PDA

View Full Version : USC to NCAA: "You big meanies....."

Salt City Sooner
6/25/2010, 01:59 PM
Southern California, penalized earlier this month for a lack of institutional control, on Friday filed an appeal with the NCAA asking that certain findings of the Committee on Infractions be overturned and some of the penalties be reduced.

The USC football program was given a two-year bowl ban, four years' probation, loss of scholarships and forfeits of an entire year's games for improper benefits to Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush dating to the Trojans' 2004 national championship.

USC is asking that the two-year postseason ban in football be reduced to one year, and that the scholarship penalties in football for the 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years be reduced to five rather than 10 each year.

"We are hopeful that the NCAA Infractions Appeals Committee will agree with our position on appeal, and reduce the penalties," said Todd Dickey, USC's senior vice president for administration.

Pending consideration of its appeal, USC said it will implement the bowl ban for the coming season and certain scholarship-related penalties in football. The university also said it was satisfied with the NCAA's determination that the Trojans' self-imposed penalties on the men's basketball and women's tennis programs were sufficient.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5328194

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 02:00 PM
http://thatsonpoint.blogspot.com/Scottcartman.gif

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 02:03 PM
Dear USC.

Your athletic director stated that our investigation was driven by an extreme jealousy of your program.

**** you.

Signed,

NCAA

yermom
6/25/2010, 02:05 PM
since PC is gone, i do think it's a bit harsh

EDIT: but Leroid does have a point

i'll refer back to Sir Chewbacca's South Park reference

Flagstaffsooner
6/25/2010, 02:08 PM
SUC can go to hell.

KantoSooner
6/25/2010, 02:08 PM
I agree, it's too harsh. Instead, why don't we just penalize them all 30 schollies in one season.
BUT, let's make this a sporting proposition: USC will not be told which season. Just sometime in the next ten years, BOOM, 30 schollies gone. A tad hard on the athletes, but then they could just avoid the risk by not going to USC.
I see nothing unfair in that.

oudavid1
6/25/2010, 02:17 PM
I agree, it's too harsh. Instead, why don't we just penalize them all 30 schollies in one season.
BUT, let's make this a sporting proposition: USC will not be told which season. Just sometime in the next ten years, BOOM, 30 schollies gone. A tad hard on the athletes, but then they could just avoid the risk by not going to USC.
I see nothing unfair in that.

or better yet, we tell them that if Lane Kiffin dresses up like a girl and walks down the street in Knoxville, we'll let it go. Go Vols!

badger
6/25/2010, 02:35 PM
What is the biggest rule of Judge Judy?

Is it "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining?" No.

Is it "Beauty fades, dumb is forever?" No.

It is this: If you partially pay a debt, it's admitting that you owe something. A dude trying to say that the money was a gift that paid back a few hundred is admitting that he thought it was a loan. A chick who refuses to pay rent and bills now that once paid rent and bills for awhile admits that she owed money for both.

So, what does Judge Judy think when USC is agreeing to a bowl ban and some scholarship reductions?

IT'S ADMITTING THAT IT IS GUILTY!

If only the Trojans had admitted this guilt before the punishments went down... alas, Judge Judy will declare a judgment for the plantiff in the amount of two years of bowl bans and 10 schollys reduced each season for four seasons.

C'mon, Trojans. Isn't Judge Judy filmed in your backyard aka Hollywood?

;)

jaux
6/25/2010, 03:07 PM
My favorite Judy line is:
"that comes under the heading of 'too bad'"

goingoneight
6/25/2010, 03:34 PM
Before the banhammer dropped:
"We did nothing wrong."
When it dropped:
"It's cuz we're USC, ain't it?"
After a bit of time to accept being caught red-handed:
"Well, yeah... I guess we did know about THAT part... So yeah, we were Wuh... we were wuh-ruh... we were wro... (sighs deeply) we were wrong (vomits).
"So, we said we were sorry and stuff, Daddy... can we have our dessert (post-season) back tomorrow night? Oh, and we'll be expecting some of those toys back, too... chop-chop!"

IMO, the NCAA uncovered a lot more than one prima donna player with his hand in the cookie jar to drop the hammer on them like they did. And I don't think the "failure to cooperate" thing did them in, either.

sooner59
6/25/2010, 04:24 PM
They could have possibly gotten a lighter sentence.....if they would have just complied with the NCAA immediately like we did with the Blowmar situation. They went all in hoping the NCAA was bluffing. Then the NCAA threw down a straight flush. Stings, doesn't it SUC?

fadada1
6/25/2010, 04:27 PM
when i was an RA back a few years ago in walker tower, i opened my very first meeting with, "if you think you're doing something wrong, you're probably right." a few minutes later in my speech i said, "i can't stop you from drinking in your room, and i won't try to... but if you get caught (and you will), admit it and take your punishment like a man."

i heard so many positive things from other RAs when my guys got caught (because they did get caught).

maybe USC could learn something from this simple life lesson.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 04:33 PM
IMO, the NCAA uncovered a lot more than one prima donna player with his hand in the cookie jar to drop the hammer on them like they did. And I don't think the "failure to cooperate" thing did them in, either.

I think the failure to cooperate was most of it, actually. Look at Bama. They had a huge textbook scam that they noticed on their own and turned themselves in. The NCAA said that they acted like a model program when it came to cooperation. And they got a very light sentence.

The NCAA knows that institutions cannot stop violations. But they do expect the institutions to do their best in stopping them and, when unsuccessful, doing their best to help the NCAA get to the bottom of things.

BoulderSooner79
6/25/2010, 05:09 PM
since PC is gone, i do think it's a bit harsh

EDIT: but Leroid does have a point

i'll refer back to Sir Chewbacca's South Park reference

Lack of institutional control goes beyond the coach and goes back to, well, the institution. It does seem unfair on who ends up getting punished, especially when the process takes so long. But if they reduced penalties because a coach moves on, then all schools would just drag their feet as USC did and then just claim all guilty parties are gone as coaches tend to move a lot. Or maybe just fire the coach when he gets caught and plead for a clean slate.

But I wouldn't be shocked if they do get some concessions.

badger
6/25/2010, 05:25 PM
Someday, when Reggie Bush and OJ Mayo's pro careers are over and all of their millions got blown on moochers and expensive cars, they're going to wish that they had an alma mater's shoulder to cry on. Alas, the NCAA prohibits USC from even mentioning them, let along having any contact or association with them.

Or maybe, they won't be like almost every other pro athlete out there, not blow their money and be rich after they inevitably retire :rolleyes:

btk108
6/25/2010, 11:17 PM
Dear USC.

Your athletic director stated that our investigation was driven by an extreme jealousy of your program.

**** you.

Signed,

NCAA

Man..this is almost worth a green spek.

goingoneight
6/26/2010, 01:07 AM
Make Pete Carroll wear orange for the next four years... that's gotta sting.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 01:22 AM
I find it amazing that they welcome OJ to practice to sign autographs but vilify Reggie Bush.

Flagstaffsooner
6/26/2010, 04:49 AM
WE ARE SUC, WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WANT.

IronHorseSooner
6/26/2010, 09:18 AM
As most know, of course, Bush and mayo weren't the only two. There were reports about Jarrett being on the take, and, if I'm correct, there were sexual abuse charges with Sanchez that just "disappeared." Also, don't forget the Joe McKnight "my girlfriend's car" incident. I could be a little wrong on some of those, so please correct me if I am.

BoulderSooner79
6/26/2010, 04:13 PM
I find it amazing that they welcome OJ to practice to sign autographs but vilify Reggie Bush.

That's because all OJ did was turn 2 people into Pez dispensers; he didn't get the school in trouble with the NCAA.

tulsaoilerfan
6/26/2010, 04:16 PM

Is OJ on work release or something? :D

Octavian
6/27/2010, 01:00 AM
Richard Vernon: You're not fooling anyone, Bender. The next screw that falls out will be you.

John Bender: Eat my shorts.

Richard Vernon: What was that?

John Bender: Eat... My... Shorts.

Richard Vernon: You just bought yourself another Saturday.

John Bender: Ooh, I'm crushed.

Richard Vernon: You just bought one more.

John Bender: Well I'm free the Saturday after that. Beyond that, I'm going to have to check my calendar.

Richard Vernon: Good, cause it's going to be filled. We'll keep going. You want another one? Just say the word say it. Instead of going to prison you'll come here. Are you through?

John Bender: No.

Richard Vernon: I'm doing society a favor.

John Bender: So?

Richard Vernon: That's another one right now! I've got you for the rest of your natural born life if you don't watch your step. You want another one?

John Bender: Yes.

Richard Vernon: You got it! You got another one right there! That's another one pal!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3839/breakfastclub7.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3839/breakfastclub7.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

SC should be slapped with another year just for whining

Leroy Lizard
6/27/2010, 01:04 AM

They welcome him. That doesn't mean he can oblige. :)

yermom
6/27/2010, 01:06 AM
Richard Vernon: You're not fooling anyone, Bender. The next screw that falls out will be you.

John Bender: Eat my shorts.

Richard Vernon: What was that?

John Bender: Eat... My... Shorts.

Richard Vernon: You just bought yourself another Saturday.

John Bender: Ooh, I'm crushed.

Richard Vernon: You just bought one more.

John Bender: Well I'm free the Saturday after that. Beyond that, I'm going to have to check my calendar.

Richard Vernon: Good, cause it's going to be filled. We'll keep going. You want another one? Just say the word say it. Instead of going to prison you'll come here. Are you through?

John Bender: No.

Richard Vernon: I'm doing society a favor.

John Bender: So?

Richard Vernon: That's another one right now! I've got you for the rest of your natural born life if you don't watch your step. You want another one?

John Bender: Yes.

Richard Vernon: You got it! You got another one right there! That's another one pal!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3839/breakfastclub7.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3839/breakfastclub7.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us)

SC should be slapped with another year just for whining

is someone else next?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/columbia_pictures/not_another_teen_movie/paul_gleason/teen2.jpg

Octavian
6/27/2010, 01:07 AM
we can only hope ;)

stoopified
6/27/2010, 07:28 AM
All that big money rolling into theOrange Cow bank accounts,it is just a matter of time before they get caught again.

diegosooner
6/27/2010, 08:38 AM

I had forgotten all about that. Nevada prison.

TAFBSooner
6/27/2010, 07:43 PM
“To knock a thing down, especially if it is cocked at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight of the blood.”

George Santayana