PDA

View Full Version : Red River Shootout looking to a permanent 2:30 kickoff

Collier11
7/1/2010, 12:41 AM
Thank God!!!

http://www.examiner.com/x-50656-Oklahoma-Sooners-Examiner~y2010m6d29-Will-the-OklahomaTexas-game-be-moved-to-later-in-the-day

gaylordfan1
7/1/2010, 08:17 AM
sigh.... I give this one a HUGE thumbs up!

goingoneight
7/1/2010, 08:42 AM
But... but... but... it should be a night game in beautiful, friendly downtown Dullass!

KantoSooner
7/1/2010, 08:56 AM
Like all great battles, it should be fought at dawn, following a night's full-on preparation.

badger
7/1/2010, 09:17 AM
But... but... but... it should be a night game in beautiful, friendly downtown Dullass!

Ahhhh! drowning in a pool of sarcasm! :eek:

TexasLidig8r
7/1/2010, 10:35 AM
With the "mirror" telecast, we won't have to worry about ABC keeping the game at 11:00 as their "featured" national telecast.

Everything from Texas, the Midwest and east gets Texas - OU on ABC. Everything west gets the game on ESPN.

This sits well with me.

badger
7/1/2010, 10:47 AM
With the "mirror" telecast, we won't have to worry about ABC keeping the game at 11:00 as their "featured" national telecast.

Everything from Texas, the Midwest and east gets OU-Texas on ABC. Everything west gets the game on ESPN.

This sits well with me.
FIFY

SunnySooner
7/1/2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah, they need to make that state law or something--make yourself useful, Lid, I'm guessing you have some good ole boy cronies you could call.

Last year, I was up at 5:45, we were all out the door by 7:45, walking in the gates around 9:00, first beer at 9:15--and we went out after the game/fair, of course, don't remember what time I passed ou...I mean, went to sleep, but it was a helluva long day. The 2:30 works much better, very happy to see that.

TahoeSOONER
7/1/2010, 11:57 AM
Getting up that early sucks but most will still want to get down there ASAP.

Last year people got stuck on the tram and there were near riots on those trains. I heard fans that missed the entire first half! It would take years off my life if that happened to me, I took a cab.

Collier11
7/1/2010, 11:58 AM

It does need to be a night game, just never at the fairgrounds :eek:

oudavid1
7/1/2010, 11:59 AM
2:30 so i can migrate back to fort worth and have some nice family time. Perfect!

TexasLidig8r
7/1/2010, 12:13 PM
It does need to be a night game, just never at the fairgrounds :eek:

Collier.. I swear to God and Sunny Jesus if you are one of those, "move it to the Deathstar" wonks, I will hunt you down, and flail you alive with the top of a rusty Campbell's soupcan. :mad:

Collier11
7/1/2010, 12:27 PM
I dont prefer Jerry World, I just think it is inevitable, Jerry has too much money to throw at the game.

My preference for a night game is separate from where I prefer the game being played, I just know that the fairgrounds at night isnt gonna happen

TexasLidig8r
7/1/2010, 01:41 PM
I dont prefer Jerry World, I just think it is inevitable, Jerry has too much money to throw at the game.

My preference for a night game is separate from where I prefer the game being played, I just know that the fairgrounds at night isnt gonna happen

We're contracted with the State Fair through 2015.

By then, the shine will be off Jerry's Deathstar.. which by the way.. sucks BADLY for college football.

Texas and Dodds have a good, healthy dose of distain for Jughead Jones. If Dallas keeps a mayor who can explain to the idiot City Council (i.e., talking very slowly and using very simple words) why it's important to keep the game at Fair Park, we should be ok.

The Deathstar would suck.. hard...

yermom
7/1/2010, 02:41 PM
Getting up that early sucks but most will still want to get down there ASAP.

Last year people got stuck on the tram and there were near riots on those trains. I heard fans that missed the entire first half! It would take years off my life if that happened to me, I took a cab.

getting out was much worse than getting in last year

SoonerShark
7/1/2010, 03:16 PM
Afternoon in Dallas at the fairgrounds is the best. Too bad TV slots don't allow games around 1:00 or 1:30 p.m. anymore. Some of the 11:00 a.m. games let me drive home and get there by early evening. I usually try to fly to Dallas now.

Flagstaffsooner
7/1/2010, 03:27 PM
According to Barry Tramel

And you believe that pile of ****?

Jacie
7/1/2010, 04:34 PM
Afternoon in Dallas at the fairgrounds is the best. Too bad TV slots don't allow games around 1:00 or 1:30 p.m. anymore. Some of the 11:00 a.m. games let me drive home and get there by early evening. I usually try to fly to Dallas now.

I grew up on those 1:30 starting times and thought it was so ingrained it was in the rules but the RRS was always later because of baseball playoffs. Starting at 2:30 is much better than 11:00 am.

As for playing it at night, that would not be a good thing, turning 75,000 innocents loose to find their way out of Fairpark after sundown. The closest OU/TX came to a night game I can remember was that 15-all tie. It looked like a night game at the end in a pouring rain with the lights on. It was dark enough that the zebra couldn't see what was happening . . .

TexasLidig8r
7/1/2010, 05:06 PM

As for playing it at night, that would not be a good thing, turning 75,000 innocents loose to find their way out of Fairpark after sundown. .

It's not so much that, but can you imagine the carnage that would come from being able to drink all day up to an 8 p.m kick off?

Their would be oxygen deprivation in the venerable old Cotton Bowl because of the alcohol fumes coming from the stands.

The fights in the stands and on the fairgrounds would be epic.

crabshack
7/2/2010, 08:55 AM
wow. ISU fans teeing off in their football preview of us!

http://widerightandnattylight.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/know-your-enemy-part-7-university-of-oklahoma/#more-1660

IronHorseSooner
7/2/2010, 09:21 AM
wow. ISU fans teeing off in their football preview of us!

http://widerightandnattylight.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/know-your-enemy-part-7-university-of-oklahoma/#more-1660

That was epic fail! You know if somebody who actually beat us once in a millennium did it, it would be somewhat okay. But, this is Iowa Freaking State! :eek:

yermom
7/2/2010, 01:37 PM
When they aren’t crying and writing terrible songs about putting boots up people’s asses, the good people of Oklahoma are busy putting their beer in the fridge, and waiting for it to get cold, because Oklahoma doesn’t sell cold beer.

:(

badger
7/2/2010, 02:07 PM
I will totally start up an anti-ISU (and everyone) thing as soon as the hottest poll is finished on the basketball forum (speaking of - go vote!)

That is, unless someone else wants to start something now and I'd be happy to contribute :D

goingoneight
7/2/2010, 03:39 PM
I wasn't aware that we never sell beer refrigerated. I wonder what's in those beer cases in QuikTrip's refrigerators?
Maybe it's swagger?

badger
7/2/2010, 03:54 PM
I wasn't aware that we never sell beer refrigerated. I wonder what's in those beer cases in QuikTrip's refrigerators?
Maybe it's swagger?

For any lurkers that have never been in God's country:

The "beer can't be refrigerated" only applies to 6-point beer. All other beer can be as cold as when hell freezes over when ISU wins the nat'l title in any legit sport with legit following.

O we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
And may her colors that we stole from Southern Cal ever fly.
Yes, we will fight with might for Iowa State,
Not to be confused with the school for Hawkeyes,
Rah! Rah! Rah!
Loyal sons forever true,
And we will fight the battle through.
Moo moo moo
Chew Chew
Senaca Walace! Ooooooooooo!
And when we hit that line we'll hit it hard (wtf is that supposed to mean - you know you have to break the goal's plane and not just touch the line, right?)
ev'ry yard for I.S.U.

btk108
7/2/2010, 04:43 PM
Iowa is an actual state? who knew?

silverwheels
7/2/2010, 05:02 PM
2:30 kickoffs rock. Not too early, but not at night so I don't have to wait all damn day.

CaliBornSoonerBred
7/2/2010, 05:23 PM
I'm just glad I get those extra hours to get nice and "marinated" so I don't have to start pre-gaming at 6:00am now!