PDA

View Full Version : Money, it's a gas...grab that cash with both hands...and make a stash

JohnnyMack
6/20/2010, 10:27 PM
Yep. We got paid. OU and the stewards entrusted with protecting our interests arranged a nice payday for us. We'll come close to doubling our revenue when this new TV contract comes about. Sure is a good thing.

But wait a minute. Something doesn't quite feel right. I mean I know the Sooner Nation is gonna get a ton of money out of this deal, but if we do the basic math, it still seems like maybe, just maybe the TV guys might have outfoxed the fine folks from the universities.

So the new Big 12, 10, whatever the hell we wanna call it will have a payout that looks approximately like this:

Texas: 25 million
OU: 20 million
Aggie: 20 million
Everyone else: at most 17 million

Rough math tells me the max value of the contract would be around $184 million dollars, or an average of 18.4 million per team. That's the high end, if what we've heard is correct.

That's a lot of money, don't get me wrong. But I have to wonder what would have happened if the PAC-16 had materialized. What kind of number could have been thought up by someone as imaginative as Larry Scott appears to be? What would have been the total value of the PAC-16 contract and the per team payout had the schools all banded together and headed into negotiations? For some reason I think an 18.4 million dollar average would have been easy to come by.

The other thing that I'm wondering is what would have happened to the sponsorship deals with the major corporations who put forth major dollars to promote their products alongside the existing Big 12? I would have to imagine we would have seen some significant upheavel in terms of corporate sponsorship pecking order if the Big 12 as we knew it folded and the current sponsors didn't have a conference to sponsor any more. I wonder if their was any sort of financial incentive on the part of these sponsors to maintain the status quo? I mean I'd never use the word kickback, but I'd sure be interested to know if and what was promised on behalf of these corporations who have pumped countless dollars, time, energy, resources, did I mention dollars? Yes, I did.

At the end of all this OU got a healthy pay raise. We also got a conference that has a smaller footprint in terms of television sets it plays in front of, lost the exposure brought about by our CCG and are left with few prospects that are equal in stature to the northern stars who left for more sound, and dare I say sane, pastures. I sincerely hope this all works out, but I feel like this is simply the arranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic and that the long term die has already been cast when it comes to the direction college football is headed.

goingoneight
6/20/2010, 10:49 PM
The only thing that really stinks to me right now is honoring the defections and still calling us the BIG 12. So, we don't want any part of buying the "BIG TEN" name... that's fine... but we look retarded calling 10... 12.

It cannot be too hard to find a name for a smal conference of ten teams.

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2010, 10:59 PM
Why the hell does Texas get 25$ Million and we get 20? Is the extra 5 because they have exactly half our conference championships and same number of National Championships in Big XII play?

Collier11
6/20/2010, 11:19 PM
I think those estimates include money from a private TV network deal

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/20/2010, 11:23 PM
I see, the longhorns are like the Yankees without the ****loads of success part

boomersooner28
6/21/2010, 09:39 AM
Texas gets all the money because they have all the viewership. Us Okies can cry all we want about money and feel second rate to Texas but the fact of the matter is Oklahoma has 3 million people and Texas has 24 million people.

fadada1
6/21/2010, 10:08 AM
texas can kiss my ***. screw them. asshats.

olevetonahill
6/21/2010, 10:11 AM
Texas gets all the money because they have all the viewership. Us Okies can cry all we want about money and feel second rate to Texas but the fact of the matter is Oklahoma has 3 million people and Texas has 24 million people.

Oklahoma has a brazillion Fans
Saxet has a brazillion T-shirts;)

Jacie
6/21/2010, 10:17 AM
At least OU doesn't have to play in Eugene every fourth year . . .

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 10:19 AM
The only thing that really stinks to me right now is honoring the defections and still calling us the BIG 12. So, we don't want any part of buying the "BIG TEN" name... that's fine... but we look retarded calling 10... 12.

Big 12

hgarmorer
6/21/2010, 11:25 AM
Oklahoma has a brazillion Fans
Saxet has a brazillion T-shirts;)

All I read was ....BRA.....
....BRA....

KBoomer11
6/21/2010, 03:58 PM

Big Twen

Serge Ibaka
6/21/2010, 04:03 PM
The Great Plains Conference

Stitch Face
6/21/2010, 04:26 PM
We should start a thread for naming the conference.

Big Red Ron
6/21/2010, 05:59 PM
In addition to the 20 Mill, we are starting the OU Sports Network for subscription. You'd be surprised at how many OU fans there are in Southern California (I'm from Long Beach). I know there are tons of OU fans in Houston and Dallas. It will not have as many subscribers as other schools with their own network but it'll be enough to bring in some serious dough!

ndpruitt03
6/21/2010, 06:31 PM
There may not even be any money our way. Not near what was promised anyway.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/no-resolution-on-revenue-from-big-12-exits-754668.html

olevetonahill
6/21/2010, 09:18 PM
Nick theres 2 different payouts here
pay tention:rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
6/22/2010, 08:45 AM
Yep. We got paid. OU and the stewards entrusted with protecting our interests arranged a nice payday for us. We'll come close to doubling our revenue when this new TV contract comes about. Sure is a good thing.

But wait a minute. Something doesn't quite feel right. I mean I know the Sooner Nation is gonna get a ton of money out of this deal, but if we do the basic math, it still seems like maybe, just maybe the TV guys might have outfoxed the fine folks from the universities.

So the new Big 12, 10, whatever the hell we wanna call it will have a payout that looks approximately like this:

Texas: 25 million
OU: 20 million
Aggie: 20 million
Everyone else: at most 17 million

Rough math tells me the max value of the contract would be around $184 million dollars, or an average of 18.4 million per team. That's the high end, if what we've heard is correct.

That's a lot of money, don't get me wrong. But I have to wonder what would have happened if the PAC-16 had materialized. What kind of number could have been thought up by someone as imaginative as Larry Scott appears to be? What would have been the total value of the PAC-16 contract and the per team payout had the schools all banded together and headed into negotiations? For some reason I think an 18.4 million dollar average would have been easy to come by.

The other thing that I'm wondering is what would have happened to the sponsorship deals with the major corporations who put forth major dollars to promote their products alongside the existing Big 12? I would have to imagine we would have seen some significant upheavel in terms of corporate sponsorship pecking order if the Big 12 as we knew it folded and the current sponsors didn't have a conference to sponsor any more. I wonder if their was any sort of financial incentive on the part of these sponsors to maintain the status quo? I mean I'd never use the word kickback, but I'd sure be interested to know if and what was promised on behalf of these corporations who have pumped countless dollars, time, energy, resources, did I mention dollars? Yes, I did.

At the end of all this OU got a healthy pay raise. We also got a conference that has a smaller footprint in terms of television sets it plays in front of, lost the exposure brought about by our CCG and are left with few prospects that are equal in stature to the northern stars who left for more sound, and dare I say sane, pastures. I sincerely hope this all works out, but I feel like this is simply the arranging of the deck chairs on the Titanic and that the long term die has already been cast when it comes to the direction college football is headed.

Maybe JMack.. for the time being, it's simply a stall tactic.

Suppose Texas and Oklahoma want to eventually join the Pac 10/12 for Texas and SEC for Oklahoma. However, we don't want to take the hanger-oner of sand aggy, aggy, Baylor and you don't want Okie Lite. We also understand that for the time being, we don't want to get involved in a huge fight in our two respective legislatures. So.. what to do?

Well... suppose Powers and Boren talk this through. The decision is made to orchestrate a long term exit plan. But, first a little manipulation is in order. The other conferences, i.e., Big 10/11, Pac 10 and SEC don't want the midgets either.

So, it is leaked that conference realignment is in all school's best interest. Missouri is used as a tool knowing that the Big 10/11 really don't want them. Nebraska is used as the sacrificial lamb and Colorado is not significant enough.

so, the Pac 10 plays along (or is played) and extends an offer to the 5 schools in the Big 12 South and the Buffs. All the while, Powers and Boren are talking to the networks through Beebe (i.e. Dear ABC/ESPN.. we are about to jack up your contract with the SEC UNLESS you play ball with us right now). An internet media lackey is used, information is "leaked" through him that there is now interest in keeping the Big 12 together.

aggy is making noise about going to the SEC, but Texas and Ou know that the SEC will not make an offer unless the Pac 16 deal comes to fruition.

Texas is looked upon as a hero as is Ou. Texas has not only saved a home for its fellow Texas schools, but has increased its revenue. Ou has increased the revenue for Okie Lite but also saved the other Big 12 north schools.

The new alignment buys time for Texas to get fully operational its already fledgling cable television network and negotiations can resume in earnest with cable providers. Ou sees this as an opportunity to explore its cable possibilities as well and with the increase in television revenues, can apply some of those funds to this endeavor.

3 -4 years elapse. Realignment and superconferences becomes a pending reality. Texas can now go to the legislature and say, we saved these schools once and even increased their revenue. There's only two slots left in the Big 10/11 and those are for Neutered Dame and Texas. And our revenue increases dramatically because of our Longhorn Network, the Big 10/11 network. Ou does the same with its legislature and its release to the SEC.

Texas and Ou make out HUGE.

This is a chess game which is still in its infancy.

Stitch Face
6/22/2010, 09:52 AM
Quit making sense, whorn.

All of that is possible.

It's also possible the powers that be in the Big 12 are just doing whatever leads to the easiest money in the next couple of years and are making stuff up as they go.

Time will tell.

NormanPride
6/22/2010, 10:12 AM
I'm with Stitch. It's nice to think that they've got this great 5 year plan that will lead us to the promised land, but we know better. They're conservatives at heart and want to stick to what they have, while making more money. When the chips fall and the conference finally dissolves, we'd better hope that we can pull away from our respective little brothers, or everyone is boned.

JohnnyMack
6/22/2010, 10:24 AM

Suppose Texas and Oklahoma want to eventually join the Pac 10/12 for Texas and SEC for Oklahoma. However, we don't want to take the hanger-oner of sand aggy, aggy, Baylor and you don't want Okie Lite. We also understand that for the time being, we don't want to get involved in a huge fight in our two respective legislatures. So.. what to do?

Well... suppose Powers and Boren talk this through. The decision is made to orchestrate a long term exit plan. But, first a little manipulation is in order. The other conferences, i.e., Big 10/11, Pac 10 and SEC don't want the midgets either.

So, it is leaked that conference realignment is in all school's best interest. Missouri is used as a tool knowing that the Big 10/11 really don't want them. Nebraska is used as the sacrificial lamb and Colorado is not significant enough.

so, the Pac 10 plays along (or is played) and extends an offer to the 5 schools in the Big 12 South and the Buffs. All the while, Powers and Boren are talking to the networks through Beebe (i.e. Dear ABC/ESPN.. we are about to jack up your contract with the SEC UNLESS you play ball with us right now). An internet media lackey is used, information is "leaked" through him that there is now interest in keeping the Big 12 together.

aggy is making noise about going to the SEC, but Texas and Ou know that the SEC will not make an offer unless the Pac 16 deal comes to fruition.

Texas is looked upon as a hero as is Ou. Texas has not only saved a home for its fellow Texas schools, but has increased its revenue. Ou has increased the revenue for Okie Lite but also saved the other Big 12 north schools.

The new alignment buys time for Texas to get fully operational its already fledgling cable television network and negotiations can resume in earnest with cable providers. Ou sees this as an opportunity to explore its cable possibilities as well and with the increase in television revenues, can apply some of those funds to this endeavor.

3 -4 years elapse. Realignment and superconferences becomes a pending reality. Texas can now go to the legislature and say, we saved these schools once and even increased their revenue. There's only two slots left in the Big 10/11 and those are for Neutered Dame and Texas. And our revenue increases dramatically because of our Longhorn Network, the Big 10/11 network. Ou does the same with its legislature and its release to the SEC.

I would say that the inherent flaw in your argument is the notion that OU & Texas don't want little brothers to come along. I mean the PAC is littered with little brothers like Wazzu, Oregon State and Arizona.

The TV deal will be about increasing market share. Period. They need OU AND OSU to make the Oklahoma market more attractive. They need Texas AND Aggie to make the Dallas & Houston markets more attractive. I just don't see Texas going anywhere without OU and Aggie. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the collective ego of Texas is swollen (and possibly rightly so) over all the attention the university has received over conferences wanting it to join, but if Texas was sure of itself, it wouldn't have snatched up Beebe's deal in .0003 seconds.

Big Red Ron
6/22/2010, 11:30 AM
OSU's market share in Oklahoma is about 20% of what OU's is. Nobody needs Aggie lite to add Oklahoma's market. Besides, it isn't necessarily "Oklahoma's" TV market they are trying to get by adding OU. We have a significant national appeal that maybe 10 schools can claim like, ND, tOSU, USC, Texas, Bama, Florida, Miami, Michigan and PSU.

goingoneight
6/22/2010, 11:53 AM

Here's my thoughts on the hanger-on'ers. Boise State beat us only one time less than OSU beat us last decade. If BSU had to make a home-and-home against OU, would they still beat us? They're a lesser program. As is OSU. The fans in majority could care less, most would laugh to see OSU WAC'd. The problem is the powers that be don't want to separate OU and OSU. They say it's good for the state's biggest universities to "rival" one another.

PTB > fans' opinions. I don't see UF and FSU sharing a conference, but whatevuh. I think in their current state, OSU could become a yearly BCS buster in a MWC-esque environment. Big Daddy Boone has too much pride/arrogance/ignorance to let it happen though.
"We're in... it cost us; but we're in." -TBP
That was a statement regarding OSU's siding with Texas in the PAC-whatever deal a few weeks back. Don't you think a nice donation was made to ride coattails since he knew OU and TX were partnering wherever?

That said, I agree with much of what you say. We had to dump Nebbish off the wagon to get the wheels turning, and nobody seemed to notice Colorado fell off too.

delhalew
6/22/2010, 12:36 PM
Bottom line is we don't fit in the PAC10. It's also not fair to students in other sports.
Some day it may be inevitable, as I believe the money men will someday get their superconfrences.
If we are lucky, we shake off little brother (I think that would be unfortunate), and slide into the SEC. Otherwise, we get sucked into the Western confrence.
Either way, some day we will lose a conference that reflects us regionally. It will be sad, but we better be ready.

budbarrybob
6/24/2010, 05:57 PM
I'd bet a silver colored nickle that even if OU split with OSU, OU games would still command a great majority of OSU viewership based solely on the "I hope they lose" mentality.
Of course the viewership would drop after 5:00 left in the 2nd when the game is favorably decided for OU :D