PDA

View Full Version : Education

delhalew
7/3/2010, 05:00 PM
http://record-eagle.com/opinion/x1385497137/Froum-Losing-touch-with-our-independence

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/72-don%E2%80%99t-know-much-about-history/

Am I the only one who hears a person say "fourth of July", and wonders if they even know we are celebrating our independence from the British?

I implore parents to supplement your children's education as the distance between our children and understanding of our past leaves us in no position the be surprised when our young people support ideals antithetical to the values of this nation.

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 05:10 PM
I wonder how large the percentage of people in this country is that doesn't know what the phrase "begging the question" actually means. The good people at Marist don't seem to.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 05:12 PM
I wonder how large the percentage of people in this country is that doesn't know what the phrase "begging the question" actually means. The good people at Marist don't seem to.

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to pull out the grammer smack. You haven't let me down.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 05:12 PM
But we started a patriotic thread filled with lots of red, white, and blue and posted videos of Jimi Hendrix playing the Star Spangled Banner. Doesn't that count?

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 05:15 PM
I wondered how long it would take for somebody to pull out the grammer smack. You haven't let me down.

Yeah, that's not grammar smack. First, it's not directed at you, so chill out. Second, it's "Don't know what things mean" smack. Begging the question has a precise meaning. They misused it badly.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 05:16 PM

Well, you could nail him for the dangling preposition. :)

But Froze is right. Begging the question is strictly a fallacy.

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 05:16 PM

Heh. Yeah, I was just about to point out my own grammatical failing when I hit refresh on the thread.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 05:18 PM
Heh. Yeah, I was just about to point out my own grammatical failing when I hit refresh on the thread.

Hell, I'll dangle my prepositions anywhere I want... to.

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 05:19 PM
You can always just make sure to end each sentence with an insult.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 05:23 PM
You can always just make sure to end each sentence with an insult.

That's half the posts in this forum. (And pretty much all of KC's.)

If you were hinting at me, I'm probably one of the least insulting posters in here. (Which isn't saying much.)

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 05:33 PM
Nope, wasn't hinting at you at all. I was referencing the joke of "Can you tell me where the library is at, a-hole?"

Ike
7/3/2010, 05:40 PM
A whopping 6% said we gained our independence from some country other than Britain. I wonder how many of those had decided to just mess around with the pollster and give nutty answers.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 05:44 PM

I understand. I wish people still knew how to write. Yes, I too have gotten lazy. That's why I don't bust people.

Most importantly, that's not the point of the ****ing thread (despite the title). I think we all know that. God forbid you try to have a conversation on this board.

SunnySooner
7/3/2010, 05:44 PM
Remember when Jay Leno did the "Jaywalking" segments on The Tonight Show? I couldn't watch those. It was so depressing to me to know that such a huge percentage of the general populace is actually that stupid/ignorant/oblivious. It wasn't at all funny, in fact it was terribly sad.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 05:46 PM
The first comments in the forum linked are about "Begging the Question" and "how many were just f'ing with them"...just pointing that out.

delhalew
7/3/2010, 05:48 PM
Remember when Jay Leno did the "Jaywalking" segments on The Tonight Show? I couldn't watch those. It was so depressing to me to know that such a huge percentage of the general populace is actually that stupid/ignorant/oblivious. It wasn't at all funny, in fact it was terribly sad.

I've seen those. I always said to wife, "what's depressing is it's not like he has to hunt for these people. What do you want to bet that mental midget is the first person he found?"

AlbqSooner
7/3/2010, 05:53 PM

This is nonsense up with which I shall not put!;)

AlbqSooner
7/3/2010, 05:55 PM
Hell, I'll dangle my prepositions anywhere I want... to.

I generally dangle my participles. My prepostions I reserve to end a sentence with.

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 09:29 PM
I'm going to request you stop posting in this thread.

AlbqSooner
7/3/2010, 09:32 PM
I hope you are chiting me. If so, ya forgot the winky. If not, I guess your request was denied.:D

Frozen Sooner
7/3/2010, 09:34 PM
I never forget the winky.

That's what she said.