PDA

View Full Version : Tuberville Skeptical About the Future of the Big 12/10

Sabanball
6/30/2010, 11:38 AM
Interesting, rather bold comments from Tommy Tuberville about your conference. Btw, his comments about Vandy and Florida are true. This kind of talk cannot help recruiting--think he will be reprimanded for it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5341756

KantoSooner
6/30/2010, 11:51 AM
Nah. We're accustomed to strange verbalizations coming out of Tech-land. And, before you gloat about off-loading Tubbie onto us, never forget that we gifted you one Lester. So far, we're ahead!

soonervegas
6/30/2010, 12:14 PM
I think anyone with half a brain knows this is a band-aid on a amputation....at best.

Leroy Lizard
6/30/2010, 12:25 PM
Interesting, rather bold comments from Tommy Tuberville about your conference. Btw, his comments about Vandy and Florida are true. This kind of talk cannot help recruiting--think he will be reprimanded for it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5341756

I don't see anything particularly eyebrow raising, now that the deal is done.

PalmBeachSooner
6/30/2010, 12:53 PM
The conference will probably be around longer then he will be. Also, I don't know that the payout setup is permanent. I was under the impression that the difference was the exit penalties that nebraska and colorado have to pay. We really won't know how much anyone is going to get until the new TV deal is worked out.

badger
6/30/2010, 12:57 PM
Hey Satanball...um, I mean Sabanball ;)

Would you agree that Tubs desperately wants to be in the SEC again and is just using Tech to gain his reputation as a premier coach back?

An A&M coach that you may remember was very desperate to be an Aggie to the point of getting his team involved in the yells and pregame/postgame stuff. He really, really wanted to be one of the 12th man.

I get the same vibe early-on from Tommy, that he doesn't want to be at Tech, and is probably kicking himself for not holding out for the Rocky Top job, which opened shortly after he signed his Tech contract (whoops!). These comments just seem to reaffirm that he wants to be elsewhere.

Soonermagik
6/30/2010, 12:57 PM
He's just mad, because he knows he's trying to compete with a lot less money. Let's face it, money builds facilities that attracts recruits. OU & Texas bring more money, so they should get more money.

OU has great tradition and facilities. Tech has neither, and will have a hard time getting good players because of it. Sorry, Tubberville.. no excuses.

rawlingsHOH
6/30/2010, 12:58 PM
The conference will probably be around longer then he will be. Also, I don't know that the payout setup is permanent. I was under the impression that the difference was the exit penalties that nebraska and colorado have to pay. We really won't know how much anyone is going to get until the new TV deal is worked out.

Agree.

rainiersooner
6/30/2010, 12:59 PM
Interestingly enough, just like his predecessor in Lubbock, the man says what other people won't. I agree with him.

Leroy Lizard
6/30/2010, 01:12 PM
He's just mad, because he knows he's trying to compete with a lot less money. Let's face it, money builds facilities that attracts recruits. OU & Texas bring more money, so they should get more money.

OU has great tradition and facilities. Tech has neither, and will have a hard time getting good players because of it. Sorry, Tubberville.. no excuses.

I read his comment differently. He is saying that the large disparity in talent between the teams will create a OU/UT and the little 8 syndrome, which will doom the conference.

He may be right.

How can a team like Iowa St. ever hope to have good facilities when it has little revenue? And if has poor facilities, it cannot attract good players, so the cycle continues.

badger
6/30/2010, 01:54 PM
Interestingly enough, just like his predecessor in Lubbock, the man says what other people won't. I agree with him.

Ah, but in this case, he basically said water is wet, as opposed to calling a female friend of a football player a "fat little girlfriend."

Of course the Big 12 won't last! We're already down to 11/10 next season and 10 the season after that. Ooo, Tommy be soooooo brave and outspoken because he said exactly what everyone already knew because it already happened!

;)

Let's not give Tubs too much credit... at least not till he gives a Lubbock weather report, dating advice or develops an obsession for pirates.

Eielson
6/30/2010, 02:54 PM
I think anyone with half a brain knows this is a band-aid on a amputation....at best.

It's not an amputation. It's more like a kidney transplant.

GottaHavePride
6/30/2010, 03:59 PM
If by kidney transplant you mean "woke up in a tub of ice with no kidneys" then yes.

The Big 12 is Charlie the Unicorn.

Sabanball
6/30/2010, 04:09 PM

^^This...

Sabanball
6/30/2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Satanball...um, I mean Sabanball ;)

Would you agree that Tubs desperately wants to be in the SEC again and is just using Tech to gain his reputation as a premier coach back?

An A&M coach that you may remember was very desperate to be an Aggie to the point of getting his team involved in the yells and pregame/postgame stuff. He really, really wanted to be one of the 12th man.

I get the same vibe early-on from Tommy, that he doesn't want to be at Tech, and is probably kicking himself for not holding out for the Rocky Top job, which opened shortly after he signed his Tech contract (whoops!). These comments just seem to reaffirm that he wants to be elsewhere.

Not necessarily. I think he got tired of the meat- grinder known as the SEC and wanted out. OTOH, I don't think TT was his first choice, or even in his top 3. I think he wanted a middle tier job(Clemson, Arkie, TAMU) but known of them had any openings and he simply took what was available.

badger
6/30/2010, 04:17 PM
I think he got tired of the meat- grinder known as the SEC and wanted out.

The SEC? No, no, you're apparently the sex conference.

Link (http://www.bringonthecats.com/2010/6/7/1506558/adventures-of-the-big-12-twelve)

Sorry if it's already been posted, but it was a fun, pre-fallout era read of you missed it.

As for Tommy and his 2004 championship wannabe arse, I wanna kick it... every year. Not necessarily because of Tommy, but because of Mikey.

diegosooner
6/30/2010, 05:04 PM
I'm skeptical too - I don't think anyone is sure about the long term.

Eielson
6/30/2010, 05:25 PM
If by kidney transplant you mean "woke up in a tub of ice with no kidneys" then yes.

The Big 12 is Charlie the Unicorn.

No, by kidney transplant I meant we lost something we didn't have to have, and can function fine without.

agoo758
6/30/2010, 06:17 PM
As far as I"m concerned, Tuberville is as much of an employee of the big 12 as someone who works directly in the Irving office. To make matters worse, hes the new guy. If anyone at my place of business starting talking about how my boss was incapable of running his business, especially if that someone is a new worker, he would be fired in an instant. Why must we tolerate this loud mouth?

humblesooner
6/30/2010, 06:24 PM
This is just posturing for a bigger slice of the pie someday.
You may not ever get a bigger slice, but if you don't ask, you probably never will.
And he is correct in my opinion. It is not healthy for 7-8 teams to know that not only are they at a disadvantage from a popularity standpoint (merch sales, ticket sales, etc) they are also going to get shorted on the confernece payouts.
This conference will not survive as it is beyond the next round of TV negotiations. The B12 may survive, but it will be with the addition of at least 2 and maybe 6 more teams.

Leroy Lizard
6/30/2010, 06:39 PM
As far as I"m concerned, Tuberville is as much of an employee of the big 12 as someone who works directly in the Irving office. To make matters worse, hes the new guy. If anyone at my place of business starting talking about how my boss was incapable of running his business...

But he didn't do that.

Mr. Nuke
6/30/2010, 07:01 PM
And he is correct in my opinion. It is not healthy for 7-8 teams to know that not only are they at a disadvantage from a popularity standpoint (merch sales, ticket sales, etc) they are also going to get shorted on the confernece payouts.
This conference will not survive as it is beyond the next round of TV negotiations. The B12 may survive, but it will be with the addition of at least 2 and maybe 6 more teams.
I agree with the general sentiment that the Big 12-2 isn't set up to succeed in the long-term. That being said though, what are those other "7-8 teams" going to do? Schools like Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Kansas, Missouri*, Iowa State, Oklahoma State have no realistic shot of getting invited to a major conference on their own unless they are part of a package with OU or Texas. It is a less than ideal situation for those other 7 schools, but in most cases the alternative is far worse.

*Missouri still could ultimately end up getting invited to the Big Ten at some point, but I'd say they aren't high on the priority list right now.

Stitch Face
6/30/2010, 07:26 PM
No, by kidney transplant I meant we lost something we didn't have to have, and can function fine without.

I personally like the peace of mind of having two kidneys...

Scott D
6/30/2010, 07:28 PM
I find nothing wrong with what he said. The Big-12 having a stable situation with promised money that nobody really knows if Beebe can actually deliver is nothing more than addressing the situation for the present. Who knows, in 2015 when the deal is coming up to conclusion, there may not be that money, or everyone not named Texas, Oklahoma, and aTm may finally decide that it's not quite fair for Texas to be taking such a big slice of the pie, especially if one of them can manage to beat Texas with any sort of consistency.

The only thing that has been made clear to me so far is that OU has the ability to lean on aTm, and that OU won't go anywhere that has no intention of inviting little brother. For all we know, the Big-12 could be set to go to being Texas and the little 6 if the SEC had been willing to send an invite to little brother.

Soonermagik
6/30/2010, 07:38 PM
I don't see anything particularly eyebrow raising, now that the deal is done.

To be honest, I never even opened the link. I still haven't.;)

I read an article someone else sent me today where he said Florida and Vanderbilt get the same amount of money and everyone was good with it. Now, to me, that sounds like he's hinting that Tech isn't getting their fair share.

Tech is lucky to get what they are getting. I'm sure he thought he hit the jackpot with the PAC-10 deal, but when that went south... his hopes were dashed.

Jacie
6/30/2010, 08:58 PM
From the article:

In an interview Tuesday on Rivals Radio, Tuberville said that he didn't think the new Big 12 would have staying power.

"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King.

Well Tommy, I guess the question is, which will last longer, the Big XII or your stay in Lubbock?

Leroyt
6/30/2010, 09:37 PM
Mr. nuke is on the money. cu and neb left because they had tv sets and rep respectively. Nobody outside of Texas, OU, and aggy have either of those things, which means no options. The Big 12-2 is clearly not long for this world, but not for the reasons the tubbster gives.

Eielson
6/30/2010, 09:57 PM
I personally like the peace of mind of having two kidneys...

Are you really going to do this?

rawlingsHOH
6/30/2010, 10:39 PM
Mr. nuke is on the money. cu and neb left because they had tv sets and rep respectively. Nobody outside of Texas, OU, and aggy have either of those things, which means no options. The Big 12-2 is clearly not long for this world, but not for the reasons the tubbster gives.

CU left because the Pac 10 thought they were getting 5 other teams with them. That will be just another team that needs to be subsidized by the conference.

Leroyt
6/30/2010, 11:56 PM
CU left because the Pac 10 thought they were getting 5 other teams with them. That will be just another team that needs to be subsidized by the conference.

I can accept that there is stupidity in the pac-10 offices, but if they were expecting 6 teams, they wouldn't have taken only cu. No way, no how.

Leroy Lizard
7/1/2010, 12:54 AM
To be honest, I never even opened the link. I still haven't.;)

I read an article someone else sent me today where he said Florida and Vanderbilt get the same amount of money and everyone was good with it. Now, to me, that sounds like he's hinting that Tech isn't getting their fair share.

Tech is lucky to get what they are getting.

Based on....?

Soonermagik
7/1/2010, 08:37 AM
Based on....?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AuJsJQomcD7RXLm9aLVo6kYcvrYF?slug=td-tuberville062910

I don’t think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams,” Tuberville told host Bill King. “In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes.

You didn't believe me?

Bourbon St Sooner
7/1/2010, 09:06 AM
I read his comment differently. He is saying that the large disparity in talent between the teams will create a OU/UT and the little 8 syndrome, which will doom the conference.

He may be right.

How can a team like Iowa St. ever hope to have good facilities when it has little revenue? And if has poor facilities, it cannot attract good players, so the cycle continues.

So is that equal revenue distribution helping Vandy compete in the SEC? How about Northwestern in the Big 10? How are Boise State's facilities compared to Ia State?

badger
7/1/2010, 09:11 AM
I can accept that there is stupidity in the pac-10 offices, but if they were expecting 6 teams, they wouldn't have taken only cu. No way, no how.

haha... i guess technically they didn't only take cu, now did they?
http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090219-utes2-hmed-10a.hmedium.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
7/1/2010, 09:11 AM

They took CU early because Baylor was manuevering to get in instead of CU and the P10 didn't want the Baptists. I still say if the P10 knew OU and TX weren't coming, there's no way CU gets an invite.

Scott D
7/2/2010, 11:43 AM
I don't know Bourbon, CU and the Pac-10 had been flirting with each other for quite some time, but were never serious about it until the cracks started showing in the Big-12. I'm still going to find it funny when the Big-12 finally does go the way of the SWC, and Missouri is still sitting there without a dance partner.

HuskerfaninOkieland
7/3/2010, 09:15 AM
Apparently Bebee got his feelings hurt

New Texas Tech head football coach Tommy Tuberville is expected to receive a public reprimand from Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe for making recent comments that the newly configured conference might not last for very long, a school official told the American-Statesman Friday.

Beebe became very upset over remarks that Tuberville made to a radio station earlier this week and told school officials that he planned to reprimand the football coach.

Over the radio, Tuberville stated, “I just don’t think this conference will last long because there’s just too much disparity between all the teams here.”

The new head coach suggested that the remaining Big 12 teams are not as unified as projected after the expansion loss of Colorado and Nebraska.

Link (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2010/07/02/tuberville_to_b.html?cxntfid=blogs_bohl_games)

How DARE Tuberville have an opinion

Stitch Face
7/3/2010, 09:53 AM
Are you really going to do this?

Am I really going to say I prefer two kidneys to one?

Kidneys aren't like appendices or little toes. Having only one with no "backup" puts you at greater risk for total kidney failure due to dehydration, certain medications, etc. You may do fine indefinitely with one, but it definitely can decrease your longevity.

So in retrospect, maybe losing a kidney is a perfect analogy for this conference.

GimmeRed
7/3/2010, 09:57 AM
I found this interesting.
In his statement, Beebe indicated that he went easy on Tuberville for expressing his doubts about the league’s prospects for longevity. The commissioner also issued somewhat of a warning.

“In deciding to reprimand Coach Tuberville, I took into account that this is a first-time offense and that he has committed to adhere to the rules and contribute to strengthen the conference,” Beebe said. “If not for these factors, a more significant penalty would be assessed, and will be if there are any future violations.”

http://www.redraiders.com/2010/07/02/big-12-reprimands-tech-coach-tuberville-for-critical-comments/

Scott D
7/3/2010, 11:11 AM
Hah, best way to strengthen the conference is to have a Commissioner that didn't go to Rice and isn't beholden to ask 'how high?' when Texas demands he jumps.

Leroy Lizard
7/3/2010, 01:36 PM
I found this interesting.
In his statement, Beebe indicated that he went easy on Tuberville for expressing his doubts about the league’s prospects for longevity. The commissioner also issued somewhat of a warning.

“In deciding to reprimand Coach Tuberville, I took into account that this is a first-time offense and that he has committed to adhere to the rules and contribute to strengthen the conference,” Beebe said. “If not for these factors, a more significant penalty would be assessed, and will be if there are any future violations.”

http://www.redraiders.com/2010/07/02/big-12-reprimands-tech-coach-tuberville-for-critical-comments/

Sounds patronizing as Hell.

NatureBoy
7/3/2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds patronizing as Hell.

Beebe is absolutely clueless. He is extremely unfit for his position, and I think he should take a good amount of blame for the Big12's current situation.

bluedogok
7/3/2010, 07:58 PM
Beebe is absolutely clueless. He is extremely unfit for his position, and I think he should take a good amount of blame for the Big12's current situation.
He's the Bud Selig of the Big 12-2=10....

MLB owners wanted a weak commissioner and got it when they placed a fellow owner in the position. Texas wanted a weak commissioner so they hired someone whose skills were not up to snuff, The Peter Principle in action which was the desired result.

sooneron
7/4/2010, 12:16 AM
The real question is, how will Tommy do without any of that SEC speed?

Leroy Lizard
7/4/2010, 12:52 AM
The real question is, how will Tommy do without any of that SEC speed?

Well, his team is mostly going up against the sloth-like Big XII so I guess it all evens out.