PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dean - it's almost time for voyage!

badger
6/17/2010, 10:57 AM
Trailer here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=371&articleid=20100617_371_0_Aglimp292440)

I know some didn't like the last one, but anyone who's read the books knows that Disney didn't have much to work with on that one. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is one of the better books of the series... third-favorite of mine, behind Lion/Witch and Silver Chair.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/38/The_voyage_of_the_dawn_treader_poster.jpg
Yes... 3-D. Boo to everything in 3-D. It was fun as a little gimmick at Universal Studios Park and Disneyland... for a few minutes... but these full-length movies in 3-D give me a migraine to the third dimension.

SoonerStormchaser
6/17/2010, 11:36 AM
WTF is up with all the 3-D crap now...and why don't theaters such as the Warren have the option of seeing them on the REGULAR screen instead of ALL 3-D? I saw the new Shrek movie a few weeks ago and almost got a goddamn migraine!

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2010, 11:40 AM
You should throw a "whippersnappers" in there somewhere just to make it clear how fuddy-duddy you actually are.

SoonerAtKU
6/17/2010, 11:44 AM
Also, maybe someone who's read the books again more recently than I have could tell me what the Christian allegories were in that one? The rest of them were pretty clear, from what I can remember, but this one stuck out to me as being more of a straight-forward adventure tale.

badger
6/17/2010, 12:01 PM
Also, maybe someone who's read the books again more recently than I have could tell me what the Christian allegories were in that one? The rest of them were pretty clear, from what I can remember, but this one stuck out to me as being more of a straight-forward adventure tale.

If I had to guess, it would be the temptations of Christ, maybe a little bit of Jonah and Job mixed in, because the entire voyage is testing the characters' shortcomings to see if they will make the right decisions.

From the trailer, it appears they've gone to great lengths to include the favorite characters of the original book (the lion and the witch), because I don't remember Aslan appearing till Useless gets dragonated... and I don't remember the witch being in it at all.

StoopTroup
6/17/2010, 12:23 PM
If you get sick from watching a 3D movie shouldn't you just avoid them instead of jumping to the theory that it's some sort of Hollywood conspiracy?

I think it's a good marketing gimmick. That's what 3D has always been is a gimmick. Now that some TV manufacturers are trying to sell the 3D gimmick like they did Blu-Ray it's funny to watch the folks with way to much tech dough in their pocket go out and buy this really expensive **** so they can go Home at night and sit in a chair knowing that they are the coolest muther ****er on their block.

badger
6/17/2010, 12:29 PM
Also... Disney dropped out of this one. I think it's Fox/Walden as opposed to Disney/Walden. Reepicheap (sp?) is no longer Eddie Izzard.However, I couldn't tell from the trailer, so perhaps that's not the end of the world.

It sounds like they got the main cast to stay despite no more Disney. Also, I think we can expect them to dial back the edge and try to appeal to families more than teenage boys like the first one, as opposed to the second one. The special effects are probably gonna get toned down too, so more giant water dudes springing up to save the battle, haha.

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 12:43 PM
WHAT. No Eddie for Reepacheep? Bull****.

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 12:58 PM
WTF is up with all the 3-D crap now...and why don't theaters such as the Warren have the option of seeing them on the REGULAR screen instead of ALL 3-D? I saw the new Shrek movie a few weeks ago and almost got a goddamn migraine!

They don't? Usually when I check the listings there are at least four or five showtimes in 2-D.

badger
6/17/2010, 01:01 PM
WHAT. No Eddie for Reepacheep? Bull****.

It's now Bill Nighy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nighy), not to be confused with Bill Nye (http://billnye.ytmnd.com/)

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 01:09 PM
It's now Bill Nighy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nighy), not to be confused with Bill Nye (http://billnye.ytmnd.com/)

AKA Rufus Scrimgeour, Auror, Minister of Magic. Nighy, not Nye.

I've never read or seen any of the Narnia stuff.

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 01:21 PM
AKA Rufus Scrimgeour, Auror, Minister of Magic. Nighy, not Nye.

I've never read or seen any of the Narnia stuff.

Also AKA Bootstrap Bill Turner in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (Second movie, I think.

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 01:27 PM
And Slartiblartfast in the Hitchhiker's Guide movie. I don't hate this anymore, though I will miss Eddie.

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 01:30 PM
Also AKA Bootstrap Bill Turner in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. (Second movie, I think.

Nay. He played Davey Jones.

badger
6/17/2010, 03:16 PM
The reason I though special effects took over the second movie, Prince Caspian, because the book really doesn't have a lot of substance to it. Basically, the kids come back, learn that the animals don't talk much anymore, an evil king and his minions dislike talking animals and it's time for another big battle, the end... and here's a cute fighting mouse!

I had no idea that Disney was trying to get the tween audience. Ugh. Glad that crap backfired. Will be interesting to see what Fox/Walden does with it.

badger
12/13/2010, 01:13 PM
NP and I went to go see Voyage yesterday. If you're a fan of the books, it's a tearjerker at the end.

I heard that it didn't take half the box office return the others did in their opening weekends, like $25 million compared with $55 million or $65 million.

It really is too bad, but I think that this franchise is probably done. The first Narnia story is the famous one that everyone loves, the rest are just what you read hoping to get more of that first story... which CS Lewis unfortunately didn't capitalize on till The Silver Chair (when he cloned the White Witch and had the main villain be the Green Lady)

SoonerAtKU
12/13/2010, 04:15 PM
It'd be worth it just to see them do The Magician's Nephew. Now THAT is a hell of a story, and tailor-made for the big screen.

badger
12/13/2010, 04:24 PM
It'd be worth it just to see them do The Magician's Nephew. Now THAT is a hell of a story, and tailor-made for the big screen.

Oh yeah - AND they get to have the White Witch back, which is what these movies are desperately trying to do through re-writing the stories a little :rolleyes:

Either the Silver Chair or the Magicians Nephew would be good. The Last Battle would probably need a severe re-write to avoid upsetting extremists (and probably non-extremists too), the Horse and his Boy was my least-favorite of them all... but the story of Prince Caspian was really, really flat and Disney tried it's best to make a story out of it. Half-fail.

SoonerAtKU
12/13/2010, 04:51 PM
I wonder how they'd do the fakeout/slow reveal of Nephew in that it's an origin story? Would you cast someone else as WW/Jadis and have it come about later?