PDA

View Full Version : Fanhouse: Football spending vs. winning

badger
7/1/2010, 12:29 PM
Interesting article here. (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/06/29/big-spending-ohio-state-could-change-nickname-to-bucks-eyes)

Here's how the Big 12's football budgets breakdown in millions:
Big 12

1. Texas
$22.56
2. Oklahoma
$20.79
3. Nebraska
$17.93
4. Texas A&M
$16.06
5. Missouri
$15.68
6. Iowa State
$14.40
7. Kansas State
$14.01
8. Texas Tech
$13.96
9. Kansas
$13.33
10. Colorado
$13.04
11. Oklahoma State
$12.49
12. Baylor
$10.90

It declares Tech the best spender and Iowa State the worst, based on how many wins they've gotten against BCS schools in the last five years.

It also lists the top BCS spenders... OU doesn't crack the top 10 overall.

cheezyq
7/2/2010, 07:06 AM
I contend that Texas is the worst. They make the most money, spend the most money on their football program, and have premier access to the hottest recruiting base in the country, and the best they can do is win 1 title in 40 years?

stoopified
7/4/2010, 05:18 PM
I contend that Texas is the worst. They make the most money, spend the most money on their football program, and have premier access to the hottest recruiting base in the country, and the best they can do is win 1 title in 40 years?To be fair,it IS one NC in 35 years(they won back to back NCs in '69-'70) prior to that 2005 title.By comparison OU won FOUR NCs between 1970 and 2005('74,'75,'85,'00).

freshchris05
7/4/2010, 07:22 PM
To be fair,it IS one NC in 35 years(they won back to back NCs in '69-'70) prior to that 2005 title.By comparison OU won FOUR NCs between 1970 and 2005('74,'75,'85,'00).

So what you're sayin is we are twice the program as Texas?:D

TexasLidig8r
7/6/2010, 11:22 AM
I contend that Texas is the worst. They make the most money, spend the most money on their football program, and have premier access to the hottest recruiting base in the country, and the best they can do is win 1 title in 40 years?

First, are you talking competitive balance or are you talking economics?

Second, the monies represented monies spent for 2008- 2009 alone, not historically. You're trying to compare apples to pumpkins.

If you're talking economics, you are incredibly off base.

Texas spent $22 million on its football program but grossed $87 million. That means Texas NET profits from football alone was approximately $65 million. This includes revenue from television contracts, ticket sales, apparel sales, licensing fees, etc. These profits are invested in all athletic programs, not just the football program. There's a reason why most sports are called, "non-revenue" sports. Except for football at some programs, and basketball at some progams, other sports financially drain the athletic budget.

Whereas some of the money is certainly reinvested in the football program and facilities, a lot is distributed to support the vast majority of these other athletic programs.

To put this in better perspective, Texas' net profits EXCEEDED the gross profits of all but 4 NCAA programs.

However,.... don't let the facts get in the way of your "I hate UT" opinions.

Rocko
7/6/2010, 01:26 PM
First, are you talking competitive balance or are you talking economics?

Second, the monies represented monies spent for 2008- 2009 alone, not historically. You're trying to compare apples to pumpkins.

If you're talking economics, you are incredibly off base.

Texas spent $22 million on its football program but grossed $87 million. That means Texas NET profits from football alone was approximately $65 million. This includes revenue from television contracts, ticket sales, apparel sales, licensing fees, etc. These profits are invested in all athletic programs, not just the football program. There's a reason why most sports are called, "non-revenue" sports. Except for football at some programs, and basketball at some progams, other sports financially drain the athletic budget.

Whereas some of the money is certainly reinvested in the football program and facilities, a lot is distributed to support the vast majority of these other athletic programs.

To put this in better perspective, Texas' net profits EXCEEDED the gross profits of all but 4 NCAA programs.

However,.... don't let the facts get in the way of your "I hate UT" opinions.

Do you get your kicks out of proving people's opinions wrong on an internet forum?

badger
7/6/2010, 01:38 PM
Do you get your kicks out of proving people's opinions wrong on an internet forum?

The good thing about opinions is they cannot be wrong. :P

Rocko
7/6/2010, 01:49 PM

Exactly, I was just pointing out the futility of his attempt at doing so.

TexasLidig8r
7/6/2010, 01:49 PM

Zing.

Well played Badger. :D

badger
7/6/2010, 01:57 PM
Zing.

Well played Badger. :D

I take that back. Saying "The University of Texas is awesome" is a wrong opinion. Stop being wrong, Lid. ;)

TexasLidig8r
7/6/2010, 02:27 PM
I take that back. Saying "The University of Texas is awesome" is a wrong opinion. Stop being wrong, Lid. ;)

Now now.. that is not an opinion.

That is a statement of general fact!

badger
7/6/2010, 02:29 PM
Now now.. that is not an opinion.

That is a statement of general fact!

Oh really? Cuz I thought that there wasn't anything awesome about losing to TCU in baseball to end your baseball season, nor was there anything awesome about losing to Alabama to end your football championship hopes, nor losing at home in the NCAA tourney to end your womens bball season, nor ending your NCAA tourney run prematurely after having a #1 ranking at one point in mens basketball.

Yes, I would have to say that the only statement of general fact that can be said regarding "Texas" and "awesome" is one that includes the word "not."