PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Stars just screwed Mike Modano...

SoonerStormchaser
6/29/2010, 07:48 PM
...they're not offering him a new contract, making him a UFA on July 1st. Way to show the door to the face of your franchise for the past 20 years. If Detroit had done this to Stevie Y, the Joe would be burning to the ground right now.

The silence at the AAC next season will be deafening with the awesome suckitude coming from the ice...

tulsaoilerfan
6/29/2010, 08:53 PM
I'm sure he's going to retire anyway, so why bother?

Breadburner
6/30/2010, 08:12 AM
Who cares the Stars suck.....

ouleaf
6/30/2010, 08:36 AM
I hope he retires, but if he doesn't I wish him all the best. Sort of the same thing with Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys.

The Stars put together a good, "Thank You, Modano", presentation at the end of last season, which was probably the first sign that he wouldn't be back as a Star next season.

Mike had unfortunately been relegated to competing for time on the 4th line, which really doesn't suit his skill set and never has. A 4th line center needs to be high-energy, all over the ice, and frustrating the opponent to no end. That just isn't Mikey's game. Aside from making some appearances in the Power Play lines, he just isn't the same hockey player he was even 5 years ago, when he had a respectable 77 points.

He is the reason that Hockey has remained popular in the Texas. But the Stars have missed the playoffs the past 2 years, and keeping Mike on, doesn't make them a playoff team. Plus the ownership issue being in flux doesn't help either.

It's up to Mike at this point. At this point I'd say the only teams that would take a flyer on him would be teams that hope his prescence at about 8-10 minutes a night would boost ticket sales. Then it might be worth the 1-2 million to sign him for a season.

Scott D
6/30/2010, 12:37 PM
*sigh* SSC, they are two very different situations. Steve retired because of the fact that he was playing on an artificial knee. Hell, it's taking some getting used to that he's the GM in Tampa now.

And fwiw, the Joe would have been burned to the ground back in the mid 90s when it was rumored that Scotty Bowman was considering trading him to the Ottawa Senators for either Yashin or Daigle, I don't remember which.

GrapevineSooner
7/6/2010, 11:46 PM
I don't doubt the possibility that Nieuwendyk was already leaning towards turning the page before the end of last season. But Modano kind of forced his hand when he announced a few weeks ago that it didn't appear he would be in their plans.

And like ouleaf said, the Stars missed the playoffs the last two seasons with a healthy Mike Modano. I'd like to think that if he had been able to push them into the playoffs after the Olympic Break, he'd be returning.

As it is, it makes far more sense to give Modano's minutes to other players like Tom Wandell and Jamie Benn.

And BTW, I seem to be the only fan in Dallas who doesn't have the problem with the prospect that Modano could be skating in Detroit with a winged wheel on his chest next season.

ouleaf
7/7/2010, 08:41 AM
And BTW, I seem to be the only fan in Dallas who doesn't have the problem with the prospect that Modano could be skating in Detroit with a winged wheel on his chest next season.

Yes, you are the only Dallas fan that doesn't mind that.....it makes sense though, the guy is from Michigan originally and grew up right in the Red Wings back yard practically.

Scott D
7/7/2010, 12:03 PM
I don't doubt the possibility that Nieuwendyk was already leaning towards turning the page before the end of last season. But Modano kind of forced his hand when he announced a few weeks ago that it didn't appear he would be in their plans.

And like ouleaf said, the Stars missed the playoffs the last two seasons with a healthy Mike Modano. I'd like to think that if he had been able to push them into the playoffs after the Olympic Break, he'd be returning.

As it is, it makes far more sense to give Modano's minutes to other players like Tom Wandell and Jamie Benn.

It's countered by the fact that I'm one of many fans in Detroit who doesn't have a problem with Versteeg and Byfuglien being moved to the Eastern Conference next season. :D