PDA

View Full Version : French Observations

texas bandman
7/2/2010, 12:27 AM
Just got back from France and I think I know why they have problems. Every meal I ate over there took a minimum of 2 hours. I mean 2 hours for every meal, how do they ever get any work accomplished! I mean they'd sit you down and in 15 minutes they'd come over and take your drink order and then 15 minutes later bring your drinks and some bread and take your order. Fifteen minutes to a half hour later they'd bring your appetizer. 20-30 minutes after you'd finished your appetizer they'd finally bring out the main course. After that, you'd have to wait forever for them to bring your dessert and not to mention the wait for them to get your ticket and then the wait for them to take your money. It seemed like I spent more time in restaurants than I did sightseeing. Their meals just weren't set up for this type A American personality. :D

But it is a lovely country and most of the people were very kind to this Okie who couldn't speak any French whatsoever. Most of the time I just said "bon jour", looked confused and asked them if they "Parlez-vous anglais?" As long as you greeted them they would try to help you the best that they could.

My church choir did get to sing at some of the most beautiful churches that I've ever seen...we had performances at Chartres Cathedral, Madeleine Church, Notre Dame Cathedral, and The American Cathedral. The performance at Notre Dame was truly inspirational.

My one regret was that I didn't go to Normandy. A small group from our choir went on one of our free days and they said that it was a moving experience. My wife and I spent that day at the d'Orsay museum and the Louvre, which are both awe-inspiring.

It was a great trip and I've now got one of the destinations marked off my "bucket list".

SteelCitySooner
7/2/2010, 01:41 AM
lol... i lived in europe for 6 years.. i feel your pain.. you get used it.. good times..

MrJimBeam
7/2/2010, 06:32 AM
It's strange but one of the little things I noticed while in Paris was when the sanitation trucks would come down the streets early in the morning each truck had probably 10 sanitation workers assigned to it. Three guys pushing buckets, three guys with brooms, three guys with dust pans, and one guy driving the truck. I thought that was very unproductive. All these garbage men and none of them sweeping up all the dog ****. Dog **** is everywhere in Paris. It's a great city though and I can't wait to go back.

KC//CRIMSON
7/2/2010, 10:38 AM
Just got back from France .

Only two hours? You got off light, but that's how they roll over there and I wouldn't change it for anything. You gotta admire their efficiency in transportation though, super easy place/country to get around.

France is an awesome place to go visit and the Notre Dame Cathedral is unbelievable. I challenge anyone to step in there and not feel something. It was a great experience for me personally. I'd totally go tour that country again, just too much to see and do when you're trying to squeeze it in a week and a half.

Flagstaffsooner
7/2/2010, 11:32 AM
It only takes one hour at the Chez McDonalds drive thru.

stoopified
7/2/2010, 11:46 AM
FUCQ the FRENCH

CatfishSooner
7/2/2010, 03:03 PM
FUCQ the FRENCH

this

Peach Fuzz
7/2/2010, 03:37 PM
Have you ever visited south France? The southern coast is way different than the mid country... very relaxing and has those very tightly packed mountain/shore villas... love it and the women shave there!

SoonerStormchaser
7/2/2010, 03:48 PM
Welcome to what is known in Curacao as "island time." Just about nowhere else in the world is as fast-paced as us in America...so it's a culture shock to most of us that they go so damn slow.