PDA

View Full Version : Give your OU testimony-2010 Edition

Collier11
6/21/2010, 03:42 PM
I grew up in a family that really wasnt into sports other than what I was playing. I watched sports on TV starting around the age of 7 id say, mainly baseball at first. I first discovered OU football at my Grandmas house one day, im guessing I was about 8 or 9. I was big into baseball (Cardinals) and NFL (Chiefs) starting around the same age (My family moved to Missouri from Oklahoma from 3rd-8th grade.) I started following OU as more than a casual observer around Gibbs last few years although I didnt get to go to any games as I lived in Missouri.

My 1st OU game as a fan in the stands was vs San Diego St in 1995, we won 38-22. I was 14 and it was my 2nd year back in Oklahoma. My next game to go to in person was Kansas of the same season, we got waxed. From 96-98 I only went to a cpl more games but right after Blake got fired I decided to buy season tix. Lucky me, my 1st season ever to own season tix was Stoops 1st year.

I kept them until the 2002 season when I transferred to OU to finish college and decided I would use the student tix instead. Once I finally graduated in 06' I obviously had to give up my student tix so I now tailgate for every home game just South of Louies on Campus, buying tix from those selling them on campus before the games.

Im 29 now and have witnessed some great moments in person, here are some of my highlights

Seeing one of my best HS friends play against OU in 01, he was a TE for Tulsa.

Being in the stands for The Superman play, I was in the opposite endzone

Being in the stands for every victory of the win streak we recently had against texass

Rushing the field after we beat Nebraska in 01, nearly got decapitated by the goal post

Seeing OU play in Seattle, Eugene (yep, that game), New Orleans, Pasadena, and Glendale. As you can tell, most of these were for losses but I still enjoy getting to travel when I can to follow our team around

Seeing Q score 6 TDs against texass

On to the next one...

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 03:49 PM
My 1st OU game as a fan in the stands was vs San Diego St in 1995, we won 38-22. I was 14 and it was my 2nd year back in Oklahoma. My next game to go to in person was Kansas of the same season, we got waxed.

After the second of Jerald Moore's cross-country jaunts, I figured we had that one in the bag. Then Kansas held the ball for the entrie second quarter, like a 20-play drive. Just an eternity. All downhill from there.

badger
6/21/2010, 03:55 PM
Hmmm... ok...

The first OU game I saw on TV was the 2001 Orange Bowl (aka 2000 National Championship). The first OU game I saw in person was 2001 North Carolina. I remember thinking that the scalpers were quite nuts and so were the fans. I thought perhaps it had something to do with post-championship bandwagondom.

The Oklahoma heat was absolutely killer that first game, even though it was a night game that ended in rain. But, Sooner fandom is infectious - all you have to do is attend a game, sit among rabid Sooner fans (I was in the student section, of course) to catch onto the chants, cheers et al... and this was even before the Led Zeppelin chant days.

Win or lose, nothing has convinced me that OU fans are not among the most passionate in the country. 2002 rain dance game (UTEP) 2003 Alabama on the road, 2008 Tech... the list goes on.

EDIT: As for my start on SoonerFans.com, you arsewholes insulted the band that I was a member of at the time because you thought it sounded less loud than usual, had crooked lines, played Boomer Sooner too much or something. I don't really remember what the lame discussion was about, but we all heard about it and a big stink was raised. What ever the issue was, it has passed and I think we've all moved on :)

oudavid1
6/21/2010, 04:03 PM
Rushing the field after we beat Nebraska in 01, nearly got decapitated by the goal post

That was 2000 man, i remember because it was the greatest OU game i had ever seen

swardboy
6/21/2010, 04:06 PM
First taste: Eddie Hinton & Granville Liggins in the Orange Bowl after we moved to Sapulpa, 8 years old. ('64?)...love affair ever since.

oudavid1
6/21/2010, 04:14 PM
My entire family is from Tennessee, thats where we settled after the (revolutionary) war. My grandfather (Buddy Leake) was the first in his family not to go to the real UT (Tennessee) and instead got offered by Oklahoma and went there. He played from 51'-54' and backed Billy Vessels and also set a few records that were not broken until Adrian Peterson. My mom and dad both went and graduated from OU (they were set up by some friends in a bar in Dallas after OU-Tx, we was a game we won btw) and spawned my 4 siblings and me. My 20 year old brother is at OU now and I will attend UCO next year but might transfer. Im one of the biggest OU football fans you'll me (but really, who wouldnt say that on this board). I have only missed one home game since 99 (01 Okie State) i love everything about this program and my greatest memory was the a fore mentioned OU-Nebraska game in 2000......i was on the goaline with a friend of mine on the endzone in which every single point was scored (14 by NEb in 1st quarter, 24 by OU 2nd qrt, 7 by the Sooners in the 3rd). I have had the same seats (section 3, row 13, seat 12) for 10 years via my dad and I'm now attending every OU-Tx game. OU-Texas is also my favorite time of the year.

NormanPride
6/21/2010, 04:21 PM
First game was the '99 OSU game. 44-7 I think. We sat in the north endzone and watched the backup toss a shovel pass to an OSU LB for their only score. Oops!

I remember blowing my lip apart playing my trumpet at halftime during the 2000 CCG and not even realizing it because it was so cold. I remember celebrating like a fool when we were up on Texas that year, and all the older members were yelling to shut up because we lost a lead just like it the year before. It was miserable weather-wise that day, but I couldn't tell you what it felt like, because I was so pumped up on Beat Texas juice that I didn't feel a thing. I almost died at the '02 Bama game where the freshman drank all the damn water. It was 108 and I ran my fat *** all over the stadium during the 3rd quarter. I was so delirious that the only play I remember after the second half is Bassey's miracle fumble return. I sat down for the postgame concert on the field, and didn't play much.

My first BBall game was a women's game. I went because baj was in the band and I wanted to see why she was so crazy about it. Hooked ever since... Our wedding night we ordered pizza and watched the women beat ISU in the Big 12 title game. :D

HBick
6/21/2010, 04:29 PM
I've only missed 4 home games since 1994. I was 6 years old for the first game, my Dad asked me if I wanted to go, my mother use too but didn't care, it was more of a social event for her, (she graduated from OSU, but has no care for sports). As my Dad puts it, I "suffered" through the bad years, I never knew any different until Stoops.

First player I vividly remember watching was De'mond Parker.

I witnessed the 6 year streak where we beat Texas in person.

I remember seeing the greats and the not so greats.

I also remember the Nebraska game in 2000.

I've also been to every Bedlam game since 2000, and every time I go to Stillwater I thank God for OU football and the colors crimson and cream.

DarrellZero
6/21/2010, 04:39 PM
I have only missed one home game since 99 (01 Okie State)

Maybe you really were there and have since blocked it out like the rest of us. :D

TahoeSOONER
6/21/2010, 04:52 PM
I grew up in Norman and could hear the crowd from my front porch as far back as I can remember. I went to a few games, remember Aikman and Nebraska rivalry (we'll miss them bugeaters) as a kid and have a picture of Steve Owens signing a ball when I was nine, still have the picture and ball. I left Oklahoma when I was fourteen, lived in California and Hawaii and now Nevada, but I'm a Okie and Sooner at heart.

My highlights are two RRS, two Nat'l title games 2000 Orange and 2003 Sugar, a Rose and Fiesta (W.V.). Went to Stoops 100th win in Seattle and love when they come out west for games.

Looking forward to the elusive #8 and getting back to beating * like a drum.

badger
6/21/2010, 04:54 PM
Maybe you really were there and have since blocked it out like the rest of us. :D

:les: The d@mn aggroids rushed our field! OUr field! In Norman! We win and we go to the Big 12 championship game! The Rose Bowl! THE FREAKIN' ROSE BOWL!!!!! No Big 12 team goes to the Rose Bowl - ever! It's like an unwritten rule! If we don't go now, we'll never get to go! Now Texas gets to go - there's no way that Texas loses to Colorado - they already beat them! They'll waltz right through them, probably beat them 70-3 or so. So angry... well, at least Nebraska pizzed their chances at another national title away too. No way they get invited after Texas wins the Big 12 and Colorado beats them. No way, no how. [hairGel]

Oh... I mean... what 2001 OSU game? Didn't we cancel Bedl@m that year? ;)

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/21/2010, 05:14 PM
I was born in California(hence, the name) but we moved to Oklahoma before my first birthday because my Dad's family all still lived in Oklahoma. My entire family on his side are absolute sports nuts, avid sports gamblers, and all die hard Sooners. I've heard the stories about Bud from my Grandpa, all about early Barry from my Dad and Uncle, and witnessed the end of Barry(even though I was very young,born in 82' but remember being in the stands.)

My first game that I actually remember being in the stands for was the 86' home opener against UCLA, we won 38-3. I've been going to games ever since then, even after we moved to texass in 92'. I've seen 3 National Championship games(saw us win in 00') in person, been to a total of 8 bowl games including the MNCs, witnessed the Oregon travesty, the Rose Bowl, Boise St, watched Superman fly, Q run all over texass, AD's first and last game, and was also there for that old drunk and blake. The craziest games I've seen at home(crowdwise) were NU in 00' and Tech in 08' but my first MNC will never be forgotten in 00' where we were so loud and proud. I still get goosebumps when I rewatch the game and remember being how it felt to be there. I've been given shat for wearing my crimson and cream proudly since I was a little tyke, especially while living in texass. The shat is always worse when we're down but like my pops always says, you wear it proudly when we win......and wear it proudly when we lose.

I've been extremely blessed to witness more than most Sooner fans get to in their lifetimes and I'm still 27 and hope I can experience half of what I already have as a Sooner in the rest of my lifetime.

KBoomer11
6/21/2010, 05:51 PM
Been going to games my whole life, I was lucky enough to go with my dad on most weekends as a little kid. Now, I'm a student at OU, never miss a home game and occasionally travel to away conference games.

Some of my favorite memories are my first RRR in 2000 when we won 63-14. Also, that Tech game in 08 was absolutely insane, I'll never forget that.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 06:52 PM
That was 2000 man, i remember because it was the greatest OU game i had ever seen

Thats what I meant, natl title year

Collier11
6/21/2010, 06:55 PM
Went to Stoops 100th win in Seattle and love when they come out west for games.

Was there, Seattle is alot of fun

Collier11
6/21/2010, 06:56 PM
I was born in California(hence, the name) but we moved to Oklahoma before my first birthday because my Dad's family all still lived in Oklahoma. My entire family on his side are absolute sports nuts, avid sports gamblers, and all die hard Sooners. I've heard the stories about Bud from my Grandpa, all about early Barry from my Dad and Uncle, and witnessed the end of Barry(even though I was very young,born in 82' but remember being in the stands.)

My first game that I actually remember being in the stands for was the 86' home opener against UCLA, we won 38-3. I've been going to games ever since then, even after we moved to texass in 92'. I've seen 3 National Championship games(saw us win in 00') in person, been to a total of 8 bowl games including the MNCs, witnessed the Oregon travesty, the Rose Bowl, Boise St, watched Superman fly, Q run all over texass, AD's first and last game, and was also there for that old drunk and blake. The craziest games I've seen at home(crowdwise) were NU in 00' and Tech in 08' but my first MNC will never be forgotten in 00' where we were so loud and proud. I still get goosebumps when I rewatch the game and remember being how it felt to be there. I've been given shat for wearing my crimson and cream proudly since I was a little tyke, especially while living in texass. The shat is always worse when we're down but like my pops always says, you wear it proudly when we win......and wear it proudly when we lose.

I've been extremely blessed to witness more than most Sooner fans get to in their lifetimes and I'm still 27 and hope I can experience half of what I already have as a Sooner in the rest of my lifetime.

Duh, I was there for both as well, cant believe I didnt list it

SunnySooner
6/21/2010, 07:13 PM
I grew up in Eastern BFE, OK with all of my dad's side of the family, and they were all rabid Sooner fans. Saturdays in the fall meant big spreads of food, aunts, uncles, cousins, inlaws and outlaws, everyone in their OU gear, and lots of whooping, hollering and yelling at the television as we watched The King stalk the sidelines. We have a ton of OU alums in the family, I'm married to one, I'm proud to be one, and maybe one day I'll be an OU mom. I have lots of great memories of games, but the best one is from this past season--I took my son to his first OU game, in Miami. Yeah, we lost by 1 point, but we sat surrounded by Sooners, he got his first real taste of what if felt like to be a part of the best fanbase ever, and it was very cool. As navy brats, I like that at least, no matter where we live, we're still Sooners.

And I somehow managed to give birth to him on October 5th, The King's birthday, which at the time I thought was hilarious. Maybe it was the drugs.

These are great stories, everyone, good thread.

AlbqSooner
6/21/2010, 07:21 PM
My parents got our first TV in Septmeber, 1954. We kids were allowed to pick what we watched from the 3 channels available in Muskogee at that time. The only exception was when OU was on THE college game of the week. OU was in the early stages of a 47 game win streak and I was hooked.

First game I saw in person was '62 OU vs Syracuse. About 7 minutes left and OU was down 3-0, ball at approximately mid field, and 3rd down and 7 or so. Ball was handed to a sophomore running back (freshmen were not eligible then) named Joe Don Looney. As he got to the line, 4 Syracuse players hit him and he disappeared - suddenly he came out the other side of the scrum and took it to the end zone. On the ensuing kickoff, the Syracuse returner took the ball very near the goal line and started upfield, gathering both a head of steam and a bit of an opening to his right hash mark. BOOM! one of the loudest collisions I have heard in football as another Sophomore, Ralph Neely, stood him straight up and planted him. The only collision I have seen in recent memory that compares was Ronnel Lewis in the Sun Bowl.

Been to 6 RRS. - Never been in the stands at that game when we lost.

oudavid1
6/21/2010, 07:33 PM

maybe it was the 99 OSU game, i was at the 01 game

Collier11
6/21/2010, 07:49 PM

Nor have I, maybe we should go to every OU-tx game together

Sooner Among The Pack
6/21/2010, 08:05 PM
Hmmm... ok...

The first OU game I saw on TV was the 2001 Orange Bowl (aka 2000 National Championship). The first OU game I saw in person was 2001 North Carolina. I remember thinking that the scalpers were quite nuts and so were the fans. I thought perhaps it had something to do with post-championship bandwagondom.

The Oklahoma heat was absolutely killer that first game, even though it was a night game that ended in rain. But, Sooner fandom is infectious - all you have to do is attend a game, sit among rabid Sooner fans (I was in the student section, of course) to catch onto the chants, cheers et al... and this was even before the Led Zeppelin chant days.

Win or lose, nothing has convinced me that OU fans are not among the most passionate in the country. 2002 rain dance game (UTEP) 2003 Alabama on the road, 2008 Tech... the list goes on.

Very similar story for me. I started watching OU games in 2000 after I decided to transfer in. First game was the UNC game to start 2001. Funny that my future father-in-law, some 6 years later, was at the game covering for his magazine Inside Carolina.

Didn't miss a home game in 2001, 2002, or 2003. Went to all three RRS in that span. Spent many hours sitting in front of the gate at Owen Field waiting to race to our seats.

My favorite home game was '03 against Oklahoma State. Aside from Nebraska '00, Hard to imagine a student section being as frenzied as it was for that one (though I hear Tech in '08 was eclipsed it). For dramatics, hard to beat Alabama in '02.

A personal favorite memory is a 39 degree rain and a total destruction of Iowa State in '02, and chanting Heisman to Seneca Wallace. Still funny to see him take snaps in the pros for Seattle.

Since then, I went to the east coast and didn't see the Sooners in person again until '07 against North Texas. Thankfully have been to several since '07, including the dismantling of Mizzou in San Antonio. They had NO CLUE how to act, before or after (though I'm still surprised they thought they could beat us that night).

PLaw
6/21/2010, 09:27 PM
GO BIG RED

1st game - 1971 Nebbish, Dad got us in with sherriff's passes. Sat in the student section in the top row of the corner. Heard new words that day.

1975 KU - Sat in some high dollar seats with my uncle's in-laws. Kept waiting for SOONER Magic, but Nolan Cromwell had our number that day.

1979 NU - Told Dad I wanted to go to the farm and watch it from the best seat in the house. Dad overruled that call. Billy busts the 1st play from scrimmage for about 80 but it gets called back on a holding penalty. No worries, OU rolls the steriod boys again.

August '83 - Watching the team and Marcus Dupree practice. Err, check that, watch Marcus chat up Coach Switzer while the team practices.

1983 tOSU - Sat in the North endzone in monsoon with a fraternity buddy from Tech. He became a closet OU fan that day even though we came up on the short end of the stick.

1985 The U - Jerome Brown(?) breaks Troy's leg. Back to the 'bone.

1989 texass - first time to go. How dumb am I?? Bought tickets from a scalper in the fair grounds and he assured me these were on the OU side. Got a cold drink, took my seat, looked around and saw a sea of puke orange.

2000 Baylor / Waco - Taking my son to his first OU game after the battles of October and OU back with NO. 1 ranking. BOOOMER!!

2006 Fiesta Bowl - Short handed OU meets BSU. Not a good day.

Strange, how you seem to remember the bad days vividly. That said, there have been way more good days being a Sooner than bad ones.

BOOMER SOONER!!

Stooper
6/21/2010, 10:41 PM
Went to my first game in 1982 with my Dad, we played Iowa State. I was 5. Our family got season tickets in 1991 and I haven't missed a home game since. Probably my best Sooner memory was staying at the team hotel for the 1987 Orange Bowl. We won 42 to 8, over Arkansas. The most fun home game to me was the 08 Texas Tech game. I saw an 80 year old woman " Jumping "!! I have been to every MNC except 2000, and every BCS game since then. I have an ou tatoo on my back and my 2 year old son is named Owen after Owen field. I love the Sooners as much as all of you guys, and couldn't be more proud to be a Soonerfan!! Boomer Sooner.

MeMyself&Me
6/21/2010, 11:11 PM
Grew up just 45 minutes from Norman so it seems natural that I'd end up following the Sooners. My parents weren't huge sports fans of any type but liked to put me in various sports when I was young. Football was the first sport that took hold for me when I started playing it at 8 (3rd grade was the youngest you could play where I lived). It was about the time that the Marcus Dupree thing was going on and since my name was similar, I heard a lot of talk about him. Beyond that, I don't remember a lot of OU bits except that I know I did follow them to the extent I could. I remember bits and pieces of the OU Miami game in Norman in the '80s. I remember the Nebraska game that followed that local radio station playing 'Nebraska Bites Back' (to the tune of 'You Gotta Have Faith') where Nebraska didn't have much of a bite after all. My first game that I got to attend was a Tulsa game in the mid '80s that my dad took me to and all I remember from it was Tulsa kicking it out of bounds on a kickoff over and over and over again, and then watching that episode over again on the news that night. I also remember clearly Switzer stepping down. Beyond that, I don't remember much. The bowl games were probably after my bed time (parents weren't sports fans, remember?).

Anyway, when I got old enough to drive ('91) and got a job, I started buying the tickets myself and got to attend a game or two a year. I was there when Schooner tipped over against Colorado. I think that was at this time but it may have been later. Also got to attend my first OU-Nebraska game during this time. I took a girlfriend to one game during this time who grew up in Iowa and was a huge hawkeye fan. I remember her looking up at the years on the press box and saying, with awe, "That's a lot of national championships". :-)

Then, in '93 I started attending OU. I got to see the end of the Gibbs era, Schnelly's year, and a few years of Blake before I graduated... yippie!!! Anyway, I was thrilled to buy the student season tickets for what I think was a mere $40 per year if I remember right. My first roommate was a huge aTm fan growing up and OU-aTm was that first home game our freshman year and we went to the game together. He was converted on that day for good. No more talking about how great aTm was.

Got to see two OU-Texas games during this time. Despite both being losses, I enjoyed the experience.

I met my wife at a party following the last time Syracuse came to Norman. Makes it easier to remember that date. :-)

Shortly after graduating, I left the state following work... work that usually meant working on Saturdays so I didn't get to see my Sooners very often for a while. I remember when someone told me that they'd hired Stoops, I asked who that was.

I didn't get back to Oklahoma until September 2000. What a good time to come home!!!. I took some friends from England to the Kansas game in Norman that year. Remember thinking that OU looked horrid and that they would get killed in Dallas the next week. HAH!!!

I attended the Kansas State game in Manhattan, Kansas following the win over Texas. Found out after the game that I was sitting by Carol Stoops the whole game.

Had to work during the Nebraska game. VCR recorded a blank screen for some reason so I have yet to see that game that people say is the greatest OU game ever. :-(

And I can remember few things that felt as good as watching the Sooners celebrate in the win over Florida State.

Happen to be in Tuscaloosa when OU was playing Alabama. Got myself a single from some kid standing outside the stadium. Fun experience.

The next time I had tickets to an OU game was the Missouri game in 2003. My youngest son came an entire month early and made me miss that game. He's now playing football.

I've moved out of Oklahoma again following work making it harder to get to the games again.

Didn't go to another OU game until the Tech game in 2008. I don't think I've ever had more fun at an OU game.

Went to the National Title game that year too. Not quite as fun. Just the thought of "Oh, it's great to be a Florida gator..." makes me grind my teeth.

Now that my kids are starting little league football which for some reason schedules their games on Saturday, it's getting harder and harder to catch OU, live at least.

A Sooner in Texas
6/21/2010, 11:20 PM
Thank god for AlbqSooner and Plaw...I was starting to feel very old. ;)
I don't think I even knew OU had a football team until the Game of the Century. Grew up in Bartlesville with Razorback parents, and of course all I ever heard about was the Hogs. Apparently there was no Razorback game on TV when we were visiting my grandparents in Arkansas one Thanksgiving weekend, and THE OU-NU game was on. I sat there, amazed, and became an instant OU convert. My first game in person was probably 1975, '76...sat in the south EZ and it was about 105 degrees. Fans dropping like flies everywhere. We won, of course. I went to nearly every home game from then on through 85 and then sporadically until '93 when we sadly moved to Baja Oklahoma. Went to one game against A&M at College Station, and we lost. Every game since then I've watched on TV.
All the great players and great games I've seen in person are too numerous to mention. What a thrill and what fun to be able to watch the cream of The King's coaching years.

goingoneight
6/21/2010, 11:24 PM
My very first OU game was when I was a wee goingonsix.

The home-opener of the 85 season. Don't ask me how it went, I have to admit it was before I really remember... anything. My Dad made sure of one thing, that I was about face for every OU game on TV from birthdate to present day. It's easy to become obsessed, I found.

Then came my grade school days. I began following the trendy 90's Cowboys and Chicago Jordans to make up for my disappointing Fall Saturdays. Just when I literally tossed my hands up in the air in my Sooner Fandom, we won three of the last four I think. I can remember everyone starting to say... "you know... I think this Blake guy may have got it going."

Those folks couldn't have been anymore vocal when he was ousted in favor of Mr. Stoops. That worked out quite well "in the end."

So backtracking a little to the 1999 season, I was thinking... "bowl."

You know... a winner of five games with a perceived better coach should be able to do that, right? I ended up getting wrapped up in every game; thinking woulda-coulda-shoulda on every loss.

Story short of the Stoops era... everytime I've made a season-opener in Norman, we've played for a National Championship. Except for this one year when we were supposed to play someone from the PAC 10 and it never ended up happening. I did make the opener that year, though.

On years I made every home game, we won it all. :D Sadly, that's only 2000, though. :(

So if someone wants to donate to the United Goingoneight Season Ticket Foundation, I'll be there to coach us to #8. Til then, I'll be about face in front of me new TeeVee for each Sooner game... home or away. :)

Oh, yes... I saw 63-14, 14-3, 12-0 and 28-21. So close I could feel the only gust of breeze that hot day in 2007 when Demarco came a racing by us. :P

ccmike9
6/22/2010, 03:56 AM
My dad's from OK, although after going away to college he's never moved back. I grew up in the Metro Detroit area. I was a Michigan fan my entire life. Half my family lives in OK, so I always had an interest in the Sooners, but I have to say that those Wolverines were my favorites until my Senior year in HS. When it came down to picking a college, I knew it would be between OU and UofM. I applied to and got into both, and decided I liked OU a hell of a lot better, plus it was wayyyyy cheaper. A win, win. My first OU game was the Idaho State game this last year, which was pretty cool because I got to go on the field before the game! So, I guess you could say I'm a Sooner convert; but I can assure you, I'm going to be a Sooner for life!

ccmike9
6/22/2010, 04:00 AM

Comin' again this year? We'd all like a win!:P

CU Sooner
6/22/2010, 08:49 AM
My first game I went to was against Elway and Stanford in '80. Rained the whole day. I remember in the 4th quarter telling my dad i was ready to go and he told me we weren't fair weather fans and if I was going to go to a game with him we would stay to the end no matter what. He told that is what a real fan does. To this day i will watch the entire game no matter what.
First real memory was sitting on the coffee table at home watching the greatest FG in Sooner history. I asked my brother why Von Schamann was waving his hands, then he nails the kick. I went crazy.
My Dad had season tickets and we always went. On away games, we would work and listen to John Brooks. No one better. Jiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiminy Christmas! makes me smile anytime i hear it.
Greatest memory at a game was Keith Jackson end around against NU in a game that should have been a shut out, except for a fumble in the last minute.
Made it through the great depression of the '90's which brings me to my second favorite moment. Q scores a td in the MNC game. I jumped up and yelled so much i almost passed out. One of the greatest feeling I've ever had.
When i got married I told my wife that there is only one steadfast rule, If OU is on TV in any sport it will be on until the end.

Soonerntxs
6/22/2010, 11:19 AM
It was 1978 and my dad took me to the practice field. This day changed my life forever... I played catch with Thomas Lott and JC Watts, rode on the shoulders of Kenny King, Steve Williams and Greg Roberts and got a chance to put on Uwe Von Schamanns helmet and hold the ball while he kicked it. Billy Simms then took my hand and walked me over to the water cooler and got me a cup of water. The players were all so kind and really enjoyed our being there to support them. I am now 40 years old and cherish this memory and thank these palyers and the University for this moment in my life. "LONG LIVE UNIVERSITY" BOOMER SOONER

badger
6/22/2010, 11:41 AM
My first BBall game was a women's game. I went because baj was in the band and I wanted to see why she was so crazy about it. Hooked ever since... Our wedding night we ordered pizza and watched the women beat ISU in the Big 12 title game. :D

This sounds like a good preseason thread on the bball board when the 'hottest' poll craziness dies down.

To make this football related, imagine OU having a road game at a school that doesn't really care about its football, or is getting blown out by the Sooners. Think the road game in Seattle... every trip to Waco... etc. etc. Basically, there are so few fans there that you have leg and elbow room in the stands - and players/coaches will notice if you yell stuff or try to start chants... and might actually participate!

:D This is why womens bball is fun... but I will save that for the inevitable bbal thread.

ictsooner7
6/25/2010, 07:57 PM
Dad went to OU in the mid 50's. Rumor is that he partied with the football team, he was VERY closed mouth about his activities before he got married. I caught the bug from him. Once my mom said, he’s a lot better about it now, but it use to be when OU lost dad would be mad for a week. My wife looked at me said that’s where you get it. I laughed my *** off.

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 08:20 PM
My parents got our first TV in Septmeber, 1954. We kids were allowed to pick what we watched from the 3 channels available in Muskogee at that time. The only exception was when OU was on THE college game of the week. OU was in the early stages of a 47 game win streak and I was hooked.

First game I saw in person was '62 OU vs Syracuse. About 7 minutes left and OU was down 3-0, ball at approximately mid field, and 3rd down and 7 or so. Ball was handed to a sophomore running back (freshmen were not eligible then) named Joe Don Looney. As he got to the line, 4 Syracuse players hit him and he disappeared - suddenly he came out the other side of the scrum and took it to the end zone. On the ensuing kickoff, the Syracuse returner took the ball very near the goal line and started upfield, gathering both a head of steam and a bit of an opening to his right hash mark. BOOM! one of the loudest collisions I have heard in football as another Sophomore, Ralph Neely, stood him straight up and planted him. The only collision I have seen in recent memory that compares was Ronnel Lewis in the Sun Bowl.

You OLD bastage
I was starting to become a fan in 72 or so Got Hooked when we Tied uSuc 7-7 in 73
Been Die hard ever since
Have i mentioned i hate uSucc?

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 08:26 PM
I watched the 04 Orange bowl
Dint give up till the last seconds had ticked
Then I put my fist thru the cabinet doors. The Walls and the Bathroom door .

Then I fixed em years later

JLEW1818
6/25/2010, 10:21 PM
all family is from Oklahoma, both sides. many alumni

grew up my entire life in Houston. (summers and Holidays in Oklahoma)

while watching the Rockets dominate 2 championships, Astros being good, Oilers leaving us, the College team was Oklahoma. We stunk in the 90's, but i always heard we were really good in the 70's, and some in the 80's.... "before my time" the fam would say.

so basically my childhood memories on OU Football were very bad .

well i stuck with them. I remember a Florida Defensive coordinator being hired in December of 1998.

I'm 22 FYI

Flagstaffsooner
6/26/2010, 04:34 AM
This is silly. I grew up OU. I was born in June of 56 concieved in Sept 55. #1
My first game I was suckin on a Crimson nipple.

My first words were "Beat texass!".

Sooner Born and Sooner Bred

owenfieldreams
6/26/2010, 09:01 AM
Is there a prize for earliest signs of "Sooner Magic"? I was destined to be a Sooner fan before I was born. My father's best friend @ OU and my eventual God Father was Waddy Young, all-american TE in the late 30's who was killed in WWII.

While I experienced a brief love affair with the famed "aerial circus" of the SMU Mustangs (Doak Walker, Kyle Rote, etc.) in the late 40's, early 50's, I came to my senses in the mid 50's, during the streak, when I wrote Coach Wilkinson asking for his help in supporting a debate question I was involved in in junior high. He wrote me a letter agreeing with my position in the debate and my team won.

My first actual game was the home opener in '58 vs West Virginia. My first T-O game was in '63. My relationship with OU football was permanently cemented when I married the sister of 2 former Wilkinson players, one of whom went on to become President of the OU B.O.R. & he is the one who actually offered the HC job to Switzer after Fairbanks resigned. Through this family connection I have been fortunate to meet and become friends with the likes of Jimmy Harris, Gene Calame, & the O'Neals.

I have lived in Texas for 46 of my 68 years and my passion for OU football has never waivered. Three of my four children attended UT, my fourth went to OU. My oldest was a Texas Cowboy (those guys that guard the cannon on the field in their black hats and leggins. Even under these extreme circumstances, he remained an OU fan throughout his entire career @ UT.

I have hosted Switzer and his staff in my home and have numerous friends who have played for OU through the years. I am bringing my 7 year old grandson to his first OU game this year. I can hardly wait.His dad was a walk-on kicker @ UT. I have an uphill battle but I refuse to lose the boy to the Sips.

A-M
6/26/2010, 11:27 AM
I am sooner born and sooner bred. Our first TV was a B&W 9 inch screen and I was lucky enough to watch some of the 47 winning streak. I was not so lucky and watched us lose to ND. A lot of tears were shed by me that day. Went to first game at Owen field in '59 on Band day. Went each year after that until 63. Lived in KS towards the end of The Kings time and they didn't show much of OU football on TV after that until Stoops brought them back to life in 2000. Really bad back and knees make it impossible for me to attend home games now, so I keep my grandkids so my son and his wife can attend the games now. Moved back to OKC and am redoing my home with OU theme in each room. Only living room left to finish and every room is OU crimson and cream everywhere. Even purchased new dishes, pots and pans, glasses, serving dishes. Made OU curtins for each room. Am on vacation in PA wearing an OU outfit now. Ride a motorcycle and have an OU flag attached to the trunk. Have had people yell 'Boomer' to me as I drive through the little towns. Of course, they hear a very loud 'Sooner' back from me! Can't imagine not being a sooner, win or lose, that's who I am.

NMSooner'80
6/27/2010, 01:12 PM
Both parents went to OU and graduated in 1956. I came along not quite two years later during the 47-game streak. We lived in Marlow at the time.

We did move to the Bay Area for 4 1/2 years, so I wasn't really exposed to OU football until fourth grade (fall of '67). I knew my parents were grads, but we didn't get many of the games out west. But I do remember the '67 OU-Nebraska game from Lincoln on TV. Some big sophomore RB named Owens caught my attention during that OU win. I couldn't wait to watch the bowl game when my dad mentioned it was going to be on TV on New Year's Night. OU was playing Tennessee that night and won a thriller, 26-24.

Our family moved back to Oklahoma five months later, and the transformation was complete. My dad took me to the 1970 OU-Mizzou game for my birthday, and that really got me hooked for good on Sooner football.

Ten years after that, I graduated from OU. :)

MyT Oklahoma
6/27/2010, 02:16 PM
I grew up in Osage City, Kansas and never got excited about Sooner football until the 1971 OU/KSU game. I heard the final score on my way home (plus all of the NCAA records that were broken that day) from a high school cross country meet and nearly died laughing.

I can still remember the OU/Nebraska game on Thanksgiving Day 1971 at Aunt Loretta's house. All of the men packed the living room to watch one of the greatest college football games ever played.

I listened to games on the radio for years ("This is the voice of the Sooner Football Network.") before finally seeing OU in person in 1974 against KU in Lawrence. My first road trip to The Snake Pit was in 1978 to watch Billy Sims run for over 200 yards against Kansas State. The 1978 OU/Nebraska loss is still the game that I regret losing the most.

I've been to four OU/Texas games (1986, 1987, 1988 and 1989) and also got to visit Commerce Street. Burp!

But my favorite memories are taking my daughter to OU games (the Sooners are 8 and 0 when were both in attendence). That plus the fact that my daughter's favorite college football team is OU of course. I wonder how that happened.

After all of these years I can take the losses a whole lot better than I did 30+ years ago but my passion has not faded one bit. I was born to be a Sooner fan.

HateTheWhorns
6/28/2010, 12:40 PM
The first game I remember watching was the loss to SMU in the Astro Bluebonnet bowl (1968 or 1969?)

The first game I remember attending was the loss to TU in the 1970 game (the first game we ran the wishbone).

The greatest games I ever attended were the 1971 and 2000 OU-Nebraska games (without a doubt). The romps over TU in the early 2000s and the 1978 tOSU game rank a close 3rd, 4th, and 5th.