PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we got a new starting kicker

ndpruitt03
7/1/2010, 09:01 AM
http://www.chrissailerkicking.com/top-recruits/1494/PlayerProfile.html

Michael is simple the best and most ready kicker in the nation. He has a strong leg and gets great height on his ball. Also huge on kickoffs. He has proven that he can kick off the ground at the highest level. One of the most talented and mature kickers in the class of 2010. Steady and clutch performer. Will be a great addition to OU.

CrimsonCommando
7/1/2010, 09:25 AM
YEAH!! I will be rooting for all of them.

jumperstop
7/1/2010, 09:28 AM
So how many kickers will we have? Hopefully not wasting the 5 or 6 scholarships on all them...

KantoSooner
7/1/2010, 09:33 AM
I smile.

IronHorseSooner
7/1/2010, 10:32 AM
As the Official OleVet Special Teams Coach, I approve this addition. This is the guy we NEED. Look for kicker, of all positions, to be one of the most heated competitions coming into the fall.

The only scholly kickers we have are Stevens and Way. O'Hara, Moreland, and Easley are all walk-ons.

rawlingsHOH
7/1/2010, 10:37 AM
So how many kickers will we have? Hopefully not wasting the 5 or 6 scholarships on all them...
seems pretty unlikely, don't you think? ;)

SunnySooner
7/1/2010, 11:24 AM
Wonder why the highlight vids were taken down? Wish we'd had him last year. :( Can't wait to hear the aggy stories about how we stole him from them by cheating and lying and buying him a car and his parents a beach house or something, they're nothing if not creative.

oudavid1
7/1/2010, 11:57 AM
rivals or scout, i just wanna see something more offical

swardboy
7/1/2010, 12:04 PM
rivals or scout, i just wanna see something more offical

Yeah, cause he's wearing an OSU t-shirt in the pics below. I don't trust a site that spells "simply" s-i-m-p-l-e...

badger
7/1/2010, 12:32 PM

Schollys are only good for one season. If someone's not cutting it, they can get cut.

Not sure if that is college football etiquitte, though. Don't teams usually stick with players whether they pan out or not?

rawlingsHOH
7/1/2010, 12:52 PM
Schollys are only good for one season. If someone's not cutting it, they can get cut.

Not sure if that is college football etiquitte, though. Don't teams usually stick with players whether they pan out or not?

they will almost always honor the scholarship if the kid is doing things the right way in the classroom/weightroom, etc, no matter how poor he is on the field. there are some coaches out there who will try and get kids to quit or just yank it straight up, but most of the time they will stick with a good kid, and just chalk it up to a recruiting mistake.

MeMyself&Me
7/1/2010, 01:08 PM
It seems I've read of cases where athletes were moved to 'non-athletic' scholarships before but I don't remember the details on that. Those cases might have been career injury related or something for all I know.

badger
7/1/2010, 01:55 PM
they will almost always honor the scholarship if the kid is doing things the right way in the classroom/weightroom

Oh my, I feel a [hairGel] rant coming on... oh no, too late! Here is comes!

Here's all that kid did. He goes to class. He's respectful to the media! He's respectful to the public! And he's a good kid. And he's not a professional athlete and he doesn't deserve to be kicked when he's down.

;)

freshchris05
7/1/2010, 03:59 PM
Has anyone looked this up? I searched Rivals and Scout couldn't even find the kid.

Leroy Lizard
7/1/2010, 04:15 PM
there are some coaches out there who will try and get kids to quit...

This must be some kind of mistake.

Signed,

Darrell Royal

Serge Ibaka
7/1/2010, 04:20 PM
He looks like a dork.

KantoSooner
7/1/2010, 04:21 PM
hello, my name is Lane Kiffin

HBick
7/1/2010, 06:56 PM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4204766

Scout profile has nothing about OU on it, but check the oklahoman in the morning, or watch Dean at 10 tonight, they usually relay the info to the masses quickly

OU-HSV
7/1/2010, 09:20 PM
Never heard of him. I can't find anything official on him either with OU tabbed

ndpruitt03
7/1/2010, 09:28 PM
There's a couple facebook posts, more info on him on OUI that USC wanted him but their probation hurt their chance. Don't know if he's a walk-on or on scholarship. If he's good enough to play I'm sure he'll earn a schollie.

gaylordfan1
7/1/2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, confused.... He will be here for this season if all is true?

ndpruitt03
7/1/2010, 10:43 PM
2010 recruit, so yes.

HateTheWhorns
7/2/2010, 09:33 AM
Has anyone looked this up? I searched Rivals and Scout couldn't even find the kid.

Up until signing day earlier this year, Michael was rated the 16th best kicker on Rivals' list. I am a season ticket holder at JJ Pearce and a JJP grad. I grew up watching local JJP kids like Chris Jacke (Packers), Chip Lohmiller (Redskins) before he moved to MN, and Jeff Jacke (1st Team AA @ Missouri). Michael definitely has the strongest leg of them all. He is pretty accurate and has a very high arc on the ball from off the ground (which we need). He played for a high scoring team in high school and did very well on xtra points and pretty well on his FG attempts. Of the FG kicks that he did miss, several were under difficult conditions (long distance, high wind, rain, etc.).

Not totally sold on whether he can fill all of our placekicking duties, but he certainly has the ability to. I can, however, almost guaranty that he will be utilized in some capacity (KOs, XPts, Long FGs, etc.).

HateTheWhorns
7/2/2010, 09:36 AM

I had the same problem until I entered 2010 (instead of 2011) and spelled his name right (Hunnicutt instead of Honeycutt).

He shows up as a 2 star kicker with a 5.3 rating.

HateTheWhorns
7/2/2010, 10:33 AM
There's a couple facebook posts, more info on him on OUI that USC wanted him but their probation hurt their chance. Don't know if he's a walk-on or on scholarship. If he's good enough to play I'm sure he'll earn a schollie.

I was told by JJP insiders that OU offered him a partial scholarship. Not sure if my source was trying to embellish the situation or was accurate in his facts. Not even sure if OU offers partials but that is what I was told.

Michael reminds me of Tress Way in many respects. Both are good athletes (as michael was a starting WR on one of the top offenses in the DFW area), similar leg strength and kicking heighth. While Michael hasn't kicked in front of 85K fans, he is a very composured kid I do believe he will end up being a more accurate FG kicker than Tress.

IronHorseSooner
7/2/2010, 10:44 AM
I would have liked to have seen some video of him kicking to see his mechanics and accuracy. If he did that well at that camp, I trust that he is good enough to come here. I had a feeling during the recruiting process that we would a kicker from somewhere. For me, if he can hit all his XPs, 90% FGs under 40, and have about a 40% rate on touchbacks, I would be satisfied. Anything above that is extra-credit, and is better than what we have now.

TXBOOMER
7/4/2010, 10:32 AM
they will almost always honor the scholarship if the kid is doing things the right way in the classroom/weightroom, etc, no matter how poor he is on the field. there are some coaches out there who will try and get kids to quit or just yank it straight up, but most of the time they will stick with a good kid, and just chalk it up to a recruiting mistake.

We just send them to Tulsa. :D

rawlingsHOH
7/4/2010, 05:41 PM
I was told by JJP insiders that OU offered him a partial scholarship. Not sure if my source was trying to embellish the situation or was accurate in his facts. Not even sure if OU offers partials but that is what I was told.

cant do partials in football

ndpruitt03
7/4/2010, 10:35 PM
I think they are basically saying if he gets the job he'll get a scholarship. Not sure if that's what it means though.