PDA

View Full Version : Best College Football Preview Magazine

jonclarkx
7/2/2010, 02:52 PM
Anyone know of a good College Football Preview magazine? I've seen a few Athlon preview mags but never picked one up before.

BIG 12 - OU/OSU Athlon Preview:
http://www.athlonsports.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=33_285_35_287&products_id=7640

National - OU/Texas/Alabama
http://www.athlonsports.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7659

Are there any difference in what these magazines contain? Or is it just a difference in covers? Preferences?

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2010, 03:09 PM
You're kinda new to this, aren't you?
http://www.philsteele.com/

jonclarkx
7/2/2010, 03:41 PM
I guess you could say that - I know the Athlon magazine is already out...when does Steele's come out?

goingoneight
7/2/2010, 03:47 PM
Athlon is usually the first out, therefore the top-seller since America is STARVING for college football by this time.

But if you want someone who's done his homework on the who's-who of college football for the upcoming season, save your seven bucks a few weeks and get Phil Steele. Nobody's top 25 is really ever worth a damn, they just sell more copies due to the overwhelming population of fans who want to be stupid and talk out their azzes about the season before it ever kicks off. Steele knows who the good returning players are, to the bright spots of spring ball, to the things people aren't necessarily all paying attention to... like when someone might have finished on a high note in a BCS game, and graduated their whole team. An Athlon's or Lindy's might jump on somebody's bandwagon based on last year long before you'll see Steele do that.

TMcGee86
7/2/2010, 03:49 PM
lol at usc being #2 for "best coaching jobs"

Yeah notsomuch at the moment. Good luck coaching in 3 years with only 50 kids on scholly.

jonclarkx
7/2/2010, 04:26 PM
Athlon is usually the first out, therefore the top-seller since America is STARVING for college football by this time.

But if you want someone who's done his homework on the who's-who of college football for the upcoming season, save your seven bucks a few weeks and get Phil Steele. Nobody's top 25 is really ever worth a damn, they just sell more copies due to the overwhelming population of fans who want to be stupid and talk out their azzes about the season before it ever kicks off. Steele knows who the good returning players are, to the bright spots of spring ball, to the things people aren't necessarily all paying attention to... like when someone might have finished on a high note in a BCS game, and graduated their whole team. An Athlon's or Lindy's might jump on somebody's bandwagon based on last year long before you'll see Steele do that.

So would you recommend Steele's General College Football Preview or the Regional? (Big 12 Edition) The General Edition should be already out, but I don't think the Regional comes out until mid-July...

gaylordfan1
7/2/2010, 05:18 PM
yea, I haven't seen it out yet... either of them.

VA Sooner
7/2/2010, 08:25 PM
Phil Steele is already out. Loved this year's edition... although I guess I'm biased. We'll see if Mr. Steele has it right. I have to say that the man is pretty impressive with his analysis. Dream job... wouldn't mind getting paid to watch hours and hours of football each year.

goingoneight
7/2/2010, 09:46 PM
So would you recommend Steele's General College Football Preview or the Regional? (Big 12 Edition) The General Edition should be already out, but I don't think the Regional comes out until mid-July...

I think the only difference in the "regional" is the cover. I could we wrong though.

PDXsooner
7/2/2010, 11:36 PM
Anyone know of a good College Football Preview magazine? I've seen a few Athlon preview mags but never picked one up before.

Jon- I used to buy them all -- Lindy's, Athlon's, Sporting News, Street and Smith's, etc...then I discovered Phil Steele. Follow these instructions: Buy Phil Steele, and never think about any other magazine again. Period. Trust me.

JLEW1818
7/2/2010, 11:41 PM
i end up buying them all.. why the f not??? what else is there to do ? :D

Flagstaffsooner
7/3/2010, 12:51 AM
i end up buying them all.. why the f not??? what else is there to do ? :D
Have you seen jlew's coffee table? A pile of football mags on one side and a pile of pron mags on the other. He jerks the worm to both.;)

JLEW1818
7/3/2010, 08:29 AM
hehe, did that pic get leaked?

delhalew
7/3/2010, 12:28 PM
Jon- I used to buy them all -- Lindy's, Athlon's, Sporting News, Street and Smith's, etc...then I discovered Phil Steele. Follow these instructions: Buy Phil Steele, and never think about any other magazine again. Period. Trust me.

This. Once you discover Phil Steele's mag the rest become useless.

webfoot
7/3/2010, 12:31 PM
Have you seen jlew's coffee table? A pile of football mags on one side and a pile of pron mags on the other. He jerks the worm to both.;)

:eek: :eek:

jonclarkx
7/3/2010, 10:33 PM
I think the only difference in the "regional" is the cover. I could we wrong though.

From what I understand, there is a National College Football Preview that has various covers, but the same material (2 pages per school) - this version is already available. 300+ pages

Additionally, there are regional conference magazines for each major conference that have 4 pages per school (i.e. Big 12/Big 10 magazine) but just for that region. This version is available July 7. 140+ pages

Anyone prefer the regional coverage magazine over the national? I'm torn on which to buy.

https://www.philsteele.com/store/

delhalew
7/4/2010, 12:32 AM
Buy both or buy either. The info is accurate and the prognostication is top notch. Phil's website is updated regularly and remains a useful tool throughout the season.

oudivesherpa
7/4/2010, 07:55 PM
Phil Steele's mag's are on the stand here in Texas--I've had mine since June15th. I used to buy them all--now just buy Phil Steele he has been the most accurate the last 10 years. Only problem, he has OU #1 in the nation this year--I think the Sooners will be very good, but I'd rather be #20 in July2010 and #1 on January 10,2011.

OUmillenium
7/5/2010, 08:50 AM
I usually read Phil S's take on the Sooners in the store. I tend to buy Athlon's because it is the first out and tends to have some cool pics.