PDA

View Full Version : An End Run For The Ages

PLaw
6/19/2010, 08:59 AM
With the new tv contract, wouldn't it be something if Nebbish renegged on the decision to head east and we could entice Arkansas away from the SEC? Despite the arky chancellor's comment, I believe Jerry and Frank are definitely on board. The tv money plus the opportunity for these schools to start their own network may do the trick. Now, that would be a Nebbish fumble-ruski for the ages.

Boomer

o0Dan0o
6/19/2010, 09:11 AM
I'd put the likelihood of that happening right up there with France leaving the European Union to become the 51st state...

Flagstaffsooner
6/19/2010, 09:26 AM
nu will not do that. Dr Tom is too stubborn to admit a mistake. The pig thing might happen. J Jones wants the XII title game to fill his pockets.

The Bones are Back
6/19/2010, 09:44 AM
nu will not do that. Dr Tom is too stubborn to admit a mistake. The pig thing might happen. J Jones wants the XII title game to fill his pockets.Mistake? Tom would you rather be in the Big-10 or the SWC-II? It will be interesting to see who made what mistakes in a couple years after Texas manipulated this entire thing for an easy out to the Championship game. Being an equal and extremely wanted member of a prestigious Conference or a Texas lap dog that lost every ounce of respect from across the nation. Mistake indeed!

delhalew
6/19/2010, 09:53 AM
Mistake? Tom would you rather be in the Big-10 or the SWC-II? It will be interesting to see who made what mistakes in a couple years after Texas manipulated this entire thing for an easy out to the Championship game. Being an equal and extremely wanted member of a prestigious Conference or a Texas lap dog that lost every ounce of respect from across the nation. Mistake indeed!

You have had two posts and you are not off to a good start.

PLaw
6/19/2010, 02:17 PM
Mistake? Tom would you rather be in the Big-10 or the SWC-II? It will be interesting to see who made what mistakes in a couple years after Texas manipulated this entire thing for an easy out to the Championship game. Being an equal and extremely wanted member of a prestigious Conference or a Texas lap dog that lost every ounce of respect from across the nation. Mistake indeed!

Hmmm, ask Joe Pa how that equal partner thing has been working out for the nittney lions. After 20 years, it's still the big x + 1.

Boomer

The Bones are Back
6/19/2010, 11:39 PM
Hmmm, ask Joe Pa how that equal partner thing has been working out for the nittney lions. After 20 years, it's still the big x + 1.

BoomerHow bout I ask Tom how it worked out after 7 decades to have Texas (via the puppet beebe) tell him he had two weeks to commit.

I think Joe Pa is much better off in the Big 10 then he ever would have been in the joke that was/is the Big XII.

soonervegas
6/20/2010, 11:27 AM
If you can't beat em.......leave em.

delhalew
6/20/2010, 12:31 PM
If you can't beat em.......leave em.

While your at it, leave a nasty note on the table and sneak out the back door. WEAK. SAUCE.

KantoSooner
6/25/2010, 07:27 AM
[QUOTE=

I think Joe Pa is much better off in the Big 10 then he ever would have been in the joke that was/is the Big XII.[/QUOTE]

On this front I must agree with you completely. PSU and the rest are far better off in the B10 than in any conference I can think of with the exception of the Big East or WAC. At least in the Big 10, Penn State is capable of winning some of the time. You will also enjoy thundering success in the 'Fat/Slow/White' conference. (I can't wait to see you play tOSU and lay a whipping on Meecheegan.)

Of course there's that pesky post season thing where someone, anyone from the SEC, Big 12 or Pac10 will wax yo azzes. But that's only one weekend a year and you can drink that pain away.

So, enjoy!

MeMyself&Me
6/25/2010, 07:35 AM
With the new tv contract...

The first problem with this idea is that there is no new tv contract. Only that the networks decided to keep the existing contract as is and that the conference members get more money by few members now taking a piece of the pie. Also, part of the 'extra money' members are getting is in the penalty money from Nebraska leaving. Nebraska bailing on the Big 10 offer would only make it where each member made less money than what has been talked about.

Sooner in Tampa
6/25/2010, 11:53 AM
:gary: The Bones are Back

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!!!!!

Who's next? :pop:

cheezyq
6/25/2010, 02:46 PM
With the new tv contract, wouldn't it be something if Nebbish renegged on the decision to head east and we could entice Arkansas away from the SEC? Despite the arky chancellor's comment, I believe Jerry and Frank are definitely on board. The tv money plus the opportunity for these schools to start their own network may do the trick. Now, that would be a Nebbish fumble-ruski for the ages.

Boomer

1. The numbers being thrown out there for the TV money and what-not are predicated on two things - a) ESPN honoring their current contract with the Big 12 at 10 teams, and b) the SPLIT of that money between the TEN teams, not twelve. As far as I know, there is no "new" TV contract, officially.
2. NU stands to make 20 million in the Big 10, plus the potential to join a research network that nets MORE money for several Big 10 schools. Coming back to the Big 12, the TV money gets redistributed around and since the remaining schools already promised OU/UT/ATM 20 million, that redistribution comes from what's left, meaning all those schools get less than the proposed 14-17 million.
3. Arkansas makes 17 million in the SEC. Joining the Big 12 would potentially put them at less than 14 million, which would be a plain stupid move.

Since the current TV contracts don't expire until 2012 and 2016, joining the Big 12 now doesn't make sense for any of those schools. Maybe in a few years an expansion plays out for the Big 12 (assuming a HUGE amount of money is involved), but I'm guessing that it will cause the Big 12 to fall apart completely, instead.

rawlingsHOH
6/25/2010, 03:29 PM
There's smoke.

Usually what Jerry Jones wants, he gets.

Herr Scholz
6/25/2010, 03:36 PM
How bout I ask Tom how it worked out after 7 decades to have Texas (via the puppet beebe) tell him he had two weeks to commit.

Why are all the husker fans on the interwebs so ignorant about this process? The university presidents voted on and implemented the timeline and ultimatum to stay or go.

Nope, Texas is to blame for all their troubles despite them being on the business end of MANY 11:1 votes (maybe they're the arrogant ones who can't play well with others, hmm?). Nope, it's all UT's fault. What a bunch of whiny girls. Go already.

PLaw
6/25/2010, 10:48 PM
1. The numbers being thrown out there for the TV money and what-not are predicated on two things - a) ESPN honoring their current contract with the Big 12 at 10 teams, and b) the SPLIT of that money between the TEN teams, not twelve. As far as I know, there is no "new" TV contract, officially.
2. NU stands to make 20 million in the Big 10, plus the potential to join a research network that nets MORE money for several Big 10 schools. Coming back to the Big 12, the TV money gets redistributed around and since the remaining schools already promised OU/UT/ATM 20 million, that redistribution comes from what's left, meaning all those schools get less than the proposed 14-17 million.
3. Arkansas makes 17 million in the SEC. Joining the Big 12 would potentially put them at less than 14 million, which would be a plain stupid move.

Since the current TV contracts don't expire until 2012 and 2016, joining the Big 12 now doesn't make sense for any of those schools. Maybe in a few years an expansion plays out for the Big 12 (assuming a HUGE amount of money is involved), but I'm guessing that it will cause the Big 12 to fall apart completely, instead.

The numbers don't work with two teams leaving the conference and redistributing to the other remaining schools. There should be around $17MM between Nebbish and CU. My understanding is that OU, UT and TAMU will get between $17-20MM per year and the other schools almost doubling their current take to the $12-13MM range.

It was reported that a network paid a premium to keep the conference together and the thought is the next contract will be in the SEC money range of $200+. That said, there is a new cash infusion that kept Texas, OU, and TAMU in the Big XII.

BOOMER