PDA

View Full Version : shame on golloway for oredering his line-up

rawlingsHOH
6/20/2010, 09:35 PM
in a way to get bullpened like that.

#1 thing in making a line-up, get your better hitters near the top, #2 alternate R/L

oumartin
6/20/2010, 10:35 PM
so, you have won how many games as a collegiate baseball coach?

Collier11
6/20/2010, 10:43 PM

#1 thing in making a line-up, get your better hitters near the top, #2 alternate R/L

Neither of those are true in every case. BTW, we won!

You have no clue what Sonny knows about their lineup and how we matched up against them so for you to say this, especially after a win is weak sauce

colinreturn
6/20/2010, 10:44 PM
wow. this is a sorry post.

Eielson
6/20/2010, 10:46 PM
It looked like a mistake to me, and we definitely didn't win because of our hitting.

Collier11
6/20/2010, 10:48 PM
Baseball is baseball, nothing is conventional about it. We have won 50 games and are in the CWS in case you guys hadnt noticed. Also, We faced one of the top pitchers in the country for the 1st 5 innings, Sonny had his reasons

Also, 3 of our better hitters are slumping pretty good right now.

I dont see how the OP can say we got "bullpenned" when we won the game

ndpruitt03
6/20/2010, 10:50 PM
Who cares? We won and are in great shape to win a national title.

OKLA21FAN
6/20/2010, 10:59 PM
Baseball is baseball, nothing is conventional about it. We have won 50 games and are in the CWS in case you guys hadnt noticed. Also, We faced one of the top pitchers in the country for the 1st 5 innings, Sonny had his reasons

Also, 3 of our better hitters are slumping pretty good right now.

I dont see how the OP can say we got "bullpenned" when we won the game

this

bri
6/20/2010, 11:02 PM
Yeah, how dare that stupid ******* use the same lineup we've had for the past month or so. FIRE SUNNIE!

Sooner74
6/20/2010, 11:22 PM
This guy has a point though. Seitzer and Buechele are really slumping. These are the best pitchers in the game we are going to face and it is going to take some strategery.

Collier11
6/20/2010, 11:25 PM
what?

tommieharris91
6/20/2010, 11:34 PM

All I gotta say to this is, Lou Piniella and the Cubs are obsessed with this. It leads to a lot of black holes in lineups.

yankee
6/20/2010, 11:38 PM
This guy has a point though. Seitzer and Buechele are really slumping. These are the best pitchers in the game we are going to face and it is going to take some strategery.

good thing buechele his that home run eh? he may be slumping, but we're still winning...if he can come up with clutch hits like that (i also recall a 2 run double he hit a few games ago that broke the game open, can't remember who it was against), then i won't mind.

Collier11
6/20/2010, 11:46 PM
Pujols slumped for a good 2-3 weeks earlier this year, guess Larussa shoulda hit him in the 7 or 8 hole

bri
6/21/2010, 12:01 AM
This guy has a point though. Seitzer and Buechele are really slumping.

Good thing he split them up in the lineup, then.

C&CDean
6/21/2010, 08:17 AM
Here's your stupid card.

You're welcome.

stoopified
6/21/2010, 08:31 AM
Here's your stupid card.

You're welcome.:)

IronHorseSooner
6/21/2010, 10:05 AM
There are many things to consider when creating a line-up an only part of it has to do with the L-R matchups. Sometimes, there are Lefties who pitch better to righties, and vice versa. The same goes for hitters. Some guys are better high ball hitters; some are better low ball pitchers. If you have a speedy lead off guy, maybe you want hit left, regardless, to give that extra step or two going towards first base. Also, if you have a good base-stealing team, like we do, you might want more lefties, as it is more of a distraction to catchers to throw around them when stealing second. Then there's the fact that you want your best having as many hacks against a good starting pitcher as you can. Bottom line is that without knowledge to any of those things, we can't judge what Coach did. We won, and that's what mattered.

Sooner98
6/21/2010, 10:09 AM
Okay, I'll ask.

Oredering?

NormanPride
6/21/2010, 10:12 AM
Okay, I'll ask.

Oredering?

The team meal before the game. Our coach is ordering differently and it's screwing everything up. I mean, there's always leftover pot stickers now.

btk108
6/21/2010, 10:20 AM
sometimes we say things on here we wish we could take back, huh?

badger
6/21/2010, 10:36 AM
When I saw Bushyhead (lolololololol ok I'll stop laughing... hehehehehe... ok i'll stop laughing for real this time... why am I so immature?!) hit that homer, I asked NP where he was in the batting order, realizing that he must have been near the bottom because of how many hits we've had up to that point and that it was his first time at-bat.

Then, I asked if there was any strategy involved in having such a good hitter be near the bottom of the order, so as to not get caught off-guard in the order at a bad time during the game. NP said that you always have your best hitters at the top, 1-4.

Are we just that stacked, or did Sunny not want a weak spot in the order, just in case?

Am I just making up sh!t outta nowhere and not watching baseball too much, or do managers/coaches actually do that - put a good hitter later in the order so that you won't go a few innings without a good hitter up to bat? Or, do you just rank your hitters and have them go in that order (with a power hitter at 4, or course)?

Collier11
6/21/2010, 10:46 AM
Then, I asked if there was any strategy involved in having such a good hitter be near the bottom of the order, so as to not get caught off-guard in the order at a bad time during the game. NP said that you always have your best hitters at the top, 1-4.

Actually, there are a cpl of things in response to this.

1) It depends on how the hitters hit against certain types of pitchers
2) You dont always necessarily want the best hitters at the top, for example, in the 1 hole you need a high OBP guy over a higher average guy in most cases
3) Bushyhead by average is just the 5th highest batting average on the team
4) Reine and Ogle are higher lately cus they have been hot lately
5) Max white at #2 is a power guy, some coaches like OBP or Speed guys in the 2 hole, Sonny probably likes Max cus he helps protect Boosh who is our best hitter

Are we just that stacked, or did Sunny not want a weak spot in the order, just in case?

We are one of the better hitting teams in the country, none of our normal starters hit below .300

Eielson
6/21/2010, 10:50 AM
From what I've seen, which is admittedly not much, Bushyhead is mainly out there for his glove, and just happened to have a big day at the plate.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 10:53 AM
He can still stroke the ball a little, he is hitting .329 with 6 HRs and 38 RBIs but he isnt a prototype big hitting SS

Eielson
6/21/2010, 10:56 AM
He can still stroke the ball a little, he is hitting .329 with 6 HRs and 38 RBIs but he isnt a prototype big hitting SS

I'm not saying he's bad, but for our team, he's hitting right about where he should be.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 10:56 AM
yep

badger
6/21/2010, 11:06 AM
Awww, we are so stacking hitting-wise that a really good hitter has to hit late in the order?!?!? :D:D:D

NormanPride
6/21/2010, 11:15 AM
.329 in college is good-to-average, right?

Collier11
6/21/2010, 11:21 AM
In college, really good hitters hit .360-.400 id say, good hitters .320-.359 and average hitters .300-.320

Just My opinion

tommieharris91
6/21/2010, 11:31 AM
From what I've seen, which is admittedly not much, Bushyhead is mainly out there for his glove, and just happened to have a big day at the plate.

Yea, he has the worst OPS of any of the regular starters, so he is mostly there for his glove. That said, an .854 OPS in 250 ABs is a really strong season. He is a pretty good hitter, but there are better on this team.

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 11:31 AM
so, you have won how many games as a collegiate baseball coach?

i won more games as a collegiate player than SG ever did. fo sho!

Collier11
6/21/2010, 11:32 AM
and he happened to have a big game in game 1 of the CWS so ppl automatically assume he is one of our better hitters

Collier11
6/21/2010, 11:33 AM
i won more games as a player than SG ever did. fo sho!

Your OP is ridiculous and this one may be even less relevant

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 11:37 AM
and back to the premise....

specific order of batters have very little effect on total number of runs scored thru out the season. you learn that in sabermetrics 101.

the general idea is to simply have your better batters near the top, which golloway, and every other coach in the world, generally does.

but in addition, you don't let an opposing manager match you up to death in the late innings. by running a string a 5 LHHs in a row, you are just begging to get LOOGYed on.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 11:49 AM
worked out well for South Carolina didnt it

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 11:52 AM
worked out well for South Carolina didnt it

yes!

their bullpen went.... 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 SO.

Be thankful Buechy got his cheeks into one.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 11:54 AM
And you realize that if that game went to extras SC would basically be out of pitchers since he used 5 in 2 innings by the end of the 7th

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 12:00 PM
And you realize that if that game went to extras SC would basically be out of pitchers since he used 5 in 2 innings by the end of the 7th
nobody is out of pitching on Game 1 of the CWS.

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 12:02 PM
question is... how is erben after 55 pitches?

Collier11
6/21/2010, 12:02 PM
Of course in the WS you are going to use everyone that you have to but no coach wants to have to use starters as relievers on day 1

Collier11
6/21/2010, 12:03 PM
question is... how is erben after 55 pitches?

we have a day off, he should be fine. I guess Golloway doesnt trust Gibson or Chowning cus they arent sniffing the mound right now

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 12:06 PM
we have a day off, he should be fine. I guess Golloway doesnt trust Gibson or Chowning cus they arent sniffing the mound right now
right, i'd love to see one more guy he can count on. erben is a hoss but you want to keep him fresh too.

a little surprised duke didn't start the 9th with the 2 run lead. i know he liked the fact he didn't have to use him much at UVA.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 12:07 PM
Duke is our closer and has been for 2 years and he has done it very well, Golloway needs to be handing over the 9th to him unless Erben is just mowing guys down like he did against UVA in game 2

badger
6/21/2010, 12:08 PM

Remember when Wichita State did about the same thing at the final game of the Norman regional a few years back?

And the Sooner PA system serenades every ousted Shocker pitcher with...
"Cuz you had a bad day. You're taking one down. You sing a sad song just to turn it around."

(I wasn't there, but I heard about it from you all, lol)

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 12:14 PM
Duke is our closer and has been for 2 years and he has done it very well, Golloway needs to be handing over the 9th to him unless Erben is just mowing guys down like he did against UVA in game 2

seemed like an automatic move to me too. especially since erben's count was getting up there, and with the off day, you knew both would be fresh for game 2 also.

C&CDean
6/21/2010, 03:01 PM
Strategery only works if hitters hit and pitchers pitch.

Baseball is a funny game. Being a huge Cardinals fan, I've seen LaRussa manage us out of so many damned wins it's pathetic. He's also managed us to championships. Which means dick.

Having 5-straight lefties doesn't mean anything either way. If I'm not mistaken, several of those lefties actually have a higher BA against lefty pitchers. The dildo from SC pitched a different pitcher to 3 different batters. He got some outs. BFD. In the end, none of it mattered. We won the game. Much more critical than any of this bullpenning horse**** was Sunny's decision to walk the kid in the 9th to load the bases. That was some serious managing right there.

HBick
6/21/2010, 03:35 PM
wow. this is a sorry post.

if i had the ability to give you a rating on posts, you would positive points from me

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 03:58 PM
Strategery only works if hitters hit and pitchers pitch.

Baseball is a funny game. Being a huge Cardinals fan, I've seen LaRussa manage us out of so many damned wins it's pathetic. He's also managed us to championships. Which means dick.

Having 5-straight lefties doesn't mean anything either way. If I'm not mistaken, several of those lefties actually have a higher BA against lefty pitchers. The dildo from SC pitched a different pitcher to 3 different batters. He got some outs. BFD. In the end, none of it mattered. We won the game. Much more critical than any of this bullpenning horse**** was Sunny's decision to walk the kid in the 9th to load the bases. That was some serious managing right there.

sure it does. it means mediocre LHPs can go thru a string of batters without having to face a RH batter. platoon advantages are real.

just like that big goofy lefty from UVA that ate thru our LHs, throwing nothing but cement mixing 74-mph slidepiece.

as a cardinals fan, i'm sure you can appreciate trever miller. think if you could use him for 5 hitters in a row. lights out.

Collier11
6/21/2010, 06:58 PM
The diff, IMO is that the coach didnt use the matchups to his advantage in a smart way, he haphazardly (sp?) used pitcher after pitcher in the 7th, if the game had gone to extras he woulda been screwed cus he woulda likely had to use up one of his starters. I dont think he was smart about it at all and that proved out when Boosh crushed the HR off one of his substitutes in that inning

C&CDean
6/22/2010, 08:25 AM
sure it does. it means mediocre LHPs can go thru a string of batters without having to face a RH batter. platoon advantages are real.

just like that big goofy lefty from UVA that ate thru our LHs, throwing nothing but cement mixing 74-mph slidepiece.

as a cardinals fan, i'm sure you can appreciate trever miller. think if you could use him for 5 hitters in a row. lights out.

You'd have a point if those lefties hit worse against lefties. In OU's case, they don't. A couple of them hit even higher against lefties.

As for the 74-mph guy - when you've been looking at 93-mph bullets then you get a guy throwing 74-mph benders it takes a while to slow down and get wood on the ball.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/22/2010, 08:56 AM
get wood...

rawlingsHOH
6/22/2010, 09:13 AM
You'd have a point if those lefties hit worse against lefties. In OU's case, they don't. A couple of them hit even higher against lefties.

perhaps, though in a college season where a guy may only have 40 PAs against a LHPs. but i bet in bigger sample sizes it would be shown that they actually hit RHPs better.

the platoon differential is real and virtually universal!

the only LHH i've ever seen that has actually been better against LHPs, over the course of a career, is Ichiro. i'm sure there are a few others, but i'm unaware of them.

as a transplant in Dallas, i've become a Rangers fan, and it is one thing that frustrates me about Ron Washington, the lineup of: Andrus R, Young R, Kinsler R, Vlad R, Hamilton L, Murphy L, Smoak S (but significantly better L). he is just inviting his lefties to face more late-inning lefties than they otherwise would.

Collier11
6/22/2010, 11:50 AM
And im guessing that Washington knows more about baseball than you do as well

rawlingsHOH
6/22/2010, 12:41 PM
And im guessing that Washington knows more about baseball than you do as well

okay, and since i'm using a larussa and torre philosophy, i'll say larussa and torre > washington

fun game!

Collier11
6/22/2010, 12:52 PM
They dont just blindly do it, trust me as Im a Cardinals fan as well. Larussa prefers to mix them up but only if the numbers say he should