PDA

View Full Version : Wedding planner? Catering?

nmsoonergirl
6/24/2010, 04:43 PM
Obviously, I'm asking around places BESIDES an OU football board :O ,
But I know there have been some recent SF weddings and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a wedding planner (I would probably be fine with just a day of coordinator).
Also, has anyone attended any events catered by Abbey Road Catering in Norman? The pictures on their facebook site make their food look awful, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually tasted it?

TIA....

NormanPride
6/25/2010, 09:41 AM
We did our own planning, I believe. I've never understood the idea of a wedding planner... I mean, you can buy all the stuff you need yourself, and if you just do a little research you can create the wedding you want without paying some weirdo a ton of moolah to "create magic".

Catering is nice, though. There are some really good ones in Tulsa, but I doubt that helps. Sorry...

MR2-Sooner86
6/25/2010, 10:12 AM
Elope to Vegas.

About as cheap as you can get.

NormanPride
6/25/2010, 10:18 AM
Unless you gamble. :D

nmsoonergirl
6/25/2010, 12:54 PM
Np, you don't understand the point of a planner because you all are young, energetic, and didn't plan a wedding in a city 550 miles away from where you live. I don't need any "magic"...I just want someone to make sure the chairs get delivered on time. Believe me, writing someone a check to handle the wedding minutia is WELL worth it to me.

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 01:37 PM
Unless you gamble. :D

Aint gettin Married the Biggest Gamble of all ?:D

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 01:58 PM
Do they already have a place picked out for the wedding and reception?

GKeeper316
6/25/2010, 02:33 PM
marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries.

Jacie
6/25/2010, 04:15 PM
Planners, coordinators or whatever you call them provide a service beyond ordering the things people want to have on their wedding day. The main thing is, assuming they are competent at their job, they ensure that things will go smoothly on the special day, so there is no need for anyone to be a fill-in-the-blank 'zilla.

For most people, a wedding day is the culmination of months of planning. While some try to do it on the cheap, doing as much as possible themselves (or recruiting relatives to do things for them), having someone paid to see to it that the everyone and everything are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there is better than aspirin and will mean you won't have to take one for the headache you will get trying to do it all yourself and enjoy the day.

nmsoonergirl
6/25/2010, 11:17 PM
Dean, I think we are going with Red Prime for the reception....not sure about the ceremony. NCED was on my short list...but Mr. NMS really wanted to do something in downtown okc (80 percent of the guests are coming from out of town, and there is more to do in OKC....but if I were having the wedding in Norman, it would be at NCED for sure. How is the food there?

And yes, Jacie, if I were 24, had a lot of free time, and lived in town I might skip a planner. The nice thing about getting married at 38 is that you know exactly what is worth spending money on, and for me, a planner is one of those things....

Sparky
6/27/2010, 11:27 PM
I'm a conference planner/on-site manager. I've hired Abbey Road to cater some events and would recommend their food. I can't claim to be a wedding planner--I'm ever the bridesmaid--but I could help with the day-of management, or recommend someone. Just let me know--PM me. :o)

OUwinsagain
6/29/2010, 07:24 AM
Heather Leonard
http://www.bellaweddingshl.com/

C&CDean
6/29/2010, 08:55 AM
Dean, I think we are going with Red Prime for the reception....not sure about the ceremony. NCED was on my short list...but Mr. NMS really wanted to do something in downtown okc (80 percent of the guests are coming from out of town, and there is more to do in OKC....but if I were having the wedding in Norman, it would be at NCED for sure. How is the food there?

And yes, Jacie, if I were 24, had a lot of free time, and lived in town I might skip a planner. The nice thing about getting married at 38 is that you know exactly what is worth spending money on, and for me, a planner is one of those things....

The food is as good as you want it to be. There's multiple packages/menus available. Good rates on rooms too.

Of course it's not really a Red Prime kinda place, but it's alright.

Good luck with the whole dealio, and follow this sage advice:

Never spend more on the wedding than what a good divorce costs.

nmsoonergirl
6/29/2010, 10:30 AM
Dean, if we stick with our original venue (Cobblestone Creek Golf Club in Norman), we'll be staying at NCED for our room block.

Thanks everyone for your help!

soonerbrat
6/29/2010, 11:12 AM
i'm confused...do you still need catering? this place is excellent:

http://www.auntpittypatscatering.com/

soonerbrat
6/29/2010, 11:13 AM
and if you need a good videography company:

http://www.video-legacy.com/

be sure to check out Laura & Luke's wedding in the portfolio - they had the reception at Memorial Stadium at OU

Lott's Bandana
6/29/2010, 01:40 PM
Abbey Road did a good friend's shindig last weekend. She is themother of the bride and was very pleased

olevetonahill
6/30/2010, 02:32 AM
Planners, coordinators or whatever you call them provide a service beyond ordering the things people want to have on their wedding day. The main thing is, assuming they are competent at their job, they ensure that things will go smoothly on the special day, so there is no need for anyone to be a fill-in-the-blank 'zilla.

For most people, a wedding day is the culmination of months of planning. While some try to do it on the cheap, doing as much as possible themselves (or recruiting relatives to do things for them), having someone paid to see to it that the everyone and everything are where they are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there is better than aspirin and will mean you won't have to take one for the headache you will get trying to do it all yourself and enjoy the day.

So then a Divorce attorney up front?