PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Cop Punches Resisting Woman

Soonerwake
6/17/2010, 10:12 AM
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/06/seattle_police_officer_caught.php

This could have gotten really bad, really quick.

Okla-homey
6/17/2010, 10:18 AM
The punchee was attempting to obstruct the arrest of the other woman and had laid hands on the arresting officer. The cop punched her in the face, once, rather than a flurry of punches and he didn't call her any names. He didn't shoot her, taze her or mace her.

The only reason this is a story is because the punchee is black and the cop is white.

Life lesson: When ordered by a police officer to back-off, do so.

Soonerwake
6/17/2010, 10:26 AM
The punchee was attempting to obstruct the arrest of the other woman and had laid hands on the arresting officer. The cop punched her in the face, once, rather than a flurry of punches and he didn't call her any names. He didn't shoot her, taze her or mace her.

The only reason this is a story is because the punchee is black and the cop is white.

Agreed. The officer was justified to step up to the next level on the use of force continuum, which would have been pepper spray/tazer. He chose to continue to attempt to control the combatant with holds, strikes only. I'm just glad his choice didn't get him hurt. That crowd was growing by the second and his backup was nowhere to be seen.

Chris Rock has an educational video that could have helped here. (NSFW)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 10:30 AM
Jaywalking?

Don't get me wrong, the chick deserved to get punched. Don't interrupt a police officer making an arrest. But... jaywalking?

Okla-homey
6/17/2010, 11:11 AM
Jaywalking?

Don't get me wrong, the chick deserved to get punched. Don't interrupt a police officer making an arrest. But... jaywalking?

I think she as attempting to interfere with the arrest of a man who was observed jaywalking

Viking Kitten
6/17/2010, 11:37 AM
That's the way I read the story, however I have the same question. Does the Seattle PD routinely arrest people for jaywalking? That seems a bit excessive. Did the arrestee have an outstanding warrant? Did he or she resist? Something doesn't add up there.

However, none of that changes that the officer was perfectly justified in punching the woman in the face.

Okla-homey
6/17/2010, 11:42 AM
However, none of that changes that the officer was perfectly justified in punching the woman in the face.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 11:51 AM
I don't even know what jaywalking is, really. Is that where Kansas walks out on Big 12 conference realignment talks because they know they're getting left behind?

Czar Soonerov
6/17/2010, 11:53 AM
This happened down the street from a high school. The city installed a sky-bridge for the kids to cross the busy street (you can see it in the video). Kids are lazy and don't want to climb the stairs and use the sky-bridge so they jaywalk. I guess it's routine for cars to have to come to a screeching halt for these punks. So cops are arresting them.

StoopTroup
6/17/2010, 12:03 PM
I guess a crossing guard and a stoplight was to inconvenient

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/45000/Crossing-Guard--45220.jpg

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 12:16 PM
This happened down the street from a high school. The city installed a sky-bridge for the kids to cross the busy street (you can see it in the video). Kids are lazy and don't want to climb the stairs and use the sky-bridge so they jaywalk. I guess it's routine for cars to have to come to a screeching halt for these punks. So cops are arresting them.

Well, there you go. A fist hurts a lot less than a car.

sooner59
6/17/2010, 12:19 PM
I don't see anything too crazy here. He better feel lucky he was in Seattle and not South Oak Cliff, though. His *** would be dead right now. That said...queue Al Sharpton regardless in 3...2...1...

:pop:

KC//CRIMSON
6/17/2010, 12:22 PM
What a clown, he couldn't even knock her out.

StoopTroup
6/17/2010, 12:26 PM
He did bruise her whole face.

Pricetag
6/17/2010, 12:30 PM
I don't see anything too crazy here. He better feel lucky he was in Seattle and not South Oak Cliff, though. His *** would be dead right now. That said...queue Al Sharpton regardless in 3...2...1...

:pop:
He was on "The Today Show" on NBC this morning about this. Matt Lauer asked him if he thought it was racially motivated. He said that they didn't have enough information yet, but I fully expected him to say, "We can only hope." They had a former police officer on with him who did point out that he used no racial epithets of any kind.

Pricetag
6/17/2010, 12:31 PM
What a clown, he couldn't even knock her out.
Was he really trying? All it takes is a pop on the nose to stun someone pretty good. Like Terry Silva said, "A man can't see, he can't fight."

Jello Biafra
6/17/2010, 12:35 PM
nothing to see here. an oppressed female felt like she was going to bow up and she got smacked....bish better have my money next time i see her or she goan wish she was "in custody"

reevie
6/17/2010, 12:46 PM
Reminds me of the Chris Rock video. NSFW - Language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

sooner59
6/17/2010, 12:47 PM
He was on "The Today Show" on NBC this morning about this. Matt Lauer asked him if he thought it was racially motivated. He said that they didn't have enough information yet, but I fully expected him to say, "We can only hope." They had a former police officer on with him who did point out that he used no racial epithets of any kind.

That's probably what Sharpton was actually thinking, but at least he didn't jump all over it at the drop of a dime like I expected he would.

Ike
6/17/2010, 12:48 PM
This article came up on the banner bar for the original...

:eek:

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/06/8-year-olds_hospitalized_after.php

Leroy Lizard
6/17/2010, 03:57 PM

Ergo, he's screwed.

Let's wait to see how much money she pockets from this before laying down any life lessons, shall we? The moral of the story could change quickly.

Breadburner
6/17/2010, 04:11 PM
Thats what you get when you **** with the popo....There was no telling how that could have escalated....

sooner59
6/17/2010, 04:29 PM
The comments under the PCP story are awesome. Everybody turns on one guy who is defending the mother who knew what PCP smelled like. Its a win.

My Opinion Matters
6/17/2010, 04:30 PM
Oh come on, her black face was practically begging for a punching.

Leroy Lizard
6/17/2010, 04:36 PM
I couldn't be a cop. I just couldn't resist the urge to plant a night stick right between her eyes. Whatever he makes is not enough.

VeeJay
6/17/2010, 05:00 PM
When this gets to the White House, we will all be lectured on how stupidly the police acted.

Leroy Lizard
6/17/2010, 05:18 PM
Well, let me check... he's white and she's black. Yep, he acted stupidly. We need the President to kick some *** here.

soonerboomer93
6/17/2010, 05:25 PM
All I can say after reading both those articles is

I'm so glad that the internet is killing newpapers and we get to enjoy these half assed "news articles" posted by "professional" bloggers.

Atleast they had links the the actual news articles with more information.

fadada1
6/17/2010, 06:37 PM

matt lauer is the biggest dooshbag on tv... or any other medium, for that matter. i'd punch him in the face just for asking that question. asshat.

soonerinkaty
6/17/2010, 06:51 PM
She shoulda stayed in the kitchen.

"It's not the killing babies I'm against, its letting women have the choice that doesn't sit well with me."

/kidding

Sooner in Tampa
6/18/2010, 05:34 AM
If'in you don't want to get punched in the face...don't push a cop

Pretty simple

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/18/2010, 06:25 AM
I am getting tired of hearing "SHE'S A GIRL" So if a girl gets out of her car and pulls a gun and starts shooting, the police are supposed to let that one go. If that girl had somehow got his gun and shot someone standing there filming it, there would be outrage that he didn't control the situation. Cops have a lot of no win situations.

olevetonahill
6/18/2010, 06:59 AM
Some times ya just got to Smack a bitch.;)
http://static.zooomr.com/images/2467703_dd5f1d44bb.jpg

Okla-homey
6/18/2010, 08:28 AM
I am getting tired of hearing "SHE'S A GIRL" So if a girl gets out of her car and pulls a gun and starts shooting, the police are supposed to let that one go. If that girl had somehow got his gun and shot someone standing there filming it, there would be outrage that he didn't control the situation. Cops have a lot of no win situations.

She clearly has a "Y" chromosome, but she's no lady.

rainiersooner
6/18/2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, Seattle police routinely write tickets for jaywalking. I think they see it as a revenue source. During the WTO riots, I was walking around downtown, and was astonished to watch a bunch of "anarchists" dressed in black with signs wait for the light to turn to cross the street and harass some WTO delegates.

Funnily enough, even the uber-libs here in Seattle don't seem to have much sympathy for this girl. General consensus is that pushing a cop will tend to get you punched.

OhU1
6/18/2010, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised most comments here and elsewhere support the cop. Most gut level reactions I'm used to hearing when force has been used is "that was excessive" "police brutality", ect.

An official from the City of Seattle said something that smacks of simple common sense: witnessing the use of force is seldom pretty.

I think seeing in person someone get hit or throw down as they scream and yell can be pretty jarring to most people. If you resist arrest or lay hands on a police officer it is going to get ugly fast.

Police have a tough job. Something to ponder is what would you do if you were in this cop's shoes and 2 people off the street suddenly intervened on your stop?

VeeJay
6/18/2010, 11:42 AM
Cop had two crazed out of their mind broads jumping him. He did what he had to do to get the situation under control. That's what his freeking job is.

Lady that tried to intervene got off easy.

I'd love to hear her shouting "Don't tase me bro!"

soonerboy_odanorth
6/18/2010, 12:15 PM
All I could think in watching that was, "hit her again, hit her again, harder, harder!"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/18/2010, 12:27 PM
i'm actually curious about the aftermath of this, specifically to those videotaping it. seattle police have been going after the videotapers for violating the state's wiretapping laws in pretty much any video of police abuse.

they are also about to pay out the wazzou (pun intended) for deleting internal microphone and camera recordings of a police officer who beat the crap out of the wrong suspect.

starclassic tama
6/18/2010, 12:36 PM
step up to the plate get knocked out the park

Penguin
6/18/2010, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one that thought the cop was a butch chick?

I was thinking girl-on-girl action, then they said it was a dude. Click.

NormanPride
6/18/2010, 12:53 PM
Even if it was a girl, would you want to see it if she looked like a dude?

Ike
6/18/2010, 12:55 PM
i'm actually curious about the aftermath of this, specifically to those videotaping it. seattle police have been going after the videotapers for violating the state's wiretapping laws in pretty much any video of police abuse.

they are also about to pay out the wazzou (pun intended) for deleting internal microphone and camera recordings of a police officer who beat the crap out of the wrong suspect.

I was wondering about that too.

47straight
6/18/2010, 02:15 PM

I thought about posting about the stories you mention, mostly b/c it seems like the absolute biggest load of b.s. to ban videotaping in public, especially under "wiretapping."

The reality is that most cops do their jobs most of the time, and someone documenting a cop doing his job correctly should be nothing to fear. This case is a perfect example - those videotaping the cop are yelling that he's being excessive (you can hear them), the tape proves he wasn't. Without the tape, you'd have a bunch of he-said she-said, and you can see how unreliable 1/2 of that was just from the looker-on's play-by-play commentary.

And when a cop doesn't do their job right, like beating a suspect, the tapes help prove that as well and the guy gets paid.

Anyways, I see this case only reinforcing why people taping cops in public should be allowed, and why any police chief or prosecutor in their right mind would want the same. Helps you defend those cops that need to be defended and weeds out the bad ones.