't try too hard. I lost seriousness after the first post. I'm not a troll and I don't mean to be a meanie or a thread killer.

We all good unless you want to put a Roman candle to my head.

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 03:32 PM
The obvious question. She apparently can recognize tyranny, except for when she's part of it.

At least Hillary shows some signs of respect for the Second Amendment. (Although she waffles around like crazy.) But who is one of the fiercest attackers of our right to defend ourselves against tyranny? Obama.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
7/4/2010, 03:40 PM
Defense against the tyranny shouldn't have to come to employment of the second amendment. Those involved in the tyranny, Hil, for example, should consider stopping the tyrannical acts.

olevetonahill
7/4/2010, 04:39 PM
I have been accused in here of not being the sharpest knife in the drawer. Maybe that's the problem here, because I can't figure out what the Hell you are trying to say. Something about the press and Sally Struthers. Can you take another whack at this?

Dude , Chuck makes more sense Drunker than Cooter Brown than YOU do sober :D

VeeJay
7/4/2010, 05:09 PM
Hillary is astutely trying to angle in and position herself for a run in 2012 against her boss. She will use any tactic to second guess The One - and increasingly more in public as we get closer to when people start throwing their hats in the ring. Hillary doesn't look like Estelle Getty yet - but she doesn't have many more presidential election cycles before she does become a Golden Girl. The cankles have long since disappeared from view.

Even Bill is in on the act - suggesting that the Deepwater Horizon hole be blown up. Expect more of this sideline sniping to continue from Team Arkansas.

Heh. Didn't we learn anything in 8 years of Bill & Hill?