PDA

View Full Version : something to tide us over while we wait for kickoff

btk108
7/2/2010, 10:56 PM
http://www.newsok.com/ou-free-safety-quinton-carter-gives-back-by-starting-nonprofit-charitable-foundation/article/3473193?custom_click=lead_story_title

AlbqSooner
7/3/2010, 06:09 AM
Yet another Sooner who is a "Good Man".

Thanks for posting that.

sooner n houston
7/3/2010, 07:35 AM
Good stuff, thanks for posting!

mehip
7/3/2010, 09:10 AM
Holy Cow. That is one organized young man.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 10:11 AM
He also added a minor in nonprofit organizational studies to his sociology/criminology major.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/ou-free-safety-quinton-carter-gives-back-by-starting-nonprofit-charitable-foundation/article/3473193?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0sdGVmSY p

This is an example of where a minor could be more important than the major, especially since it is backed up with real-world experience.

goingoneight
7/4/2010, 11:42 AM
Wait... I could have sworn after reading hornfans and OP that OUr players were thugs and cheaters.

Something must be wrong here. ;)

Good deal, QC... :)

MichiganSooner
7/4/2010, 03:36 PM
But the story was written by Jenni. LOL.

Thanks for posting.

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 04:21 PM
Another story on an ex-Sooner:

http://www.newsok.com/former-ou-player-corey-wilsons-mother-amazed-at-community-response/article/3473446

Former OU player Corey Wilson's mother amazed at community response

BY CORBIN HOSLER, Staff Writer, [email protected] Oklahoman Comment on this article 6
Published: July 3, 2010

When Wendy Wilson spoke out about her dispute with the apartment complex where her son, former OU football player Corey Wilson, used to live, she didn't expect much. What she got was a response from the community that she said she "never dreamed of."

"Everyone wants to know how they can help," said Wilson, whose son was a Sooner wide receiver before a February 2009 car accident left him paralyzed from the waist down. "We're so grateful for the response. Oklahoma people are second to none."

After the accident, Corey's family verbally notified the apartment complex, Twin Creek Village, that he would move out, but failed to provide a required written notice. Due to the lack of written notification, apartment officials charged the family $2,300 for the remainder of the lease, something Corey's mother said that shouldn't have happened because of the extenuating circumstances.

Based on the response from the community, Wendy decided to create a fund for her son at Bank of America. Those interested in contributing to the fund can do so at any Bank of America location by asking for "The Corey Wilson Fund."

Wendy said she wants to use the money to pay Corey's medical bills.

"I don't want to benefit from this, I just want to pay the bills — that's all I'm looking for," she said. "We have hospital bills, bills from all the other care he's gotten, and his medication always has a co-pay. If there's any left over after that, the apartment complex is the last on the list.

"Right now we're just trying to put one foot in front of the other."

On Feb. 27, 2009, Corey was traveling southbound on I-35 near Paul's Valley when his SUV collided with a pickup and rolled off the highway, throwing him 45 feet. He spent a week in intensive care as part of more than a month-long stay at OU Medical Center.

Corey has a wheelchair-accessible apartment in Norman, but his family's home in Carrollton, Texas, isn't made to accommodate his needs.

"He can't get into the bathroom in his wheelchair," Wendy said. "It's gut-wrenching to know he has to pull himself on the floor from the wheelchair to the toilet, from the toilet to the shower."

But thanks to a donation from the Bob Stoops Foundation, Wendy hopes to make life easier for her son while he's at home.

"The main bathroom will be modified so he can get his wheelchair in there to use the shower and brush his teeth," she said. "We haven't told him, but hopefully it will be done when he comes home in the fall and he'll be surprised. I'm excited about that."

Corey has his own plans for his future.

"I want to start a foundation to help people who are put into the same situation I was," he said. "I was blessed to be in a situation where I had help from coach Stoops and my teammates, but not everyone is that lucky. It would mean everything to me to be able to help someone else put into this situation."

Corey said setting up the fund is nothing compared to what his mother has done for him since the accident.

"She's been there for me and provided for everything I need," he said. "It (the fund) means a lot to me, but not more than having a family that supports me."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/former-ou-player-corey-wilsons-mother-amazed-at-community-response/article/3473446#ixzz0skcNj7hV

MichiganSooner
7/4/2010, 07:07 PM
Story from Tulsa World about Adrian Peterson doing good works in Uganda and Capetown. He was joined on the trip by Mark Clayton, Tommy Harris, and Roy Williams.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=223&articleid=20100704_29_B5_Viking632222

On his way to India to help a friend distribute hearing aids to deaf children, Larry Fitzgerald was warned how overwhelming it is to witness someone hearing their own voice for the first time.

Little did the Arizona Cardinals star receiver realize what awaited him.

Once Fitzgerald saw the expression of joy and wonder on the child's face for the first time, it rendered immaterial anything he had ever accomplished on a football field.

"To be able to see that smile was really moving," Fitzgerald said. "To be able to do something like that really humbled you and brought you down to earth and makes you appreciate what you have, and making a difference in that child's life. I know that child couldn't care less of what I did. All they cared about is that they were able to hear."

Fitzgerald's experience as part of Bill Austin and his Starkey Hearing Foundation's mission to India and Nepal in March was one shared by many of his colleagues. There were an abundance of NFL players who spent the past months taking part in what amounted to an offseason of worldwide giving.

Former Oklahoma and current Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson will never complain of feeling sore or bored after helping provide health care, food and water to villagers in Uganda and visiting an orphanage in Cape Town, South Africa.

"It was humbling," Peterson said. "You really don't realize how blessed you are."

Joined by former OU stars Tommie Harris, Roy Williams and Mark Clayton, Peterson spent 10 days touring parts of Africa along with a group of Oklahoma City medical professionals, lawyers and business leaders. Together, they helped dig wells, assisted in building a small school, distributed medical supplies, played games with children while donating their time and money to help make a difference.

Peterson was struck by how the simplest necessities could be so difficult to get, with people often walking miles on dirt roads for fresh water.

"It was a blessing to be in a position to experience that," Peterson said. "It makes you more grounded and be able to say, 'Hey, you think you've got it rough? Ha.' This was rough. This was survival."

Fitzgerald can still envision children in India begging for a T-shirt, a pair of socks or even a stick of gum.