PDA

View Full Version : Another thorny issue in the immigration debate

Okla-homey
6/26/2010, 08:30 AM
As I see it, one of the biggest problems related to immigration policy we face is the fact a great number of people now in US prisons and jails are here illegally. I've heard around 20% in the border tier of states.

Now, let's be adult about this and acknowledge the vast majority of folks who sneak into this country illegaly work hard and don't prey upon Americans.

But there is a substantial sub-class of illegals who sneak over precisely to prey upon Americans and even their countrymen, many of whom get busted, convicted and are now incarcerated. I've read that each incarceration costs state taxpayers an average of $60K per year.

Here's the thing. We can't merely deport a bandito when we bust him, because if banditos learned all that happens if they rape, rob or murder in the US is they get deported, well, you know. So, we lock-em up.

Any thoughts on a different approach? I'm curious as to what folks think. Srsly.

:pop:

Breadburner
6/26/2010, 08:34 AM
Secure the boarder.....

delhalew
6/26/2010, 09:44 AM
Secure the boarder.....

No brainer. I want a fence with razor wire and electronic monitoring combined with guards who are armed and not afraid to separate your head from your ****ing shoulders.

XingTheRubicon
6/26/2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, maybe make mexico their prison.

I actually have a small crew laying tile in my never gonna be finished cabana. They are 2 white guys and Luis. Luis is about 22 years old and Luis is illegal. Luis motions for me to come discuss the layout of the tile. Luis knows about 5 English words. I felt like Kevin Costner trying to talk to the Sioux. He communicates very well, though and silently shows me "full tile on this wall, half tile here or other way around. This size spacer, grout color and so on.

They get started and Luis marks a chalk line, mixes thinset and marks tile for cuts on about 8 tiles in about 6 minutes. He is constantly and steadily working every single second throughout the day. He barely makes eye contact to say thank you when they leave.

It's very difficult to make firm stance on illegals when you meet and observe people like Luis.

Harry Beanbag
6/26/2010, 10:49 AM
As I see it, one of the biggest problems related to immigration policy we face is the fact a great number of people now in US prisons and jails are here illegally. I've heard around 20% in the border tier of states.

Now, let's be adult about this and acknowledge the vast majority of folks who sneak into this country illegaly work hard and don't prey upon Americans.

But there is a substantial sub-class of illegals who sneak over precisely to prey upon Americans and even their countrymen, many of whom get busted, convicted and are now incarcerated. I've read that each incarceration costs state taxpayers an average of $60K per year.

Here's the thing. We can't merely deport a bandito when we bust him, because if banditos learned all that happens if they rape, rob or murder in the US is they get deported, well, you know. So, we lock-em up.

Any thoughts on a different approach? I'm curious as to what folks think. Srsly.

:pop:

Did you just realize this?

Flagstaffsooner
6/26/2010, 10:56 AM
Kill them, cut them up and sell them as steak in China's Walmarts. Reduce the trade imbalance.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/26/2010, 10:56 AM
Illegals are over-represented in federal prisons, given that around 75% of those incarcerated in federal prisons are there for immigration-related (e.g., alien smuggling or returning after deportation) or drug-related (e.g., smuggling or distribution).

We could either legalize drugs, or go the other way and become ultra-punitive ... start drug testing everyone for everything or start executing dope heads.

A sane immigration reform might reduce immigration-related incarcerations.

As for county jails and state prisons, I don't believe they are significantly over-represented. While the number of those illegally present grew significantly since the mid-90s with the economic boom, overall crime and violent crime, in particular, decreased.

Harry Beanbag
6/26/2010, 11:08 AM
As for county jails and state prisons, I don't believe they are significantly over-represented.

Anything over 0% is over-represented.

SicEmBaylor
6/26/2010, 11:45 AM
No brainer. I want a fence with razor wire and electronic monitoring combined with guards who are armed and not afraid to separate your head from your ****ing shoulders.
This. So much as a toe over the border and we should shoot to kill.

Flagstaffsooner
6/26/2010, 12:22 PM
Illegals are over-represented in federal prisons, given that around 75% of those incarcerated in federal prisons are there for immigration-related (e.g., alien smuggling or returning after deportation) or drug-related (e.g., smuggling or distribution).

We could either legalize drugs, or go the other way and become ultra-punitive ... start drug testing everyone for everything or start executing dope heads.

A sane immigration reform might reduce immigration-related incarcerations.

As for county jails and state prisons, I don't believe they are significantly over-represented. While the number of those illegally present grew significantly since the mid-90s with the economic boom, overall crime and violent crime, in particular, decreased.

You dont seem to understand. We are up to our necks in mexicans. Let mexico straighten its act up and keep their dirt bags over there. The first thing they need to do is get rid of that pope church. That altar boy bending bunch of theives have raped the entire World and sent the loot to the vatican. When mexico gets rid of that pope religion their economy can move foreward.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 12:40 PM
Somebody call Laureate and let them know someone left the gate open again.

olevetonahill
6/26/2010, 12:43 PM
Why? did they let you out on a weekend Pass?

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 12:52 PM
Why? did they let you out on a weekend Pass?

Yeah, haven't you heard? I'm on my way to take care of the Pope.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 12:57 PM
How about plans in which we try to keep people from getting hurt?

olevetonahill
6/26/2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah, haven't you heard? I'm on my way to take care of the Pope.

Gonna bend HIM over the Alter huh?

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 01:01 PM
Gonna bend HIM over the Alter huh?

Note to self: Don't come within a hundred miles of olevet and a lightning storm.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/26/2010, 02:22 PM
You dont seem to understand. We are up to our necks in mexicans. Let mexico straighten its act up and keep their dirt bags over there. The first thing they need to do is get rid of that pope church. That altar boy bending bunch of theives have raped the entire World and sent the loot to the vatican. When mexico gets rid of that pope religion their economy can move foreward.

Seems like you Arizona folks would have the most to gain from immigration reform and a guest worker program with biometric IDs. As it is now, most all who are sneaking across to get to anywhere in the western U.S. go through Arizona. All those headed to California used to cross the border directly into California. Pete Wilson's campaigning led to tight California borders, which pushed the crossing points out to remote areas along the Arizona border, and led to a big-time smuggling industry and bribery schemes.

So all those entering pass through Arizona, and no doubt, Darwin says the lower rung who are not resourceful enough to continue, settle in Arizona. A guest worker program means those headed to California, Oregon, and Washington are much more likely to enter through a California port-of-entry.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 02:31 PM
Seems like you Arizona folks would have the most to gain from immigration reform and a guest worker program with biometric IDs. As it is now, most all who are sneaking across to get to anywhere in the western U.S. go through Arizona. All those headed to California used to cross the border directly into California. Pete Wilson's campaigning led to tight California borders, which pushed the crossing points out to remote areas along the Arizona border, and led to a big-time smuggling industry and bribery schemes.

Okay, so we do what California did and push the problem into New Mexico.

Thanks for the idea.

BTW, I don't think most conservatives oppose a guest-worker program, per se. The problem is that the programs I have heard about only make the problems worse. When a lib designs it, you can bank on the fact that it will invite hordes of people across the border, sapping our social service programs.

Essentially, I don't mind if working adults can come across temporarily and work at wages that abide by federal labor laws. But I don't want their kids here. It is Mexico's responsibility to educate the youth of Mexico and provide for their health care, not the United States'. But this is anathema to the Left.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/28/2010, 03:33 PM
A Look at the Senate Democratic Proposal for Immigrants and Crime: Perception vs. Reality
By Stuart Anderson, an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute and executive director, National Foundation for American Policy.

Recent events in Arizona show how quickly concerns about possible crimes committed by immigrants can dominate the immigration policy debate. The murder of an Arizona rancher in March became the catalyst for the state legislature passing a controversial bill to grant police officers wider latitude to check the immigration status of individuals they encounter. But do the facts show immigrants are more likely to commit crimes than natives?

The situation in Arizona is a classic case of perception becoming more important than statistics. “There is nothing more powerful than a story about a gruesome murder or assault that leads in the local news and drives public opinion that it is not safe anywhere,” according to Scott Decker, an Arizona State University criminologist.1

In a recent article, Daniel Griswold, director of the Center for Trade Policies Studies at the Cato Institute, writes, “According to the most recent figures from the U.S. Department of Justice, the violent crime rate in Arizona in 2008 was the lowest it has been since 1971; the property crime rate fell to its lowest point since 1966. In the past decade, as illegal immigrants were drawn in to the area in record numbers by the housing boom, the rate of violent crimes in Phoenix and the entire state fell by more than 20 percent, a steeper drop than in the overall U.S. crime rate.”2

Griswold notes that in a story in the Arizona Republic, the assistant police chief in Nogales, Roy Bermudez, “shakes his head and smiles when he hears politicians and pundits declaring that Mexican cartel violence is overrunning his Arizona border town. 'We have not, thank God, witnessed any spillover violence from Mexico,' Chief Bermudez says emphatically. 'You can look at the crime stats. I think Nogales, Arizona, is one of the safest places to live in all of America.'”

The Immigrant Crime Rate: Lower Than Natives?

Data show immigrants are much less likely to commit crimes than the native-born, a pattern confirmed by a 2008 study of data from California: “When we consider all institutionalization (not only prisons but also jails, halfway houses, and the like) and focus on the population that is most likely to be in institutions because of criminal activity (men 18-40), we find that, in California, U.S.-born men have an institutionalization rate that is 10 times higher than that of foreign-born men (4.2 percent vs. 0.42 percent). And when we compare foreign-born men to U.S.-born men with similar age and education levels, these difference become even greater,” according to research by economists Kristin F. Butcher (Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago) and Anne Morrison Piehl (Rutgers University and the National Bureau of Economic Research). Looking only at prisons, the researchers found, “U.S.-born adult men are incarcerated at a rate two-and-a-half times greater than that of foreign-born men.”3

National studies have reached the conclusion that foreign-born (both legal and illegal immigrants) are less likely to commit crimes than the native-born. “Among men age 18-39 (who comprise the vast majority of the prison population), the 3.5 percent incarceration rate of the native-born in 2000 was 5 times higher than the 0.7 percent incarceration rate of the foreign-born,” according to the Immigration Policy Center.4

Those studying the issue point to logical explanations as to why the crime rate of immigrants is low. “Currently U.S. immigration policy provides several mechanisms that are likely to reduce the criminal activity of immigrants,” write Butcher and Piehl. “Legal immigrants are screened with regard to their criminal backgrounds. In addition, all non-citizens, even those in the U.S. legally, are subject to deportation if convicted of a criminal offense that is punishable by a prison sentence of a year or more, even if that is suspended. Furthermore, those in the country illegally have an additional incentive to avoid contact with law enforcement—even for minor offenses—since such contact is likely to increase the chances that their illegal status will be revealed.”5

The Latest Research

In new research published in the June 2010 issue of Social Science Quarterly, University of Colorado at Boulder sociologist Tim Wadsworth examined U.S. Census and Uniform Crime Report data in U.S. cities. Wadsworth notes that one reason to conduct such research was the historical perception that immigrants increase the rate of crime: “The popular discourse surrounding anti-immigrant legislation rests on the assumption that encouraging, allowing, or not doing enough to prohibit poor, unskilled, and uneducated individuals to immigrate increases crime rates and the danger of victimization. Sometimes the concerns focus on all immigration, other times only illegal immigration, and in much of the discourse a clear distinction is not made.”6

Wadsworth examined U.S. cities with a population of 50,000 or higher and used “cross-sectional time-series models to determine how changes in immigration influenced changes in homicide and robbery rates between 1990 and 2000.” The results were clear: “[C]ities with the largest increases in immigration between 1990 and 2000 experienced the largest decreases in homicide and robbery during the same time period. … The findings offer insights into the complex relationship between immigration and crime and suggest that growth in immigration may have been responsible for part of the precipitous crime drop of the 1990s.”7

Wadsworth is not the only researcher to make this connection. He notes that in 2006 Harvard University sociologist Robert Sampson “proposed that not only have immigrants not increased crime, but they may be partly responsible for one of the most precipitous declines in crime that the U.S. has ever experienced.” Wadsworth concludes, “The current findings offer empirical support to this claim. Time-series models suggest that the widely-held belief that has motivated much of the public and political discourse about immigration and crime is wrong. In contrast, the research offers initial support for the idea that the increase in immigration was partially responsible for the decrease in homicide and robbery in urban areas between 1990 and 2000.8

An Unsolved Murder

The murder of Arizona rancher Robert Krentz remains unsolved. It is unclear whether the perpetrator was involved in drug smuggling, human smuggling, born in the U.S. or an illegal immigrant.

In general, we know that illegal immigrants do not exhibit violent resistance when apprehended by U.S. Border Patrol Agents. In more than 10 million apprehensions since 2000 we have not seen much evidence of those entering illegally to work in the U.S. arming themselves to fight Border Patrol Agents. However, individuals linked to organized crime rings are likely to be armed, given their involvement in drug or human smuggling and the money involved.

In the case of immigration, the lack of temporary work visas and the increased difficulty of entering illegally due to increased enforcement have compelled more illegal immigrants to turn to coyotes—middlemen who guide illegal immigrants across the border to evade the Border Patrol. With the lure of money, criminal gangs have taken over most of the smuggling operations. Illegal immigrants themselves are often victims of these smugglers: Arizona police report increased kidnappings in Phoenix and elsewhere of individuals who are smuggled across the border and then held for ransom.

According to authorities, illegal immigrants have been held for weeks and beaten until a relative can pay ransom beyond the cost of any smuggling fees paid before crossing the border. “[A]s border crossings decline, gangs earn less money directly from smuggling fees than from holding some of their clients for ransom, before delivering them to their destination farther inside the U.S.,” writes Joel Millman in the Wall Street Journal.

Years ago, coyotes were small operators often smuggling the same illegal immigrants into the U.S. from year to year. “Now, organized gangs own the people-smuggling trade,” writes Millman. “According to U.S. and Mexican police, this is partly an unintended consequence of a border crackdown. Making crossings more difficult drove up their cost, attracting brutal Mexican crime rings that forced the small operators out of business.”9

Much of the lawlessness and the violation of the rights of property owners could be eliminated with the introduction of increased legal means of entry for the foreign-born to work in the U.S. Foreign-born workers do not wish to cross hazardous terrain or risk kidnapping at the hands of smugglers any more than an American would. The best way to reduce lawlessness along the border is to put in place a work visa law that removes the profits from smugglers and thereby reduces the risks faced by would-be foreign workers and U.S. property owners.

1 Kristin F. Butcher and Anne Morrison Piehl, Crime, Corrections, and California, Public Policy Institute of California, February 2008, 1-2.
2 Daniel Griswold, “Unfounded fear of immigrant crime grips Arizona,” The Washington Times, May 25, 2010.
3 Kristin F. Butcher and Anne Morrison Piehl, Crime, Corrections, and California, Public Policy Institute of California, February 2008, 1-2.
4 Ruben G. Rumbaut and Walter Ewing, The Myth of Immigrant Criminality and the Paradox of Assimilation: Incarceration Rates Among Native and Foreign-born Men, (Washington, DC: Immigration Policy Center, Spring 2007), 1.
5 Butcher and Piehl, 3.
6 Tim Wadsworth, Tim Wadsworth, “Is Immigration Responsible for the Crime Drop? An Assessment of the Influence of Immigration on Changes in Violent Crime Between 1990 and 2000,” Social Science Quarterly, June 2010, 534.
7 Ibid., 531.
8 Ibid., 550.
9 Joel Millman, “Immigrants Become Hostages as Gangs Prey on Mexicans,” The Wall Street Journal, June 10, 2009.

sooner_born_1960
6/28/2010, 03:43 PM
Guest worker? How exactly does that work? Let's equate it to a guest in my home. Guests to my home knock on the front door, and depending on what I've got going on, or how many people are already visiting, I can or cannot let them in. Before I start letting visitors into my home, I'm probably going to kick out anyone who entered through a window or the back door.

So, let's do something about our unwelcome/uninvited "guest workers" before we entertain plans for a guest worker program.

Harry Beanbag
6/28/2010, 03:48 PM
The findings offer insights into the complex relationship between immigration and crime and suggest that growth in immigration may have been responsible for part of the precipitous crime drop of the 1990s.”7

Wadsworth is not the only researcher to make this connection. He notes that in 2006 Harvard University sociologist Robert Sampson “proposed that not only have immigrants not increased crime, but they may be partly responsible for one of the most precipitous declines in crime that the U.S. has ever experienced.”

I found a picture of Robert Sampson.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/dignonk/office_space.jpg

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 03:53 PM
In response to Leroy's continual lamentation about how us fine Americans are being screwed by schooling the children of illegal immigrants: http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm

At any rate, the idea of "securing the border" is a meaningless phrase: border security is expensive, and it is ineffective.

Jacie
6/28/2010, 03:57 PM
This. So much as a toe over the border and we should shoot to kill.

I guess you don't remember the Cold War. There was this country called the U.S.S.R., that extended it's influence over Eastern Europe for over 40 years. That country had a secure border, though it wasn't so much to keep people from other countries out as it was to keep theirs in. And if someone were spotted trying to slip past the guard towers, minefields, razor wire and doberman pinshcers, they were considered fair game. Pretty much the rest of the world considered the Iron Curtain a bad thing. So, do we want the United States of America, the land of the free and home of the brave to be seen by the rest of the world as little more than another U.S.S.R.?

SicEmBaylor
6/28/2010, 04:01 PM
I guess you don't remember the Cold War. There was this country called the U.S.S.R., that extended it's influence over Eastern Europe for over 40 years. That country had a secure border, though it wasn't so much to keep people from other countries out as it was to keep theirs in. And if someone were spotted trying to slip past the guard towers, minefields, razor wire and doberman pinshcers, they were considered fair game. Pretty much the rest of the world considered the Iron Curtain a bad thing. So, do we want the United States of America, the land of the free and home of the brave to be seen by the rest of the world as little more than another U.S.S.R.?

It's a completely different situation. There's a HUGE difference between securing your borders and ensuring people legally enter the country and completely walling it off keeping your own people in a virtual prison ala the Soviet Union/N. Korea. But then again I think you already know that. If you don't see the difference then that's just pitifully sad.
'

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:08 PM

I agree with your sentiment, and I think it's interesting if we're going to try to bring American ethics and ideals into the debate.

I mean, this is supposed to be a place for the pursuit of happiness, yeah? The Statue of Liberty reads Give me your tired, your poor..., and it means zilch to us in a modern stance. Whenever we discuss the immigration-quotas placed upon certain countries in the 18th and 19th centuries, we do so in a way that laments the bigotry and racism of our fore-fathers. And we do that same thing now: we just base it upon money and call it economics.

Everybody needs to be less afraid of brown people. Also, if poor Mexicans could manage a route to come here legally, they would do it.

No poor people, please! The promise of America is reserved for the people lucky enough to be born here and wealthy/educated foreigners! AMURIKAH! FU** YEAH!!

SicEmBaylor
6/28/2010, 04:10 PM
I mean, this is supposed to be a place for the pursuit of happiness, yeah? The Statue of Liberty reads Give me your tired, your poor..., and it means zilch to us in a modern stance.
It's a meaningless statement. It wasn't part of the nation's "Mission Statement" in the Declaration...it isn't in the Constitution...it's words on a statue given to us by the French not some legal, moral, or ethical obligation we have to allow anyone who wants to come here a free entry-ticket.

Whenever we discuss the immigration-quotas placed upon certain countries in the 18th and 19th centuries, we do so in a way that laments the bigotry and racism of our fore-fathers. And we do that same thing now: we just base it upon money and call it economics. No poor people, please!

While this is factually true, I applaud just such a policy. In any case, as I've said many times before, I oppose all immigration legal or otherwise.

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:18 PM
It's a meaningless statement. It wasn't part of the nation's "Mission Statement" in the Declaration...it isn't in the Constitution...it's words on a statue given to us by the French not some legal, moral, or ethical obligation we have to allow anyone who wants to come here a free entry-ticket.

Fair, but you can't deny that that "meaningless" statement and statue compose a significant portion of our collective identity. This debate strikes right into the discussion about what America--despite our diversity and disagreement--is all about. The problem is that our policies do not reflect our immigrant-ethics, the narrative that we've been constructing for centuries. And I like that narrative better than the other narrative (America! The restrictive, racist, and colonizing sub-continent!)

I oppose all immigration legal or otherwise.

I do not.

SicEmBaylor
6/28/2010, 04:26 PM
Fair, but you can't deny that that "meaningless" statement and statue compose a significant portion of our collective identity. This debate strikes right into the debate about what America--despite our diversity and disagreement--is all about. The problem is that our policies do not reflect the ethics and narrative that we've been constructing for centuries.

That's always been true of our country and is true of a lot of other things beyond immigration. With immigration it's the narrative that needs to change to fit the reality of policy...not change the policy to match the narrative.

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:29 PM
That's always been true of our country and is true of a lot of other things beyond immigration. With immigration it's the narrative that needs to change to fit the reality of policy...not change the policy to match the narrative.

That depends upon how much you value the narrative.

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:30 PM
No poor people, please! The promise of America is reserved for the people lucky enough to be born here and wealthy/educated foreigners!

Sounds like Australia and New Zealand. Try to emigrate there with no money or professional skills.

There is a trade-off between being compassionate and smart. We've done the compassionate thing for a long time now and people simply take advantage of this weakness. Let's try being smart for a change.

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:32 PM
Sounds like Australia and New Zealand. Try to emigrate there with no money or professional skills.

Since when was Australia or New Zealand an authority on state-ethics?

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:33 PM

It's the 19th-century equivalent of a bumper sticker! Nothing more. Nothing less. I am tired of the U.S. being chained to a slogan.

We need a new bumper sticker. "Give us your professionals, your educated... those that will get out of the wagon and help push us through the 21st century."

OhU1
6/28/2010, 04:37 PM
We need a new bumper sticker. "Give us your professionals, your educated... those that will get out of the wagon and help push us through the 21st century."

Yes I agree, keep on bringing the doctors and scientists from India and China. We have plenty of room for these folk and others like them.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/28/2010, 04:47 PM
No poor people, please! The promise of America is reserved for the people lucky enough to be born here and wealthy/educated foreigners! AMURIKAH! FU** YEAH!!

The promise of America is nothing but debt. Once that bubble bursts, all of the rats will head back south anyways and we'll all be poor.

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:49 PM
The promise of America is nothing but debt. Once that bubble bursts, all of the rats will head back south anyways and we'll all be poor.

*people, like you and me and all of the people we love,

Fixed.

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:50 PM
Since when was Australia or New Zealand an authority on state-ethics?

I don't see anyone bagging on them like they bag on us. When is the last time you heard outrage from anyone in the world about Australia's evil, horrific immigration laws.

No, only the U.S. is so stupid to allow itself to be so denigrated.

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:51 PM

But they won't take us in. This "give me your poor and tired" slogan only works one way.

Serge Ibaka
6/28/2010, 04:51 PM
I don't see anyone bagging on them like they bag on us. When is the last time you heard outrage from anyone in the world about Australia's evil, horrific immigration laws.

No, only the U.S. is so stupid to allow itself to be so denigrated.

Oh, c'mon: Australia doesn't share a 2,000 mile long land-border with the 3rd world.

That was too easy.

But they won't take us in. This "give me your poor and tired" slogan only works one way.

So what? The narrative is a promise with other human beings and not with other governments.

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:53 PM
Yes I agree, keep on bringing the doctors and scientists from India and China. We have plenty of room for these folk and others like them.

Sarcasm?

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 04:54 PM
Oh, c'mon: Australia doesn't share a 2,000 mile long land-border with the 3rd world.

Explain the relevance. A country either wants self-supporting immigrants, or it doesn't. The length of the border is irrelevant.

OhU1
6/28/2010, 05:00 PM
Sarcasm?

Nope - I am saying lets continue to bring in the highly educated brains from around the world. Those that will help us push forward as you were saying. There are a lot of doctors from India and China that come to live in the U.S. and help us all. We should welcome them, and we do.

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 05:02 PM
Nope - I am saying lets continue to bring in the highly educated brains from around the world. Those that will help us push forward as you were saying. There are a lot of doctors from India and China that come to live in the U.S. and help us all. We should welcome them, and we do.

And Russia. Russian physicists and mathematicians are brilliant.

OhU1
6/28/2010, 05:04 PM
And Russia. Russian physicists and mathematicians are brilliant.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/23/grigory-perelman-rejects-1m-dollars

Except this guy has kind of a Unibomber vibe about him...

Leroy Lizard
6/28/2010, 05:11 PM
Yeah, I posted that one a few months back. They can keep him.