PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops on Sports Talk Radio in Alabama Today...

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 08:25 PM
... Pretty good stuff. He was interviewed by Paul Finebaum out of Birmingham today after an interview with Brian Kelly of Notre Dame. Thought some of you might like to hear it...

http://www.finebaum.com/media/archives/show/20100629_PFRN_Hour1.mp3

Collier11
6/29/2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks, ill take a listen

Collier11
6/29/2010, 08:30 PM
NM, the link didnt work for me, just gave me a red x

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 08:37 PM
NM, the link didnt work for me, just gave me a red x

You can go to www.finebaum.com also, the link is there. I'm listening to it now so I know it works. Great, great interview.

goingoneight
6/29/2010, 08:39 PM
What did he talk about? Did he interview in a great way?

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2010, 08:39 PM
Stoops should have mentioned that Gene Marsh was out at OU last August giving a talk on compliance so Finebaum could crap his pants.

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 08:45 PM
Stoops should have mentioned that Gene Marsh was out at OU last August giving a talk on compliance so Finebaum could crap his pants.

Gene Marsh giving a talk on NCAA compliance--now that's an oxymoron.

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 08:46 PM

He did great. Finebaum was very respectful and pretty much only threw softballs, but it was still good. Talked a lot about his visits to Tuscaloosa last year and how he wanted to look at our facilities and see our bowl prep.

Frozen Sooner
6/29/2010, 09:17 PM
Gene Marsh giving a talk on NCAA compliance--now that's an oxymoron.

Guy did chair the NCAA compliance and infractions committees. Just sayin'.

o0Dan0o
6/29/2010, 09:36 PM
The radio host at some point refers to Howard Schnellenberger, saying something to the extent of "can you imagine if Schnellenberger had stayed at Miami, how many games he would have won"

There's a reason he's coaching at FAU...

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 09:53 PM
Guy did chair the NCAA compliance and infractions committees. Just sayin'.

Fact--Gene Marsh was on staff at Alabama in compliance when we were going through the Albert Means debacle. Need I say more? I know that was before your time in Ttown, FS, but that is the case.

Sabanball
6/29/2010, 09:55 PM
The radio host at some point refers to Howard that old drunk, saying something to the extent of "can you imagine if that old drunk had stayed at Miami, how many games he would have won"

I know you guys have some hard feelings toward Schnelly, and for good reason because of what occurred while he was in Norman, ...But...there is no doubt that he is responsible for the Miami juggernaut that won 5 NC's more than anyone else. Jimmy Johnson won big with Howard's recruits and the foundation that he left after rebuilding the program from scratch...That's one reason I ve always thought JJ was overrated as a coach....

GKeeper316
6/30/2010, 12:20 AM
The radio host at some point refers to Howard that old drunk, saying something to the extent of "can you imagine if that old drunk had stayed at Miami, how many games he would have won"

ya because he thought the usfl was gonna give him a franchise... if that had never happened hed have stayed at the u and won about a dozen more national championships. give credit where its due. he sucked at OU but back in the day he was the **** at miami.

stoopified
6/30/2010, 06:32 AM
ya because he thought the usfl was gonna give him a franchise... if that had never happened hed have stayed at the u and won about a dozen more national championships. give credit where its due. he sucked at OU but back in the day he was the **** at miami.You SHOULD put down the crackpipe while typing.If Smellsofbourbon is ALL THAT,why was he NEVER able to duplicate his Miami triumph?

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2010, 08:31 AM
Fact--Gene Marsh was on staff at Alabama in compliance when we were going through the Albert Means debacle. Need I say more? I know that was before your time in Ttown, FS, but that is the case.

Fact:

He draws a paycheck from the University of Alabama right now. If you want I can stop by his office later today and say "Hi" for you.

Yeah, I know he was around during the Albert Means stuff. Wasn't he the one who advised the University to do the right thing and come clean?

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2010, 08:33 AM
You SHOULD put down the crackpipe while typing.If Smellsofbourbon is ALL THAT,why was he NEVER able to duplicate his Miami triumph?

Because he was. He took Louisville to a 10-1-1 season, which at the time was incredible. The Cardinals sucked rocks before he got there. His overall record at Louisville is nothing to write home about, but he took that place from a perennially awful sub.-500 team to a team that consistently (and still does) made bowl games.

Mississippi Sooner
6/30/2010, 09:22 AM
Because he was. He took Louisville to a 10-1-1 season, which at the time was incredible. The Cardinals sucked rocks before he got there. His overall record at Louisville is nothing to write home about, but he took that place from a perennially awful sub.-500 team to a team that consistently (and still does) made bowl games.

I think Howard is a very good coach when he goes into a program that doesn't have a winning tradition or, in the case of Florida Atlantic, no tradition at all. He peed in his own bed when he came in and said he was going to make over the Sooner tradition. That single act showed that, for as great as he is as a coach, he may be a moron away from the field.

He could have possibly built a winner at OU, but no one was going to give him a chance after he said to forget all about Wilkinson and Switzer. Especially after the debacle in the Colorado game.

KantoSooner
6/30/2010, 09:57 AM
Howard got it backwards.

It's 'Win first, then talk.'

boomersooner28
6/30/2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the link.

Finebaum may be popular in the southeast, but geez, that guy could put me to sleep.

Mississippi Sooner
6/30/2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the link.

Finebaum may be popular in the southeast, but geez, that guy could put me to sleep.

He is a snoozefest for sure. What makes the show worthwhile is listening to some of the callers, especially those from the Auburn area. It's almost like a parody of a southern talk radio station.

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2010, 10:44 AM
True on that MS.

A caller made a great point yesterday: he was really happy about Finebaum getting on XM because he'd be able to hear him in Ohio. Then he realized everyone else in Ohio would be able to hear the callers from Alabama.

MiccoMacey
6/30/2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the link...sounded good.

Sabanball
6/30/2010, 11:21 AM
Fact:

He draws a paycheck from the University of Alabama right now. If you want I can stop by his office later today and say "Hi" for you.

Yeah, I know he was around during the Albert Means stuff. Wasn't he the one who advised the University to do the right thing and come clean?

That's what he would like for everyone to think. Most people think he was more concerned with his personal career and standing with the NCAA and Infractions committee at the time than trying to help negotiate fair penalties for what really happened. Also, there's long been speculation that he or Marie Robbins could have been the 'secret witness'--that, of course, has never been proven to my knowledge. Either way, most Bama fans would have liked to see him gone a long time ago.

Sabanball
6/30/2010, 11:27 AM
True on that MS.

A caller made a great point yesterday: he was really happy about Finebaum getting on XM because he'd be able to hear him in Ohio. Then he realized everyone else in Ohio would be able to hear the callers from Alabama.

Lol....yea, just listening to Tammy call in probably does wonders for the state's national image.;)

delhalew
6/30/2010, 01:03 PM
I can't fathom why, but Finebaum went national on SiriusXM. Thus, I got to listen yesterday. Very good interview. Thanks for posting it SB.

DarrellZero
6/30/2010, 01:32 PM
That's what he would like for everyone to think. Most people think he was more concerned with his personal career and standing with the NCAA and Infractions committee at the time than trying to help negotiate fair penalties for what really happened.

Sounds like Bama's version of David Swank.

Opinions are very polarized about him around here.

Frozen Sooner
6/30/2010, 01:41 PM
That's what he would like for everyone to think. Most people think he was more concerned with his personal career and standing with the NCAA and Infractions committee at the time than trying to help negotiate fair penalties for what really happened. Also, there's long been speculation that he or Marie Robbins could have been the 'secret witness'--that, of course, has never been proven to my knowledge. Either way, most Bama fans would have liked to see him gone a long time ago.

Most people don't understand why a person employed by the University of Alabama who also sits on the Infractions Committee has to recuse himself when the Infractions Committee is sitting in judgment on Alabama, thus really can't negotiate a "fair" penalty for buying a player like a prize steer.

KantoSooner
6/30/2010, 03:07 PM
Sounds like Bama's version of David Swank.

Opinions are very polarized about him around here.

If, by 'polarized' you mean 'want to tar and feather him and then light him on fire as he's ridden out of town on a rail' you'd be absolutely correct.

o0Dan0o
6/30/2010, 09:35 PM
I know you guys have some hard feelings toward Schnelly, and for good reason because of what occurred while he was in Norman, ...But...there is no doubt that he is responsible for the Miami juggernaut that won 5 NC's more than anyone else. Jimmy Johnson won big with Howard's recruits and the foundation that he left after rebuilding the program from scratch...That's one reason I ve always thought JJ was overrated as a coach....

Johnson's NC was four years after Schnellwhatever left the U. I'll give you that Schnellenbitch turned their program around, they were nothing before him and he got an NC with them. But Giving him credit for what 3 other coaches did (and the third is Butch Davis, Coker was only the coach at the time and ruined what Schnellasshat helped create) is going way too far.
Dan

OU-HSV
6/30/2010, 09:49 PM

In the end he did...in a great way...in the end

OU-HSV
6/30/2010, 09:56 PM
I like the caller around the 18 minute mark, he was funny

Sabanball
7/1/2010, 07:53 PM
Johnson's NC was four years after Schnellwhatever left the U. I'll give you that Schnellenbitch turned their program around, they were nothing before him and he got an NC with them. But Giving him credit for what 3 other coaches did (and the third is Butch Davis, Coker was only the coach at the time and ruined what Schnellasshat helped create) is going way too far.
Dan

Jimmy Johnson was an average coach at Okie St and was the beneficiary of what Schnellenb**ger left him at Miami. Same could be said of Dennis Erickson. You may not like it for reasons related to his time in Norman, but Schnelly had MORE to do with Miami's success in the last 25 yrs than any other single coach or group of coaches that were in Coral Gables, and that's coming from somebody that was vehemently against Alabama flirting with him after Ray Perkins left us in 1986. Gotta give credit where credit is due, but I wanted him NOWHERE near Tuscaloosa again( He was an asst coach with us in the early Bryant yrs)

Sabanball
7/1/2010, 08:02 PM
BTW, not trying to plug the radio program, but this show had a great interview with Iowa hc Kirk Ferentz today. For those of you who are hardcore college football fans year round like me, I love to listen to stuff like this.
http://www.finebaum.com/media/archives/show/20100701_PFRN_Hour3.mp3

MiccoMacey
7/2/2010, 09:20 AM
If, by 'polarized' you mean 'want to tar and feather him and then light him on fire as he's ridden out of town on a rail' you'd be absolutely correct.

I know I'll get negged...

But we'll agree to disagree on this one. David Swank, regardles of whether you liked how he handled the Switzer issue, is a super good guy. I can recount many examples where he went overboard to be nice to me and my family.

o0Dan0o
7/6/2010, 02:49 AM
Jimmy Johnson was an average coach at Okie St and was the beneficiary of what Schnellenb**ger left him at Miami. Same could be said of Dennis Erickson. You may not like it for reasons related to his time in Norman, but Schnelly had MORE to do with Miami's success in the last 25 yrs than any other single coach or group of coaches that were in Coral Gables, and that's coming from somebody that was vehemently against Alabama flirting with him after Ray Perkins left us in 1986. Gotta give credit where credit is due, but I wanted him NOWHERE near Tuscaloosa again( He was an asst coach with us in the early Bryant yrs)

Johnson gave Okie-lite 3 0.50+ seasons in 5 years, compared to 10 in the previous 29 years (3/5 > 1/3). He's not a miracle worker, but he's a solid coach. He won his NC with mostly his own recruits (5th season at the U), so he recruited them and coached them. I'm sure his assistants had loads to do with the NC, and Schnelly's time helped to raise the U's prestige, but that in no way gives him the right to wear another ring. I've seen coaches (not bad ones either) come in and destroy a program that was recently very great, several in the not-long-for-this-world Big 12...

Schnelly did a lot for the U, I'll give you that, but the coaches that won the other 4 NC's that the U has wear the rings, not a drunk that only ever succeeded once... (no, I don't count his time in the Sunbelt... Though maybe the turnaround at Louisville).
Dan

jthomas666
7/6/2010, 12:17 PM
Fact--Gene Marsh was on staff at Alabama in compliance when we were going through the Albert Means debacle. Need I say more? I know that was before your time in Ttown, FS, but that is the case.Basically, Marsh put his NCAA ambition ahead of his university.

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2010, 01:13 PM
Basically, Marsh put his NCAA ambition ahead of his university.

That's odd, considering he still works at the University.