PDA

View Full Version : Sooners in NBA Draft

badger
6/24/2010, 11:31 AM
They might not have stayed very long in Norman.
http://frathousesports.com/wp-content/uploads/Oklahoma-Keith-Gallon.jpg
They might have caught the ire of Coach Capel a few too many times.
http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2222888.jpg

But, still wish them well. Draft's at 7 p.m. Oklahoma time tonight on ESPN.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/24/2010, 02:22 PM
Agreed, have to wish the kids well but I think WW is the only one who has a decent shot of being taken.

Eielson
6/24/2010, 02:36 PM
Myeh.

badger
6/24/2010, 03:07 PM
Tiny's projected in ESPN's second at this point, as is WW. No work on TMG... not that anyone was expecting him to get drafted.

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/24/2010, 03:30 PM
WOW Tiny must have done a lot since he declared to jump into the second round. I never remember hearing him even sniffing the second round before. TMG is no surprise.....hope he enjoys European bball or the D league.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/24/2010, 03:35 PM
WOW Tiny must have done a lot since he declared to jump into the second round. I never remember hearing him even sniffing the second round before. TMG is no surprise.....hope he enjoys European bball or the D league.

Tiny won't slip outta the 2nd round and with some hard work he could be a decent player in the NBA. Willie well be a good player if the right team gets him. TMG, well, we may never hear from him again... I wish all those guys the best of luck though.

the_ouskull
6/24/2010, 03:56 PM
There's still a chance that Keith could be taken - on a flier - in the late first round, if an offense-deprived-enough team still needs a REALLY big big man...

...like, the kind of man that would throw his own mom under the bus...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5317787

I don't wish him sh*t. Speak for yourselves, people. I wish OU all the best. He's not a Sooner. He was a merc.

the_ouskull

badger
6/24/2010, 04:09 PM
Speak for yourselves, people. I wish OU all the best. He's not a Sooner. He was a merc.

the_ouskull

I always speak for myself... even if I don't sign my posts with my screenname ;)

Eielson
6/24/2010, 09:09 PM
Big XII Players drafted in the first round:

6. Ekpe Udoh - Warriors
11. Cole Aldrich - Hornets
12. Xavier Henry - Grizzlies
19. Avery Bradley - Celtics
20. James Anderson - Spurs
21. Craig Brackins - Thunder
24. Damion James - Hawks

sooner59
6/24/2010, 10:19 PM
Tiny to the Bucks.

badger
6/24/2010, 10:20 PM
He's actually in the crowd??!?!

They're letting him come on stage for the second round?!?!?!?

The New York crowd is chanting his name?!??!?!

:D well, if my packers can't have a sooner, at least my bucks can

Eielson
6/24/2010, 10:21 PM
He's actually in the crowd??!?!

They're letting him come on stage for the second round?!?!?!?

The New York crowd is chanting his name?!??!?!

:D well, if my packers can't have a sooner, at least my bucks can

You're a Bucks fan?! HAHAHA! :P

tulsaoilerfan
6/24/2010, 10:28 PM
can't figure out why anyone would take a flyer on a guy with as many issues as this guy has

sooner59
6/24/2010, 10:34 PM
The dude has a tattoo on his neck reading, "misunderstood". That's all I need to know in order to pass on him in the NBA. I figured Denver would have drafted him in the first round, honestly. ;)

yankee
6/24/2010, 10:48 PM
Willie and Blake reunited!!!

rawlingsHOH
6/24/2010, 11:39 PM

didnt know they still had a team

SoonerGrant
6/25/2010, 12:09 AM
I can't wait to see what BG and WW do next season.

Blake has some competition for Rookie of the Year from this draft though.

the_ouskull
6/25/2010, 02:03 AM
This is an anemic draft. Who is his comp? John Wall, sharing the ball with Agent Zero and now Heinrich too...? Turner, playing the same position as Iggy? Blake's still an early favorite...

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
6/25/2010, 07:13 AM
These guys may have passed through OU land, but I coulda give a rats *ss if they'd all gone undrafted.

sooner518
6/25/2010, 08:07 AM
I wish WW all the best. I feel like he got kind of a bad rap and last season was just a nightmare for him.

Tiny....I dont really know if I believe that he didnt take any money or not. so I guess I dont mind seeing him do well

TMG... despite being our best player last year, all signs point to him being a cancer in the locker room. plus he was really stupid to come out and has no chance of being in the NBA anytime soon. so, yea, not a fan

sooner518
6/25/2010, 08:26 AM
agh double post.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/25/2010, 08:51 AM
This is an anemic draft. Who is his comp? John Wall, sharing the ball with Agent Zero and now Heinrich too...? Turner, playing the same position as Iggy? Blake's still an early favorite...

the_ouskull

You obviously don't watch much b-ball. Gilbert Arenas may be traded. Iggy plays SF and Evan Turner can play the 1 or 2 guard. Wes Johnson from 'Cuse will be a great player and maybe a superstar one day. Derrick Favors will be a beast. Greg Monroe will be an instant impact in Detroit. And John Wall is John Wall. So yeah, Big Blake has more than enough of comp. for ROY.

starrca23
6/25/2010, 08:59 AM
Tiny blamed his Mom, "She did it..." He sold out his own mother!!!

badger
6/25/2010, 09:02 AM
Tiny blamed his Mom, "She did it..." He sold out his own mother!!!

Wait a sec... it isn't illegal for his mother to accept a wire transfer of money, especially considering the reasoning behind it (to pay for her son's schooling).

Why is it so wrong to say that it was his mother that accepted the money? Who is to say that she didn't just take out a loan?

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2010, 09:07 AM
Wow. Who'd have guessed that a short, overweight point guard who's lazy on defense wouldn't get drafted?

stoops the eternal pimp
6/25/2010, 09:50 AM
There's still a chance that Keith could be taken - on a flier - in the late first round, if an offense-deprived-enough team still needs a REALLY big big man...

...like, the kind of man that would throw his own mom under the bus...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5317787

I don't wish him sh*t. Speak for yourselves, people. I wish OU all the best. He's not a Sooner. He was a merc.

the_ouskull

This

These guys may have passed through OU land, but I coulda give a rats *ss if they'd all gone undrafted.

And this

I don't have any ill will towards them but I don't wish them success either...

badger
6/25/2010, 10:19 AM

I know... pathetic, right? NP has convinced me to cheer for his Spurs too, so at least I have a team in the postseason with a chance of winning.

Whenever he gets too whiny about the Spurs not getting another title, I usually go into a rant about "Ohhhh, poooorrr Spurs fan has to settle for a mere FOUR titles since '99 instead of five. Boo hoo!"

I can understand people not caring about these guys anymore now that they're outta OU. I promise that I'll just stick with my little 'Hottest' poll and current-Sooner talk the rest of the offseason :)

Eielson
6/25/2010, 01:29 PM
You obviously don't watch much b-ball. Gilbert Arenas may be traded. Iggy plays SF and Evan Turner can play the 1 or 2 guard. Wes Johnson from 'Cuse will be a great player and maybe a superstar one day. Derrick Favors will be a beast. Greg Monroe will be an instant impact in Detroit. And John Wall is John Wall. So yeah, Big Blake has more than enough of comp. for ROY.

I don't think you remember how good Blake Griffin his sophomore year at OU. If you did, you would not mention some of these guys in the same breath. I'm not saying Blake is an absolute lock to win ROY, but he isn't going to have competition from people like Greg Monroe or Derrick Favors.

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 03:07 PM
I had season tickets and went to every home basketball game during Blake's sophomore year.

Man, that season rocked! There wasn't very many people there, and it was easy to move down to good seats close to the action. And then you got to watch Blake flying and dunking and blocking all over the court. It was beautiful!

At any rate, I say Blake is the front-runner for the ROY right now if he's anywhere close to last year's form--this current rookie class is underwhelming, to say the least. I'm really excited to see him back on the hardwood.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 03:52 PM
I don't think you remember how good Blake Griffin his sophomore year at OU. If you did, you would not mention some of these guys in the same breath. I'm not saying Blake is an absolute lock to win ROY, but he isn't going to have competition from people like Greg Monroe or Derrick Favors.

Favors and Monroe will struggle in their rookie years, I think that is a safe bet

Scott D
6/25/2010, 04:18 PM
I don't know that Monroe will struggle, but at this point I don't know how big of a role he'll be expected to play as a rookie especially if they do indeed keep Ben Wallace around. At this point I'm leaning more toward Monroe coming off of the bench in a Jerebko style.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 04:56 PM
Monroe is limited offensively, Favors isnt great offensively from what I saw

cheezyq
6/25/2010, 04:59 PM
Ok, someone fill me in - how can you get ROY when you're not a rookie anymore? I know he was injured all of last season, but that doesn't make him a rookie again does it?

Eielson
6/25/2010, 05:00 PM
Favors isn't an instant impact guy. They picked him for the future. Monroe just isn't on the same planet as Blake talent-wise.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 05:01 PM
Ok, someone fill me in - how can you get ROY when you're not a rookie anymore? I know he was injured all of last season, but that doesn't make him a rookie again does it?

Blake is still a rookie because he never had a rookie season

Eielson
6/25/2010, 05:02 PM

A rookie is a person with no prior NBA experience.

the_ouskull
6/25/2010, 05:43 PM

I watch more basketball in my sleep than you do at basketball watch parties with multiple televisions.

- Gilbert MAY be traded. That's not the word coming from D.C. or anything. Kevin Durant MAY be traded. LeBron MAY be signed-and-traded. Bruce Willis MAY not save us all from an asteroid.

- Iggy MAY play the small forward position. I guess that that means that Jason Kopono plays the two? That would explain their defensive issues. Turner has good, but not elite athleticism. Iggy has elite athleticism. Twos are faster, generally, than threes. Who would you rather have guarding faster players? A slower player, or a faster one?

Oh, and there's the whole "their own f*cking depth chart lists him as a three" thing...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/PHI (scroll down to "most frequent lineup" while you're at it...)

AND there's the whole, "Evan Turner can play the one," thing you spewed up. Since when? Being forced to do it because you aren't scared to handle the ball isn't the same thing as being a one, full-time. Terrell Everett played the one for OU too. Prolly wasn't a good idea for him to do it, though. Ditto with Turner. If they had anybody else that could successfully get the team into their offense, they'd have done it. I mean, don't get me wrong, as NOT a fan of the 76ers, I love the idea of Turner running the point for them. But being forced to do it in college out of necessity and dropping off a 4.4 turnover per game average doesn't bode well for your ability to run the point at the next level. And, I've already discussed his defensive abilities compared to those of Iguodala.

- Wes Johnson? Yeah, 'cause uber skinny forwards from the Orange have done so well up to this point, no? (GET BACK IN YOUR CAVE, HAKIM WARRICK!) He's going to be 23 by the time the season starts. And, as a grown man, he averaged 16 points per game. He'll come in right away and fill a lot of needs for a team that has a lot of needs, but he's never going to be a star.

- Derrick Favors will be a beast...

Potentially, sure. But he wasn't "a beast" in college, and typically that's where dominance begins. Dwight Howard is a good comparison for this guy right now, and he didn't scare anybody his first couple of seasons. I like my beasts to average more than 8.4 boards per game in college, for starters. More than 12 points and change, too.

- Greg Monroe. Yeah, as if Jeff Green, v. 2.0 strikes fear into any hearts. Also, how well is a non-athletic, non-hustling big man who shoots 3's with the stroke of Rasheed Wallace (and that's NOT a positive trait) going to fit into Ben Wallace's locker room? Instant impact? Perhaps. A positive one? Eh? A positive enough one to win RoY? Neh.

- John Wall. He's the challenger, at least at this point... (Unless Greg Oden is still eligible...) ..and he's been playing, so he's got the hype and the momentum. Also, since Wall's a guard, he'll have the ball in his hands more often, so he'll have more opportunities than Blake to make himself look good. But, is he a better player? Well, as long as he doesn't p*ss off Gilbert at the first team meeting, and f*ck around and get shot, maybe we'll get to find out.

- Variables: Washington trading Arenas or Heinrich would help Wall's case a lot. Avery Johnson getting the Nets winning will get attention going Favors' way. Philly trading Iggy would help Turner's stats, but probably not his development. I'm not really sweating anything else. Healthy Blake > The Class of 2010.

the_ouskull

OKC-SLC
6/25/2010, 05:53 PM
the_ouskpwned

Scott D
6/25/2010, 10:16 PM
Monroe is limited offensively, Favors isnt great offensively from what I saw

But still, what defines struggling? If Monroe isn't getting 25-30 minutes a game as a rookie is that considered struggling? or is it considered bringing a rookie along slowly.

Eielson
6/25/2010, 10:29 PM
But still, what defines struggling? If Monroe isn't getting 25-30 minutes a game as a rookie is that considered struggling? or is it considered bringing a rookie along slowly.

It's called not Blake Griffin!

btk108
6/25/2010, 11:15 PM
missed it...did anyone pick TMG?

Collier11
6/25/2010, 11:33 PM
hell now, who would want that thug

ndpruitt03
6/26/2010, 01:12 AM
I'm not even sure why OU wanted him.

Frozen Sooner
6/26/2010, 01:40 AM
missed it...did anyone pick TMG?

Wow. Who'd have guessed that a short, overweight point guard who's lazy on defense wouldn't get drafted?

:P

badger
6/26/2010, 12:13 PM
I'm not even sure why OU wanted him.

Alas, I think it had a lot to do with his Mickie D All-American status. This applies to TMG, Tiny and WW. They're All-American high school recruits, so of course we want to pursue All-Americans.

Seeing Capel recruit players that are marginal prospects, but also very hard workers that really want to come to OU, makes me happy about the team for the first time since last season started about Sooner mens basketball.

Having Blake Griffin around spoiled me... and we may not see another player like him, so dedicated to OU, such a hard worker, such a talented athlete... for awhile. I'll be fine with that... so long as we don't just recruit AA's because they're AA's.

Capel's young. I think he learned his lesson.

stoopified
6/27/2010, 06:56 AM
What,no POY love for Cole Aldrich of the THUNDER?

Frozen Sooner
6/27/2010, 08:10 AM
Alas, I think it had a lot to do with his Mickie D All-American status. This applies to TMG, Tiny and WW. They're All-American high school recruits, so of course we want to pursue All-Americans.

Seeing Capel recruit players that are marginal prospects, but also very hard workers that really want to come to OU, makes me happy about the team for the first time since last season started about Sooner mens basketball.

Having Blake Griffin around spoiled me... and we may not see another player like him, so dedicated to OU, such a hard worker, such a talented athlete... for awhile. I'll be fine with that... so long as we don't just recruit AA's because they're AA's.

Capel's young. I think he learned his lesson.

I'm pretty sure that both Tiny and Tommy committed before they were named to the McDonald's AA team, so that's probably not why Capel was recruiting them.

the_ouskull
6/27/2010, 09:37 AM
I left out someone that may be legit competition for RoY... or at least will be someone that everybody goes both "Who," and "Whoa," about.

Tiago Splitter.

the_ouskull

badger
6/27/2010, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure that both Tiny and Tommy committed before they were named to the McDonald's AA team, so that's probably not why Capel was recruiting them.

Was there any doubt that they'd get named to that team, given their status as blue chippers? That's what I meant.

the_ouskull
6/27/2010, 11:58 AM
With both of them, actually, yes. You see, what happened was f*ck those guys.

Er... I meant, Tiny was too fat, and Tommy was too short. Sorry. Typo.

the_ouskull

ndpruitt03
6/27/2010, 12:21 PM
If you have guys that are good team players size doesn't matter. TMG had better stats than Eric Bledsoe and he's basically been drafted as a PG when he hasn't played that his entire college career. Not sure if he's a fit in the NBA either. The other Kentucky guy was drafted 5th and he's fatter than Gallon. The problem with our players is that they aren't really good team basketball players. That's why we stunk last year. They thought they were already in the NBA and didn't have to work to get better.

btk108
6/27/2010, 02:16 PM
hmmmm and I thought TMG left so he could get "paid". Oh well, mebbe Mickie D's has a place for one of their All Americans.:D

Eielson
6/27/2010, 03:03 PM
hmmmm and I thought TMG left so he could get "paid". Oh well, mebbe Mickie D's has a place for one of their All Americans.:D

He will get paid. Not millions, but thousands. I think left because he didn't want to go to class anymore, though.

the_ouskull
6/28/2010, 08:46 PM
UPDATE:

Latest Gilbert Arenas rumors...

- Pair him in the backcourt with Wall at the 1. Heinrich would become a $9 million/per backup.
- Trade talks to Orlando. However, oddly, there's word that Dwight Howard would have to sign off on any deals...

If the Orlando stuff is real, I wonder how that will effect Jameer Nelson's decision to stick around, especially if Gilbert comes to Orlando. I mean, between Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis, and now Agent Zero, if you have the opportunity to trade for an over-priced volume gunner with no desire or ability to defend, and no care for "running an offense" so much as "getting their's" then you have to take it.

With Arenas, Redick, Carter, Lewis as your 1-4, Howard would average 30 rebounds and 10 blocks in every game, which, considering he'd foul out sometime in the 3rd quarter of each game, would be even more impressive. He'd be like the anti-Wilt of help defense.

the_ouskull

badger
6/28/2010, 09:40 PM

According to a 2007 report by National Public Radio, the average NBA D-League salary ranges from $12,000 to $24,000 a season. The report also stated that while NBA players are paid $100 a day for expenses when they are traveling to and from road games, NBA D-League players are paid only $30.00.

I think we can assume that salaries are higher now than 2007, but not by much. Also, if a player gets an NBA contract, they get NBA-level pay... not that it matters in this TMG discussion :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
6/28/2010, 11:19 PM
Was there any doubt that they'd get named to that team, given their status as blue chippers? That's what I meant.

One of them was kind of a surprise, as I recall.

So your solution is that Capel shouldn't recruit blue-chip players because they're blue-chip players?

You go after the top guys. If you find out they're head cases, hopefully you do so before they become your problem. The solution is to get to know them better or to not ignore their mental deficiencies, not to stop recruiting the best players.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/29/2010, 08:31 AM
Who is this Tiny and TMG you speak of? I don't remember any SOONERS with those names.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/29/2010, 08:46 AM
I watch more basketball in my sleep than you do at basketball watch parties with multiple televisions.

- Gilbert MAY be traded. That's not the word coming from D.C. or anything. Kevin Durant MAY be traded. LeBron MAY be signed-and-traded. Bruce Willis MAY not save us all from an asteroid.

- Iggy MAY play the small forward position. I guess that that means that Jason Kopono plays the two? That would explain their defensive issues. Turner has good, but not elite athleticism. Iggy has elite athleticism. Twos are faster, generally, than threes. Who would you rather have guarding faster players? A slower player, or a faster one?

Oh, and there's the whole "their own f*cking depth chart lists him as a three" thing...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/PHI (scroll down to "most frequent lineup" while you're at it...)

AND there's the whole, "Evan Turner can play the one," thing you spewed up. Since when? Being forced to do it because you aren't scared to handle the ball isn't the same thing as being a one, full-time. Terrell Everett played the one for OU too. Prolly wasn't a good idea for him to do it, though. Ditto with Turner. If they had anybody else that could successfully get the team into their offense, they'd have done it. I mean, don't get me wrong, as NOT a fan of the 76ers, I love the idea of Turner running the point for them. But being forced to do it in college out of necessity and dropping off a 4.4 turnover per game average doesn't bode well for your ability to run the point at the next level. And, I've already discussed his defensive abilities compared to those of Iguodala.

- Wes Johnson? Yeah, 'cause uber skinny forwards from the Orange have done so well up to this point, no? (GET BACK IN YOUR CAVE, HAKIM WARRICK!) He's going to be 23 by the time the season starts. And, as a grown man, he averaged 16 points per game. He'll come in right away and fill a lot of needs for a team that has a lot of needs, but he's never going to be a star.

- Derrick Favors will be a beast...

Potentially, sure. But he wasn't "a beast" in college, and typically that's where dominance begins. Dwight Howard is a good comparison for this guy right now, and he didn't scare anybody his first couple of seasons. I like my beasts to average more than 8.4 boards per game in college, for starters. More than 12 points and change, too.

- Greg Monroe. Yeah, as if Jeff Green, v. 2.0 strikes fear into any hearts. Also, how well is a non-athletic, non-hustling big man who shoots 3's with the stroke of Rasheed Wallace (and that's NOT a positive trait) going to fit into Ben Wallace's locker room? Instant impact? Perhaps. A positive one? Eh? A positive enough one to win RoY? Neh.

- John Wall. He's the challenger, at least at this point... (Unless Greg Oden is still eligible...) ..and he's been playing, so he's got the hype and the momentum. Also, since Wall's a guard, he'll have the ball in his hands more often, so he'll have more opportunities than Blake to make himself look good. But, is he a better player? Well, as long as he doesn't p*ss off Gilbert at the first team meeting, and f*ck around and get shot, maybe we'll get to find out.

- Variables: Washington trading Arenas or Heinrich would help Wall's case a lot. Avery Johnson getting the Nets winning will get attention going Favors' way. Philly trading Iggy would help Turner's stats, but probably not his development. I'm not really sweating anything else. Healthy Blake > The Class of 2010.

the_ouskull

Ouch... Definitely owned me. My apologies... :O

the_ouskull
6/29/2010, 01:30 PM
Ouch... Definitely owned me. My apologies... :O

Aw...

Absolutely zero need to apologize, sir. It's what I do. Stick around, please. I like people that love ball around here. Knowing it isn't nearly as much of a requirement... right, jLew? :D

the_ouskull

Eielson
6/29/2010, 02:07 PM
I think we can assume that salaries are higher now than 2007, but not by much. Also, if a player gets an NBA contract, they get NBA-level pay... not that it matters in this TMG discussion :rolleyes:

He's not going to make NBA money, and I stated that. However, making $60-$70 thousand a year isn't too bad...especially for somebody who grew up in the conditions it seems this kid did.

Collier11
6/29/2010, 02:51 PM
He will make between $60-150k unless he becomes a mega star and he will likely get housing and a vehicle paid for. Not a bad life, oh yea, it is usually tax free when you play overseas

Scott D
6/29/2010, 03:58 PM
they're discussing d-league contracts collier.

imo TMG is going to end up like that kid that tried skipping his senior year of HS to play in Israel last year and was an abysmal failure if he goes to Europe.

Collier11
6/29/2010, 06:39 PM
Yea but it worked for Jennings, you never know. I never saw anything that convinced me that TMG is willing to work hard or be selfless though

Eielson
6/29/2010, 06:50 PM
Yea but it worked for Jennings, you never know. I never saw anything to say that convinced me that TMG is willing to work hard or be selfless though

Nothing about Jennings did, either. At least TMG qualified for college.

Collier11
6/29/2010, 06:53 PM
True

badger
6/30/2010, 02:04 PM
A little bit of hard labor for little pay will be a humbling experience for awhile.

Before you say "Isn't that what he faced under Capel," let's play devil's advocate. All of our rivals already suspect it and have accused him of it, but let's just get it out on the table for the hell of it - there is a slight possibility that TMG was initially being paid by runners, agents, etc. because of his blue chipper status without OU's knowledge.

My guess is that if in fact this was the case, that it is no longer the case as his Mickie D status wained and his hype fizzled during the froshie season. So, there's still the potential for a humbling, hard work experience to be had in Europe or the D-League since he may have missed out on it in college.