PDA

View Full Version : Beer

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 02:32 PM
Let's talk about beer. I've recently moved to Miller Lite for my normal beer consumption. I'm happy with the move.

When I'm feeling cheap, I go for Natty.

Of course, this all hinges upon my ability to make it to a liquor store before nine because 3.2 is the pits. PBR! And Lionshead has good-value (and fun puzzles beneath the cap!).

sooner_born_1960
6/25/2010, 02:39 PM
The beer snobs are going to eat you up.

OhU1
6/25/2010, 02:39 PM
I am a beer snob, not by choice but because after drinking great beer over the last several years I can no longer drink the pale yellow macro brews.

However, I did purchase a 12 pack of convenience store Miller Lite last week specifically to drink after mowing my lawn. After mowing the lawn having an ice cold Miller Lite is truly great. But that's about it.

Soonerwake
6/25/2010, 02:42 PM
I'm with you Serge. Although I like a good Sierra Nevada or Red Stripe on occassion, I usually have a few Nattys in the fridge..

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 02:48 PM
I probably drink 4-5 beers a year. It makes my *** fat. I prefer good whiskey.

sooner_born_1960
6/25/2010, 02:55 PM
Wow! All that *** on just 4-5 beers. :)

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 02:58 PM
And a buttload of double cheeseburgers...

yermom
6/25/2010, 03:00 PM
my go to gas station beer is High Life. i can't stand Miller Lite for some reason. Coors Lite either.

PBR isn't bad, but i almost never buy liquor store beer since i have to chill it :rolleyes:

half the time when i do, it's Hornsby's though

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 03:15 PM
Speaking of micro brews (sort of): I stopped in at the Coach's in Bricktown a few weekends ago, and I tried the two Bricktown Brewery beers (because they were the cheapest).

And, man: THEY WERE AWFUL.

Pricetag
6/25/2010, 03:17 PM
Old Style has started appearing in Oklahoma liquor stores lately, and I've been drinking some when I hit the liquor store.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:33 PM
Honestly, High Life is not bad. I don't really like Bud and Bud Light, but Miller / Coors are ok in a pinch. I will kick you in the junk if you show up to my house with Keystone, though.

Really, though, if I'm going for the relatively cheap beers I'll grab Killian's Red or Shiner Bock.

NOTE: Please don't fall for the biggest scam in the beer world: Budweiser Golden Wheat. They talked me into trying that at a bar a couple of months ago. It's half as good as Boulevard Wheat, and cost TWICE as much as the special they were running on the Boulevard that night. Gah.

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 03:34 PM
For after mowing koolaid beer it's hard to beat Mich Ultra. Besides, it's Johnny Mack's fave.

yermom
6/25/2010, 03:36 PM
i got that for free somewhere and i was surprised how much i liked it

i'm just not a fan of Shiner. maybe it's all the Texans that drink it :D

i haven't had Killian's in a while. i used to get that a lot

soonerinabilene
6/25/2010, 03:42 PM
if its on tap ziegenbach is my favor
ite. hornsbys is a good cider,as is woodchuck. Samuel Jackson is a good motherf@cking choice too, motherf@ckers.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 03:56 PM
Cheap beer I go for Miller High Life, it is like $13 for a 30 pack. My preference is Lionshead, Bud Lt, or a good Wheat beer. I need to switch to liquor though as alcohol makes my face fat, the opposite of Dean

ouleaf
6/25/2010, 04:55 PM
if its on tap ziegenbach is my favor
ite.

Definitely love some Ziegenbach. Shiner's seasonal beers are fun to try, Stella Artois, Boulevard Wheat, Smithwicks, and the occasional Sam Adams or Killians.

In general I like trying different Microbrews at tavern type places that specialize in having a wide variety on tap, like the Flying Saucer. So many good Belgian beers there....mmmmm

Pricetag
6/25/2010, 04:57 PM
I'm a big High Life fan. When I'm looking to stay out of trouble, it's a sixer of High Life tallboys every time.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 04:58 PM
http://www.tin-signs.net/coors/d1309-coors.jpg

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 05:02 PM
Anything by New Belgium and in a pinch it's always Boulevard.

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:13 PM
Just an FYI fer the Idiots that think the 3.2 is weaker than Arkie beer or Saxet beer
Theres Is very little measurable difference. Its all in the semantics
Our cold 3.2 is 3.2 ABW which translates to 3.95 ABV
The higher content beer beer found in other states have around 4.1 or so ABV

So yer playing with yer own mind if you think it has a Bigger kick
Dumases :P

yermom
6/25/2010, 05:15 PM
that may be true for the Budweiser, etc...

the problem is that the smaller breweries don't make OK versions of their beers

StoopTroup
6/25/2010, 05:22 PM
After youve drank a 30 pack...what difference does it make if one is weaker or stronger than the other? I'm not really looking for anyone to answer that either as I know the the answer is that it doesn't make any difference.

Now...if you are an alcohol drinker like Dean...there is a difference in your liquors though. Examples are: Bacardi Dark Rum vs Bacardi 151 or Wild Turkey 80 proof vs Wild Turkey 101. Uour difference in these is whether or not you remember going to jail or beginning your next divorce when you over do it. :D

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:24 PM
that may be true for the Budweiser, etc...

the problem is that the smaller breweries don't make OK versions of their beers

The thing is bro
No Domestically brewed beer in the US can have a higher content than 6% ABW per the feds , so even then the difference is not that great when ya put it to ABV

Now IF they Brew it stronger it has to be labled a Malt liquor or some shat like that . It cant be called BEER .Plus the Feds do not allow the Brewers to to put the % on the Bottle or cans

Collier11
6/25/2010, 05:26 PM
Dont argue with VET either, he just got out of alcohol college :D

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:29 PM
Gradjeated at the top of the class :D

yermom
6/25/2010, 05:32 PM
The thing is bro
No Domestically brewed beer in the US can have a higher content than 6% ABW per the feds , so even then the difference is not that great when ya put it to ABV

Now IF they Brew it stronger it has to be labled a Malt liquor or some shat like that . It cant be called BEER .Plus the Feds do not allow the Brewers to to put the % on the Bottle or cans

i'm just saying that i can't buy most good beer cold in this retarded state

i'm not really that worried about how strong it is

SoonerInKCMO
6/25/2010, 05:37 PM
The thing is bro

You must be thinking of the laws they had in place when you were a kid right after Prohibition was repealed. ;)

Here's a list of Boulevard (http://www.beersuggest.com/brewery/49/Boulevard_Brewing_Company/) beers that range up to 8.5% abv (according to my cipherin' that's about 6.9% abw). And I have a bottle of Full Sail IPA in front of me that says it's 6.0% abv right on the bottle. :drink:

StoopTroup
6/25/2010, 05:41 PM
Malt Likker on a log!

l9nrBhjP89I

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 05:43 PM
I was about to say - I have friends in Atlanta, and they just changed the laws down there a couple of years ago. The microbrewers down there called it "beer independence day" because they could all finally use their old European recipes that go up to about 15%. ;)

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:45 PM
Yer right These laws do go back to the repeal Of Prohibition and Okla. State hood
Bro yer Link just reinforced what I said
the 8. stuff is NOT called a BEER ;)

Dave yer right in that No Beer in excess of 3.2 can be sold cold in the state .
We need to get the senators and shat on this right now .;)

StoopTroup
6/25/2010, 05:45 PM
WILD TURKEY 101 CHUG!

Gobble Gobble! :D

hTXc8T62jNU

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:46 PM
I was about to say - I have friends in Atlanta, and they just changed the laws down there a couple of years ago. The microbrewers down there called it "beer independence day" because they could all finally use their old European recipes that go up to about 15%. ;)

Then its changed nation wide bro
Cause thats a Fed Law about the beer
Now member I said they can brew it stronger , Just cant call it BEER ;)

StoopTroup
6/25/2010, 05:50 PM
This touches on Georgia's law regarding the change from 6% to 14%

http://beeramerica.tv/why-a-limit-on-abv/

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 05:51 PM
When it comes to beer I know a little bit
when it comes to BREWIN i know I know so more ;)

SoonerInKCMO
6/25/2010, 05:58 PM
I know ain't nobody arguin' with me about beer. :mad:

Check out this page from Boulevard (http://www.boulevard.com/smokestack/) - click on The Sixth Glass and then Brewer's notes - they call it a beer and it's 10.5% ABV.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more beer in the fridge that needs drankin'.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 06:04 PM
Dave yer right in that No Beer in excess of 3.2 can be sold cold in the state .
We need to get the senators and shat on this right now .;)

This is the law that seems retarded to me. It doesn't prevent anyone from drinking - all it does is prevent Oklahomans from having access to products made by companies that refuse to ship their products anywhere that isn't refrigerated (New Belgium, for one).

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 06:49 PM
I know ain't nobody arguin' with me about beer. :mad:

Check out this page from Boulevard (http://www.boulevard.com/smokestack/) - click on The Sixth Glass and then Brewer's notes - they call it a beer and it's 10.5% ABV.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more beer in the fridge that needs drankin'.

Now yer gettin in the Semantics bro, YOU can Call it beer , They can call it beer on their website
But correct me if Im wrong cause I dont drank the stuff, But isnt it Labeled and packaged as an ALE ?

Alls Im a sayin is Domestic BEER can not By Fed Regs exceed 6.0 and still be Called BEER , Now if thats just in packaging I dont know.
Cold beer in OK cannot exceed 3.2. the stuff every one thinks is so much
Mo Potent in Arky and saxet aint

Its all brewed in the same vats ;)
Now Yall wanta get off on the other beers and shat I know nuthin :D

Pricetag
6/25/2010, 07:47 PM
Just an FYI fer the Idiots that think the 3.2 is weaker than Arkie beer or Saxet beer
Theres Is very little measurable difference. Its all in the semantics
Our cold 3.2 is 3.2 ABW which translates to 3.95 ABV
The higher content beer beer found in other states have around 4.1 or so ABV

So yer playing with yer own mind if you think it has a Bigger kick
Dumases :P
I agree. The non-3.2 beer does taste a little better to me, though.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 09:10 PM
Now yer gettin in the Semantics bro, YOU can Call it beer , They can call it beer on their website
But correct me if Im wrong cause I dont drank the stuff, But isnt it Labeled and packaged as an ALE ?

Alls Im a sayin is Domestic BEER can not By Fed Regs exceed 6.0 and still be Called BEER , Now if thats just in packaging I dont know.
Cold beer in OK cannot exceed 3.2. the stuff every one thinks is so much
Mo Potent in Arky and saxet aint

Its all brewed in the same vats ;)
Now Yall wanta get off on the other beers and shat I know nuthin :D

I think ale is just a type of beer, like lager, pilsner, stout, porter, etc.

btk108
6/25/2010, 11:10 PM
Boulevard with and orange slice....unless I can find a good Guiness

JohnnyMack
6/26/2010, 07:45 AM
Then its changed nation wide bro
Cause thats a Fed Law about the beer
Now member I said they can brew it stronger , Just cant call it BEER ;)

Yeah apparently that law changed sometime after you helped your friend Patrick Henry right that bill. :D

OhU1
6/26/2010, 02:15 PM
Ale is beer. Lager is the other major kind. Ale is made with ale yeast, lager with lager yeast. Stout, porter, IPA, pale ale, barley wine, abbey, trappist, are all types of ales. Bud, Miller, Coors and almost all mass market beer is the same narrow style of beer - pale lagers.

nmsoonergirl
6/26/2010, 03:05 PM
About the whole refrigerated Fat Tire thing....I always thought Fat Tire (New Belgium) wasn't sold in OKC because they refused to sell it warm, but then I noticed that they sell it warm in A LOT of stores here, so that's not actually the issue. Does anyone know what the scoop is?

yermom
6/26/2010, 03:43 PM
New Belgium won't ship it warm, but they can't do much about stores not keeping it cold

it does seem to get kinda skunky when it gets warm IMO

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2010, 04:34 PM
The thing is bro

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I did a quick search on the CFR database and didn't find any regulation prohibiting domestic brewing of beer over 6%. It might be there, I just didn't see it.

Alabama just raised their cap from 6% to like 14%, and they did it in part so that domestic microbrews could be sold in Alabama.

olevetonahill
6/26/2010, 04:59 PM
Mike , the way I understand it is If its CALLED beer it cant be more than 6
The brewers can brew stronger , Just cant label it as beer

Tulsa_Fireman
6/26/2010, 05:42 PM
Ale is beer. Lager is the other major kind. Ale is made with ale yeast, lager with lager yeast. Stout, porter, IPA, pale ale, barley wine, abbey, trappist, are all types of ales. Bud, Miller, Coors and almost all mass market beer is the same narrow style of beer - pale lagers.

This, plus temperature.

Ales can be brewed at higher temperatures whereas most lager yeasts require cooler temps at fermentation.

One kicker on stouts and porters though is that most aren't considered lagers. Hence the difference between a schwarzbier and a porter. A schwarzbier, also known as a black lager, is a lagered beer with similar ingredients, usually darker roasted barleys and black malt. From my understanding, a TRUE porter (and by proxy, a stout) is actually a malt liquor.

I'm sure there's enough variants between the two that the line is pretty blurred, but there is definitely a difference in a black lager and a porter (and/or stout).

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 05:50 PM
This, plus temperature.

Ales can be brewed at higher temperatures whereas most lager yeasts require cooler temps at fermentation.

One kicker on stouts and porters though is that most aren't considered lagers. Hence the difference between a schwarzbier and a porter. A schwarzbier, also known as a black lager, is a lagered beer with similar ingredients, usually darker roasted barleys and black malt. From my understanding, a TRUE porter (and by proxy, a stout) is actually a malt liquor.

I'm sure there's enough variants between the two that the line is pretty blurred, but there is definitely a difference in a black lager and a porter (and/or stout).

I just drink the stuff.