PDA

View Full Version : We are the champions

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 05:56 PM
During this summer I am serving on a faculty committee to refurbish our faculty orientation workshops. One suggestion was to split the newly-hired faculty into smaller groups, each headed by a veteran professor. I liked that idea.

Someone suggested that we title each group leader a "champion." So each newly hired faculty member would report to his or her champion. (It actually says that in the draft of the training manual: "You will submit your responses to your champion.") I objected that such a statement was demeaning to the new faculty members, but I was overruled.

What do y'all think? Personally, I would not want to report to "my champion." But I can't quite express my reasoning. It just sounds horrible. Or am I reaching?

delhalew
7/3/2010, 06:00 PM
Perhaps you could think of champions other meaning in this instance.
n.

1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner: a champion at teaching.
3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the homeless.
4. One who fights; a warrior.

tr.v., -oned, -on·ing, -ons.

1. To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See synonyms at support.
2. Obsolete. To defy or challenge.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 06:01 PM
Perhaps you could think of champions other meaning in this instance.
n.

1. One that wins first place or first prize in a competition.
2. One that is clearly superior or has the attributes of a winner: a champion at teaching.
3. An ardent defender or supporter of a cause or another person: a champion of the homeless.
4. One who fights; a warrior.

tr.v., -oned, -on·ing, -ons.

1. To fight for, defend, or support as a champion: championed the cause of civil rights. See synonyms at support.
2. Obsolete. To defy or challenge.

Sure, I *could*. But will all the newly hired faculty jump to that definition?

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2010, 06:02 PM
You reaching?

NAW!!!!

delhalew
7/3/2010, 06:05 PM
Sure, I *could*. But will all the newly hired faculty jump to that definition?

I would/did. Unless they are insecure gerbils, they will as well.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 06:14 PM
BTW, I do think it's dumb, goofy, and unnecessary, but it does follow my opinion of our education system.

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 10:02 PM
During this summer I am serving on a faculty committee to refurbish our faculty orientation workshops. One suggestion was to split the newly-hired faculty into smaller groups, each headed by a veteran professor. I liked that idea.

Someone suggested that we title each group leader a "champion." So each newly hired faculty member would report to his or her champion. (It actually says that in the draft of the training manual: "You will submit your responses to your champion.") I objected that such a statement was demeaning to the new faculty members, but I was overruled.

What do y'all think? Personally, I would not want to report to "my champion." But I can't quite express my reasoning. It just sounds horrible. Or am I reaching?

Only cool if they each have to give you a token of their favor.

Nope. That'd still be lame. I'm with you on this one. Someone's been going to too many SCA meetings or something in your department. I don't necessarily think it's demeaning, I just think it's ghey as ****.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 10:15 PM
I don't necessarily think it's demeaning, I just think it's ghey as ****.

Unfortunately, they would like that.