Mike Pence IN
Jeff Miller FL
Joe Barton TX

SicEmBaylor
6/19/2010, 03:03 PM
Mike Pence isn't an independent...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/19/2010, 03:07 PM
Mike Pence isn't an independent...I thought he was an R, too. The article mentioning the people had him listed wrong. I'll change the original designation in post #1

Okla-homey
6/19/2010, 04:00 PM
Here's what I don't get. I've read that a Halliburton subsidiary (Halliburton as every Okie knows, was first and foremost an oilfield service company) operated the rig. Specifically, Halliburton Energy Services.

Why then, aren't the usual suspects hatin' on Halliburton?:O

SicEmBaylor
6/19/2010, 04:06 PM
Here's what I don't get. I've read that a Halliburton subsidiary (Halliburton as every Okie knows, was first and foremost an oilfield service company) operated the rig. Specifically, Halliburton Energy Services.

I didn't hear much screaming about the no-bid contract they were recently awarded either.

delhalew
6/19/2010, 04:47 PM

I'm sure it's not because the lefties are smart enough to know that Halliburton just does whatever the company man says. Because they are not that smart.

I want to know why those who died are not being described as heroes for getting those who survived off the platform.

King Barry's Back
6/19/2010, 08:20 PM
Jo Bonner AL
John Boehner OH
Eric Cantor VA
Mike Pence IN
Jeff Miller FL
Joe Barton TX

I am following all this from Germany. Can you expand on this a bit?

What do you mean by "apologist for (the) apology"? Do you mean these five guys defended Barton (well, four since Barton himself is on the list) for his original comments? Or that they also apologize FOR Barton?

I don't get it. Thanks for clarifying.

Turd_Ferguson
6/19/2010, 08:33 PM

What do you mean by "apologist for (the) apology"? Do you mean these five guys defended Barton (well, four since Barton himself is on the list) for his original comments? Or that they also apologize FOR Barton?

I don't get it. Thanks for clarifying.Sah da tay my damie....sah da tay.

KC//CRIMSON
6/19/2010, 09:23 PM

Are they not under investigation for flaws in the cementing process?

6/19/2010, 11:37 PM

I don't get it. Thanks for clarifying.They shat on Barton, then he shat on himself, and the republican party, and the USA. Same old same old.

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2010, 12:29 AM
They shat on Barton, then he shat on himself, and the republican party, and the USA. Same old same old.

Barton's original statement was idiotic. Apologizing for his first remark was even more idiotic. I've always considered Barton something of an idiot anyway.

6/20/2010, 12:34 AM
Barton's original statement was idiotic. Apologizing for his first remark was even more idiotic. I've always considered Barton something of an idiot anyway.What he said was true, but he shouldn't have said it. For the R's to join the chorus of outrage from the D's and their media, was pathetic, and as bad or worse than Barton saying it in the first place, IMHO. IOW, yes.

Leroy Lizard
6/20/2010, 01:02 AM
What he said was true, but he shouldn't have said it. For the R's to join the chorus of outrage from the D's and their media, was pathetic, and as bad or worse than Barton saying it in the first place, IMHO. IOW, yes.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be best if the Repubs would think about what they plan to say, then stfu. Go ahead and type it all out, but don't hit the submit button.

6/20/2010, 01:15 AM
Maybe, just maybe, it would be best if the Repubs would think about what they plan to say, then stfu. Go ahead and type it all out, but don't hit the submit button.With all the blame effectively placed on BP by the media, the timing was hideous for criticizing Obama.

Okla-homey
6/20/2010, 07:38 AM
Are they not under investigation for flaws in the cementing process?

The lawsuits already filed name four defendants: BP; Halliburton (US); Transocean (owner of sunken Deepwater Horizon rig, incorp. in Switzerland for tax purposes, but generally a US firm), and; Cameron (Houston-based manufacturer of pressure control, flow control and compression systems used).

It's just surprising, to me at least, the public criticism is levelled almost entirely at BP. In fact, if you're a Brit, you might be inclined to take umbrage at the fact the three US firms involved aren't being publicly and loudly castigated.

Frozen Sooner
6/20/2010, 07:47 AM
Transocean (owner of sunken Deepwater Horizon rig, incorp. in Switzerland for tax purposes, but generally a US firm)

Just 'cause I happened to take a class dealing with this a week or so ago, Swiss tax law is kind of interesting when it comes to management and holding companies. They're subject to an 8.5% federal tax plus cantonal tax, which puts the total tax rate as anything from 17%-30% depending on the canton in which they're domiciled. However, they are only taxed (both at the federal and cantonal level) on activities within Switzerland-their income from activities wholly outside the Swiss borders are not taxable by any jurisdiction in Switzerland.

The EU is actually really upset at Switzerland over this, and they claim that this violates a couple of treaties that the EU has with Switzerland. Switzerland's response has basically been to tell the Court of Justice that they're not a member of the EU and to pound sand.

Okla-homey
6/20/2010, 08:00 AM
:D

Just 'cause I happened to take a class dealing with this a week or so ago, Swiss tax law is kind of interesting when it comes to management and holding companies. They're subject to an 8.5% federal tax plus cantonal tax, which puts the total tax rate as anything from 17%-30% depending on the canton in which they're domiciled. However, they are only taxed (both at the federal and cantonal level) on activities within Switzerland-their income from activities wholly outside the Swiss borders are not taxable by any jurisdiction in Switzerland.

Transocean was incorprated in the Caymans for while. That went sour, so they went to Suisse. And Transocean has fewer than ten employees working in Zug, the canton in which its incorporated. The other 25,000 work elsewhere. You must admit, its a pretty neat trick to avoid taxation.

The EU is actually really upset at Switzerland over this, and they claim that this violates a couple of treaties that the EU has with Switzerland. Switzerland's response has basically been to tell the Court of Justice that they're not a member of the EU and to pound sand.

Heh. Those wacky Swiss. :D

Frozen Sooner
6/20/2010, 08:33 AM
Heh. And coincidentally, Zug has the lowest Cantonal tax rate.

Okla-homey
6/20/2010, 10:10 AM
Heh. And coincidentally, Zug has the lowest Cantonal tax rate.

right around 18% I beleive.