PDA

View Full Version : Who to add to the conference?

Football Jim
6/15/2010, 11:38 PM
To have a championship game we need 12 teams so I would imagine things are happening behind the scenes to replace the sucksters and beefaloes. Might we add two more southern teams and relocate 2 teams to the north division?

What northern teams may be added that make sense? I think TCU is out of the question, Memphis and Tulsa are not strong additions. Air Force would be a good replacement for CU but is unlikely. Wyoming has a decent fan base but brings nothing to the table and BYU is not a good fit IMO. Big East schools are too far out of the region to make sense. La Tech? New Mexico? Any ideas?

Peach Fuzz
6/15/2010, 11:40 PM
wtf is this? you sound like a fuggin week in review... must have been a deep cave you cam out of

Eielson
6/15/2010, 11:49 PM
Yes. I don't mean to be rude, but you sound like you live under a rock.

BoomerJack
6/16/2010, 08:55 AM
Colorado State perhaps?

goingoneight
6/16/2010, 09:17 AM
We should add some mid-majors!

TCU... who cares about TV markets?
Houston... need more Texas!
Ooh-ooh... how about UNT?!? Eh? Eh?!?

Replacing two National Championship programs won't be hard!

Dio
6/16/2010, 09:17 AM
We can add more nobodies and split the money with them, or we can add nobody and be fine.

soonerlaw
6/16/2010, 09:42 AM
I think what happened is only putting a band-aid on the situation and is a temporary fix. If the trend is really toward these super-conferences, the Big12 (Big X or whatever) will eventually dissolve, especially without a championship game (and the less likelihood the conf. will send 2 teams to the BCS) so there is no need to add any additional teams.

Plus I also agree with Dio.

TUSooner
6/16/2010, 10:10 AM
By the time the Big II+VIII is ready to expand, Texas will again be off dallying in the haystack with some other conference, and we'll just have to start all over again.

goingoneight
6/16/2010, 11:30 AM
As a fan, I don't get at all what's so special about this move. We lose OU/NU for good, unless Joe C. wants to ditch the whole "let's play one tough OOC game every year" for "let's bring in Nebraska for a yearly home-and-home USC/ND-style." For all we know so far, that's not even been so much as belched at by either school. We're now in a glaringly, obviously depleted version of what used to barely be the distant-second-place football conference. There's the issue with Tejas calling the shots and we still have nothing more than the Fiesta Bowl to look forward to on years where we're not the obvious choice for the MNC.

I'm sure the higher ups in the BIG X are just shutting up and accepting those paychecks for now, as if to say waiting for the next big move or the next bright opportunity. I don't see any BIG X additions, that's one thing I think is true in all this crazy reporting this and that about conference realignment.

badger
6/16/2010, 11:32 AM
Hey, let's add Colorado and Nebraska!

Oh wait, Colorado's fanbase is non-existent and Nebraska has no television markets worth mentioning. Any conference that wants those two can have them, because the Big 12-2 does not need them

;)

delhalew
6/16/2010, 11:38 AM
Add yo mamma!

Dio
6/16/2010, 11:38 AM
Add yo mamma!

BURRRRRRRRNNNNN!

achiro
6/16/2010, 12:07 PM
Notre Dame

I know but wouldn't that just chap everyone's arse! :D

rawlingsHOH
6/16/2010, 12:14 PM
We won't know until the new TV deals are reworked.

Will there be monetary incentive to eventually get to 12 (or 16) schools and secure a title game? If not, you may see this 10 team conference stand pat for a few years.

KantoSooner
6/16/2010, 12:53 PM
I could never stand Pat.

Hated the SOB from day one.

badger
6/16/2010, 01:50 PM
Big Ten: Let's add Nebraska, who likely already has a lot of Big Ten Network subscriptions due to their close proximity to Iowa!

Nebraksa: Oh yes, we add absolutely nothing but a hatred of Texas.

Big Ten: Splitting revenues 12 ways instead of 11 is a good idea!

:D

soonervegas
6/16/2010, 02:21 PM
This is a 5-7 year stop gap until the next big contact run. We will be in the SEC in 2020. ESPN and the SEC will make sure of it.

NatureBoy
6/16/2010, 02:28 PM
How about Texas-El Paso and Texas-San Antonio.

rawlingsHOH
6/16/2010, 02:33 PM
the board is infested

Dio
6/16/2010, 02:35 PM
This is a 5-7 year stop gap until the next big contact run.

Probably

We will be in the SEC in 2020. ESPN and the SEC will make sure of it.

Maybe. That wouldn't totally suck, though.

Breadburner
6/16/2010, 02:42 PM
the board is infested

^^^^^This.....

deweydw
6/16/2010, 02:45 PM
Ooh-ooh... how about UNT?!? Eh? Eh?!

UNT is building a new stadium. They could use the money.

soonerfan69
6/16/2010, 02:49 PM
I'm dreaming but Notre Dame and Memphis would be sweet

KantoSooner
6/16/2010, 03:09 PM
Why? so that we could beat up on ND from now until the rapture and enjoy the cries of pain as their broken bodied players were kicked to the sidelines? Or perhaps we could enjoy watching Kansas brutalize Memphis in basketball (assuming of course that OU's bball team continues 'the curse of 2009' and can't get the job done itself).
Other than that (and in the Domer's case bringing a passle of addled, but geographically spread out fans) neither would add jack.

soonerfromgeorgia
6/16/2010, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see the Mormons and the catholics join up, big fan bases and reaches out to the Pac 10 + 2 and the Big 10 + 2 coverage area's. I think BYU and ND would be a upgrade from the 2 that just left.

I also think the Big 12 should then push forward and be the first Super conference with 16 teams even if some are not as strong as we would like.

Add Louisville or Cincinnati, Both are decent in FB and very good in BB.
Take Memphis up on their 10 million a year offer.
and then look at Colorado State (TV market) and a Wyoming or Boise State.
South Florida would bring in the Tampa area, they would fit in the Big 12 just as good as they do in the Big East.

The conference has survived for years with some poor teams, it can continue to do so.

Sco
6/16/2010, 11:16 PM
Not that we're expanding, but why not look at Cincinnati? It's not a horrible distance (considering Colorado used to be in the XII and the near Pac-16 situation) and it opens up recruiting into Ohio....

PDXsooner
6/16/2010, 11:23 PM
There is not a team that isn't already in a major conference that is worth adding. Period. (Except Notre Dame).

soonerfromgeorgia
6/17/2010, 05:46 AM
I view the Big East as being as unstable or even more unstable as the Big 12 is. If we were to cherry pick cinnicinnati and Louisville, you might see a chain reaction start of the SEC going after FSU, Miami and GT, then you'd see the ACC scrambling to pick up a few of the Big East teams and the Big 10 getting the Rutgers, Pittsburghs. The Big 12 needs to strengthen it's position with numbers before it is raided again.

you would then have 3 major conferences and the Pac 10 would be screwed because all that would be left would be the mid majors.

Jacie
6/17/2010, 06:20 AM
University of Phoenix

I understand their alumni base is nationwide.

OUthunder
6/17/2010, 06:22 AM
I really don't want to add Memphis. Going to a game there means packing heat and body armor.

bluedogok
6/17/2010, 09:51 PM
How about Texas-El Paso and Texas-San Antonio.
UTSA starts soon, they will be DI-AA at first and in the same conference as Texas State-San Marcos.