PDA

View Full Version : Pigs want in?

soonervegas
6/17/2010, 01:34 PM
Chip Brown twittered that Arkansas has asked about the possibility......

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 01:36 PM
Didn't the TV deal specify that nobody could join?

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 01:37 PM
I don't know what the TV deal said, but I'd be in favor of taking in Arkansas.

Let's add TCU as well, and we're back to the Big 12.

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 01:42 PM
TCU adds nothing though.

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 01:43 PM
But they get us back to 12, and 12 is a good number. :D

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/17/2010, 01:44 PM
I had heard that no schools would be added but that doesnt mean it cant change. :)

I'd like to see a school outside of texas but that seems like a decent trade. We wont find anyone of NUs stature in football but either of those schools are better than CU.

SteelClip49
6/17/2010, 01:44 PM
TCU adds a national title and a Heisman Trophy winner.

rawlingsHOH
6/17/2010, 01:45 PM

BYU?

KantoSooner
6/17/2010, 01:47 PM
How about the 'Backs and Cinncinnati....or Memphis? If we're going to live in the 'Big 12', we kind of have to go back to 12 again.

And have a conference championship...

And all of those add at least a little in the way of teevee market and aren't geographic stretches. (for those who felt that an extra 35 air minutes was a big deal).

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 01:51 PM
I like that the new conference has no conference championship game. Just one more hurdle that we don't need.

PrideTrombone
6/17/2010, 01:52 PM

In 1938.

Please tell me you're just playing Devil's Advocate and you don't really think TCU would be even a decent addition to the conference.

HuskerfaninOkieland
6/17/2010, 01:53 PM
Either Chip Brown is full of bevo's fecal matter again (which wouldn't be a big surprise) or Arkansas is trying to hide things because according to their AD, they are not interested in joining the Big 12

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5294472)

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long says the school has "no interest" in joining another conference amid speculation that the Razorbacks could be a candidate to move to the Big 12.

Long said Wednesday that Arkansas is happy in the Southeastern Conference. The Big 12 recently lost Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac-10, leaving it with 10 members.

Arkansas left the Southwest Conference and joined the SEC in 1991. Some of its old rivals from the Southwest Conference -- such as Texas and Texas A&M -- now play in the Big 12.

homerSimpsonsBrain
6/17/2010, 01:55 PM
In 1938.

Please tell me you're just playing Devil's Advocate and you don't really think TCU would be even a decent addition to the conference.

TCU has been more competitive nationally in the last 5 years than CU has been.

PrideTrombone
6/17/2010, 01:56 PM
If Arkansas wants in, then we better by God let them in. They're not Nebraska, but they're the program in closest proximity to the Big 12 with a somewhat national name. Plus pulling a team out of the SEC gives the Big 12 a lot of credibility all of a sudden.

PrideTrombone
6/17/2010, 01:57 PM
TCU has been more competitive nationally in the last 5 years than CU has been.

True, but we don't need any more Texas schools, we pretty much have the Texas TVs already. And that doesn't mean that their one title and one Heisman from 1938 are relevant all of a sudden.

Rocko
6/17/2010, 02:02 PM
Why not just hypothetically take Arkansas only and stick with 11, the Big 10 did it.

olevetonahill
6/17/2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2896505#post2896505

swardboy
Arkansas: Rabid state-wide support. Contiguous with Big XII states. Boss is huge supporter and fan. Me likee.

NormanPride
I'd be fine with that. We steal something from the SEC, and neither have a championship game. Then we all look like the big 10 where not everyone plays everyone, and ceaseless bitching ensues.

BoulderSooner79
6/17/2010, 02:07 PM
This thread is still in the bargaining stage.

Dio
6/17/2010, 02:11 PM
I don't know what the TV deal said, but I'd be in favor of taking in Arkansas.

Let's add BYU as well, and we're back to the Big 12.

Works for me

sooner59
6/17/2010, 02:22 PM
I am equally for and against staying with 10, adding Arky and staying with 11, or adding Arky and BYU and going back to 12. At this stage they all sound like equally good and bad ideas.

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2010, 02:23 PM
This might be the one thing that would cause a fistfight between myself and my father. He grew up in Arkansas and we still get testy about the games between OU and UA. I can't imagine us having to go to a game between the two.

goingoneight
6/17/2010, 02:30 PM
Don't worry about that, UA wouldn't win much. :D

OhU1
6/17/2010, 02:40 PM
BYU to the north, Arky to the south. That would create a lot more interesting conference. Hope something like that happens.

swardboy
6/17/2010, 02:42 PM
Well that settles it. Someone tell Beebe that SF.com says it's a "go".

badger
6/17/2010, 02:42 PM
Arky would be huge, but Mack hated playing them last decade - first Arky went and spoiled Texas' championship aspirations by beating them right before the RRS, then Arky goes and embarrasses them (but not beating them again) the next year... also right before the RRS. I thnk that Arky game was the final straw in the Chance Mock era (the next game, OU ushered in the Vince Young era with his first epic fail).

As such, even if Arky wanted in, I'm sure it would happen because of Texas angst. However, the SEC is far too established to let Arkansas ever be considered a rival of anyone, not even southern border boot-trophy "rival" LSU.

I am 100 percent for adding the Razorbacks, though, if they really are interested. The Cotton Bowl was a lot of fun, and an annual IRS (Illinois River Shootout) would be for the uber win.

StoopTroup
6/17/2010, 03:03 PM
No deal unless we get LSU and les smiles....

You can run les...but you can't hide. :D ;)

47straight
6/17/2010, 03:08 PM
Chip Brown reporting?

http://twitter.com/chipbrownieob

When the deal goes south, Chip Brown will report that it was because Arkansas' mom got a job working at the SEC bank.

badger
6/17/2010, 03:10 PM
Jerry Jones stands to lose a lot if the Big 12 championship game doesn't come to Jerryworld after this season (because with Nebbish gone, the 11-team Big 12 cannot host a conference championship anymore).

The fact that Texas legislators are trying to get more Texas schools in the Big 12, like Houston for example:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20100617_231_0_HOUSTO697673)

Probably doesn't help matters.

sluggo sooner
6/17/2010, 03:20 PM
I am equally for and against staying with 10, adding Arky and staying with 11, or adding Arky and BYU and going back to 12. At this stage they all sound like equally good and bad ideas.

I tend to agree with this sentiment - I am plum wore out by it all. Can't wait 'till they tee it up and start playing (however many and whomever they are).

rawlingsHOH
6/17/2010, 03:28 PM
Either Chip Brown is full of bevo's fecal matter again (which wouldn't be a big surprise) or Arkansas is trying to hide things because according to their AD, they are not interested in joining the Big 12

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long says the school has "no interest" in joining another conference amid speculation that the Razorbacks could be a candidate to move to the Big 12.

Long said Wednesday that Arkansas is happy in the Southeastern Conference. The Big 12 recently lost Nebraska to the Big Ten and Colorado to the Pac-10, leaving it with 10 members.

Arkansas left the Southwest Conference and joined the SEC in 1991. Some of its old rivals from the Southwest Conference -- such as Texas and Texas A&M -- now play in the Big 12.

Regardless if they did or didn't, they certainly wouldn't publicly say they want in. Haven't we already seen this episode?

rawlingsHOH
6/17/2010, 03:31 PM
Jerry Jones stands to lose a lot if the Big 12 championship game doesn't come to Jerryworld after this season (because with Nebbish gone, the 11-team Big 12 cannot host a conference championship anymore).

The fact that Texas legislators are trying to get more Texas schools in the Big 12, like Houston for example:

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20100617_231_0_HOUSTO697673)

Probably doesn't help matters.

yeah he does

OU Adonis
6/17/2010, 03:38 PM
If the Big 12 never expands it will eventually die IMO. Other conferences will expand again at some point.

badger
6/17/2010, 03:41 PM
Anyone else suspect that Jerry bribed Big 12's movers and shakers to guarantee the game ended up in his new shiny palace?

I don't see how else he could have gotten it for three straight years. That's unheard of, isn't it?

I'm not faulting anyone if that's true - bribes are what kept the Big 12 together and it's not against and laws or rules - but I really suspect that Jerry not only has a lot of lose if those games no longer exist, but also that he has already had a little bit of sunk cost action to get the games to come there in the first place.

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 03:52 PM
Actually, I think bribing someone for business IS against the law, isn't it?

Captain Cob Mob
6/17/2010, 03:57 PM
Chip Brown twittered that Arkansas has asked about the possibility......

Does anyone here honestly believe this?

badger
6/17/2010, 04:00 PM
Actually, I think bribing someone for business IS against the law, isn't it?

I use the term loosely. All of the sites likely bid (not bribe!) to be hosts of the cash cow game. The bid (not bribe!) likely includes up-front incentives, not just gameday revenue.

Thus, the most lucrative bid (not bribe!) is accepted by the Big 12 voters, incentives and all.

:P

budbarrybob
6/17/2010, 04:05 PM

Didn't the Huskers initially say they weren't leaving?

BudSooner
6/17/2010, 04:10 PM
I would say no if it were anyone else but this guy has been pretty damn accurate so far, I won't believe it however until the ink dries.

Crimson Kid
6/17/2010, 04:12 PM
Houston-area lawmakers make push for UH to join Big 12

More than two dozen Houston-area legislators put in writing their support Thursday for the University of Houston to gain admission to the Big 12 Conference. Texas representatives Garnet Coleman (D-Houston) and Bill Callegari (R-Katy) co-authored a letter asking Big 12 officials to consider UH for a spot in the 10-team conference. The letter will be sent to the Big 12 school presidents and the league office on Thursday. The delegation also sent copies of the letter championing the cause of UH’s admission into a Bowl Championship Series conference to Gov. Rick Perry, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and House Speaker Joe Straus.
“For years, UH has served as the academic cornerstone of a burgeoning metropolis known for its nexus to state, national, and global commerce and culture,” the letter said. “UH is the third largest university in Texas, and is on track to rank among the top research universities in this state. Despite UH's local and statewide prominence, the university does not belong to a strong BCS conference such as the Big 12. The Cougars, the City of Houston, and the State of Texas deserve better.”
The Big 12 teetered on the brink of collapse after Nebraska accepted an invitation last week to join the Big 10 and Colorado bolted for the Pac-10. Frenzied negotiations on Monday led to the league announcing that it would carry on with 10 members. Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe is on record saying the league has no plans to add any teams from within its five-state footprint (Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa). Coleman, whose District 147 includes the UH campus, said the Houston delegation isn’t about to give up that easily.
“I don’t quit,” Coleman said. “I don’t start something I’m not going to finish. If I didn’t think this was a worthy endeavor, I wouldn’t have started it. This is the beginning of this effort, not the end.”
UH was a member of the Southwest Conference from 1976-1995, appearing in four Cotton Bowls and three Final Fours during that time. When the SWC set the terms of its disbandment in 1994, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Baylor merged with the Big Eight to form the Big 12 and UH, Rice, TCU and SMU were left to fend for themselves. UH has been a member of Conference USA, which does not have automatic-qualifying status for the lucrative BCS bowl games, since 1996.
“The worst thing that can happen is to waste the potential that we have and the assets that we have,” Coleman said. “As a community and a state, UH is an asset. The institution deserves to be on the sports and academics stage. That will help the students in our schools across the state.”
UH last week unveiled plans to build a $120 million football stadium and to undertake a $40 million renovation of the Hofheinz Pavilion basketball facility. The legislators cited UH’s rich athletic tradition, as well as the success of a 2009 football team that climbed to as high as 12th in the nation. Outside the athletic realm, the legislators noted that UH has comparable or larger enrollments and endowments than several Big 12 schools. The letter also touted UH for having received more top-50 American Research University rankings than most of the Big 12.
“Clearly,” Coleman and Callegari wrote, “promoting UH to the Big 12 would put her in a class with her peers.”
The Houston legislators also urged Big 12 officials to consider the admission of TCU, a Mountain West Conference member than went 12-1 and finished sixth in the final rankings last season. A Fort Worth representative, Marc Veasey, has created a Facebook page entitled, “TCU should be invited to the Big 12. Coleman has created a Facebook page, “University of Houston Should Join The Big 12” that had attracted more than 1,100 members by early Thursday.
“I don’t think it’s that big a long shot,” Coleman said “I think the impediment right now is the split of the dollars. Once somebody has divided up a pie, they don’t want to have anybody else come in and get a piece of the pie. But I think UH pays its way in through our media market. I think we pay our way into any scenario by upping the amount of revenue that comes in through sports because of the media market.”
Coleman rejects the notion that Texas and Texas A&M dilute the impact UH would have in delivering the Houston television market to the Big 12.
“If we look at viral networks — viral being the expansion of something based on greater interest — the problem with the argument being made (that Texas and Texas A&M already capture the Houston market for the Big 12) is that it’s based on a static circumstance,” Coleman said. “I just totally disagree that the interest is only in those two schools on television in the Houston region.
“UT and A&M have been trying to claim Houston forever. No disrespect to them, but they don’t have an undergraduate institution in Houston — as much as they may want to have one. We have one.”
The situation reminds Coleman of what UH faced in trying to launch a campaign to achieve Tier One academic status.
“That’s the argument they made to have two Tier One universities, too: We just didn’t’ need any others,” Coleman said. “Excellence is when you have as much excellence as you can find, as much as you can create. There’s no reason to have limited excellence.”
The letter went out one day after a House committee of higher education cancelled a Wednesday hearing about intercollegiate about intercollegiate athletics in general and conference re-alignment in particular. Coleman said he expects the subject to come up during the next legislative session.
“We haven’t weighed in the way Houston can weigh in,” Coleman said. “That’s the first thing we have to do is weigh in in the best interests of the state, the best interests of our region, the best interests of our students. If I had it my way, it would be the Big 14 and you’d bring in Rice and SMU.”
Guitardeth is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

rawlingsHOH
6/17/2010, 04:20 PM
They might be interested.

bent rider
6/17/2010, 04:20 PM
Houston is the number 10 US TV market. Granted there are UT and aTm fans among that number, but economically it would be a good get. OU has lots of alums there as well. Arky, obviously would be good to steal from the SEC, and old rivals in the Big-12-ish. I like this combo. Or else take that FedEx money and add Memphis. Their football program might improve in a better conference eventually, until then about a $1M clams all around.

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 04:22 PM
If the pigs want in, they better come with a search warrant.

badger
6/17/2010, 04:25 PM
economically it would be a good get.

Nah, a 40k stadium (up from 25k, lol) in a television market we already control.

Conference should be capped at four teams from a single state max. The Pac 10 has Stanford, USC, Cal and UCLA, but half of those aren't beholden to state funds. The Big 12 has Baylor, Tech, UT and A&M already. Another school beholden to the Texas legislature just gives another bargaining chip to those uppity lone star reps south of the Red River.

If they really wanna add Houston, they need to take a different Texas school out of their four-team arrangement with the Big 12. I've already seen grumpy fans on TexAgs wanting Houston to take their spot so they can go to the SEC. Hehe still hoping to SECede. Hehe

long post short, Houston should consider the MWC if they want to end up in a BCS conference. Those guys might get an auto bid soon with the way they've been playing, even sans Utah.

soonervegas
6/17/2010, 04:27 PM
Although there is no way OU or UT is going to allow any expansion before the next contract.....I think the Big 12 could be viable LONG TERM with an Arky/BYU add.

WildBlueSooner
6/17/2010, 04:30 PM
The problem I see with taking Arky:

You steal a mediocre at best Arky and the SEC goes out and pulls in another powerhouse school, making the mighty SEC the mightest of all mighty things.

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 04:34 PM
Rumor has it, if Arkansas leaves, the SEC extends an invitation to the Saints.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/17/2010, 04:35 PM
Houston is the number 10 US TV market. Granted there are UT and aTm fans among that number, but economically it would be a good get. OU has lots of alums there as well. Arky, obviously would be good to steal from the SEC, and old rivals in the Big-12-ish. I like this combo. Or else take that FedEx money and add Memphis. Their football program might improve in a better conference eventually, until then about a $1M clams all around.

Nobody in Houston gives a rat's *** about UH. It's a commuter school.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/17/2010, 04:36 PM
Rumor has it, if Arkansas leaves, the SEC extends an invitation to the Saints.

Nah, I think the Saints would stick to the NFL because they actually have a salary cap.

swardboy
6/17/2010, 04:38 PM
The problem I see with taking Arky:

You steal a mediocre at best Arky and the SEC goes out and pulls in another powerhouse school, making the mighty SEC the mightest of all mighty things.

Like who?

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 04:39 PM
Nah, I think the Saints would stick to the NFL because they actually have a salary cap.

That's true. They have a hard enough time matching Reggie Bush's USC salary.

PLaw
6/17/2010, 04:45 PM

That is what has been reported by Chip Brown, but not sure it was ever confirmed.

I think Bob and what's his name, yellow teeth??, like the ten team league just the way it is currently aligned.

At SEC money, I think Arkansas would be a nice add. I just remember those old SWC basketball tournies at Reunion - fun times with the Hogs and Phi Slamma Jamma.

Boomer

silverwheels
6/17/2010, 04:50 PM
No to Houston or any other Texas school. Not only is the state pretty well covered by the conference already, but **** Texas.

And **** Arkansas, too, while we're at it. They give OSU fans a run for their money as far as inferiority complexes towards OU go. Let them continue to flounder in the SEC and pretend that they're worth half a ****.

The conference is fine the way it is, at least for now. I'd rather see it dissolve than add 2 more mid-majors and water down the conference, and SEC schools aren't going to leave that kind of money to come here.

WildBlueSooner
6/17/2010, 04:53 PM
Like who?

I dont know, but I do know it wouldnt be hard to improve from Arky

WildBlueSooner
6/17/2010, 04:54 PM
No to Houston or any other Texas school. Not only is the state pretty well covered by the conference already, but **** Texas.

And **** Arkansas, too, while we're at it. They give OSU fans a run for their money as far as inferiority complexes towards OU go. Let them continue to flounder in the SEC and pretend that they're worth half a ****.

The conference is fine the way it is, at least for now. I'd rather see it dissolve than add 2 more mid-majors and water down the conference, and SEC schools aren't going to leave that kind of money to come here.

+1 I hate all this talk about adding half *** teams...that is what got the Big XII in trouble to begin with!

PalmBeachSooner
6/17/2010, 05:01 PM

According to Joe C. there is no TV deal, at least not with any network. So whatever the agreement is it's based on what they think will be the new TV deal. They won't bring in another school because that would dilute each schools share. I'm sure Arkansas is already making more in the SEC then they would in the Big 12-2.

So, yeah, it ain't happen'en.

badger
6/17/2010, 05:23 PM

True story: UofA has a billboard on I-44 here in Tulsa (facing westbound traffic) that reads "Sooner or Later, You'll be a Razorback."

:rolleyes:

pac10SUX
6/17/2010, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of the Pigs coming in. As far as BYU, its not real good geographically for them. What if the Big 12 were to sway the Pigs and LSU to join. It would definitely line up regionally to be more of an eastern conference.

sendbaht
6/17/2010, 06:06 PM
I like that the new conference has no conference championship game. Just one more hurdle that we don't need.

I agree even though (as long as we won) I enjoyed the CCG. It can and has sure messed us up.

10 teams a lots of money,.....mmmmm sounds ok to me.

SunnySooner
6/17/2010, 06:45 PM
I hate the pigs. I grew up on the Arky line, hearing all my life about the '78 Orange Bowl. Screw them, they seem to enjoy getting thumped repeatedly in the SEC, so let them stay there and wallow in defeat and mediocrity.

badger
6/17/2010, 06:50 PM
I like the idea of the Pigs coming in. As far as BYU, its not real good geographically for them. What if the Big 12 were to sway the Pigs and LSU to join. It would definitely line up regionally to be more of an eastern conference.

LSU has too much rival-ness built with SEC teams. Arky, however, is a n00b now and will need a lot more time to be more than just a sister of a brother-in-law in the SEC family or whatev

SoonerMom2
6/17/2010, 08:44 PM
Rumor has Jerry Jones wants his alma mater in the Big 12 so maybe he can foot the bill for AR.

Dan Thompson
6/17/2010, 08:58 PM
Ask the king what he thinks of Arky in the Big XII.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/17/2010, 08:58 PM
If the Big 12 stays at 10 teams they'll be raided again in a few years and we won't have the conference. They must go to 12-16 teams now even if it is with Arkansas, Houston, BYU, TCU type teams, be the leader or get left behind !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bluedogok
6/17/2010, 09:24 PM
IF the Hogs were to move to the Big 12/11/10 then I would say ignore other Texas schools, another north team is needed (Fayetteville is north of Stillwater). Go after Louisville because you aren't going to get another SEC school and L'ville is probably the most attractive out there to the east. It sure would make the yearly L'ville-Arkansas game (The Petrino Bowl) interesting for awhile.

swardboy
6/17/2010, 09:30 PM
Don't short-change the history of Arkansas football. '69 Texas/Arkansas was hailed as "game of the century" before our '71 tilt with nebbish. Frank Broyles has always been widely respected as a coach and AD, love him or not. A national championship, even if in mid-60's...first black player in the SWC (Jon Richardson). College of the King. Football crazy state. TWO major stadiums: Fayetteville and Little Rock. They'd bring a lot to the conference.

CORNholio
6/18/2010, 04:29 AM
I say drop to 8. Kick out ISU and Baylor. Lets trim the fat and start over.

Sooner in Tampa
6/18/2010, 07:05 AM
Rumor has Jerry Jones wants his alma mater in the Big 12 so maybe he can foot the bill for AR.
Yup...the rumor mill is starting

Dallas Cowboys (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Dallas_Cowboys) owner and former University of Arkansas football player Jerry Jones (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Jerry_Jones) has his own idea for Big 12 (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Big_12) expansion. According to a report in the Lawrence Journal-World and News, that plan involves Arkansas and Notre Dame joining up in the Big 12.

According to the report, which cites a source familiar to Jones' thinking, Jones "wants his alma mater to play in a league with former Southwest Conference rivals Texas and Texas A&M. A visionary, Jones sees the Big 12 expanding with Arkansas and Notre Dame. Such a conference alignment turns on TV sets across America and sends cash gushing out of Big 12 faucets everywhere."

OU_Sooners75
6/18/2010, 07:28 AM

True, but without that Championship game, OU would not have played Florida...of course without it, the Sooners would not have lost to Kansas State in 2003 either. :eek:

olevetonahill
6/18/2010, 07:40 AM
Yup...the rumor mill is starting

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I kinda like the Idear of ND coming on board .
That way we can Bitch slap em regular :D

Sooner in Tampa
6/18/2010, 08:01 AM
I kinda like the Idear of ND coming on board .
That way we can Bitch slap em regular :D
The Big 10 would be livid!!!! :D

I am all for it too!! :cool:

sooner518
6/18/2010, 08:04 AM
No way Notre Dame comes here. theyre too in love with their academic image to go anywhere other than the Big 10.

that article was dismissed by Jerruh. they were talking about it on DFW sports radio this morning.

BoulderSooner79
6/18/2010, 10:35 AM
True, but without that Championship game, OU would not have played Florida...of course without it, the Sooners would not have lost to Kansas State in 2003 either. :eek:

Not correct. The big BCS ballot was before the CCG and the winner between OU and UT in that poll was going to play the gators (unless Mizzou pulled off a major upset). Again, the CCG was a lose-only proposition. The only time the CCG "helped" us was at the end of the '04 season. Help I wish we didn't get, but none the less...

CrimsonCommando
6/18/2010, 11:06 AM
Hey, ya'll overlooked one thing. All my Arky buddies already have a built -in hate for Texas. That can't be a bad thing?

StoopTroup
6/18/2010, 11:31 AM
NSFW

bHBZOBfUl0E&feature=channel

Mixer!
6/18/2010, 01:40 PM
I thought Beebe said there wouldn't be any expansion anytime soon? :pop:

yermom
6/18/2010, 02:55 PM
TCU may not add ratings, but they are a good football school. they'd be in the top half of our league, i'm thinking

Arkansas would have probably made more sense than Baylor, looking back...

i still want 12 teams

badger
6/18/2010, 03:21 PM
Apparently the Pokes never had an SEC invite and weren't just tagging along with Texas, but us too.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/default.aspx)

In other news, water is wet ;)

swardboy
6/18/2010, 03:26 PM
Someone explain to me exactly how joining the Big 12 would hurt Notre Dame's scholastic standing...not being obnoxious, I just need some schoolin' here.

delhalew
6/18/2010, 03:37 PM
Can someone explain to me why the Hogs would leave the SEC.

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 04:16 PM
TCU may not add ratings, but they are a good football school. they'd be in the top half of our league, i'm thinking

Arkansas would have probably made more sense than Baylor, looking back...

i still want 12 teams

I don't think 12 teams is necessary. I like the round robin schedule format.

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 04:18 PM
If we attempt to stay at 10 teams this conference will disappear.

rawlingsHOH
6/18/2010, 04:19 PM
Can someone explain to me why the Hogs would leave the SEC.

They feel like they can be a bigger fish in the Big 12, and can recruit the state of TX better. Plus, a little nudge by Jerry Jones doesn't hurt!

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 04:20 PM

Probably, but there's not really two worthy schools that would contribute more than just results on the football field that would join.

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 04:21 PM
Probably, but there's not really two worthy schools that would contribute more than just results on the football field that would join.

I don't care how worthy they are if they keep the conference from disappearing and all the schools involved scattering to the four winds.

delhalew
6/18/2010, 04:27 PM

I agree, but I don't think the powers that be will dilute tv revenues by adding anyone who can't pull their weight.

The Big 12 is the only conference disfunctional enough to lose a major program.

So that leaves us ****ed.

silverwheels
6/18/2010, 04:28 PM
I don't care how worthy they are if they keep the conference from disappearing and all the schools involved scattering to the four winds.

Well if you add a couple of mid-majors that won't contribute to the wallet of the Big 12, it's going to fall apart anyway.

rawlingsHOH
6/18/2010, 04:44 PM
The Big 12 is the only conference disfunctional enough to lose a major program.

you mean when compared to the sec, big 10 and pac 10?

delhalew
6/18/2010, 08:12 PM
you mean when compared to the sec, big 10 and pac 10?

Yeah. We have problems bigger than deciding whether to add a couple second class teams. Nebraska has dealt the death blow to the tradition of the Big8. Missouri and the rest of the north are sick of Texas and the capitalistic ways of the BIG12. During this round of expansion feelings were hurt. We can hold this conference together with Texas...but not for long.

MeMyself&Me
6/18/2010, 09:05 PM

I agree.

Which is why it was so disappointing that the Pac 10 move didn't materialize. That was a way to hold the nucleus of the Big 12 South together.

If you add schools that make members bring in less money, you make the conference even more vulnerable to poaching so that actually makes it worse.

BeatUT
6/19/2010, 12:05 AM
I can't see this happening without UT throwing a tantrum. If they had it their way, they'd play a season against creampuff Baylor caliber teams and claim to be owed a spot in the Rose bowl.

King Barry's Back
6/20/2010, 02:09 AM

I always respect your opinions, Bill.

But I gotta say, this attitude that a conference championship is just a "hurdle" seems extremely negative, almost to the point of whining. (Not you, but from some others.)

What the CCG is, is an opportunity. An opportunity to beef up the strength of schedule, to add another victory against a quality opponent, and to play on national TV with little/no competition from other schools. It's a chance to stand alone on the national stage at a critical time, in a meaningful game, when the voters are paying attention.

During all the realignment hub-bub, somebody (I think it was DeLoss or Beebee, but not sure) said something along the lines that the Big XII CCG had cost four teams shots at the title.

I couldn't check his match, because i don't know which four he is talking about, but I don't believe he is correct.

Either way, though, that simplistic argument overlooks the teams that get an opportunity because of the CCG. When winning that CCG and having one more tick in the win column boosts a team in over another.

And please remember the one time we lost a CCG, we still went to the BCS Championship.

Flagstaffsooner
6/20/2010, 06:12 AM
Someone explain to me exactly how joining the Big 12 would hurt Notre Dame's scholastic standing...not being obnoxious, I just need some schoolin' here.

"WE NEED BUCKS AND ALTAR BOYS"
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2010/04/500x_500x_98242227.jpg

delhalew
6/20/2010, 08:20 AM

But I gotta say, this attitude that a conference championship is just a "hurdle" seems extremely negative, almost to the point of whining. (Not you, but from some others.)

What the CCG is, is an opportunity. An opportunity to beef up the strength of schedule, to add another victory against a quality opponent, and to play on national TV with little/no competition from other schools. It's a chance to stand alone on the national stage at a critical time, in a meaningful game, when the voters are paying attention.

During all the realignment hub-bub, somebody (I think it was DeLoss or Beebee, but not sure) said something along the lines that the Big XII CCG had cost four teams shots at the title.

I couldn't check his match, because i don't know which four he is talking about, but I don't believe he is correct.

Either way, though, that simplistic argument overlooks the teams that get an opportunity because of the CCG. When winning that CCG and having one more tick in the win column boosts a team in over another.

And please remember the one time we lost a CCG, we still went to the BCS Championship.

Well put and 100% true.

The Bones are Back
6/20/2010, 09:37 AM

And please remember the one time we lost a CCG, we still went to the BCS Championship.Nice post. Spot on that losing the Big XII Championship game will only hurt the Big XII. I think Arky addition would be a little troublesome in making the conference look to failed SWC-ish but how many fans except us oldtimers even care. Arky is a Mizzou/Buffy type program and could probably improve their stature playing the easy schedule that is the Big XII minus Tejas/OU/Aggies and they might suprise one of them here and there.

I dont think gaining an SEC team could hurt the Big XII in any way, the main problem is getting a new Nebraska, thats a big one. Notre Dame has the Brand but aint coming in a million years. Even if they did, they could probably beat K-State once and a while these days. Its really a shame you guys couldnt grab Boise State and take all this "new" money and "donate it" to KANSAS. Sounds nuts but Im serious, they have Turner Gill who would be rock solid and will recruit like no other ( Mothers love that guy) look what he did in NY. He could have KU up and running in a year or two with the work Mangy already did, atleast he has a foundation.

It wouldnt hurt for Mizzou to step up to the plate and be consistant either.Personally, I think OU should be in constant Christmas Card mode with the SEC, your seasons just got a lot shorter and a little more boring. Lincoln, Boulder, and Norman is more sizable than it would seem

SoonerMom2
6/20/2010, 10:11 AM
They feel like they can be a bigger fish in the Big 12, and can recruit the state of TX better. Plus, a little nudge by Jerry Jones doesn't hurt!

If Boone Pickens contribution to Texas convinced them that OSU needed to stay instead of KS in a move to the PAC 10, then think what a Jerry Jones contribution along with Boone could do for Arkansas! :)

rawlingsHOH
6/20/2010, 06:37 PM

has a win in the big 12 title game ever vaulted a team into the NC game?

Tigeman
6/20/2010, 11:31 PM
has a win in the big 12 title game ever vaulted a team into the NC game?

I would say 2004 the CCG helped us get in over Auburn.... but that's arguable. In addition, 2008's slaughtering of Booger and the rest of the kittens definitely helped give us the final push to get over TX in the final polls. Of course, that was another Big 12 team we were competing against.

rawlingsHOH
6/21/2010, 09:21 AM
I would say 2004 the CCG helped us get in over Auburn.... but that's arguable. In addition, 2008's slaughtering of Booger and the rest of the kittens definitely helped give us the final push to get over TX in the final polls. Of course, that was another Big 12 team we were competing against.

in both of those situations we were already the higher ranked team heading in. i think it is pretty obvious the game itself has hurt NC chances more than it has helped.

Jdog
6/21/2010, 11:41 PM
wow where have I heard all this before. think I was severely reprimanded for having these thought a couple of weeks ago.