PDA

View Full Version : Gasland

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2010, 07:59 PM
If any of you hippies are going to watch Gasland on HBO tomorrow, you should also read CNG Now's complete debunking (http://www.energyindepth.org/2010/06/debunking-gasland/) of all the misrepresentations and plain old lies in the documentary.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled tom-foolery. :gary:

Leroy Lizard
6/20/2010, 08:22 PM
Someone should sue the director.

Veritas
6/20/2010, 10:58 PM
I'm sure it'll win an Oscar.

PDXsooner
6/20/2010, 10:59 PM
Without reading any of it, why does my gut tell me the truth lies somewhere in the middle?

Collier11
6/20/2010, 11:22 PM
Wasnt it proven that over half of the so called "facts" in Farenheit 911 proven to be false, mis-represented, or altered?

Okla-homey
6/21/2010, 06:45 AM
Methinks the central premise in "Gasland" is the caustic liquids pumped into the ground by gas drillers to break loose gas deposits eventually makes it into the water table in gas drilling areas. That, and FLAMING TAP WATER!11!!1 :eek:

Oh, and that gas companies like Chesapeake, etc. are EVILE!

Leroy Lizard
6/21/2010, 04:45 PM
They should show the movie like in the old days. A gas company representative appears on the screen and a piano player sounds out an ominous melody. The crowd boos.

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/21/2010, 04:50 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought they made a documentary about my ***

OUMallen
6/21/2010, 05:27 PM
Wasnt it proven that over half of the so called "facts" in Farenheit 911 proven to be false, mis-represented, or altered?

Almost all of Michael Moore's films are that way. He'll do "gotcha" interviews with unexpecting people, then when they look shocked he claims that means they're guilty.

Leroy Lizard
6/21/2010, 05:34 PM
Almost all of Michael Moore's films are that way. He'll do "gotcha" interviews with unexpecting people, then when they look shocked he claims that means they're guilty.

Especially receptionists. As if she is just going to wave in anyone that wants to see a CEO with no advance notice.

Make an appointment!

What amazes me is how many of my lib friends buy into it. People with Ph.D.'s that cannot see when they are being taken for a ride. And then some of them know Moore is full of crap, but think it's okay.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2010, 06:48 PM
Methinks the central premise in "Gasland" is the caustic liquids pumped into the ground by gas drillers to break loose gas deposits eventually makes it into the water table in gas drilling areas. That, and FLAMING TAP WATER!11!!1 :eek:

Oh, and that gas companies like Chesapeake, etc. are EVILE!

Yeah, that seems to be at least one of the main premises - frac water and gas mixing with drinking water. I'm not sure how they figure that's going to happen... the perforated portions of the wells in the Marcellus Shale (the one in NY & PA that everyone is having a hissy about) are between 4,000 and 8,500 feet below the surface - the deepest water wells are less than 1,000 feet in depth. That frac water isn't squeezing through 3,000 feet of shale and limestone.

Okla-homey
6/21/2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah, that seems to be at least one of the main premises - frac water and gas mixing with drinking water. I'm not sure how they figure that's going to happen... the perforated portions of the wells in the Marcellus Shale (the one in NY & PA that everyone is having a hissy about) are between 4,000 and 8,500 feet below the surface - the deepest water wells are less than 1,000 feet in depth. That frac water isn't squeezing through 3,000 feet of shale and limestone.

Nor do I suspect it would defy gravity and percolate upwards to the water table. Afterall, since g-g-grandpa installed the first hand-pump, we have used pumps to get that groundwater up out of the ground. At least since we stopped using "open" water wells with the bucket on the rope dealio.

Perhaps they think its somehow contaminating lakes and reservoirs through some kind of artesian spring action?

Anyhoo, I'm defintely watching. Gas production and transportation is vitally important to OUr state. Only by listening to the opponent's propaganda can we effectively refute it.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2010, 08:00 PM
I'm DVRing it. I'll get around to watching over the weekend maybe; we might have a screening of it at work too - if so, we'll probably some some engineers and field people giving us the straight dope afterwards. That'll be cool.

SoonerInKCMO
6/21/2010, 09:04 PM
. Gas production and transportation is vitally important to OUr state.

Nearly 11% (http://www.anga.us/wp-content/uploads/anga_fs_oklahoma_final_LowRes.pdf) of all jobs in Oklahoma are supported by natural gas.

Okla-homey
6/22/2010, 06:16 AM
Watched it. The producer traveled the gas producing states and interviewed just about every crack-pot who thinks living near a natural gas rig, pipeline, compressor station or processing facility made him or her sick.

These afflicteds complain of mysterious and difficult to diagnose afflictions, with symptoms that sound an awful lot like one of the various neuralgias commonly claimed by shammers and malingerers.

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/22/2010, 07:56 AM
I'm disappointed. I thought they made a documentary about my ***

:D

Ike
6/22/2010, 12:11 PM

I've heard from multiple sources that while the fracking is only supposed to affect the rock layer thats been leased, that this is often not likely to be the case....that the fracking can and does continue up or down much farther than it should. How often this occurs, and the extent of the fracking is unknown.

This shouldn't be surprising...fracking is not an exact science. It involves a lot of guesswork as to how much pressure to apply, and sometimes they probably overdo it by a lot.

In the event that to much fracking happens, it's certainly not impossible for the gas itself to travel up to the water supply. Considering that this is possible, and that the fracking itself is performed at very high pressures, it would not be impossible for some amount of fracking fluid to travel up to the water supply.

StoopTroup
6/22/2010, 12:20 PM
I'm calling Erin Brockovich before this gets out of hand.