PDA

View Full Version : Update: Hottest of OU womens bball (round 2)

badger
6/16/2010, 10:05 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to round two:
http://i48.tinypic.com/11j1bih.jpg

By virtue of round 1 and the play-in round, which both ended earlier this week, you have selected these four to compete for the final two spots in the final four of the inaugural soonerfans.com Hottest of OU Womens basketball poll.

Who will join Krista Sanchez and Stacey Dales? Read on to help decide!

Erin Higgins
http://i46.tinypic.com/x3s2lg.jpg
Erin was demanded by many to be placed in this poll after a slight (but immediately corrected!) omission. The top seed after our little play-in round, Erin was the anchor of the transition years between our first Final Four appearance in 2002, and our most recent Final Four appearances in 2009 and this past season. Looking at Erin, you'd think she was a post player, but she really, really could hit an outside shot to fire up the crowd. A true leader that inspired her teammates and crowds alike. Her final seasons with OU ushered in the Paris twin era, but even with the future four-time All-American and her twin in the spotlight, fans' love for Erin never stopped.

Stephanie Simon (Hybl)
http://i49.tinypic.com/2n9grvb.jpg
Fans of Sooner womens basketball probably remember the first Final Four's trio of first-round WNBA picks - Rosalyn Ross, LaNeisha Caufield, and of course, Stacey Dales. However, don't forget about Stephanie Simon, a walk-on in 1999 who, like Lauren Willis recently, worked hard without a scholarship to eventually earn one by 2002. Her hard work on the court and off the court has (absolutely no pun intended, I promise) led her to another court after earning her law degree from the University of Oklahoma. It is a badly kept secret that she married ex-OU quarterback Nate Hybl, but I'm sure you guys still love her anyway :)

Whitney Hand
http://i50.tinypic.com/xcqd6b.jpg
Part of being a Sooner seems to mean to deal with adversity. After a stellar freshmen campaign with hotshot three-point shooting and a Final Four in your first season, you darn well should expect to improve to greater heights by your sophomore year. While OU returned to the Final Four, it was with Whitney on the sideline instead of starting. However, it is inspiring and touching to know that even though this girl has suffered probably the greatest disappointment of her athletic career with the ACL, she didn't give up on her team. We know she'll be back on the court next year, once again as a sophomore, and once again, we'll expect much of Whitney, because after all, ever since she's arrived on campus, OU's been having nothing but Final Four seasons.

Sherri Coale
http://i50.tinypic.com/30mn9so.jpg
If you love the fact that the Big 12 didn't crash and burn, don't thank Texas - thank Sherri Coale. There was no more outspoken coach among the schools making decisions (haha to Baylor's Kim Mulkey - you don't count!) in keeping the conference together than Sherri. When some coaches were like "ho hum, we'll do whatever whenever the decison's made," Sherri spoke adamantly for student-athletes and the good of the sport. Traveling to west coast night games was killer and as an honors grad and former English teacher, you know she wasn't speaking with dollar figure bullshizzle that everyone else was, but her educational mindset. Even if you had dreams of Pac-16 or the SEC, you have got to respect that Sherri will speak out for what she believes is right.

VOTING TIME!
Vote for all four, vote for one, but please at least vote for two. Voting lasts 10 days (because dang it, this is a lot of work!). Also, as you may have noticed in previous polls, voting is anonymous, so nobody 'cept the modadors will know who you voted for. It should also go without saying that you can only cast one ballot, so vote carefully!

In the interest of full disclosure, NP helped me pick out the pics this time :D

SoonerStormchaser
6/17/2010, 12:18 AM
Whitney Hand...and Sherri Coale (I mean, come on...I have a reputation to uphold here).

bmjlr
6/17/2010, 08:17 AM
Sherri Coale...Me likey! YUM!

Mad Dog Madsen
6/17/2010, 08:31 AM
Erin Higgins all tha way baby!!!

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/17/2010, 09:14 AM
Have to go with Erin but out of the 4 pics posted.....Whitney's is def the nicest to look at :)

badger
6/17/2010, 09:14 AM
Pics from previous round:
http://i46.tinypic.com/25pk7yq.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/seyt01.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2mgs5g6.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/5mehb7.jpg

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 10:07 AM
Whitney gets my vote for that pic alone. Yowza.

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 01:19 PM

Really? 'Cause I look at that picture and think "that's not a smile, it's just TEETH" ;)

Mad Dog Madsen
6/17/2010, 01:25 PM
Looks like she's wearing a wedding ring in that pic anyways... ;)

NormanPride
6/17/2010, 01:47 PM
Really? 'Cause I look at that picture and think "that's not a smile, it's just TEETH" ;)

It's a sexy snarl, not a demure smile. She's ripping her clothes off!

badger
6/17/2010, 02:14 PM
Whitney Hand...and Sherri Coale (I mean, come on...I have a reputation to uphold here).

There is no program hotter than OU, from the head coach, to alumni to current players. Undisputed fact!

The picture is from the media guide photo shoot for the past season. There are some pics in that slideshow on SS.com, the primary source of 'Hottest' poll pics.

Looks like she's wearing a wedding ring in that pic anyways...
I didn't even notice that. Good catch. We may have to start calling her Whitney Jones soon. Whitney Hand-Jones. Or even better, the quarterback half of the couple starts going by Landry Hand :D

Also, I should mention that while you probably all came here to stare at pictures, this is just a ploy to get you all to care more about the team and follow them during the season next fall. As such, you can expect a really, really fun feature on each of the Final Four ladies. I already know what I'll write about Whitney, which you football fans should enjoy... so if you wanna read it, ignore the likely-engagement ring. ;)

EDIT: Wow, more votes in less than a day than several days of the play-in round. You guys holding out to vote for Sherri and Whitney or something? ;)

GottaHavePride
6/17/2010, 07:39 PM

Sorry, I'm not getting snarl from that. I'm just getting the beauty pageant "SEE? You can see all my teeth! That means I'm smiling!" look. ;)

badger
6/17/2010, 09:40 PM
Sorry, I'm not getting snarl from that. I'm just getting the beauty pageant "SEE? You can see all my teeth! That means I'm smiling!" look. ;)

Meh, how many times did you see Superman smiling when he had to rip off his suit to reveal his Superman suit? Oh goodie! Interrupt real life to save another helpless non-superhero time! ;)

Cade has that same gritted teeth look in my little 'cute OU men' ensemble of a sig. In case anyone's wondering, from left, Joe Jon Finley, Trent Smith, Michael Ott, Cade Davis, All Day, Eduardo Najera, and adorable OU pitcher Bobby Shore :D

humblesooner
6/18/2010, 08:01 AM

I never even saw her smile/snarl. I just saw that she was tearing off her clothes. :eek: :D :eek:

NormanPride
6/18/2010, 10:28 AM
I never even saw her smile/snarl. I just saw that she was tearing off her clothes. :eek: :D :eek:

Yeah, GHP has girl issues. :D

redkid
6/18/2010, 11:27 AM
Erin Higgins,,no conntest,, put her in the winners round!!She likes me I think,,she just hasent told me yet

jumperstop
6/18/2010, 03:58 PM
We can see which two are leading. Comes down to the old crowd and young crowd. Sherri is too old for me to consider to be hot, like me thinking somebody my mom's age is hot...or maybe even my grandma's age.

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 04:15 PM
I voted to get the fake money, but I have no idea how it came down to those four...:confused:

badger
6/18/2010, 05:21 PM
I voted to get the fake money, but I have no idea how it came down to those four...:confused:

Oh Bill... do I need to go over this again? Here is the long version in hopes that I don't have to keep posting short versions!

Badger had been trying for the past few years here at soonerfans.com to get fans to be as excited about her favorite OU sport, womens basketball (tied with football, of course).

Alas, these attempts to share her fandom were usually met rebuked with endless TTIWWP requests for Sherri Coale, Stacey Dales and a few others, not to mention mens basketball fans wondering what womens basketball talk was doing on their board.

The next year badger tried a different route - a single thread to limit womens basketball chatter to one area as to not anger the mens bball fans and to hopefully just zone in the team and not how hot Sherri Coale was.

Through an entire year of womens basketball blogging, badger realized that guys begging to see Sherri Coale and her Sooner players loved the team just as much as her during their Final Four runs, even though the guys loved them not just for their athletic skills, but also their beauty. Badger, too, was guilty of loving the the male OU athletes for their cuteness, after all (see signature).

So, badger took pictures of the eight most-requested Sooners and put them into a poll, in appreciation of the OU womens basketball fans that helped keep the discussions alive during the season.

Putting them into a poll, sf.com was about to end the discussion once and for all, who was the hottest Sooner in all of OU womens basketball... a discussion that had been ongoing probably since before this board existed. The question will be answered... and then likely disputed for every season through the rest of eternity, haha

Badger was quickly rebuked for omitting some players, so a play-in round of six additional Sooner womens basketball players/coaches was added.

Six Sooners remain in this "elimination tournament" of sorts, the top four vote receivers of the original eight, and the top two of the added play-in round. They are:

Krista Sanchez (Round one leader)
Stacey Dales (Round one runner-up)
Sherri Coale (Round one third place)
Whitney Hand (Round one fourth place)
Erin Higgins (Play-in round leader)
Stephanie Simon (Play-in round runner-up)

Long story short, we ended up with these four because we are only voting on the bottom four right now. The top two, Krista and Stacey, will face the top two of this round.

Who will it be? Vote! :)

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 06:44 PM
Oh....I see! :D

badger
6/18/2010, 07:24 PM
Oh....I see! :D

Well, just in case you don't, here's a bracket:
http://i49.tinypic.com/5xr4vo.jpg

:D

Curly Bill
6/18/2010, 07:50 PM
Now I really get it! :D

SPEK on the bracket!

badger
6/20/2010, 07:58 PM
Six days left of votin'

In the meantime, here's an awesome story for Father's Day of Hakeem and Abi Olajuwon's relationship via ESPN.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=5305469)

EstablishedSooner1967
6/21/2010, 07:38 PM
Krista Sanchez best looking player I have seen...

Mad Dog Madsen
6/22/2010, 08:29 AM
More Erin Higgins please... :D

bmjlr
6/22/2010, 12:21 PM
Krista Sanchez best looking player I have seen...

^^^^^^^ +1

stoopified
6/23/2010, 04:07 PM
When is the swimsuit competion?

badger
6/23/2010, 04:18 PM
When is the swimsuit competion?

Right in the middle of football season, which it why it goes unnoticed most years ;)

badger
6/25/2010, 08:37 AM
Voting ends tomorrow, then onto the final four :)