PDA

View Full Version : Source of the feud between Semore/Cochell "factions?"

NMSooner'80
6/25/2010, 01:56 PM
I would assume it has to do with how Cochell was hired over Stan Meek for the head coaching job after the disastrous '90 season. I didn't live in Oklahoma then, so I don't know the "behind the scenes" story there.

I'd also guess that there's still some hard feelings over Ray Hayward's firing (he played for Semore) as pitching coach by Cochell. Or maybe it's partly because of the ill-fated Gene Stephenson (ex-Semore assistant) hiring in '05.

But, it does seem rather ridiculous that you even hear rumors that guys from the "Semore faction" root against OU because they want to see Golloway fail. I don't get it.

Sooner04
6/25/2010, 02:28 PM
I think it has more to do with Hayward than anything. It's not like this is an isolated thing at OU. Hell, how long did Switzer have to put up with the griping from the 49ers (Wilkinson's early players)?

stoopified
6/25/2010, 04:05 PM
I think Semore pushing for the hiring of Stephenson over Cochell had a lot to do with it. Meek was run off in favor of Cochell because he followed a legend and flopped while Cochel was already an established NAME coach.

owenfieldreams
6/26/2010, 08:35 AM
I would remind those who want to use Switzer's hiring and any perception that those early Wilkinson players were against it to remember that it was one of those "49ers" who hired Switzer.

All such decisions bring with them some sort of dissent. Hell, there were people questioning Joe C.'s decision to hire an inexperienced D-coordinator as our football coach.

Sooner04
6/26/2010, 10:17 PM
In regard to the "49ers", I was referring more to the trouble Switzer got out of those guys in the early 80s when he went through his dark period.

I mean, how hard is it to get mad at a guy who doesn't lose a game until his third season as head coach?

Collier11
6/27/2010, 01:08 AM
Hayward was not suited to be a head coach