PDA

View Full Version : I think the only thing I like better than World Cup Soccer is

SoonerBK
6/24/2010, 09:48 AM
College Football, NFL, College Basketball, NBA, MLB, Water ski competitions...

That being said I do hope the USA wins so we can own that sport to and then get back to not caring about it. I dont think the Refs are going to let the "White Devil from the west" win it though.

Flagstaffsooner
6/24/2010, 09:53 AM
Olive relay races!

Okla-homey
6/24/2010, 10:24 AM
Maybe if we win the stupid World Cup we can insist that the rest of world refer to this utterly ghey "sport" as "soccer" instead of "football."

Curly Bill
6/24/2010, 10:44 AM
I'd just as soon us fall on our faces, so I don't have to hear how now that we've done so well, soccer is really gonna catch on here.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 10:46 AM
Cmon Curly, its the one sport in the world that we are no good at, except now we are good at it. I think it is funny and you know the other countries hate it

Curly Bill
6/24/2010, 10:47 AM
Dude, I hate the sport, I don't want us to be good at it. Those other countries can have it.

Curly Bill
6/24/2010, 10:48 AM
...and to say we're good at it might be a slight exageration.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 10:52 AM
How many countries are there that play soccer? We are a legit top 16 team and this WC proves it, thats pretty good. Im not saying we are a top 5 or even top 10 team but top 16 is solid

olevetonahill
6/24/2010, 10:56 AM
Id rather have a 3some with oprah and Rosie as watch that carp again:eek:

Curly Bill
6/24/2010, 10:59 AM
Id rather have a 3some with oprah and Rosie as watch that carp again:eek:

Well...I'm not going that far, but I do think it's pretty lame. Didn't watch the last match, have no plans to watch the next one.

Now if Brazil or Argentina are playing and I can I might watch. USA soccer not so much.

Frozen Sooner
6/24/2010, 11:00 AM
Cmon Curly, its the one sport in the world that we are no good at, except now we are good at it. I think it is funny and you know the other countries hate it

We're pretty terrible at cricket and rugby as well.

Soccer gains fans every year, but it's probably never going to be a mainstream sport in the USA. This is the first time I've really watched a lot of it, and I'm finding it enjoyable, but I'm not about to claim that people who don't like it are stupid or just don't get it or something. Much like hockey, it's an acquired taste and there's going to be people who don't like it no matter what.

Me, I can't watch tennis. I know there's an incredible match going on right now (or I guess just ended) but I wasn't about to watch it.

Curly Bill
6/24/2010, 11:02 AM
Speaking of cricket - that I can watch. Got into it when I was stationed in Japan. Watching Pakistan and India mix it up in some cricket is quality entertainment.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 11:15 AM
Golf I can only watch during the majors
Tennis I might watch if its a Wimbledon final or something like that
Soccer I only watch team USA during the WC

OU Adonis
6/24/2010, 11:40 AM
Water Sports?

Serge Ibaka
6/24/2010, 01:12 PM
I'm sort of becoming a soccer fan...it's actually pretty entertaining IMO.

The drugs help.

GottaHavePride
6/24/2010, 02:03 PM
See, I can't watch golf on TV at all. Same for tennis. I pretty much never watch hockey or the NBA, and I'll only watch a MLB game in person.

Sports I watch: college football, college basketball, soccer, and the Olympics. That's it.

Well, unless something hilarious like Aussie-rules football is on.

NormanPride
6/24/2010, 02:05 PM
The Masters: A nap like no other...

soonerscuba
6/24/2010, 02:40 PM
I think that soccer's arrival in America is evident by the lack of people trying to force people to like it. Think about it this way, when somebody says they don't like the NFL, do people try to explain the nuances of the game and why you should like it or simply say "OK" and move on. Haters gonna hate, but the US could be on the cusp of something very, very big. Even beyond this tournament, and I don't give a damn if you like it or not. The market has spoken based on the money ESPN poured into it and the packed bars for group stage games.

Ike
6/24/2010, 02:43 PM
The Masters: A nap like no other...

you ain't kidding.

GottaHavePride
6/24/2010, 02:48 PM
I think that soccer's arrival in America is evident by the lack of people trying to force people to like it. Think about it this way, when somebody says they don't like the NFL, do people try to explain the nuances of the game and why you should like it or simply say "OK" and move on. Haters gonna hate, but the US could be on the cusp of something very, very big. Even beyond this tournament, and I don't give a damn if you like it or not. The market has spoken based on the money ESPN poured into it and the packed bars for group stage games.

Heh. Exactly. You don't like soccer? That's cool, I don't like the NBA. We're even. ;)

TUSooner
6/24/2010, 03:14 PM
The US actually won an international cricket competition this spring, defeating such powerhouses as Bermuda, Argentina, the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, and the ever-fearsome Canadians! (It was the ICC Americas Region Div. One T20).

I totally agree with GHP & Scube: I don't care if you like soccer or not, but plenty of people in the USA apparently do like it. I do. I like almost all sports, and I want to learn about sports that are new to me, because -- surprise -- the more I learn, the more I like. I don't expect that people will like soccer of they don't want to know anything about it. That said, basketball is my absolute least favorite sport, but I don't mind if you love it.

EDIT: BTW, I am not a new soccer fan by any means; I've been watching and learning for 30 years.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 04:02 PM

Actually, if someone tells me they dont like football I firmly question their manhood and sanity :D

sooner59
6/24/2010, 04:14 PM
Yeah, if you don't like football, you are a nancy. End of conversation.

EnragedOUfan
6/24/2010, 04:23 PM
All you guys are crazy, no pun intended..... I'm having a blast following the World Cup. I supervise both an Italian and German citizen.......I work with a Greek citizen.........And a guy from Mexico..........And a bunch of Americans........And I live in Deutschland, so I get to see firsthand how into Soccer the Germans really are, from everyone driving around with their “Deutschland” flags waving on their cars, to people hanging the German flag outside their home windows, to the people wearing their country’s colors proudly. It’s like being in Norman during an OU game, but yet it’s an entire country cheering and rooting for its team .......It’s awesome. The World Cup will probably lead me into following the European league next season and maybe even MLS. The glory of the World cup is happens of course when a goal is scored. Because it’s such a competitive game, when that goal is scored, its freaking huge...When USA’s Donovan scored that goal in extra time, man that was awesome and the excitement of that goal was unreal.....To me, that's the glory of soccer. It’s not like the Olympics, where every country might field a decent competitive team, or to where certain countries usually dominate in certain events i.e. the US in basketball, Canadians in hockey, etc. The World Cup brings the qualifying countries best of the best. I have to disagree with pretty much everyone on this site. Another example as to why I am enjoying the World Cup will be when England-Deutschland play. The history between these countries runs past WWII, where they were once enemies. It’s awesome, and I'm glad I'll be in Deutschland to experience it. BOOMER SOONER!

Collier11
6/24/2010, 04:25 PM
Then enjoy it, if it isnt the U.S. then I dont care

Pricetag
6/24/2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, if you don't like football, you are a nancy. End of conversation.
What's funny is that rugby fans call our football players nancy boys because they wear "body armour."

The reaction everyone should get from that idea is about as close as I can come to explaining the feeling I get when someone who doesn't like soccer feels the need to take a dump on it when it is in the spotlight.

Collier11
6/24/2010, 04:45 PM
My complaint with the sport is more about the ridiculous flopping that is allowed time after time, Vlade Divac style. Also, it needs more scoring. Maybe not how hockey has become where games are 7-6 but a 0-0 or 1-1 soccer game to me personally, hard to watch.

Of course im sure there are plenty who would say the same to me about baseball and I love baseball

Serge Ibaka
6/24/2010, 04:54 PM
Of course im sure there are plenty who would say the same to me about baseball and I love baseball

Now you get it! It's all relative to mood and taste. Personally, I'm really into baseball, basketball, and soccer right now--football seems almost a little boring and slow to me. But, once Autumn-Saturdays in Norman come rolling around again this year, I'm sure I'll be changing my tune; it always happens that way.

Go sports!

TUSooner
6/24/2010, 08:45 PM
FWIW, Even people worldwide who love soccer as their only sport complain about unimaginative play and flopping... except the Italians, who probably have training sessions on how to dive, commit cheap fouls, fake injuries, and whine to the refs. :D

Okla-homey
6/24/2010, 08:56 PM
The US actually won an international cricket competition this spring, defeating such powerhouses as Bermuda, Argentina, the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas, and the ever-fearsome Canadians! (It was the ICC Americas Region Div. One T20).

I totally agree with GHP & Scube: I don't care if you like soccer or not, but plenty of people in the USA apparently do like it. I do. I like almost all sports, and I want to learn about sports that are new to me, because -- surprise -- the more I learn, the more I like. I don't expect that people will like soccer of they don't want to know anything about it. That said, basketball is my absolute least favorite sport, but I don't mind if you love it.

EDIT: BTW, I am not a new soccer fan by any means; I've been watching and learning for 30 years.

You know how I know you're gay...?;)

Okla-homey
6/24/2010, 08:59 PM
All you guys are crazy, no pun intended..... I'm having a blast following the World Cup. I supervise both an Italian and German citizen.......I work with a Greek citizen.........And a guy from Mexico..........And a bunch of Americans........And I live in Deutschland, so I get to see firsthand how into Soccer the Germans really are, from everyone driving around with their “Deutschland” flags waving on their cars, to people hanging the German flag outside their home windows, to the people wearing their country’s colors proudly. It’s like being in Norman during an OU game, but yet it’s an entire country cheering and rooting for its team .......It’s awesome. The World Cup will probably lead me into following the European league next season and maybe even MLS. The glory of the World cup is happens of course when a goal is scored. Because it’s such a competitive game, when that goal is scored, its freaking huge...When USA’s Donovan scored that goal in extra time, man that was awesome and the excitement of that goal was unreal.....To me, that's the glory of soccer. It’s not like the Olympics, where every country might field a decent competitive team, or to where certain countries usually dominate in certain events i.e. the US in basketball, Canadians in hockey, etc. The World Cup brings the qualifying countries best of the best. I have to disagree with pretty much everyone on this site. Another example as to why I am enjoying the World Cup will be when England-Deutschland play. The history between these countries runs past WWII, where they were once enemies. It’s awesome, and I'm glad I'll be in Deutschland to experience it. BOOMER SOONER!

Immersed among soccer fans huh? Watch your cornhole dude.

MR2-Sooner86
6/25/2010, 01:02 AM
The U.S. will never be good in soccer because soccer is gay. Has anybody here ever seen a soccer match?

You have a bunch of guys titty bump each other the entire game and get grass stains on their knees and they feel like they just completed an army obstacle course. They also get pissy with each other and try to slap each other and ram their heads into a player's chest. Do you ever see this in football? No. Why? Football doesn't have pansies running around like they broke a nail.

I think the entire world should dump soccer and stick with rugby which I do enjoy.

Crucifax Autumn
6/25/2010, 04:47 AM
I just saw a pic of Bill Clinton with a brew in the lockerroom.

http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Bill-Clinton-Drinking-Beer-With-Carlos-Bocanegra.jpg

Ike
6/25/2010, 08:37 AM
I think this thread can be summed up thusly:

:les: YOUR FAVORITE SPORT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okla-homey
6/25/2010, 09:27 AM
Soccer is fine for little girls to play, but they should quit before they reach puberty because it's too easy for young women to blow out knees playing it.

Other than that, anyone with a "Y" chromosome who plays the sport is in serious danger of becoming an effeminate nancy-boy who will never amount to anything because he will not have learned to fight for anything. Instead, he'll merely "flop" and/or look to a ref to bail him out, and life simply doesn't work that way.

Soccer is an anathema, an utter waste of time and has the potential to ruin a generation of young Americans. It should be stamped-out like chattel slavery was in the 19th century. In fact, owning soccer paraphenalia or organizing games should be felonies. People who conspire to play and /or organize soccer play should be ex-communicated from their church and required to do public service in penance for the offense. In short, it would better to have your son announce he's a towel boy in a Thai house of prostitution than a soccer player.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 02:16 PM
Since you're posting that here and on Facebook, I'll do the same.

"Other than that, anyone with plays American football is in serious danger of becoming a brainless, bling-wearing thug who will never amount to anything because he will assume brute force is the only solution to every situation. Instead, he'll merely look to someone else to tell him what to do every 15 seconds, and life simply doesn't work that way.

American football is an anathema, an utter waste of time and has the potential to ruin a generation of young Americans. It should be stamped-out like chattel slavery was in the 19th century. In fact, owning football paraphenalia or organizing games should be felonies. People who conspire to play and /or organize American football should be ex-communicated from their church and required to do public service in penance for the offense. In short, it would better to have your son announce he's the newest member of the Crips than an American football player."

It's an ignorant argument any way you make it, Homey.

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 02:18 PM
I like sports.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 02:23 PM
I like sports, too. I'm just not about to say cricket is ruining the youth of half the world just because I have no concept of how it works and think it's boring. ;)

OhU1
6/25/2010, 02:24 PM
Soccer is a 3rd world sport. And nothing is more thrilling than a 0-0 tie.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 02:27 PM
Soccer is fine for little girls to play, but they should quit before they reach puberty because it's too easy for young women to blow out knees playing it.

I read a report a while back that said girls get injured in cheerleading more than any other female sport. Something crazy like 30,000 injuries a year or something along those lines.

Serge Ibaka
6/25/2010, 02:28 PM
I like sports, too. I'm just not about to say cricket is ruining the youth of half the world just because I have no concept of how it works and think it's boring. ;)

Well said (and before, too). I've never really followed soccer, but I've definitely been soccer-curious. And at any rate, I've watched many soccer matches during this cup, and I've enjoyed it.

Soonerwake
6/25/2010, 02:37 PM
Instead, he'll merely "flop" and/or look to a ref to bail him out, and life simply doesn't work that way.

Dang Homey, have u watched an NBA game lately??

Soonerwake
6/25/2010, 02:39 PM
However, nothing is more boring than these 0-0 or 1-1 ties. What is this, gradeschool PE where everyone is a winner??

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 02:46 PM
However, nothing is more boring than these 0-0 or 1-1 ties. What is this, gradeschool PE where everyone is a winner??

**** man, when I was in grade school it was dodgeball, tetherball, and kickball - to the death. I remember hitting Miss Creveling with a dodgeball in the butt. When I was in, she threw a dodgeball Nolan Ryan woulda been proud of and busted my nose. She goes "you're out!!" I go "but it's supposed to be below the waist" while globs of blood are running down my shirt. She goes "shut up, and go to the nurse." Man, I loved Miss Creveling.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 03:09 PM
Miss Creveling would be fired and in jail in 2010, man how our country has become full of a bunch of p#$$ies now days.

Okla-homey
6/25/2010, 03:10 PM
I read a report a while back that said girls get injured in cheerleading more than any other female sport. Something crazy like 30,000 injuries a year or something along those lines.

You are correct. And you, my friend, have struck a Homey-nerve. Indulge me please. And you know what else? Feminist proponents of Title IX don't give two farts about the fact girls get seriously hurt every year cheerleading. Much more commonly than anything else girls do in school.

It goes like this. Everyone agrees cheerleading is very dangerous, as evidenced by the broken bones, TBI's and spinal injuries that occur as a result of the ever-increasing demand that cheerleaders perform gymnastic stunts as part of their routines you used to only see in the circus.

But, and this is important, since cheerleading is not a "sport," it's not regulated by the various scholastic athletic bodies at the secondary and college level. Therefore, safety guidelines applicable to student-athletes are not observed. Hence, avoidable injuries continue to occur. Serious injuries like broken necks, TBI's and and other spinal injuries. To say nothing of broken ankles, legs, arms and wrists.

To put it another way, college baseball players must use aluminum bats because they're safer than wood, but girls can build a human pyramid 15 feet high and the girl on top can back-flip to the ground and no regulatory body at NCAA or at the high school level can say, "hmm, that's kinda dangerous lookin.' Mebbe we oughtta make sure they know what they're doing and have spotters. etc."

How do the feminists play a role in this? Easy. They do not want cheerleading declared a "sport," because that would mean colleges would get Title IX credit for fielding another female athletic squad. And that would lead to fewer intercollegiate athletic opportunities for the girls who aren't cheerleader-looking.

The whole thing reaks.

tommieharris91
6/25/2010, 03:16 PM

Basketball injures more knees than soccer, too.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:18 PM
Now, I'm with you on that one, Homey. :)

Ike
6/25/2010, 03:19 PM
To put it another way, college baseball players must use aluminum bats because they're safer than wood, but girls can build a human pyramid 15 feet high and the girl on top can back-flip to the ground and no regulatory body at NCAA or at the high school level can say, "hmm, that's kinda dangerous lookin.' Mebbe we oughtta make sure they know what they're doing and have spotters. etc."

I think this may be the first time ever that I have heard anyone claim that aluminum bats are safer than wood.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:20 PM
Basketball injures more knees than soccer, too.

I don't think the human form is actually designed for that much jumping. Most of those knee injuries seem to come from landing wrong.

sooner59
**** man, when I was in grade school it was dodgeball, tetherball, and kickball - to the death. I remember hitting Miss Creveling with a dodgeball in the butt. When I was in, she threw a dodgeball Nolan Ryan woulda been proud of and busted my nose. She goes "you're out!!" I go "but it's supposed to be below the waist" while globs of blood are running down my shirt. She goes "shut up, and go to the nurse." Man, I loved Miss Creveling.

Below the waist? That is some pansy stuff right there. Hell, it was anything goes when I was in grade school. We pegging people so hard that there were heads bouncing off of the walls and the floor. Good times. I miss that. :D

Okla-homey
I think this may be the first time ever that I have heard anyone claim that aluminum bats are safer than wood.

Isn't that what they claimed when they were first required in NCAA baseball? You know, no busted bats and pointy splinters winging into the stands or towards the catcher or pitcher.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 03:21 PM
You are correct. And you, my friend, have struck a Homey-nerve. Indulge me please. And you know what else? Feminist proponents of Title IX don't give two farts about the fact girls get seriously hurt every year cheerleading. Much more commonly than anything else girls do in school.

It goes like this. Everyone agrees cheerleading is very dangerous, as evidenced by the broken bones, TBI's and spinal injuries that occur as a result of the ever-increasing demand that cheerleaders perform gymnastic stunts as part of their routines you used to only see in the circus.

But, and this is important, since cheerleading is not a "sport," it's not regulated by the various scholastic athletic bodies at the secondary and college level. Therefore, safety guidelines applicable to student-athletes are not observed. Hence, avoidable injuries continue to occur. Serious injuries like broken necks, TBI's and and other spinal injuries. To say nothing of broken ankles, legs, arms and wrists.

How do the feminists play a role in this? Easy. They do not want cheerleading declared a "sport," because that would mean colleges would get Title IX credit for fielding another female athletic squad. And that would lead to fewer intercollegiate athletic opportunities for the girls who aren't cheerleader-looking.

The whole thing reaks.

Here's a link to the article, I think your points are on page two.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37020978/ns/health-fitness/

GottaHavePride
6/25/2010, 03:21 PM

I can see the argument though... No risk of an aluminum bat splintering and flying through the air. You aren't supposed to be throwing the bat at other players anyway. ;)

Ike
6/25/2010, 03:23 PM
Isn't that what they claimed when they were first required in NCAA baseball?

Maybe then....because they don't break. They certainly aren't now...the ball comes off the bat much faster with aluminum, since now they are basically hollow springy things, some with pressurized air in them.

I think when they first came on though, it was only claimed that they were cheaper.

Okla-homey
6/25/2010, 03:23 PM
Now, I'm with you on that one, Homey. :)

dang skippy. And, for the record, I hate soccer, but I amped up my argument on purpose for the sake of mirth.;)

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 03:24 PM
I don't know. A 36" ash H&B Henry Aaron Special and a 36" aluminum bat would probably feel just about the same when laid upside your head.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 03:24 PM
They have said within a cpl of years aluminum bats will be equal to wood bats as far as safety, they arent quite there yet.

Ike
6/25/2010, 10:47 PM
They have said within a cpl of years aluminum bats will be equal to wood bats as far as safety, they arent quite there yet.

The BESR certification has helped a bit....and that may change too to make bats safer, but at least now, it's still the case that the ball comes off an aluminum bat much faster than a wood bat, and bat makers try very hard to squeeze out as much exit velocity as they can and still get certified. There's huge money in it.

The breakage is perhaps the one area where aluminum bats are safer, but there are far more injuries from players (and coaches sometimes too) getting hit with line drives than there are with people getting hit by a flying piece of bat. The main reason is that the flying piece of bat usually isn't traveling very fast. Certainly nowhere near as fast as a line drive.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 10:50 PM
How many countries are there that play soccer? We are a legit top 16 team and this WC proves it, thats pretty good. Im not saying we are a top 5 or even top 10 team but top 16 is solid

Considering a record 204 countries tried to qualify for this year's World Cup, yeah, I'd say were good.

KC//CRIMSON
6/25/2010, 11:55 PM
jbn3rOPmR9w

You're next, Ghana.

sooner ngintunr
6/26/2010, 12:42 AM
jbn3rOPmR9w

You're next, Ghana.

one of those moments that I'll never forget. I was the one and only customer at the BA buffalo wild wings. Manager was glad I showed up because he opened it up early instead of 11am. I jammed from work at halftime to go watch. Held myself to only 2 beers.:O Great day.

incredible.

Re the OP. Sooner sports, CFB and NFL playoffs are the only sports that I can think of that I enjoy more than the WC.:pop:

sooner59
6/26/2010, 12:45 AM

I remember in high school, we had some pretty expensive aluminum bats. I saw two of them explode. Both in practice, never in a game, but it was crazy. Hitter connects with a fastball, and BAM! and bat peels open similar to a can of pillsbury biscuits. Dangerous.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 01:20 AM

Other than that, anyone with a "Y" chromosome who plays the sport is in serious danger of becoming an effeminate nancy-boy who will never amount to anything because he will not have learned to fight for anything. Instead, he'll merely "flop" and/or look to a ref to bail him out, and life simply doesn't work that way.

Soccer is an anathema, an utter waste of time and has the potential to ruin a generation of young Americans. It should be stamped-out like chattel slavery was in the 19th century. In fact, owning soccer paraphenalia or organizing games should be felonies. People who conspire to play and /or organize soccer play should be ex-communicated from their church and required to do public service in penance for the offense. In short, it would better to have your son announce he's a towel boy in a Thai house of prostitution than a soccer player.

I didn't write any of the above.

Although I wished I had. Dammit!

delhalew
6/26/2010, 01:35 AM
I suppose if you are short, have no jump shot or free throw ability, and have a physical stature more suited to running away than fighting...you need a sport to participate in. So...soccer? :D

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 01:36 AM
I suppose if you are short, have no jump shot or free throw ability, and have a physical stature more suited to running away than fighting...you need a sport to participate in. So...soccer? :D

Don't forget acting skills.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 02:23 AM
Greatest goal call of all time? Greatest goal call of all time.

http://deadspin.com/5572603/now-heres-andres-cantor-calling-landon-donovans-gooooooooool

Curly Bill
6/26/2010, 02:28 AM

In the good ol USofA this is still pretty much how it is. God Bless us. :D

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 03:00 AM
Greatest goal call of all time? Greatest goal call of all time

Oh, I get it. My turn:

Milk? Milk.

Let me do one more:

Think? Think.

TUSooner
6/26/2010, 07:56 AM

This proves that in every mind there is a deep, dark & dirty corner where even the penetrating light of truth cannot reach. ;)

SunnySooner
6/26/2010, 08:49 AM
The Brits in line for Harry Potter had been doing some soccer cheers to kill time, sometimes peeps from other countries would yell back with one of theirs, but when we won that game, it was "USA! USA! USA!" really LOUD, that was pretty cool. I'm indifferent towards soccer, I want the US to win, but don't really care enough to watch it.

And Homey, I agree, I cheered for 5 years thru jr. and sr. high, blew out my knee so bad I now have an artificial one, a total knee replacement--you know, like they give old people with really bad arthritis, except I'm only in my 30's. 8 surgeries in all, and it still bothers me. Just about every girl I cheered with had some kind of injury, mostly knees and ankles. There is no supervision beyond the cheer coach, who is usually a teacher who used to cheer herself. We went to camp every summer to learn new stunts from college cheerleaders, and then we'd practice--on the grass, always dropping someone until we got it down. The only safety precautions were, if you see someone falling, try to get under them and break their fall. Oh, and stretch and warm up before games.:rolleyes: It should be a sport, it requires training, physical fitness, practice, and is now competitive in its own right--squads compete against each other for national awards. Sounds like a sport to me.

delhalew
6/26/2010, 09:32 AM
The Brits in line for Harry Potter had been doing some soccer cheers to kill time, sometimes peeps from other countries would yell back with one of theirs, but when we won that game, it was "USA! USA! USA!" really LOUD, that was pretty cool. I'm indifferent towards soccer, I want the US to win, but don't really care enough to watch it.

And Homey, I agree, I cheered for 5 years thru jr. and sr. high, blew out my knee so bad I now have an artificial one, a total knee replacement--you know, like they give old people with really bad arthritis, except I'm only in my 30's. 8 surgeries in all, and it still bothers me. Just about every girl I cheered with had some kind of injury, mostly knees and ankles. There is no supervision beyond the cheer coach, who is usually a teacher who used to cheer herself. We went to camp every summer to learn new stunts from college cheerleaders, and then we'd practice--on the grass, always dropping someone until we got it down. The only safety precautions were, if you see someone falling, try to get under them and break their fall. Oh, and stretch and warm up before games.:rolleyes: It should be a sport, it requires training, physical fitness, practice, and is now competitive in its own right--squads compete against each other for national awards. Sounds like a sport to me.

I've been hearing about injuries increasing in cheering. Apparently cheerleading is resulting in more serious injury than any other sport. Falls resulting in paralysis...things like that. They say the cause is increased gymnastic stunts without increased supervision by trained professionals. I think I would be more concerned about my daughter cheering than I would my son playing football.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 12:32 PM
Oh, I get it. My turn:

Milk? Milk.

Let me do one more:

Think? Think.

Leroy Lizard, most challenged troll ever? Most challenged troll ever.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 12:58 PM
Man, we could go on all day with this.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 01:03 PM
Man, we could go on all day with this.

I doubt it, you don't have the capacity.

Leroy Lizard
6/26/2010, 01:26 PM
I have the capacity? I have the capacity.

Yep, all day.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2010, 01:28 PM
Game Time!!