PDA

View Full Version : My apologies and thanks to Castiglione

Peeb
6/20/2010, 11:37 AM

badger
6/20/2010, 12:02 PM
David Boren and OSU president Burns Hargis have an incredible working relationship in their united front of trying to get the most state funding for public higher education. Despite Boren's focus on improving academics and milking donors for new or renovated buildings during his time as OU president, I think that both he and Hargis really, really like their schools' athletic success. It, after all, is often the driving force behind alumni interest and donations.

Thus, I can see why OU would look out for its little brother.

Peeb
6/20/2010, 12:05 PM

delhalew
6/20/2010, 12:24 PM
It's big of you to admit you overreacted. This situation definitely got some emotions going. I still don't like were the conference is long term, but I feel Joe C. and Boren did a pretty good job making lemons into lemonade.

IronHorseSooner
6/20/2010, 01:23 PM
This actually doesn't shock me much. On a personal level, Boren and Hargis have been LOOONG time politicos (one on each side) in OK. There is a mutual respect there.

SoonerMom2
6/20/2010, 01:31 PM
I have always been a huge Boren fan. We owe him much not only in Norman, but as a State and a Nation.

I second that! What he has done throughout his life to support this Nation, Oklahoma and The University of Oklahoma has left a legacy that would be hard to match. Whatever position he has held, he leaves everything around him in much better shape. He has been sorely missed in the US Senate for his expertise but I am so happy he chose to return to Oklahoma and take over as President of The University of Oklahoma to make Oklahoma one of the premier universities in this Country with facilities second to none.

Serge Ibaka
6/20/2010, 02:00 PM
Okay great. Rah Rah JC and DB! I agree.

But I still feel like the best situation for little-brother State would have been the Pac-16 deal--if this new Big 12 experiment fails in 5 years, OU will have no troubles finding a good spot in a big conference. The same is not entirely true for OSU. If protecting OSU was a high priority, then forcing the new-conference issue should have been the move.

OKLA21FAN
6/20/2010, 02:16 PM
can someone post a link to said article?

TIA

okiedokie
6/20/2010, 02:20 PM
Okay great. Rah Rah JC and DB! I agree.

But I still feel like the best situation for little-brother State would have been the Pac-16 deal--if this new Big 12 experiment fails in 5 years, OU will have no troubles finding a good spot in a big conference. The same is not entirely true for OSU. If protecting OSU was a high priority, then forcing the new-conference issue should have been the move.

^^^^agree

Collier11
6/20/2010, 02:21 PM
As much as the fans of both schools dislike each other and each others programs, there is a great working relationship as Badg said. This is the same with ut, its just a fact.

Leroy Lizard
6/20/2010, 02:34 PM
And who came in here and said that we had to make decisions that benefited both OU and OSU?

By golly, I think it was me.

But you're right. Football rivalries are one thing; state health and reputation are another.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/20/2010, 02:47 PM
When did Burns Hargis become LosuR Pres? Wasn't he a radio or TV talking head for a while?

stoopified
6/20/2010, 02:52 PM
It's big of you to admit you overreacted. This situation definitely got some emotions going. I still don't like were the conference is long term, but I feel Joe C. and Boren did a pretty good job making lemons into lemonade.Bingo

StoopTroup
6/20/2010, 04:24 PM
Apology accepted flying dickwheel.

KBoomer11
6/20/2010, 04:29 PM
I was very skeptical of staying in the Big 12, but after listening to some interviews by Castiglione I realized that he definitely has the best interest of the university in mind and I trust whatever moves he makes for the university.

rawlingsHOH
6/20/2010, 06:35 PM
nobody knew nothing, except boren, joe and bob, and i'll roll with them.

SteelCitySooner
6/20/2010, 08:16 PM
Apology accepted flying dickwheel.

hey don't insult flying dickwheels..

Collier11
6/20/2010, 09:40 PM
nobody knew nothing, except boren, joe and bob, and i'll roll with them.

Oh but everyone knows everything, except for our stupid coaches and administrators

Peeb
6/20/2010, 10:03 PM

John Kochtoston
6/21/2010, 01:42 AM
Let's be honest: OU said it wouldn't leave OSU behind because Boren and other powers that be knew OU leaving the Big 12 without the Pokes would be a political non-starter in the Oklahoma Legislature. It sounds nice to say OU wanted to be united with OSU, but if Boren thought leaving OSU behind was politically possible, he'd do it if it was best for OU.

Serge Ibaka
6/21/2010, 01:07 PM
Let's be honest: OU said it wouldn't leave OSU behind because Boren and other powers that be knew OU leaving the Big 12 without the Pokes would be a political non-starter in the Oklahoma Legislature. It sounds nice to say OU wanted to be united with OSU, but if Boren thought leaving OSU behind was politically possible, he'd do it if it was best for OU.

I agree with this.

Serge Ibaka
6/21/2010, 01:13 PM
And in fact, if you read my earlier post, I still think OU f**ked Oklahoma State over more than they asserted any sort of extreme State-pride.

This new conference will suck. Oklahoma and Texas will get richer, and the other teams will not benefit much. It'll all end soon enough as the other conferences begin to expand and Oklahoma and Texas see themselves on the outside of new money-making opportunities and stuck within a conference with 8 crappy programs.

The super-conferences are the wave of the future. If the Sooners-in-power wanted to secure Oklahoma State a solid conference grounding, they should have used their clout to get OU and OSU into a better situation before they both miss the boat.

Peeb
6/21/2010, 10:42 PM

budbarrybob
6/24/2010, 06:04 PM

What I don't get is why the legislature would give a flying F where OU or OSU ended up. That to me is akin to affirmative action. Yeah lets promote the lesser university because its "fair" to all concerned. :mad:

Leroy Lizard
6/24/2010, 06:37 PM
What I don't get is why the legislature would give a flying F where OU or OSU ended up.

These are state universities. So.... why wouldn't they care?

I guess you lost me on this one.

Peeb
6/24/2010, 10:25 PM

Tear Down This Wall
6/25/2010, 11:55 AM
Baloney. They turned down an invitation to join the best conference in the country, the SEC. And, if they did it for the sake of Oklahoma State...? Garbage.

When this issue comes up again, they'll go wherever DeLoss Dodds tells them to go. Same for moving the RRS to JerryWorld. When DeLoss decides to leave the State Fair, Joe and Dave will pack up with him and follow like little lost puppies, releasing lame, self-congratulatory statements all the way.

The Big 12-2 sucks. They all disgust me. No one has any balls in this conference, least of all Joe and Dave.

Collier11
6/25/2010, 11:59 AM
Joe C. plainly said that a big reason was the travel aspect for fans. Im not sure how much of a diff that made but I have to assume it meant more than not letting osu fade away into the anight

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 12:23 PM
Baloney. They turned down an invitation to join the best conference in the country, the SEC. And, if they did it for the sake of Oklahoma State...? Garbage.

Let's keep the rivalry on the playing field. Moving over to the SEC and leaving OSU in a doomed Big XII would not be good for Oklahoma.

Although keep in mind that OSU is my third favorite school, behind OU and Tulsa. So I'm admittedly biased.

Tear Down This Wall
6/25/2010, 01:09 PM
Let's keep the rivalry on the playing field. Moving over to the SEC and leaving OSU in a doomed Big XII would not be good for Oklahoma.

It would be fine for us. We've already scrapped a legitimate rivalry with Nebraska, a rivalry that was actually competitive and meant something.

The dadgum Bedlam rivalry is worthless. They never beat us and their football program isn't worth a damn no matter how much money T. Boone Pickens pours into it.

I'd just as soon play Arkansas and LSU, and mix in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama every two or three years as I would stick with the pathetic likes of Oklahoma State...and Baylor and Texas Tech.

Vomit games. Baylor and their mismatched program and Texas Tech with their imitation team and plastic frog butt fans. Awful. We "chose" to stay with the whole lot of them because of poor little ol' Okie State and the hundreds of millions T. Boone has shoveled them?

Seems they're doing fine without our help. T. Boone didn't open up his check book because of us. They're just fine without us. All of this nonsense and falderal about academics and "brotherly" bullcrap. Absolutely nothing but baloney. They're getting money without us.

Sickening to the core. I hate to think that ease of schedule played a part in the thinking - but, after as many screw ups as we've had in big games since the 2003 Big 12 Championship, it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Dammit!

soonervegas
6/25/2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, thank you Joe C.

Thank you for being more interested in money then keeping clean programs. As I see ticket prices continue to increase and us take a short term money grab versus long term conference viability.....I begin to wonder, when is this type of tenacity going to be focused on keeping our programs clean? During your tenure I have seen:

Football probation
Basketball probation
Basketball probation again - coming soon to a 2 year ban on postseason near you

That's not counting any of the minor sports like gymnastics.

You are a red river rivarly site move away from becoming my personal Darth Vader.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 01:17 PM
It would be fine for us. We've already scrapped a legitimate rivalry with Nebraska, a rivalry that was actually competitive and meant something.

The dadgum OU-OSU rivalry is worthless. They never beat us and their football program isn't worth a damn no matter how much money T. Boone Pickens pours into it.

I'm not sure how T. Boone plays into this. But the question ultimately becomes: If OU bolts, does the Big XII survive? And if it doesn't, what happens to OSU?

If bolting to the SEC ends up putting OSU in a minor conference like Tulsa, then I wouldn't do it. Having two teams in a major conference is good for the state and I would love to see Tulsa move up to a stronger conference as well.

Leroy Lizard
6/25/2010, 01:21 PM
Yes, thank you Joe C.

Thank you for being more interested in money then keeping clean programs. As I see ticket prices continue to increase and us take a short term money grab versus long term conference viability.....I begin to wonder, when is this type of tenacity going to be focused on keeping our programs clean? During your tenure I have seen:

Football probation
Basketball probation
Basketball probation again - coming soon to a 2 year ban on postseason near you

That's not counting any of the minor sports like gymnastics.

You are a red river rivarly site move away from becoming my personal Darth Vader.

Actually, I think Joe C. has handled the probation problems quite well. Probation effects ended up being minor thanks to OU's cooperation and respect for the NCAA.

No AD can stamp out all instances of NCAA violations. But an AD can minimize the damage, and Joe C. has done that.

If you want to see a bad AD, check out USC. They got hammered not so much for the violations but their mishandling of the investigations. Thank God we don't have Mike Garrett as our AD. We could have easily ended up with huge penalties if we had displayed the arrogance that USC did.

cheezyq
6/25/2010, 02:33 PM
It's big of you to admit you overreacted. This situation definitely got some emotions going. I still don't like were the conference is long term, but I feel Joe C. and Boren did a pretty good job making lemons into lemonade.

I admit that this surprised me. I didn't prefer the ultimate outcome, but at the time many were freaking out that we might be screwed, Castiglione had already said they had two offers on the table - the SEC and the Pac10. For me, that was enough to say, "hey, we're going to be fine no matter what the outcome". Looking at all scenarios, I really couldn't see a way in which we would "lose", so to speak.

Then Boren pretty much confirmed my thoughts all along when he said, "Oklahoma, in the whole thing, we were positioned in a way where virtually we could not have lost."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5319856

There are some things I don't have confidence in about our Sooners, such as the defense in a big game...but our current administration has been MORE than diligent about making sure we remain viable on a national scale.

humblesooner
6/25/2010, 03:14 PM
I admit that this surprised me. I didn't prefer the ultimate outcome, but at the time many were freaking out that we might be screwed, Castiglione had already said they had two offers on the table - the SEC and the Pac10. For me, that was enough to say, "hey, we're going to be fine no matter what the outcome". Looking at all scenarios, I really couldn't see a way in which we would "lose", so to speak.

Then Boren pretty much confirmed my thoughts all along when he said, "Oklahoma, in the whole thing, we were positioned in a way where virtually we could not have lost."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5319856

There are some things I don't have confidence in about our Sooners, such as the defense in a big game...but our current administration has been MORE than diligent about making sure we remain viable on a national scale.

If Beebe (or any of the current or future administration) want to make a splash, now is the time to be setting up the game plan. When the TV contracts run out and the other BCS conferences are trying to gain teams is not the time to decide to see what can be done. The B12 needs to admit to themselves today that things are not going to stay status quo beyond about the next 5 years or so. Starting the planning process today is going to allow them to be able to implement a B12 survival move and let some other conference be on the auction block.
Wait 5 years to start planning and the B12 will be gone.

cheezyq
6/25/2010, 03:29 PM
If Beebe (or any of the current or future administration) want to make a splash, now is the time to be setting up the game plan. When the TV contracts run out and the other BCS conferences are trying to gain teams is not the time to decide to see what can be done. The B12 needs to admit to themselves today that things are not going to stay status quo beyond about the next 5 years or so. Starting the planning process today is going to allow them to be able to implement a B12 survival move and let some other conference be on the auction block.
Wait 5 years to start planning and the B12 will be gone.

Great point, although I was talking about the OU administration, not the Big12 administration.

Regarding your point, have we seen ANY indication that Beebe is proactive enough to do that? If there's anyone who lacks any kind of foresight and vision, it appears to be the fearless commissioner of the Big 12.

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 04:17 PM
The same ****ing idiots who say "**** Boren/Castiglione, etc." are the same ****ing idiots who want to fire all our coaches. Boren and Castiglione have brought this university back from damn-near death to a thriving, vibrant place. Anybody who doesn't see that is a moron of the highest order. What happened here with the conference realignment is just one more example of their cool heads prevailing - while some of our worst fans are throwing tantrums complete with flying spittle going everywhere.

Everyone knows the new Big 12/10 isn't going to last forever. When it folds, we'll be fine - since when that happens it probably means a playoff. Finally.

Dio
6/25/2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I had my "flying spittle" moments when I realized we were stuck with the little sisters for now, and my apologies to Rawlings for taking the brunt of that. The conference is weaker and will probably implode in the next few years, but we're not doomed or anything. We're f***ing OU.

Big Red Ron
6/25/2010, 05:42 PM
I'm sick and tired of the aggies riding our coattails. srsly

C&CDean
6/25/2010, 06:33 PM
I'm sick and tired of the aggies riding our coattails. srsly

Better than us riding theirs. Praise God we're not boonepickers, even though some of our fans act like it.

olevetonahill
6/25/2010, 08:12 PM
Ive said it before and Ill say it again
That Dean has a magic way with words;)

Dio
6/25/2010, 08:43 PM
That's not your way of saying he has a purdy mouth, is it? ;)

TAFBSooner
6/27/2010, 08:39 PM
Boren is working for the good of the whole state. At that level, he knows that OU's sports program is a big - make that huge - part of our success as a university, and as a major part of the state's infrastructure. OSU's success, at their level and compared to what it was last century, is also good for the state as a whole. Keeping OSU in a BCS conference is good for them and therefore for the state, and it certainly doesn't hurt us.

And as for dealing with OSU fans, all we have to do is let them know they're in because OU had their back. It's damn good being the big brother. :D

olevetonahill
6/27/2010, 09:15 PM
That's not your way of saying he has a purdy mouth, is it? ;)

Why Yes , Yes it is

Chuck Bao
6/28/2010, 12:57 PM
I like the decision and agree that the OU administration handled it correctly.

Honestly, I am surprised and angry that Nebraska bolted. I always respected them as a true rival and now they can rot in hell. If they were talking more about academics, I would understand.

This whole thing stinks for the athletes and the fans, especially the non-football sports. I get more angry the more I think about it.

For football, are you going to tell me that the center of the country won't get a major football conference because of TV contracts and money? This would have been the ultimate sell-out of the student athletes and the principles that should mean something. We have the athletes and we can compete and attract viewers on TV, dammit.

I don't agree with people talking about the demise of the Big XII. It will survive and compete because the athletes and fans still want to attend games close to home and rivalries close to home.

Nobody has yet explained the proposed super conferences in terms that I can understand or makes sense. Exclusion of current weaker rivals isn't a playoff system and it would probably just delay the inevitable.

While I appreciate the OU administion, I think that the Big XII people should all be fired for mishandling this mess. What the hell are they doing? I don't know the inside story, but they seem so lame and you would think representatives of our best and brightest would be able to come up with a more pro-active plan to support and promote athletics.

BigRedTradition
6/28/2010, 08:05 PM
I like the decision and agree that the OU administration handled it correctly.

Honestly, I am surprised and angry that Nebraska bolted. I always respected them as a true rival and now they can rot in hell. If they were talking more about academics, I would understand.

This whole thing stinks for the athletes and the fans, especially the non-football sports. I get more angry the more I think about it.

For football, are you going to tell me that the center of the country won't get a major football conference because of TV contracts and money? This would have been the ultimate sell-out of the student athletes and the principles that should mean something. We have the athletes and we can compete and attract viewers on TV, dammit.

I don't agree with people talking about the demise of the Big XII. It will survive and compete because the athletes and fans still want to attend games close to home and rivalries close to home.

Nobody has yet explained the proposed super conferences in terms that I can understand or makes sense. Exclusion of current weaker rivals isn't a playoff system and it would probably just delay the inevitable.

While I appreciate the OU administion, I think that the Big XII people should all be fired for mishandling this mess. What the hell are they doing? I don't know the inside story, but they seem so lame and you would think representatives of our best and brightest would be able to come up with a more pro-active plan to support and promote athletics.

Oklahoma decided to discontinue the annual rivalry (there is no other kind) with Nebraska with the formation of the Big 12, whilst keeping Texas as a rival.

Please tell me what rivalry exists in college football that meets two years on and two years off....

If OU played Texas with the same schedule, would it still be a rivalry? I have my doubts. Best of luck to OU. I have missed the rivalry for about 14 years.

MiccoMacey
6/29/2010, 10:30 AM
I don't begrudge Nebraska for leaving for what they believe will be greener pastures. Good luck to them in the Big Ten.

But this whole "OU killed the rivalry" crud is senseless. The Big Twelve killed the rivalry. The North/South divisions killed the rivalry.

It'd make absolutely no sense to play Nebraska (a conference member) and call them an OOC team two out of every four years. Either they count as a conference game or they don't. And if they count, then it'd screw up the whole system of picking a divisional winner. You can't have everyone else playing eight conference games and you play nine. Too many scenarios where it could just lead to a huge debate/brawl about divisional winners.

Again, good luck Nebraska in your new conference.

Chuck Bao
6/29/2010, 04:54 PM
I don't begrudge Nebraska for leaving for what they believe will be greener pastures. Good luck to them in the Big Ten.

But this whole "OU killed the rivalry" crud is senseless. The Big Twelve killed the rivalry. The North/South divisions killed the rivalry.

It'd make absolutely no sense to play Nebraska (a conference member) and call them an OOC team two out of every four years. Either they count as a conference game or they don't. And if they count, then it'd screw up the whole system of picking a divisional winner. You can't have everyone else playing eight conference games and you play nine. Too many scenarios where it could just lead to a huge debate/brawl about divisional winners.

Again, good luck Nebraska in your new conference.

I don't have any positive feelings for Nebraska, nor will I ever have, well not anymore. Clearly their fans rankle at the thought of ducking the fight with OU. And, I give them credit for that. But, I don't accept attempts to justify that the BigXII already destroyed the OU-NU rivalry. The excuses are historic, petty and just silly. They want to blame the BigXII. They want to blame Texas. They want to blame OU for sticking to Texas. If it is self interest- this move to the Big Ten - just state it outright. Man up that it is about money and geography. Accept the fact opposing fans are going to be pretty hostile this next year and the pipeline of athletes are going to get a bit drying. And while they are doing that they can keep in mind that OU was doing its own best self in keeping the league minus Colorado and Nebraska. We will be fine without them and the super conferences.