PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Nation

oudavid1
6/16/2010, 07:25 PM
ok, i dont know if this has been posted, nor do i care.

Does anyone object to our fan base being called the "Sooner Nation"

it dosnt really bother me but i want yalls opinions.

http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com/images_products/sooner_nation_flag_35139big.jpg

bonkuba
6/16/2010, 07:28 PM
Love it.....

sooner59
6/16/2010, 07:32 PM
All for it. And that flag is hanging up in my living room right now.

olevetonahill
6/16/2010, 07:51 PM
Dont care fer it
Simple reason Smelly bourbon coined that phrase. Plus seems like every other ****in school has started doing it .:rolleyes:

OKLA21FAN
6/16/2010, 08:08 PM
'home of the SOONERS'

yep I yelled it :pop:

bluedogok
6/16/2010, 08:20 PM
Dont care fer it
Simple reason Smelly bourbon coined that phrase. Plus seems like every other ****in school has started doing it .:rolleyes:
I concur...I don't ever remember hearing that phrase applied to OU until he uttered it.

Sooner in Tampa
6/16/2010, 08:31 PM
EVERYBODY has a "NATION" nowadays

I can live with it...even in spite of smellybourbon

jumperstop
6/16/2010, 08:33 PM
I heard them saying on the sports animal that some lady called and was bitching about this. I don't normally say it, but I'm not against it. If you have to call into the radio to complain about it cause you're so upset that people say it, that's pretty dumb.

oudavid1
6/16/2010, 08:52 PM
I heard them saying on the sports animal that some lady called and was bitching about this. I don't normally say it, but I'm not against it. If you have to call into the radio to complain about it cause you're so upset that people say it, that's pretty dumb.

Yeah, thats why i thought of it, this lady did call in and i tried to call in after she did.

I really dont mind it, i mean that flag is cool and its not that big of a deal i just wanted to know why anyone would be against it.

And ive only been going to games for 11 years (Sense i was 7) so i dont remember or really know to much about smelly bourbon. I like it, i mean i so no reason not too.

And i have been on the radio about "Home of the Sooners" and my argument was that the whole reason we are even singing that great song is because of Sooner football (being gathered at a stadium in the fall) and because i always believe the stars and stripes should rise higher than any flag (including OUs). And all the veterans in my family (Army Col. Air Force Cap. and many many others) have never objected to it, in fact my Grandfather who played for OU (51-54) and a former Marine in Korea says it as loud as he could when he went so i dont see the big deal.

OKLA21FAN
6/16/2010, 10:09 PM
EVERYBODY has a "NATION" nowadays

I can live with it...even in spite of smellybourbon

a 'head on collision with the national championship'?

i still can't believe that when I heard it on the radio that summer!

sooner59
6/16/2010, 10:11 PM
Ah crap, not this again. The thread has turned. Get ready for 14 pages of, "Home of the Sooners" or "Home of the Brave".

Dio
6/16/2010, 11:37 PM
People hate it cause Smellsofbourbon said it first, but I dig it

BudSooner
6/17/2010, 12:29 AM
Personally I hate it, he must have had help getting around campus and other places because he always looked like he was one step from falling flat on his face.
Thank god that experiment didn't last, even if it gave way to John Blake.

Soonerntxs
6/17/2010, 09:17 AM
"SOONER NATION"? Well, I think I like it! It has no mention of cowboys, whorns, frogs, buckeyes or BYU.. so I more than like it, I LOVE it! As far as "Home of the Sooners", I love that too! I'm a proud VET, USA served DShield & DStorm came home to my fellow Oklahoma Family & Sooners and feel that this is not a slide to our nations song but a tribute to our kind and a celebration to those who I stand beside in that beautiful concrete monument of 7 National Championships! OH CRAP, I think I just got a tear in my left eye!

Just my thoughts! BOOMER SOONER & GOOD, DAY!

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 09:24 AM
a 'head on collision with the national championship'?

i still can't believe that when I heard it on the radio that summer!

"They're gonna write books and make movies about this team."

humblesooner
6/17/2010, 10:51 AM
Dont care fer it

+1 - No other reason required.

49r
6/17/2010, 11:19 AM
So,

When Florida State fans refer to the "Seminole Nation", are they talking about their team???

:confused:

badger
6/17/2010, 11:29 AM
To my knowledge, these are the things that OU fans do that some people have found offensive, past or present:

1- "Home of the Sooners" at the end of national anthem (ongoing annual debate among Sooner and opponent fans alike)

2- Calling the team "Sooners" (a Native American professor said it was offensive to Native Americans who were promised this land before the U.S. reneged on the treaty)

3- Little Red, an OU mascot (no longer used due to Native American protest, a Native American student that would dress up and dance before games. Immensely popular among the greater majority of OU fans, but sometimes the object of opponent ridicule)

4- Standing during athletic events (I have been told to sit down at OU baseball games, basketball games and football games, mostly away games. boo hoo)

5- Band playing fight song repeatedly and at bad times (OSU fans get extremely whiney about this. A&M's alma mater was interrupted about five years ago at a College Station game by 'Boomer Sooner' and OU's football team storming the field... they were incredibly angry about that... basically, everyone hates Boomer Sooner except Sooner fans)

However, to my knowledge, "Sooner Nation" is not on this list. Yet.

texaspokieokie
6/17/2010, 11:36 AM
standing during athletic events has been copied from texags.

obviously,your team has a much better chance of victory if all fans stand for entire game.

Mississippi Sooner
6/17/2010, 11:39 AM
Yale fans really like Boomer Sooner, but those losers went and changed the words. :P

texaspokieokie
6/17/2010, 11:41 AM
notre dame stole their fight song from okmulgee high.

Soonerntxs
6/17/2010, 02:09 PM
Don't forget to add the wearing red & white, some don't like it when we wear our colors. I guess I have one thing to say to those who don't like Sooner Magic, Sooner Pride, Sooner Nation, Boomer Sooner or the wear of the Red & White. Checkers is a nice quiet game that you can now play online at home.

OhU1
6/17/2010, 02:47 PM
Like the OU flag, the term "Sooner Nation" makes me cringe. Too cornball for me. A "nation" defined by people who root for a football team? Come on. Perhaps if I had not already heard the term "Gator Nation" and the like a hundred times before I might have been warmer to the idea.

badger
6/17/2010, 02:59 PM
Don't forget to add the wearing red & white, some don't like it when we wear our colors. I guess I have one thing to say to those who don't like Sooner Magic, Sooner Pride, Sooner Nation, Boomer Sooner or the wear of the Red & White. Checkers is a nice quiet game that you can now play online at home.

:mad: but... but... red squares! red checkers! RED EVERYWHERE! Ahhhhh!

;)

OKLA21FAN
6/17/2010, 03:14 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3u72o8jj0vo/SnO5B7Ilg0I/AAAAAAAAAA4/H40KvZIEnAI/S730/sooner_nation_logo.gif :pop:

SunnySooner
6/17/2010, 03:38 PM
Doesn't bother me, and as a Sooner in exile, lo these many years, it does make me feel a little more included, I s'pose.

As a toddler my son used to call that the "Go Sooners" flag, and the Stars and Stripes was the "Go America" flag...ah, he's getting so big, sniff, sniff, my baaaaabyyy!!!

PLaw
6/17/2010, 04:50 PM
ok, i dont know if this has been posted, nor do i care.

Does anyone object to our fan base being called the "Sooner Nation"

it dosnt really bother me but i want yalls opinions.

http://www.collegeflagsandbanners.com/images_products/sooner_nation_flag_35139big.jpg

It was cool when first coined, but it has grown a little tired. Especially, since every other major school has a "nation". I think we may have been the first to use it.

Hey, we are THE BIG RED again! Now, I like that.

BOOMER and GO BIG RED.

sooner ngintunr
6/17/2010, 06:09 PM
I don't care but I've looked everywhere for one of those flags and can't find one. My basement is yearning for it.

bri
6/17/2010, 06:15 PM
Sooner Nation gives me free stuff, so I'm cool with it.

sooner59
6/17/2010, 07:15 PM
I don't care but I've looked everywhere for one of those flags and can't find one. My basement is yearning for it.

I got mine from Sooner Textbooks on Campus Corner.

oudavid1
6/17/2010, 07:26 PM
I would like a flag as well, and if every other team has a nation i havnt seen the flag yet. i mean atleast we have that sick flag. (Sick means awesome)

soonerloyal
6/17/2010, 08:28 PM
I have one of those as a car flag. Unfortunately, the one time I used it down here in FL was the day of the NC game against the gators. Can I get it blessed with holy water to remove the bad juju, or must I burn it just to be safe?

bluedogok
6/17/2010, 09:26 PM
"They're gonna write books and make movies about this team."
Where's the obelisk? :pop:

Soonerfan88
6/18/2010, 10:47 AM
Dont care fer it

NO HE DIDN'T!!! I really wish folks would quit giving him any credit. Just because sports writers quoted him after a banquet does not mean he coined the phrase. Do you really think Smelly or his wife came up with that phrase on their own?

In 1971 or 1972, a parody was made of Woody Guthrie's "Oklahoma Hills" which has a line about being down in the Indian Nation. The OU rewrite modified that to Sooner Nation. I have referred to the Sooner Nation most of my life and I'm sure I can't be the only one who remembers this song.

And if every other school does it now, remember that imitation is the sincerest of flattery.

olevetonahill
6/18/2010, 10:49 AM
NO HE DIDN'T!!! I really wish folks would quit giving him any credit. Just because sports writers quoted him after a banquet does not mean he coined the phrase. Do you really think Smelly or his wife came up with that phrase on their own?

In 1971 or 1972, a parody was made of Woody Guthrie's "Oklahoma Hills" which has a line about being down in the Indian Nation. The OU rewrite modified that to Sooner Nation. I have referred to the Sooner Nation most of my life and I'm sure I can't be the only one who remembers this song.

And if every other school does it now, remember that imitation is the sincerest of flattery.

Never heard that , Hell id be proud to never mention that azzwipe again .;)
got a Link ?

olevetonahill
6/18/2010, 11:01 AM
From Wiki
Late in the 1994 season, Oklahoma head coach Gary Gibbs was forced to resign, but was allowed to finish out the season. Schnellenberger was hired to replace him on December 16, 1994.[7] Repeating his bluster upon taking the Louisville job, Schnellenberger declared, "They'll write books and make movies about my time here." He also traveled across the state, with the stated goal of renewing the enthusiasm in what he called "Sooner Nation." After watching his new team for the first time in the 1994 Copper Bowl (in which Oklahoma was routed by BYU 31–6), he alienated his soon-to-be players by declaring them "out of shape, unorganized and unmotivated" and that they disgraced Oklahoma's rich football tradition.[8]

This is all i found
So give me a Link.

Soonerfan88
6/18/2010, 12:44 PM
Sorry Vet, I can't link a local radio parody song from the 1970s.

I have acknowledged that Smelly said that at a banquet so what does your Wiki prove?

olevetonahill
6/18/2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry Vet, I can't link a local radio parody song from the 1970s.

I have acknowledged that Smelly said that at a banquet so what does your Wiki prove?

what he called "Sooner Nation."
Kinda leads ya to believe he was the 1st :rolleyes:

Crucifax Autumn
6/18/2010, 05:05 PM
I think it's dorky.

badger
6/18/2010, 05:28 PM

Here (http://www.amazon.com/Oklahoma-Sooners-Flag-Stripe-Ou/dp/B001TXIID8)

Protip: Get one cheaper at a campus book store whenever you make your mecca trip back to Norman for football/basketball/etc