PDA

View Full Version : Whisky

yermom
6/25/2010, 03:06 PM
lately i've been branching out a bit on the booze

after a bad experience on Scotch as a wee lad, i can drink it again

Johnny Walker Black isn't bad, but i think it's a little too smoky

lately i have been liking Jameson a lot. it's not Scotch, but it was close enough that i couldn't drink it at first

what is the SO drinking?

soonerinabilene
6/25/2010, 03:19 PM
VO is my usual choice. Buffalo Trace is really good too.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:24 PM
If you're talking scotch, Macallan 12 year is pretty approachable. Try the Balvenie Double-Wood (12 year). It's pretty smooth, actually one of my favorites, and won't break the bank. Both of those are Speyside whiskies.

I'd avoid the Islay or Highland malts until later - they're much rougher.

EDIT - for bourbons I like Knob Creek. Makers is ok, but I like KC better.

sooner59
6/25/2010, 03:25 PM
On a normal day: Something cheap and not really good.

If I have a little money: Jameson, Gentleman Jack, Johnny Walker, Chivas Regal (12 year)

If I ain't worried about money: Chivas Regal (18 year)

King Crimson
6/25/2010, 03:26 PM
in the mid-range (30$ a bottle) of small-batch bourbons, i like Bulleit and Buffalo Trace. Maker's you are just paying for the name these days and i don't think it's as good as it used to be.

Scotch, i like the 8 yr Highland Park....on a budget.

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 03:28 PM
Irish is my choice of poison. In order of preference: Tullamore Dew, Jameson, Bushmills, Red Breast, Michael Collins, and Feck. I can drink any of them, but to me the Dew and Jameson are the smoothest.

All can be had at Abner's, as well as I don't know how many single-malt scotches and Irish. Bring your wallet though cause some of those single-malt scotches are like $20-something a shot.

yermom
6/25/2010, 03:31 PM
look, Bruce, i'm not shooting these at a bar :D

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 03:32 PM
Oh I don't shoot them either. I order doubles and sip them like the true suave and sophisticated man of action that I am.

At the house I drink Tullamore and Wiser's.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:34 PM
Irish is my choice of poison. In order of preference: Tullamore Dew, Jameson, Bushmills, Red Breast, Michael Collins, and Feck. I can drink any of them, but to me the Dew and Jameson are the smoothest.

All can be had at Abner's, as well as I don't know how many single-malt scotches and Irish. Bring your wallet though cause some of those single-malt scotches are like $20-something a shot.

I haven't tried Tullamore Dew, but I agree with you that Jameson's > Bushmills. There's just a little something odd in the aftertaste of Bushmills that I'm not sold on.

sooner ngintunr
6/25/2010, 04:02 PM
Canadian Club for mixing/sipping.
Wisers for sipping.
FIL brought over some Tullamore Dew on St Pattys day, not bad. I prefer blended Canadian whiskeys though.

Tervis Tumblers Big-T's are the win for mixing. Drop in some ice, dump in 2-3 shots, dump a 12 oz Coke in. Perfect mix every time, no condensation rings, ice lasts a long time, lifetime warranty. (which I had to use once, my fault, too drunky, no problems whatsoever)

http://www.tervis.com/Products/COLLEGIATE/Oklahoma,-Univ.-of_UNIV-OK.aspx

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 04:23 PM
OVJ when the PoPo aint lookin ;)

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 04:26 PM
I haven't tried Tullamore Dew, but I agree with you that Jameson's > Bushmills. There's just a little something odd in the aftertaste of Bushmills that I'm not sold on.

And the aftertaste is even worse with Red Breast. I've tried it several times on LAS's recommendation, but it has a bite that isn't pleasant. I'll take my Dew, thanks very much. Plus, the Dew is cheaper.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 04:29 PM
Crown Royal

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 04:47 PM
what is the SO drinking?

This, and it's excellent.

Sam Houston "very small batch" Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/dictionary/images/2372.jpg

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 05:03 PM
This, and it's excellent.

Sam Houston "very small batch" Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey

http://www.barnonedrinks.com/tips/dictionary/images/2372.jpg

Eeeww! Yankee owned. Cooties.

Veritas
6/25/2010, 08:23 PM
If you think Black is smoky, stick to Highland, Speyside, and Lowland scotches. Avoid Campbelton and Islay scotchs (as well as island scotches like Talisker, Jura, Highland Park, Scapa, Arran, and Tobermory).

GHP is right, Macallan 12 is a very approachable whisky. Auchentoshan is a Lowland whisky that I'd recommend for you; Lowland whiskies are much lighter and grassier...Glenkinchie is another one but avoid the 12 year.

afs
6/25/2010, 08:49 PM
I'll second The Balvenie 12 yr. The 15 yr is good if you want to shell out the xtra $$$. I'm not a fan of peat or smoke flavors so i tend to stick to lowland scotches - Glenfiddich, Glenlivet and Macallan.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 09:38 PM
KC//CRIMSON'S example of a New York conglomerate-owned whiskey got me wondering: Are there any small independent bourbon distillers left? Maker's Mark got bought out by Jim Beam, so what's left?

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 09:58 PM
OV, Oh wait :eek: ;) :D

delhalew
6/26/2010, 12:59 AM
I used to drink Bushmills like water. An Irish friend, who worked at a bar with me, says..."eh don't you know that **** is protestant!" He hands me a bottle Jameson. "Drink this instead!" Irish folks are a strange bunch, but he was right. Jameson is much better IMO.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 01:02 AM
Sounds like I'm going to have to switch over to Bushmills. Too bad, because I liked Jamesons.

TUSooner
6/26/2010, 07:53 AM
I've been buying Bushmill's and never had a complaint. Jameson never seemed much better. But I really haven't tried other Irish whiskies in awhile, so I think I'll have to give Jameson another try, and the Tullamore.

I used to shun any whisky but scotch. Then I opened my mind a bit and decided that there's a lot of good whisky out there, including bourbon.

delhalew
6/26/2010, 09:57 AM
I've been buying Bushmill's and never had a complaint. Jameson never seemed much better. But I really haven't tried other Irish whiskies in awhile, so I think I'll have to give Jameson another try, and the Tullamore.

I used to shun any whisky but scotch. Then I opened my mind a bit and decided that there's a lot of good whisky out there, including bourbon.

Well, as I said, I used to LOVE Bushmills. Jameson just seems to fit my palate better. I also love the Tullamore, but I've become attached to Jameson brand, which is something I do...I like do something different sometimes, but in the end I'm a creature of habit.

When I drink scotch I tend to go Glennfiddich, because I know I can trust it.

Zbird
6/26/2010, 07:52 PM

Ah then ya haven' tried the BlackBush. But I've got to agree the Dew is the best Irish, (from the crockery bottle with a cork)

For the finest whiskey though, its got to be Single malt Scotch. And I'll be found sippin' the smokey, peaty ones like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. If you're not inclined toward the smoky, a more resonable cost middle of the road drink is J&B much less expensive than Chivas and, I think much better. A Scottish friend of mine referred to Chivas as Dog whiz. He said never drink whiskey that doesn't have a cork stopper and have a name that start's with Glen. My sampling of the Glen...s leads me to generally agree except for the smoky exceptions previously mentioned. The cork part I agree with 100%.

If we're talking Bourbon whiskey, my choice would have to be Black Jack or Turkey. Never cared for crown except for their too expensive black version.

ndpruitt03
6/26/2010, 09:18 PM
Best thread ever on this board. Pretty sure I've tried just about everything mentioned. Gentlemen Jack is probably my favorite.

Curly Bill
6/27/2010, 02:12 AM
I've read the Irish Country Doctor series of books, and the old Doc in those drinks Jamesons...

...if that means anything.

C&CDean
6/27/2010, 07:00 PM
FWIW, I'm sipping the Jameson this very second. And by sipping, I mean quaffing.

GottaHavePride
6/27/2010, 08:53 PM
Quaffing is when you're conducting the singing with your mug, right? That's why Germans make those mugs with lids: to keep from spilling while quaffing.

MrJimBeam
6/28/2010, 05:37 AM
Jim Beam, aged 7 years.

SoonerProphet
6/28/2010, 09:02 AM
for scotch i don't mind j&b for a blended and the glenlivet for single malt.

C&CDean
6/28/2010, 10:03 AM
Quaffing is when you're conducting the singing with your mug, right? That's why Germans make those mugs with lids: to keep from spilling while quaffing.

Hell, I don't know. Quaffing was always "gulping" to me. And I know I wasn't conducting any singing with my highball glass - at least that's how I remember it...

Mjcpr
6/28/2010, 10:11 AM
Man, I used to have a girlfriend that quaffed like a reindeer.

OUMallen
6/28/2010, 12:04 PM
Jim Beam

Predictable.

StoopTroup
6/28/2010, 12:22 PM
Crown

C&CDean
6/28/2010, 01:36 PM
Brown Round

You nasty.

SteelCitySooner
6/28/2010, 08:47 PM
Chivas (12) is my top drink of choice but i find myself drinking Jameson most of the time..In fact just went out and picked up a bottle earlier tonight..

Veritas
6/28/2010, 08:56 PM
A Scottish friend of mine referred to Chivas as Dog whiz. He said never drink whiskey that doesn't have a cork stopper and have a name that start's with Glen
Interesting, considering that one of the single malts that contributes quite a bit to all Chivas blends is Glenlivet.

GottaHavePride
6/28/2010, 09:03 PM
Heh. I know some Scots that think any whisky involving the word "blended" is dog whiz...

dolemitesooner
6/28/2010, 10:09 PM
Pacifico
Modelo
Saparo

Yuengling

Grey Goose...lord I have a boner just thinking about how smooth it is.

P.S. Scotch sucks...or was it Gin....that **** Homey gave me. YUCKERS

yermom
6/28/2010, 10:36 PM
the beer thread is over there ;)

i think that was gin

and start your own vodka thread

yermom
6/28/2010, 10:37 PM
Heh. I know some Scots that think any whisky involving the word "blended" is dog whiz...

i've been meaning to try more single malts

dolemitesooner
6/28/2010, 10:40 PM
what is the SO drinking?
:confused:

not

what wiskey is the SO drinking?

Love you :kiss:

yermom
6/28/2010, 11:26 PM
:confused:

not

what wiskey is the SO drinking?

Love you :kiss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky

the "e" is optional, i don't think the "h" is

GKeeper316
6/28/2010, 11:44 PM
Crown Royal

****ing FAIL!

crown royal, despite its fancy-shmancy packaging, is cheap *** canadian ****.

scotch i stick with single malts. glenmarangie is great

yermom
6/28/2010, 11:50 PM
be careful now :D

Veritas
6/29/2010, 10:59 AM
I'm a whisky fanatic. Seriously, I'm a bit of a freak about it. It's really my the only thing outside of the business that I spend money on. So I'm going to elucidate on whisky a bit, because I just love to talk about it.

First, to "e" or not to "e".
The reason some whiskies have an "e" and some don't goes back to a quality control issue that took place in North America somewhere around the turn of the century. Basically, lots of sh!tty whisky was being produced on this continent. To differentiate themselves, lots of distilleries added the "e". Newer distilleries like Makers (started in the 50's IIRC) could choose whichever. So don't let anyone tell you that it's because the Scots do it this way and Americans do it that way.

All bourbons are whiskies, but not all whiskies are bourbons
Lots of misinformation about this one, usually "all bourbons are made in Kentucky." Bourbon is any whisky that is produced from a mash containing 50% or more corn by weight. Corn, having more sugars, leads to a sweeter whisky as not all of the sugar is converted to alchohol.

Single malt vs blended
Another one with lots of misconceptions.
Single malt means that the whisky is the bottling of one and only one distilleries liquor.
Blended means that many distilleries (hundreds, in some cases) have contributed to the bottling. Futhermore, most blends are diluted further with anonymous high-proof grain whisky.
Vatted means that multiple distilleries have contributed, but there is no grain spirit added.

Not all blended/vatted malts are crap. That's just ignorant. Lots of blends are crap, just like lots of single malts are crap.

KC//CRIMSON
6/29/2010, 11:43 AM
Modern Marvels - Bourbon

xpQBYJiOj6E

Modern Marvels- Scotch

-VCFmjIk9yQ

Modern Marvels - Tequila

ntCMiy-fQEA

Modern Marvels - Gin & Vodka

AUEoMwT7liI

Modern Marvels - Absinthe

5wqW1IgSKmI

OUthunder
6/29/2010, 11:02 PM
Talisker
Ardbeg 17 year old
Glenmorangie

afs
9/8/2010, 10:05 PM

I branched out last week and bought some Jameson - i might be a convert, irish has definitely gained a space on my bar.

Harry Beanbag
9/8/2010, 10:34 PM
Buffalo Trace and Gentlemans Jack are in my regular rotation.

btk108
9/8/2010, 10:35 PM
I'm recently liking 40 Barrel Creek.

Veritas
9/8/2010, 11:24 PM
This is my new favorite Irish: http://www.knappoguewhiskey.com/

http://library.bevnetwork.com/bottles/190/67490.jpg

yankee
9/8/2010, 11:27 PM
Kentucky Deluxe :D :D :D

Oldnslo
9/9/2010, 05:41 PM
For Bourbon, try Basil Hayden OR, if you're not in Oklahoma, get as much Pappy Van Winkle 23 as you can bring back, and I'll split it with you. Best ever. In the world. For realz.

For Scotch, Macallan 12 is nice... but Macallan 18 is worth the upgrade. I don't mind blended, either. Johnny Walker Blue is overpriced, but Gold is easy to sip. and sip. and sip.

Sooner_Havok
9/9/2010, 11:16 PM
Kentucky Deluxe :D :D :D

Snob!

I personally won't go any higher than Kentucky Gentleman