PDA

View Full Version : Final 4: Hottest of OU womens bball

badger
6/27/2010, 10:13 AM
About a month in, and we're down to four.
http://i49.tinypic.com/5oz3gw.jpg

Whitney Hand
http://i49.tinypic.com/2zdzm8h.jpg
It seems like Whitney is smiling (or grimacing, as was the case last week) every picture I find, so I sought out a serious face for a serious topic that needs to be silenced once and for all:

Whitney never never told Landry that he looked ugly in it. She even participated in the fun of it all, wearing an "I date the 'Stache" shirt to a football game while the rest of us were telling opponents to "Fear the Stache."

But... did she hate it?

"I really did," Whitney said in an interview before the KU football game last season. "I just (pause) wasn’t a fan of it. But, I don’t know. It’s fine.

"I think it’s great that the students have embraced him so much in that. I think it’s fun. It’s kind of taken the pressure off a little bit. I think it’s a good thing."

It was laziness that started the stache craze... that and an unexpected amount of TV time at the BYU game, Whitney said.

"He’s an outrageous dresser. Why couldn’t one of his jackets with fur have caught on or something? (laughs) But I guess it definitely could be worse, so I’m OK with it."

Sherri Coale
http://i49.tinypic.com/2ywy8ed.jpg
I think you've heard every single Sherri story there is to be told, so I decided to find the oldest picture of Sherri on a Sooner sideline that I could. Looks like something outta Saved by the Bell or Full House, eh?

It is really amazing to think about how long Sherri's been at OU. Ever since 1996, when she got a big raise to go from being a Norman High teacher and coach to lead the Sooner program outta the dumpster, she has gone from a 5-win season (96-97) to a 5-loss season (08-09). Actually, several five-loss seasons (05-06, 06-07) and even a 4-loss season (01-02).

If you've caught any of our recent postseason runs, I think you've all seen how emotional Sherri can be. Officials said that she used to cry after repeated losses (her first three seasons had 55 of 'em). However, there's one story of tears of joy that I don't think I've mentioned before that I'd like to share.

In addition to being emotional, you'll never see Sherri underappreciate the fans, most likely because there haven't always been thousands strong in attendance. Sherri brought winning seasons back to OU by her third year, but the fans had yet to show up. So, an associate athletic director decided to give her a Christmas present one late 90s December, spreading the word that everyone absolutely needed to show up to LNC for Sherri and her team.

It was said that the moment Sherri looked at the stands, nearly full for the first time in her Sooner coaching career, cheering as the team took the court, her eyes started to tear up.

To this day, you'll hardly see any games where she doesn't wave to the crowd and mouth "Thank you" to those in attendance.

Krista Sanchez
http://i48.tinypic.com/2sams92.jpg
Before the Springdale Mafia tried to take over Arkansas' football program, they honored Sanchez by making her the first high school athlete (male or female) to have his or her jersey retired as a senior.

Alas, after her accolades in high school, she only started two games her entire OU career, including the mandatory Senior Night start her final year.

So... why did the crowd make so much noise every time she stepped on the court - an average time of only about 5 minutes per game her final season?

Some might say that it's the reason she's in this poll. But let's be honest - how can you not cheer loudly when players that have supported their teammates the entire game get their own moment to shine?

Alas, Krista did not get many moments on the court, and she also holds the distinction of being the only player/coach this round to not experience a Final Four as a player/coach. Her 2004-2007 career put her just after the first, just before the next.

But we still love her as a Sooner, dedicated to the program despite few stats on the record books... even if she's from the same school as Mitch Mustain :)

Stacey Dales
http://i48.tinypic.com/29qkqcw.gif
Oklahoma's been to three Final Fours now, has become a Big 12 championship regular and a threat to any team in the postseason... even almighty UConn.

It's done it with only four first-team All-Americans in it's entire history, and Stacey Dales is one of them. Courtney Paris later joined Stacey as the only consensus first-team All-Americans in Sooner history, something Stacey did twice.

We all love Sherri, yes, but it took a player like Stacey Dales to get OU to its first Final Four and be able to continue recruiting the players to make OU a future title contender. It still amazes me how Sherri could have found Stacey and got her to come to Oklahoma... the opportunity to build a program without the nonstop title tradition that the UConns, Tennessees and (arrrrgh) Stanford have was exactly what brought her so far south of the border.

"For a girl from Canada, I sure thought that way," Dales said. "I saw the opportunity, I saw the Big 12 Conference, I saw Sherri Coale and her vision, I saw the chance to go in and play immediately and have an impact, and I saw a style that fit my style – fastbreak, run-and-gun.

"And all those things combined and meshed together and said let’s go to Oklahoma and see what we can do with it. And it turned out to be probably the greatest decision I’ve made in my basketball career."

It was a shame that her brilliant career couldn't end with a title. It's also a shame that ESPN couldn't afford to give her good plane tickets to keep her on college football sidelines.

Voting time!
You can vote for all four, you can vote for just one (and if you're a prick that thinks that the choice "none" should be available, then you can just redirect yourself to OrangePower.com).

The top two will move on to the final, final, FINAL round of this 'hottest' poll (sorry, but this is a lot of work and unless the demands are never-ending, this will be the only one of these that I ever do). So, I recommend voting for your favorite two.

I will post pics from previous rounds and makeshift bracket shortly. Voting will last seven days.

badger
6/27/2010, 10:18 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/6jg3z4.jpg

Previous round pics:
http://i48.tinypic.com/294krqo.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/okzq15.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/bi5nqb.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2m4awrp.jpg

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/28/2010, 12:36 AM
1)Higgins
2) Dales
3)tie:Sanchez and Coale

bmjlr
6/28/2010, 09:12 AM
SANCHEZ!!! Then Coale.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/28/2010, 09:31 AM
1. SANCHEZ
2. Whitney

Yea yea, I know everyone here loves Coach C but I can't put her above Krista and Whitney.

badger
6/28/2010, 10:54 AM
Looking back, this debate probably could have been ended in one round... alas, I left some notable names off so I had to find a way to include them, and it became a weird bracket.

But hey, at least the debate will be settled once and for all... till Sherri recruits another Stacey, Krista or Whitney :)

Hope you've all had fun. I certainly wasn't expecting the conference realignment discussion to blow up this offseason

Boomer.....
6/28/2010, 11:40 AM
1) Sanchez
2) Coale
3a) Hand
3b) Dales

Eielson
6/28/2010, 11:49 AM
Has anybody under the age of 30 voted for Coale? I just don't see how she is even in the running to be honest. Sure, she's one of the best looking well-known coaches, but I just don't see how she can compete with the younger players.

Boomer.....
6/28/2010, 11:52 AM
Badg used a horrible pic of her too.

6/28/2010, 11:57 AM
Higgins was Bibled!

badger
6/28/2010, 12:54 PM
Badg used a horrible pic of her too.

Dude! I posted ALL of the pics from previous rounds as well in the second post - the one with the weird bracket!

I just posted never-before-posted pics with the first post! Sherri's pic might be from the mid 90s (around the time she had her daughter, methinks -- she was pregnant with her when she applied for the OU job) so is it a horrible pic? No, it's an early pic and one that I bet most of you haven't seen.

So anyway, if you need a more recent pic of Sherri to judge, then there's six of 'em in my second post. :P

Has anybody under the age of 30 voted for Coale? I just don't see how she is even in the running to be honest. Sure, she's one of the best looking well-known coaches, but I just don't see how she can compete with the younger players.

She's in the running because you all overwhelmingly voted for her and Hand in Round 2. She was also among the top vote receivers in the first round. It's your votes. The fact that she has to compete with Whitney, Krista and Stacey this round? Well, it is the Final Four. :D

Mad Dog Madsen
6/29/2010, 08:32 AM
WHAT?!? No Erin Higgins?!? :mad: I'm not voting...

badger
6/29/2010, 08:35 AM
WHAT?!? No Erin Higgins?!? :mad: I'm not voting...

As with the other rounds, voting is anonymous, so Erin will never know if you voted for another Sooner or not :)

MiccoMacey
6/29/2010, 10:24 AM
Sanchez, hands down.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/29/2010, 12:32 PM
Sanchez may be the hottest if I lined them up, but Stacey D led us to our first final 4 (and should have been our first title if that uconn team had been in the wnba where it belonged). Therefore the hotness factor for Stacey goes way up.

Eielson
6/29/2010, 02:10 PM
She's in the running because you all overwhelmingly voted for her and Hand in Round 2. She was also among the top vote receivers in the first round. It's your votes. The fact that she has to compete with Whitney, Krista and Stacey this round? Well, it is the Final Four. :D

I know. I just wondered if it was the older people voting for her. Anyway, since saying this she has dropped form 2nd to last.

badger
6/29/2010, 03:48 PM
I know. I just wondered if it was the older people voting for her. Anyway, since saying this she has dropped form 2nd to last.

Meh, don't read too much into that. A few votes this way or that can happen in minutes, depending on which thread I post on (since my sig is set to promote this poll).

That said, the battle to get the second spot in the grand finale is tight.

Alas, if any of you all are considering going to autograph sessions, or the Sooner Caravan to meet Coach Coale, do it. No amount of television time or photo, whether from the mid 90s or the mid aughts, do any of em justice.

NormanPride
6/30/2010, 01:47 PM
I voted for Coach Coale. Again, those that bedowngrade her attractivicocity haven't seen her jogging in the mornings.

diegosooner
6/30/2010, 05:12 PM
Coale. She's got the vibes and the class.

6/30/2010, 08:54 PM
I voted for Coach Coale. Again, those that bedowngrade her attractivicocity haven't seen her jogging in the mornings.You've been attending Bushtalk classes?

badger
7/1/2010, 09:16 AM
Oh man... final four upset potential - Stacey has more votes than Whitney in Round One only to lose to her in the Final Four??? Was it the Superman pic I posted last round?
http://i50.tinypic.com/xcqd6b.jpg

Boomer.....
7/1/2010, 09:25 AM
That was a good picture of her.

hawaii 5-0
7/1/2010, 09:31 AM
Write In for Erin Higgins.

7/1/2010, 09:39 AM
Write In for Erin Higgins.Badger, you Bibled Higgins!

badger
7/1/2010, 10:28 AM
You boys had your chance to vote for Erin Higgins! You totally could have made up some troll accounts to get her more votes, but you didn't, so she got ousted in round 2!

webfoot
7/1/2010, 09:13 PM
I voted for Coach Coale. Again, those that bedowngrade her attractivicocity haven't seen her jogging in the mornings.

During a timeout last year she bounced a clipboard off the floor that came through the huddle, went under the bench and ended up hitting me in the foot. I still haven't washed that shoe.

7/2/2010, 12:40 AM
During a timeout last year she bounced a clipboard off the floor that came through the huddle, went under the bench and ended up hitting me in the foot. I still haven't washed that shoe.Hear that, Sherri?:eek: :hot:

badger
7/2/2010, 11:37 AM
I must say that I am surprised at the results thus far, as we're looking at a Whitney/Krista finale. Usually when you talk about hot Sooner basketball women, it's all Stacey and Sherri, but hey, maybe that's just cuz a lot of you aren't hardcore womens basketball fans and had yet to be introduced to Krista or Whitney.

I hope you all come back this fall for the next incarnation of the womens basketball blog. I promise I'll post more pics. :D

Mad Dog Madsen
7/2/2010, 01:41 PM
I must say that I am surprised at the results thus far, as we're looking at a Whitney/Krista finale. Usually when you talk about hot Sooner basketball women, it's all Stacey and Sherri, but hey, maybe that's just cuz a lot of you aren't hardcore womens basketball fans and had yet to be introduced to Krista or Whitney.

I hope you all come back this fall for the next incarnation of the womens basketball blog. I promise I'll post more pics. :D

I just don't think Krista Sanchez is that hot. Sure, she's hot to a certain extent but she's definitely no Erin Higgins... :D

badger
7/2/2010, 01:44 PM
I just don't think Krista Sanchez is that hot. Sure, she's hot to a certain extent but she's definitely no Erin Higgins... :D

OK, that does it - time to crush your little hopes and dreams of being Mr. Erin Higgins:

Like other hot OU womens basketball players, she is... yes, with an OU quarterback.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3846362266_8c87f2fc1d_o.jpg

Although technically, Noah Allen went to SHSU when Jason White got a sixth year... but hey, still a Sooner at heart I'm sure :D

Mad Dog Madsen
7/2/2010, 04:19 PM
:eek: ... :mad: ... :(

Curly Bill
7/2/2010, 05:22 PM
I can't believe Krista Sanchez has twice the votes of Stacey Dales.

You people are bleepin retarded!

badger
7/2/2010, 05:45 PM
bill, you better find some guys that haven't voted yet if you want stacey in the finale - I don't care what the vote differential is, whoever the top two vote receivers on July 4 are when the poll closes are going to the last round. No more runoffs, play-ins or giving into demands!

(and if the vote's tied, I haven't voted yet so I'll cast the last vote)

7/2/2010, 09:09 PM
I can't believe Krista Sanchez has twice the votes of Stacey Dales.

You people are bleepin retarded!No shiite! Stacey is easily the hottest of the Final Four.

Curly Bill
7/3/2010, 11:07 AM
bill, you better find some guys that haven't voted yet if you want stacey in the finale - I don't care what the vote differential is, whoever the top two vote receivers on July 4 are when the poll closes are going to the last round. No more runoffs, play-ins or giving into demands!

(and if the vote's tied, I haven't voted yet so I'll cast the last vote)

Naw, it's OK, I know what the truth is, that other peeps are too dumb to see it doesn't dissuade me from it. :)

Curly Bill
7/3/2010, 11:07 AM
No shiite! Stacey is easily the hottest of the Final Four.

Rush, you're always a voice of reason. ;)

badger
7/4/2010, 02:59 PM
You people are awesome - I was hoping to get some new people into the constant "hot" discussions that usually revolve around Sherri and Stacey. You'll get exactly who you requested for in uber doses when the holiday festivities end.

EDIT: I'll put up the finale tonight. I need to decide how much basketball hell I want to be in for which pics I post...