PDA

View Full Version : Stockholm Sydrome- rampant in the Big 12?

Peeb
6/15/2010, 08:22 PM
xxxx

delhalew
6/15/2010, 08:44 PM
What should worry us is whether there is any truth to the 18 year commitment with a much more severe penalty for parting ways.

tommieharris91
6/15/2010, 08:49 PM
This theory would have merit if OU didn't out-earn UT 2 years ago in TV revenues. This conference really is OU, UT, and 8 lemmings now.

SoonerMom2
6/15/2010, 08:55 PM
This theory would have merit if OU didn't out-earn UT 2 years ago in TV revenues. This conference really is OU, UT, and 8 lemmings now.

Exactly! People need to watch Joe C's press conference from today to get a better understanding that the media didn't exactly report what Joe had said about staying with Texas would benefit both of us -- never said anything about following Texas -- that was OSU.

He also talked about other opportunities we had in other conferences but didn't name them. Think A&M put the monkey wrench in Texas plans with discussing the SEC instead of PAC 10. Also their politicos took a burn when they left Baylor out. After six months of planning, you would have thought TX would have seen the lay of the land after what happened last time. UT arrogance got them with A&M at that meeting and why they looked to the SEC. UT instead of saying Baylor went for Kansas and the politicos helped stop the movement. We could have still gone to another conference but they felt it was best OU stay with the Big 12.

Leroyt
6/15/2010, 09:06 PM
aggie may have gotten over on the other 7 hillbilly asylums, but certainly not on tx or ou. They used to be a mediocre trending towards forever irrelevant football program. The only difference now is that they're overpaid. They still can't recruit, play defense, get the ice cream man crew to commit to heterosexuality, or sniff even a 2nd tier bowl game. Money will not cure what ails them, and an eventual move to the sec will be the nail in their coffin, should they make that move someday. Those marbles are for show, not go.

Peeb
6/16/2010, 12:37 AM
xxxx

Peeb
6/16/2010, 12:39 AM
xxxx

tommieharris91
6/16/2010, 12:51 AM
We're just a better paid lemming. UT is our Daddy and we're telling the world that's the way it is. I hate it. Inviting them into the B12 was a mistake.

When we have more $$$$$ and just as much power (if not more) as someone else, we're not a lemming.

delhalew
6/16/2010, 12:55 AM
We're just a better paid lemming. UT is our Daddy and we're telling the world that's the way it is. I hate it. Inviting them into the B12 was a mistake.

This is ****tarded.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/16/2010, 08:31 AM

You joined the board just to post this stupid ****? Or are you somebody's troll?

Harry Beanbag
6/16/2010, 08:53 AM
Trolls are pussies.

Team Perkis
6/16/2010, 09:05 AM
When we have more $$$$$ and just as much power (if not more) as someone else, we're not a lemming.

Texas, throughout this whole ordeal, showed that they clearly have more power than any Big XII school.

delhalew
6/16/2010, 09:15 AM
Texas, throughout this whole ordeal, showed that they clearly have more power than any Big XII school.

No. They did not. You don't know what Boren and Joe C wanted out of negotiations, but I'll bet they got it.

LePetomaine
6/16/2010, 10:24 AM
No. They did not. You don't know what Boren and Joe C wanted out of negotiations, but I'll bet they got it.

Agreed. Plus a few thoughts on these "OU was a weak sister" threads. First, was OU a weak sister? or did this round of chest thumping present a better path to take a Machiavelli-like approach ("I'll watch these events unfold, and make sure I get what I want?"). I think the answer here is B.

Two, Joe C. always plays his cards close to the vest -- most good poker players do. Don't think for a minute that OU did not have its eyes on the prize it wanted. If UT wants to be the loudest shouter in the room this time around; let them. If what I want is for my comfy chair to become more comfy, I'm happy to let that occur.

badger
6/16/2010, 10:40 AM

Boren and Joe C wanted to stay in the Big 12 and they wanted Texas to stay in the Big 12 too. It sounds like they got everything they wanted.

Well, cept for the entire Big 12 to stay together. But hey, we'll survive and so will the big 12... for now... as a 10-school Big 12... yeaaahhhh...

sooner94
6/16/2010, 10:49 AM

Pretty obvious you are a UT fan.

Team Perkis
6/16/2010, 10:58 AM

Public perception, which is all at that really matters, says otherwise. The national media is blasting UT for its unethical dealings and bluffs in this entire case, and OU is not getting spared since we followed UT and let them get everything they wanted. Everything.

And easier conference.

No championship game.

Its own network television network.

Keeping SEC schools from having a pipeline to Texas.

The most money of any school in the conference and likely NCAA.

A continuing imbalance of power in the Big XII.

Everything.

OU may have wanted these things too (and that's a shame if so), but we followed Texas anywhere it went. And because of that, we are nationally looked at as Texas' follower. What may or may not have actually happened is irrelevant. Hell, the only schools that came out of this with cajones were Colorado, Nebraska, and A&M for initially calling UT's bluffs. College football is all about perception, and that does not bode well for us at all.

Dio
6/16/2010, 11:27 AM
Look at all these through OU's eyes:

And easier conference. PLUS- it never kept Ohio State or USC out of the BCS Championship.

No championship game. PLUS- according to Stoops, and not necessary since all the teams play each other

Its own network television network. If by "network television" you mean like the domers, no. If you mean channel 238 on cable, yeah. We get one of those too. PLUS

Keeping SEC schools from having a pipeline to Texas. PLUS- we recruit in texas a bit ourselves, if you hadn't noticed

The most money of any school in the conference and likely NCAA. MINUS- but we aren't that far behind, especially for how many less TV sets we have in Okla vs Texas. Our stature keeps us in the game, even though we don't have the population texas does.
(I know we got more money than * in 08, but looking forward it looks like they're going to pull ahead based on revenue from the Burnt Baby Poop Network)

A continuing imbalance of power in the Big XII. PLUS- There is an imbalance of power here, and it's to our benefit. At some point UT will try to exert leverage over us, to be sure, but the current situation is to our mutual benefit

Veritas
6/16/2010, 11:47 AM
I'm going to get negged to bolivian for this, but this deal is bad for OU because mother****ing ******* piece of **** bully UT will continue to retain the big stick over the remaining schools in the Big XII, including OU. The whorns are a pox on every conference they're in. Sure, they caved and gave a away some money but what did they lose here? The "1" vote in all of those 11-1 votes has moved to the Big 10.

I know I'm a Husker fan first and an OU fan second, but I wanted to see this Pac 10 thing happen because I want OU out from under Texas' thumb and into a conference we're they're not automatically paired with Texas like the hot chick with her plug ugly twin.

But of course Texas isn't going to move to a conference where they don't have a rubberstamp commissioner and a financial stranglehold on all the other schools. Gawd I ****ing hate UT.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/16/2010, 01:00 PM
For all of you that think we're under texass thumb, has it even occured to you that maybe we're in cahoots with texass. Last week, as CU and NU were leaving Joe C said he wanted to keep the B12 together even as a 10 team league, because OU has more influence in the B12 than it would in the SEC or Pac 16. Maybe it's Joe C that got what he wanted.

At this point we're getting the same amount of money as texass in this new deal. Everybody assumes that texass is going to start some network but they could have done that a couple of years ago and still haven't. Even if they earn a few more bucks than us, I'm really not that concerned about it. They already have a bigger athletic budget than us and we seem to compete with them just fine.

I think that's exactly the issue. NU can't compete and they need a scapegoat. Bye Neb. It was fun while it lasted. But if you think you're going to have more influence in the tOSU league I think you're going to find out the grass isn't greener.

Team Perkis
6/16/2010, 01:31 PM
Look at all these through OU's eyes:

Firstly, I'm not looking through OU's eyes. I'm looking for what's best for the conference and the perception of the Big XII, which is all that matters when it comes to voting time. The 2008 year, when our conference was outstanding, perception and SOS was a big reason why we got the nod over Fexas.

And easier conference. PLUS- it never kept Ohio State or USC out of the BCS Championship.

How'd Ohio State do in those games?

No championship game. PLUS- according to Stoops, and not necessary since all the teams play each other

It makes the Big XII/Texas 10 teams irrelevant when the rest of the conferences are playing championship games.

Its own network television network. If by "network television" you mean like the domers, no. If you mean channel 238 on cable, yeah. We get one of those too. PLUS

I mean like the Big 10 Network, which is packaged with DirecTV, Verizon, Dish Network as part of their premium cable packages. This is what Texas wants.

Keeping SEC schools from having a pipeline to Texas. PLUS- we recruit in texas a bit ourselves, if you hadn't noticed

Another way to look at it is us having a more open recruiting base in the eastern states than now. That seems to be working well for the SEC schools that keep winning MNC's.

The most money of any school in the conference and likely NCAA. MINUS- but we aren't that far behind, especially for how many less TV sets we have in Okla vs Texas. Our stature keeps us in the game, even though we don't have the population texas does.
(I know we got more money than * in 08, but looking forward it looks like they're going to pull ahead based on revenue from the Burnt Baby Poop Network)

A continuing imbalance of power in the Big XII. PLUS- There is an imbalance of power here, and it's to our benefit. At some point UT will try to exert leverage over us, to be sure, but the current situation is to our mutual benefit
It creates a bad conference. It creates a conference with one game a year (OU/TX) and provides both schools the incentives to play cupcake schedules, which is a waste of money for fans with season tickets and provides less OOC games on network television (I think Texas would be far more guilty of this than OU, honestly).

The rest of the NCAA is adding teams, moving toward having championship games, and sooner or later, they'll expand to create superconferences (and hopefully a more suitable playoff-like system).

OU and Texas. That is the entire conference. When the debates come up as to who should go to the big game, we will not be in that conversation. Our conference will be looked at so poorly and behind the other BCS conferences that some 1 loss team may get the human votes needed to jump an undefeated team. It's a step back from where the rest of the NCAA is heading, not a step forward.

And I know OU doesn't like to hear it, and honestly believes untrue, but Texas is looked at as the daddy/boss of the Big XII. It's the common thought in the media and fans nationwide.

Herr Scholz
6/16/2010, 02:29 PM
The original poster is a bitter husker I would bet. UT and OU will continue to make gobs of money together for a long while whatever conference we end up in 5 or 10 years from now.

Dio
6/16/2010, 02:31 PM
Firstly, I'm not looking through OU's eyes.

Texas troll?

I'm looking for what's best for the conference

What's best for the conference? Screw the conference.

and the perception of the Big XII, which is all that matters when it comes to voting time.

Again, perceptions we all had of the PAC 10 as a one or two team league hasn't kept USC out of the Champ. Game

The 2008 year, when our conference was outstanding, perception and SOS was a big reason why we got the nod over Fexas.

A) Our conference was outstanding in 08. Nebraska was part of that, but the main focus was the South, which is intact B) how does getting picked over another school in our conference indicate conference strength as a factor?

How'd Ohio State do in those games?

About as good as we did from a 12 team conference with a CCG

It makes the Big XII/Texas 10 teams irrelevant when the rest of the conferences are playing championship games.

So we get an extra week off? Again, this didn't keep tOSU or USC out of the Ch Game.

I mean like the Big 10 Network, which is packaged with DirecTV, Verizon, Dish Network as part of their premium cable packages. This is what Texas wants.

How are we supposed to prevent this? And other than money texas gets for this (which won't be near big 10$$), who cares?

Another way to look at it is us having a more open recruiting base in the eastern states than now. That seems to be working well for the SEC schools that keep winning MNC's.

How would letting the SEC into Texas open their recruiting grounds to us? Is there a reciprocal athlete hunting permit or something?

It creates a bad conference. It creates a conference with one game a year (OU/TX) and provides both schools the incentives to play cupcake schedules, which is a waste of money for fans with season tickets and provides less OOC games on network television (I think Texas would be far more guilty of this than OU, honestly).

This is where you're closest to reality. I'm less than thrilled with more games vs Iowa State and KSU as opposed to the possibility of playing more Pac 10 teams. Even if we had joined their conference we would probably see those teams in Norman once every 8 years though, and since we have seen most of their good teams in the last 8 years, it's kind of a wash.

The rest of the NCAA is adding teams, moving toward having championship games, and sooner or later, they'll expand to create superconferences (and hopefully a more suitable playoff-like system).

Let 'em beat each other to a pulp, and we can swoop in and pound what's left.

OU and Texas. That is the entire conference. When the debates come up as to who should go to the big game, we will not be in that conversation. Our conference will be looked at so poorly and behind the other BCS conferences that some 1 loss team may get the human votes needed to jump an undefeated team. It's a step back from where the rest of the NCAA is heading, not a step forward.

We may have slipped behind the Big 10, but not the Pac 10, esp. with USC on probation. A weakened B12-lite conference could hurt us, but it depends on how an individual season plays out.

And I know OU doesn't like to hear it, and honestly believes untrue, but Texas is looked at as the daddy/boss of the Big XII. It's the common thought in the media and fans nationwide.

Oh noes! Haters gonna hate.

With our OOC schedule the next few years, all we have to do is win and we're in. And even in the Big XII lite- we're one of the haves, not one of the have nots.

Breathe, already

NormanPride
6/16/2010, 02:52 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/000/039/080/original/5008_9c00_420.gif

Team Perkis
6/16/2010, 04:15 PM
What's best for the conference? Screw the conference.

I'm not going to respond to the rest since it's just going to be a circle of the same points repeated.

This is where the issue lies. This is where the "me and me only" mentally that I hate Texas for seeps into the minds of OU fans as well.

Big 10 schools look out for Big 10 schools.

Pac 10 schools look out for Pac 10 schools.

We've all heard the SEC chant.

The Big XII has a bunch of schools with poor relationships between the schools, which does not a strong conference make. We've got schools badmouthing other schools within the conference, creating sour relationships. Because no school in our conference really cares for any of them, the most powerful (Texas) gets to call all the shots. Dan Bebee doesn't work for the Big XII. He works for Texas.

There's a reason why every other major conference has little talk of separating while last week nearly (and likely should have) killed the Big XII. There is no conference loyalty, only what's best for me. And unfortunately, what's best for me is whatever Texas chooses, because they hold all the cards in this thing.

And don't call me a Texas fan again. Being unhappy with the OU Board of Regents' and Joe C's decision has nothing to do with disliking OU.

Dio
6/16/2010, 04:50 PM
Fine- it just screams "troll" when people first show up here after a big controversy.

And if OU and TX had both gone west, people would still be saying we're riding their coattails, have no sack, etc. AND they'd be crying about the poor wittle schools who had to go join the Mtn West or whatever.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/16/2010, 04:52 PM
Fine- it just screams "troll"

If it looks like a troll, screams like a troll, takes it in the *** like a troll, it's a troll.

Leroyt
6/16/2010, 07:22 PM
OU and Texas. That is the entire conference. When the debates come up as to who should go to the big game, we will not be in that conversation.

I hate to break it to you, but if boise gets into a bcs game with a schedule that is decent but not even close to great, you're lacking crainial oxygen if you think an undefeated tx or ou doesn't get into the mnc. Keep it comin', corky.

Peeb
6/16/2010, 07:36 PM

olevetonahill
6/16/2010, 07:40 PM
Pretty obvious you are a UT fan.

Naw hes an aggie :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
6/16/2010, 07:49 PM
So which is it ? Yer sure acting like a troll :rolleyes:

I am NOT a bug-eater, nor am I a troll. I am a proud graduate of the University of Oklahoma. In fact, I'm too proud to beg (to Texass U or anybody else). Here is the national perception - I didn't draw this, I'm just reporting what's being said about us (Tulsa World, 6-15-10):
http://www.tulsaworld.com/includes/article/relatedphotos.aspx?articleID=20100616_63_A16_BRUCE P808798

Peeb
Sooner Rookie
Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb Peeb

Re: Sooners on this week's SI Cover
I'm an OSU Grad, and I'll say this:

1) We ARE overhyped. A #5 rating at this point in the season is absurd.
2) OU has every right to presume that they'll beat us in Norman. They really should unless injuries overtake more than they overtake us.
3) In spite of points 1 & 2, above, don't assume that this years squad is the "same old same old" out of Stillwater. Maybe true, maybe not- too early to know.

Good luck, and I hope Sam heals quickly. He's a class act, as is Stoopsie. Big fan every week except

Herr Scholz
6/16/2010, 07:58 PM
This board is infested with bitter trolls.

Peeb
6/16/2010, 08:04 PM

tommieharris91
6/16/2010, 08:07 PM
This board is infested with bitter n00bz.

Fixed.

olevetonahill
6/16/2010, 08:12 PM
OSU - Graduated 84
OU - Graduated 87

I'm a third generation Sooner grad, and I'm sick of BOTH the Sooner and Cowboy cow-towing to the UT bullies.

No apologies for my post whatsoever. I made the IDENTICAL post on an OSU board expressing the same frustration to them.

Bet ya made a 1000yard shot to huh .:rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
6/16/2010, 08:14 PM
I'm sick of BOTH the Sooner and Cowboy cow-towing to the UT bullies.

OU has never done that once.

Peeb
6/16/2010, 08:14 PM

Herr Scholz
6/16/2010, 08:15 PM
thugs known as UT is at an all-time high.
Waaaaah.

Stitch Face
6/16/2010, 10:29 PM
has it even occured to you that maybe we're in cahoots with texass.

I think this is probably true, i.e. financial decisions about the future of the conference are largely a collaborative venture between OU and Texas. Like the huge Ford and Chevy dealerships you always find right next to one another on the mile of cars. There's a reason for that, ya know.

picasso
6/16/2010, 10:44 PM
Everybody who isn't a horn got played.

Sooners and aggies will come out of it the best of all the rubes, but meet me in the alley in 5 minutes, I'm a big time sucker.

Fixed.

Dio
6/16/2010, 11:41 PM
Aggie is as Aggie does

King Barry's Back
6/17/2010, 04:54 AM
I am NOT a bug-eater, nor am I a troll. I am a proud graduate of the University of Oklahoma. In fact, I'm too proud to beg (to Texass U or anybody else). Here is the national perception - I didn't draw this, I'm just reporting what's being said about us (Tulsa World, 6-15-10):
http://www.tulsaworld.com/includes/article/relatedphotos.aspx?articleID=20100616_63_A16_BRUCE P808798

The Tulsa World hardly reflects national perspective.

Bourbon St Sooner
6/17/2010, 08:45 AM
I think this is probably true, i.e. financial decisions about the future of the conference are largely a collaborative venture between OU and Texas. Like the huge Ford and Chevy dealerships you always find right next to one another on the mile of cars. There's a reason for that, ya know.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am. If OU left the conference there wouldn't be a B12 conference. OU and Tx were always going to get the most money out of this deal. texag played the game well and got a piece of the pie. Those schools without options got less, but a lot more than they would have otherwise.