PDA

View Full Version : Federal Judge Marty Feldman lifts BHO moratorium

Okla-homey
6/22/2010, 01:54 PM
...on deep water drilling.

Sanity prevails!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-06-22/u-s-deepwater-oil-drilling-ban-lifted-today-by-new-orleans-federal-judge.html

Oldnslo
6/22/2010, 01:57 PM
http://altrafedelta.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/feldman.jpg
What hump?

C&CDean
6/22/2010, 02:08 PM
Heh. That was my first thought too.

It's "eyegore..."

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2010, 02:42 PM
Do you also say "Froaderick"?

Okla-homey
6/22/2010, 02:49 PM
danged ol' activist judges! How dare a non-elected, life-time appointed old man in a black robe pull the plug on a fine presidential executive order. ;)

But this time, it'll be the greenies b1tchin' and moanin' the above. Which is refreshing.

NormanPride
6/22/2010, 03:42 PM
I think most green people are pretty nuts, but I have a hard time rooting against them knowing that their heart is in the right place...

olevetonahill
6/22/2010, 04:41 PM
I think most green people are pretty nuts, but I have a hard time rooting against them knowing that their heart is in the right place...

Their Hearts are in the right Place. But its their Heads im concerned about :D

Okla-homey
6/22/2010, 04:43 PM

I agree. Their heart is probably in the right place. What is misplaced however, is the fact that no matter how many windmills or solar panels they build, we will still need dead dinosaur juice to run our way-of-life for the foreseeable future (a/k/a the next fifty years). Great gobs of the stuff in fact.

And the fact their opposition to nuclear electrical power production is mindless and absurd. Heck, even the dumb ol' French figured it out. I bet the Frogs are up to at least 70% of their electrical production from nuke plants. And they're building new nuke facilities as I type this.

IMHO, we should be generating electricity with nuclear power, and converting the coal with which this nation is blessed into gasoline. The Nazi's were able to do that by 1944 to run their vehicles despite the fact we were bombing the ever-living crap out of them day and night.

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2010, 04:54 PM
I agree. Their heart is probably in the right place. What is misplaced however, is the fact that no matter how many windmills or solar panels they build, we will still need dead dinosaur juice to run our way-of-life for the foreseeable future (a/k/a the next fifty years). Great gobs of the stuff in fact.

And the fact their opposition to nuclear electrical power production is mindless and absurd. Heck, even the dumb ol' French figured it out. I bet the Frogs are up to at least 70% of their electrical production from nuke plants. And they're building new nuke facilities as I type this.

IMHO, we should be generating electricity with nuclear power, and converting the coal with which this nation is blessed into gasoline. The Nazi's were able to do that by 1944 to run their vehicles despite the fact we were bombing the ever-living crap out of them day and night.

Okies don't like the nuclear energies, Black Fox.

MclOUvin
6/22/2010, 04:56 PM
Obama fail, typical

OUMallen
6/22/2010, 05:21 PM

Natural gas?

SoonerInKCMO
6/22/2010, 05:34 PM

Coal?! :mad:

StoopTroup
6/22/2010, 05:58 PM
Obama fail, typical

If we are still in Iraq after Obama is out of office who failed Obama or Bush?

Okla-homey
6/22/2010, 08:18 PM
Natural gas?

Of course we can burn natural gas. We NEED natural gas, coal, nuclear, solar and wind. Not just solar and wind. Solar and wind alone can't get it done.

GKeeper316
6/22/2010, 08:35 PM
yellowbeard

Dio
6/22/2010, 10:45 PM
Could be worse...it could be raining

TenkillerSooner
6/22/2010, 11:00 PM
Of course we can burn natural gas. We NEED natural gas, coal, nuclear, solar and wind. Not just solar and wind. Solar and wind alone can't get it done.

^ This

GKeeper316
6/22/2010, 11:46 PM

yet.

as long as we keep improving the technology we have, its still progress.

we have got to get off fossil fuels... quickly.

Okla-homey
6/23/2010, 06:22 AM
yet.

we have got to get off fossil fuels... quickly.

Pray tell, how exactly would air travel be possible without fossil fuels? Are you suggesting that we can somehow magically develop electric jet engines? :cool: Are you suggesting we can, within this centrury, move people and all commercial goods by road, rail and or water exclusively by electricity produced by solar and wind? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
6/23/2010, 08:51 AM
Planes catch a lot of wind why can't they be powered by the wind? :D

Okla-homey
6/23/2010, 09:39 AM
Planes catch a lot of wind why can't they be powered by the wind? :D

You pass a lot of wind. Why can't you be powered by the wind?:D

badger
6/23/2010, 10:17 AM
So I assume you all heard the big development that the judge that passes the decision is tad bit biased? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20100623_13_0_NEWORL594955)

Was it sanity that prevailed, or the judge's own interests?

:(

GKeeper316
6/23/2010, 11:10 AM
Pray tell, how exactly would air travel be possible without fossil fuels? Are you suggesting that we can somehow magically develop electric jet engines? :cool: Are you suggesting we can, within this centrury, move people and all commercial goods by road, rail and or water exclusively by electricity produced by solar and wind? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

just because current alternative energy sources cant power a passenger plane right now doesn't mean we wont be able to do it in 10-20 years.

Okla-homey
6/23/2010, 11:16 AM
So I assume you all heard the big development that the judge that passes the decision is tad bit biased? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=20100623_13_0_NEWORL594955)

:(

Apparently Marty Feldman has investments in oil companies. I suspect most federal judges in oil-producing states have investment portfolios containing oil company stocks. That did not require him to recuse himself. The White House is appealing. We'll see what the 5th Circuit, also in NOLA, does.

As to sanity, it was the right call. Why arbitrarily shutdown all US deepwater drilling in the Gulf for 6 months because of a single rig problem? That's like shutting down all airlines because of an airliner crash. That and the fact that seven other nations continue deep-water drilling in the Gulf, also in international waters, unaffected by BHO's executive order because they are not subject to the whims of the US president.

NormanPride
6/23/2010, 11:18 AM
There's a difference between a balanced portfolio with some BP stock thrown in there and "extensive" investments.

Okla-homey
6/23/2010, 11:19 AM
just because current alternative energy sources cant power a passenger plane right now doesn't mean we wont be able to do it in 10-20 years.

If anyone figures out a way to build a practical commercial airliner that runs on anything but dead dinosaur juice in the next 50 years, call me. I'll agree to kiss your buttocks on Campus Corner on a gameday and give you thirty minutes to draw a crowd.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2010, 12:03 PM

I'm all in favor of nuclear power. I just wish some researchers would get on the stick and find a way to make a viable fusion generator with positive power output. The problem right now (as I understand it) is the containment apparatus is so power-hungry it takes more juice to turn the buggers on than they produce. Fission has a lot of nasty side-effects and - like fossil fuels - a limited fuel supply.

OklahomaTuba
6/23/2010, 01:14 PM

:(The only thing biased is that article.

If you want to post some numbers, how about posting some numbers on exactly how many jobs have been lost and would be lost thanks to this dumb@ss drilling ban????