PDA

View Full Version : Poor little UNT

alltheway
6/16/2010, 10:30 PM
I am an alum of OU and have followed OU football since the days of Tommy McDonald and friends. As football rich our heritage in this part of the country is, I look at UNT in Denton, Tx and just shake my head. Many people don't realize UNT is the 3rd largest university in Texas and yet that school couldn't care less about football. You would think with a student population of over 30,000 and alums everywhere, there would be someone, sometime on that campus that cares if they win or lose. When they joined 1A football several years ago, they increased their stadium to hold over 30000. And as far as I know to this day they never filled it up. Believe it or not they are now building a NEW stadium, I'm sure which will hold more. All the Denton people are asking is, "Why?"

I'm just wondering if anyone on this board knows any info about why that program has been such a non-entity football wise as it has been?

Anyone who gets disgusted with whatever happens to OU football fortunes from time to time only needs to look 30 miles south of the Red River to really appreciate what we have with OU football.

Eielson
6/16/2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I heard how big UNT was last year. I was shocked.

HBick
6/16/2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I heard how big UNT was last year. I was shocked.

Well at UNT they party like it's 1999

PDXsooner
6/16/2010, 10:38 PM
There are a lot of schools across that country that are that big but have weak athletic programs...Portland State University is 30,000 and in the same boat. There are several in California. I'm guessing UNT is a commuter school as well.

Stitch Face
6/16/2010, 10:39 PM
I heard they partied like rock stars. At the hotel-motel-Holiday Inn.

Sco
6/16/2010, 11:13 PM
UNT was actually a good team a few years back and I remember rumors of them replacing Baylor. Then they started sucking again.

But it's not like they have bad athletes. They had an RB whose name escapes me right now that actually had comparable if not more yards than AD in 2004. Their QB a few years ago threw for over 600 yards one game (which they still somehow lost). Their weak conference and decent (offensive) recruiting gives them a chance, but their coaching and defense are just horrible.

OUthunder
6/16/2010, 11:17 PM
UNT=Blue Mountain State

colinreturn
6/16/2010, 11:18 PM
they are building a state of the art new stadium and football facilities. im sure that will help.

OKLA21FAN
6/16/2010, 11:35 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone on this board knows any info about why that program has been such a non-entity football wise as it has been?

\

this
http://football.ugo.com/images/movies/necessary-roughness.jpg

starclassic tama
6/17/2010, 12:11 AM
it's a great music school. do the math

prrriiide
6/17/2010, 12:48 AM
it's a great music school. do the math

One of the best in the country, and probably the best jazz school in the world.

sooner59
6/17/2010, 01:08 AM
UNT=Blue Mountain State

Except on that show, they are good at football.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/17/2010, 01:47 AM
Remember Mean Joe Green from several Super bowl winners from the Pittsburg Steelers of the mid '70's. He was the superstar from North Texas State. Later, that became Univ. of North Texas. Always has been a Dallas area commuter school, as is UTA, in Arlington.

yankee
6/17/2010, 02:31 AM
since i'm a graduate of Southlake Carroll High School...maybe i can fill some of you in...with what i know...todd dodge (carroll high coach for about a decade) was hired there after putting an unprecedented run together at Southlake (back-to-back-to-back state/"national" championships) (04-06)...with all 3 seasons being undefeated...throw in another state championship in '02 and a 1 point loss in the '03 state championship...and you can see just how well he did. keep in mind that was all at the 5A (biggest texas classification) level. unfortunately in dodge's naivety, he brought along several very good high school coaches to be his assistants at the next level, and quite frankly, that was a big mistake. i think every one of them has quit or been fired as they were just unprepared for the next level. dodge also kicked many, many players off the team for failing drug tests and for other various reasons. basically, he cleaned house on a program that had a lot of bad characters in the locker room. has that turned into success on the football field? nope...but the team REALLY is that close to turning the corner. you look at this past season, and 6 of their losses were by a touchdown or less. the problem at UNT has been the atrocious defense (and choking at the end of games)...the offense has been great under his tenure, but up until last season, it was the worst in the NCAA. dodge has been told that he needs a winning record this season to keep his job...steele has UNT as one of the top comeback teams in 2010, so i'm really hoping that turns out to be true. as for the stadium...the current stadium (fouts field) is an absolute POS, so when you combine that with a mostly commuter-based school, it doesn't work out for great attendance. the new stadium will hopefully attract better recruits and bring out more fans to the games.

ndpruitt03
6/17/2010, 03:01 AM
Why did they get rid of Darrell Dickey? I know they had a couple down years with him. But they've won 5 games in 5 years with Todd Dodge.

HBick
6/17/2010, 03:07 AM
UNT=Blue Mountain State

Except on that show, they are good at football.

and the fact that this show is hilarious. don't get me wrong, it's crude, dumb, and a complete sellout, but anyone who saw the pocket p***y episode will know that it was one of the funniest tv episodes in recent memory. so was the the one where they did all the drugs because they were losing.

i don't know if it's coming back, the hot shot RB who was a freshman got arrested in Hollywood in Feb or March for oxycoton distribution, but it was hilarious.

Crucifax Autumn
6/17/2010, 03:29 AM
I thought the thread title was missing a "C"!

King Barry's Back
6/17/2010, 04:35 AM
If they build a new stadium, market/advertise/outreach like crazy in the North Dallas suburbs, keep ticket prices down, don't develop any grand schemes of drawing fans away from UT/aTm/TCU -- they should boost attendance.

Get a winning program (including dumping that useless POS Todd Dodge), and they could have a nice Sun Belt program.

Lot's of ifs.

Frozen Sooner
6/17/2010, 05:37 AM
There are a lot of schools across that country that are that big but have weak athletic programs...Portland State University is 30,000 and in the same boat. There are several in California. I'm guessing UNT is a commuter school as well.

Doesn't Jerry Glanville coach PSU Football or something?

PLaw
6/17/2010, 05:46 AM
since i'm a graduate of Southlake Carroll High School...maybe i can fill some of you in...with what i know...todd dodge (carroll high coach for about a decade) was hired there after putting an unprecedented run together at Southlake (back-to-back-to-back state/"national" championships) (04-06)...with all 3 seasons being undefeated...throw in another state championship in '02 and a 1 point loss in the '03 state championship...and you can see just how well he did. keep in mind that was all at the 5A (biggest texas classification) level. unfortunately in dodge's naivety, he brought along several very good high school coaches to be his assistants at the next level, and quite frankly, that was a big mistake. i think every one of them has quit or been fired as they were just unprepared for the next level. dodge also kicked many, many players off the team for failing drug tests and for other various reasons. basically, he cleaned house on a program that had a lot of bad characters in the locker room. has that turned into success on the football field? nope...but the team REALLY is that close to turning the corner. you look at this past season, and 6 of their losses were by a touchdown or less. the problem at UNT has been the atrocious defense (and choking at the end of games)...the offense has been great under his tenure, but up until last season, it was the worst in the NCAA. dodge has been told that he needs a winning record this season to keep his job...steele has UNT as one of the top comeback teams in 2010, so i'm really hoping that turns out to be true. as for the stadium...the current stadium (fouts field) is an absolute POS, so when you combine that with a mostly commuter-based school, it doesn't work out for great attendance. the new stadium will hopefully attract better recruits and bring out more fans to the games.

How do you think Riley following his Dad to UNT impacted the program progression? Riley was highly recruited and committed to UT until Todd accepted the position.

I thought Todd would have turned the corner by now, but there was a lot of house cleaning to do.

I was always impressed with the way he ran the SLC program. The pre-game warm up looked more organized and efficient than a lot of major college programs. Todd invested heavily in the feeder system which also helped. That, coupled with the school structure SLC HS (fr and soph) and SLC Sr. HS (Jr + Sr) also help create the football factory.

Not a big fan of "Southlaker's", but they were getting their monies worth with TD. Hal just hasn't measured up.

BOOMER

OUthunder
6/17/2010, 05:55 AM
and the fact that this show is hilarious. don't get me wrong, it's crude, dumb, and a complete sellout, but anyone who saw the pocket p***y episode will know that it was one of the funniest tv episodes in recent memory. so was the the one where they did all the drugs because they were losing.

i don't know if it's coming back, the hot shot RB who was a freshman got arrested in Hollywood in Feb or March for oxycoton distribution, but it was hilarious.

It has been picked up for a 2nd season. Over 1 million viewers weekly at seasons end.

It is my guilty TV pleasure. Some people watch American Idol, Dancing With The Stars, or Kate Plus 8. For me it's Blue Mountain State. The ***** pocket episode was hilarious. How bout the episode where they hooked the hose up to their dicks to cleanse themselves of all illegal drugs for testing purposes, lol.

Jacie
6/17/2010, 06:18 AM
I know a way to get their stadium full a couple of times every other year or so . . . invite them to join the Big XII.

OUthunder
6/17/2010, 06:21 AM
I know a way to get their stadium full a couple of times every other year or so . . . invite them to join the Big XII.

Yep, that's an easy enough drive. Plus every conference needs an Arkansas, Little Rock. :D

texaspokieokie
6/17/2010, 07:59 AM
note that riley dodge,the great tejas recruit, has changed to wide receiver.

at least partially due to injuries.

todd should go back to southlake,the school of "national champions" !!!!!

badger
6/17/2010, 08:18 AM
Stone Cold Steve Austin played there :D

Oh and they have a great school song - the words NP and I made up are "We got a ______, ha ha, ha HA! We got a ______, ha ha, ha HA!"

Fill in the blanks with "first down," "tackle," or even "touchdown." We sat next to the UNT band one game against them, Coach Dodge's first college game, and wow it was one-sided... but that band kept playing that fun song.

To hear it click here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcck3eepPV0) That youtube video also displays the real words... but the fake words are more fun.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2010, 08:25 AM
Pat Boone went there.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/17/2010, 08:38 AM
Well at UNT they party like it's 1999

More like 1969...;)

rawlingsHOH
6/17/2010, 09:15 AM
Many people are also surprised to find out that Central Florida is the 3rd largest school (undergrad enrollment) in the nation, close to 55K.

deweydw
6/17/2010, 11:09 AM
My son graduated from UNT in December. I went up there for the 4th last year. When we got in the stadium, I was surprised see the Sunbelt Champion banners in the end zone for 01, 02, 03, and 04. They're not ready for the Big whatever yet. But they do put on a great fireworks display.

PLaw
6/17/2010, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=badger;2897373]Stone Cold Steve Austin played there :D

Oh yeah, and so did Mean Joe Green.

BOOMER

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/17/2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=badger;2897373]Stone Cold Steve Austin played there :D

Oh yeah, and so did Mean Joe Green.

BOOMERThose who don't remember, see post #13.

deweydw
6/17/2010, 11:21 AM
Here's the full list of famous and not so famous alumni of UNT. A few other known names..

Don Henley, Roy Orbison, Thomas Haden Church, Joe Don Baker...

http://www.unt.edu/famous-alums.htm

Mjcpr
6/17/2010, 11:23 AM
Here's the full list of famous and not so famous alumni of UNT. A few other known names..

Don Henley, Roy Orbison, Thomas Haden Church, Joe Don Baker...

http://www.unt.edu/famous-alums.htm

And Mongo.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2010, 11:32 AM
don't forget abner haynes, running back with pro career.

Geronimo12
6/17/2010, 01:13 PM
That RB was Patrick Cobbs from Tecumseh, Oklahoma. He now plays for the Miami Dolphins....Hell of an athlete

PDXsooner
6/17/2010, 01:34 PM
Doesn't Jerry Glanville coach PSU Football or something?

He got fired this past season...

C&CDean
6/17/2010, 01:38 PM

I'd really like to read this, but without paragraphs and proper punctuation I can't bring myself to do it.

Somebody paraphrase please.

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 01:45 PM
What I'll never forget was the last time the Sooners played UNT, Dodge's first game with them, I think. The Sooners were running back to the bench saying, "man, they aren't even disguising their defenses." Sammy lit 'em up for about 400 yards through the air. Dodge didn't seem to understand that what worked in high school wouldn't cut it against the big boys.

yankee
6/17/2010, 01:46 PM
Why did they get rid of Darrell Dickey? I know they had a couple down years with him. But they've won 5 games in 5 years with Todd Dodge.

correction. 5 wins in 3 years! :D

and they got rid of dickey because...well i don't remember, but his offense sucked and they had like 2 wins in his last season there. so maybe those are the reasons.

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 01:50 PM
No tradition to speak of.

Fouts Field is not even a good high school stadium.

Very much a commuter school.

All things mentioned already, and all valid points.

yankee
6/17/2010, 01:53 PM
How do you think Riley following his Dad to UNT impacted the program progression? Riley was highly recruited and committed to UT until Todd accepted the position.

I thought Todd would have turned the corner by now, but there was a lot of house cleaning to do.

I was always impressed with the way he ran the SLC program. The pre-game warm up looked more organized and efficient than a lot of major college programs. Todd invested heavily in the feeder system which also helped. That, coupled with the school structure SLC HS (fr and soph) and SLC Sr. HS (Jr + Sr) also help create the football factory.

Not a big fan of "Southlaker's", but they were getting their monies worth with TD. Hal just hasn't measured up.

BOOMER

riley was clearly the best choice for the QB position last season...he was injured in the middle of two games last season, and both times he left UNT had a solid lead and they ended up blowing it at the end. he injured his shoulder his senior year of HS in the PO's, and it was never the same again. i'm hoping he can stay healthy at WR...he's a tough kid.

as for us "southlakers". well, it looks like you live in Trophy Club, so you guys can't be that much worse than us. :P

Hal really hasn't measured up...but who can measure up well to 4 state championships in 7 years? his W/L record in his 3 years here would have other HS programs proclaiming his greatness, but at Carroll it's a little different as you might know. his record is *roughly* 35-6 here.

swardboy
6/17/2010, 01:56 PM
Here you go Dean:

Originally Posted by yankee http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2897339#post2897339)
Since I'm a graduate of Southlake Carroll High School...maybe I can fill some of you in with what i know: Todd Dodge (Carroll High coach for about a decade) was hired there after putting an unprecedented run together at Southlake (back-to-back-to-back state/"national" championships) (04-06). Throw in another state championship in '02 and a 1 point loss in the '03 state championship and you can see just how well he did.

Keep in mind that was all at the 5A (biggest texas classification) level.

Unfortunately in Dodge's naivety, he brought along several very good high school coaches to be his assistants at the next level, and quite frankly, that was a big mistake. I think every one of them has quit, or been fired, as they were just unprepared for the next level.

Dodge also kicked many, many players off the team for failing drug tests and for other various reasons basically, cleaning house on a program that had a lot of bad characters in the locker room.

Has that turned into success on the football field? Nope. But the team really is THAT close to turning the corner. you look at this past season, and 6 of their losses were by a touchdown or less.

The problem at UNT has been the atrocious defense and choking at the end of games. The offense has been great under his tenure, but up until last season it was the worst in the NCAA. Dodge has been told that he needs a winning record this season to keep his job. Steele has UNT as one of the top comeback teams in 2010, so I'm really hoping that turns out to be true.

As for the stadium...the current stadium (Fouts Field) is an absolute POS. So when you combine that with a mostly commuter-based school, it doesn't work out for great attendance. The new stadium will hopefully attract better recruits and bring out more fans to the games.

yankee
6/17/2010, 01:56 PM
I'd really like to read this

n0! you, do'nt.

Curly Bill
6/17/2010, 01:58 PM
Here you go Dean:

Originally Posted by yankee http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2897339#post2897339)
Since I'm a graduate of Southlake Carroll High School...maybe I can fill some of you in with what i know: Todd Dodge (Carroll High coach for about a decade) was hired there after putting an unprecedented run together at Southlake (back-to-back-to-back state/"national" championships) (04-06). Throw in another state championship in '02 and a 1 point loss in the '03 state championship and you can see just how well he did.

Keep in mind that was all at the 5A (biggest texas classification) level.

Unfortunately in Dodge's naivety, he brought along several very good high school coaches to be his assistants at the next level, and quite frankly, that was a big mistake. I think every one of them has quit, or been fired, as they were just unprepared for the next level. Dodge also kicked many, many players off the team for failing drug tests and for other various reasons basically, cleaning house on a program that had a lot of bad characters in the locker room.

Has that turned into success on the football field? Nope. But the team really is THAT close to turning the corner. you look at this past season, and 6 of their losses were by a touchdown or less.

The problem at UNT has been the atrocious defense and choking at the end of games. The offense has been great under his tenure, but up until last season it was the worst in the NCAA. Dodge has been told that he needs a winning record this season to keep his job. Steele has UNT as one of the top comeback teams in 2010, so I'm really hoping that turns out to be true.
As for the stadium...the current stadium (Fouts Field) is an absolute POS. So when you combine that with a mostly commuter-based school, it doesn't work out for great attendance. The new stadium will hopefully attract better recruits and bring out more fans to the games.

Brown noser!!! :D

ndpruitt03
6/17/2010, 02:41 PM
correction. 5 wins in 3 years! :D

and they got rid of dickey because...well i don't remember, but his offense sucked and they had like 2 wins in his last season there. so maybe those are the reasons.

Didn't he win like 2 or 3 Sun Belts in a row?

badger
6/17/2010, 03:17 PM
btw, Houston wants in now via Houston legislators.

link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=234&articleid=20100617_231_0_HOUSTO697673)

i dislike all the new speculation threads, so i'll let someone else start it.

Stitch Face
6/17/2010, 03:26 PM
5 wins in 3 years? It's hard to imagine a coach that successful coming from anywhere being that unsuccessful anywhere.

soonerinkaty
6/17/2010, 05:48 PM
riley was clearly the best choice for the QB position last season...he was injured in the middle of two games last season, and both times he left UNT had a solid lead and they ended up blowing it at the end. he injured his shoulder his senior year of HS in the PO's, and it was never the same again. i'm hoping he can stay healthy at WR...he's a tough kid.

as for us "southlakers". well, it looks like you live in Trophy Club, so you guys can't be that much worse than us. :P

Hal really hasn't measured up...but who can measure up well to 4 state championships in 7 years? his W/L record in his 3 years here would have other HS programs proclaiming his greatness, but at Carroll it's a little different as you might know. his record is *roughly* 35-6 here.

Katy High School can.

yankee
6/17/2010, 05:50 PM
Katy High School can.

"who", not "what".

soonerinkaty
6/17/2010, 05:53 PM
Eh, same difference. Coach Joseph is a pimp.

PLaw
6/17/2010, 09:34 PM

Wouldn't it be the ****s if someday way down the road when Bob retires, if OU hires Dodge and he goes on to win a couple more championships for the Crimson and Cream? Now wouldn't that be a twist on the traitor from Hominy??

Boomer

bluedogok
6/17/2010, 09:42 PM
I think Todd Dodge didn't realize how many other high school coaches in the state of Texas he pissed off over the years while he was at Southlake. He doesn't seem to have too many fellow coaching friends helping him recruit players to UNT. I know a few who have a fairly low opinion of him, like he is below the pond scum in a sewage treatment plant and they didn't even have teams who played against SLC.

the_ouskull
6/18/2010, 12:16 AM
Denton has a nicer stadium for their high school team than for their college one. Genius.

the_ouskull

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 01:26 AM
Denton has a nicer stadium for their high school teams than for their college one.

the_ouskull

This is God's honest truth.

Tear Down This Wall
6/18/2010, 12:34 PM
riley was clearly the best choice for the QB position last season...

Clearly?

If Riley was "clearly" the best UNT had to offer, than his dad clearly isn't making much of an effort to recruit quarterbacks.

TXBOOMER
6/18/2010, 05:59 PM
Got my Masters at UNT. Could care less about their football team, I've actually went to a game (once). Boomer!

Jacie
6/18/2010, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't it be the ****s if someday way down the road when Bob retires, if OU hires Dodge and he goes on to win a couple more championships for the Crimson and Cream? Now wouldn't that be a twist on the traitor from Hominy??

Boomer

If bluedog is right, and given the run Todd put on at SLC I can believe it, he will have to do it w/o many players from the state of Texas . . .

yankee
6/18/2010, 07:12 PM
Clearly?

If Riley was "clearly" the best UNT had to offer, than his dad clearly isn't making much of an effort to recruit quarterbacks.

when you get the scraps leftover from UT, OU, A&M, Tech, LSU, Arkansas, Baylor, TCU, SMU, and Houston...there probably isn't a whole lot out there. just sayin'...