PDA

View Full Version : What will never be again NU v.OU

cahusker
6/15/2010, 05:12 PM
I know a lot of you guys can't stand Nebr. any more. But I thought I would share this so we can all remember the best days of our late season matchups. The 70's were the best. Even though overall OU owned us. This was the best game of my life which Nebraska messed up the next week. Then OU got revenge in the OB. 1978 in my opinion was the best OU team ever to not win a title. If that OU team could hang on to the ball nobody wouldd stop them. Were any of you there that cold overcast day in Lincoln? Enjoy http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=204828176&SPID=76795&SPSID=597347 Any of you think that was the greatest OU team of all time?
One other thing that showes the class of this rivalry. Notice that right after the game ends and fans storm the field OU #24 and Nebraska qb shake hands.

Tear Down This Wall
6/15/2010, 05:22 PM
No, there are still plenty of us who revere the Nebraska rivalry. If only Donnie Duncan and Joe Castiglione gave a damn about it.

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 05:38 PM
Hard to say '78 was the best OU team of all time since the level of athletes keeps going up. I think it was Switzer's best '70s team and that is saying a lot. Defenses had adjusted to the wishbone, so they didn't put up the numbers of the '71 team, but I think that was the best 'bone offense. The defense wasn't the stone wall of the '74 team, but it was still mighty stout. So overall, I think it was the best 70s team and if Billy doesn't fumble on the 2yd line going in to score, they walk away with both AP/UPI titles.

I was probably one of the few who didn't want the rematch. It was punishment for OU for losing the first one and punishment for NU for losing the next week. I would have rather seen us both play other conference teams in the bowls. (I hate re-matches).

SoonerMom2
6/15/2010, 05:46 PM
Joe C wasn't even our AD when the Big 12 was formed so why blame him for anything.

Sooner95
6/15/2010, 05:51 PM
I miss it as well, especially the game after Turkey day matchup..always enjoyed that. Usually made or broke your season back then.

Salt City Sooner
6/15/2010, 05:52 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O8tcxfQ3_bs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O8tcxfQ3_bs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

OU Adonis
6/15/2010, 06:08 PM
The best since I started following OU was probably the 87 team until Jamelle got hurt (Again).

BoulderSooner79
6/15/2010, 06:31 PM
The best since I started following OU was probably the 87 team until Jamelle got hurt (Again).

I agree - I think the level of athlete had jumped enough since the '70s that it wouldn't compare well. That's why I think the '78 team was the best of that decade. But a backfield of Lott, Sims, Overstreet and King in their prime would plug right into say, Georgia Tech, today and do pretty darn well. :)

Tear Down This Wall
6/15/2010, 07:40 PM
Joe C wasn't even our AD when the Big 12 was formed so why blame him for anything.

You'll note that I wrote "Donnie Duncan" who was our AD at the time and agreed to halting of the OU-NU games. Or, maybe you won't it. It's now been pointed out twice.

StoopTroup
6/15/2010, 07:58 PM
It's not that I can't stand Nebraska...

I can't stand the Nebraska fans that are coming on this board thinking we got a raw deal and that the OU Nebraska Rivalry is over.

OU / Texas rivalry lasted for years and neither was in the same Conference.

I still think one of the reasons Nebraska left was because they couldn't get the Big XII to keep the OU / Nebraska Rivalry alive as long as the North and South were structured the way they were.

Now...there is absolutely nothing to stop a OU / Nebraska Annual Game.

Nothing.

Nebraska ****ed up by leaving for the Big 10 IMO but they can still make at least one positive by trying to keep a Non-Conference Game with OU every year at an offsite like Arrowhead.

cheezyq
6/15/2010, 08:12 PM

I can't stand the Nebraska fans that are coming on this board thinking we got a raw deal and that the OU Nebraska Rivalry is over.

I still think one of the reasons Nebraska left was because they couldn't get the Big XII to keep the OU / Nebraska Rivalry alive as long as the North and South were structured the way they were.

Nothing.

Nebraska ****ed up by leaving for the Big 10 IMO but they can still make at least one positive by trying to keep a Non-Conference Game with OU every year at an offsite like Arrowhead.

Interesting take, and I'd LOVE for it to happen since I'm stuck here in KC, but there's no way in hell Stoops agrees to another "neutral" site. He's already stated he'd rather have RRS as home/home.

And, off the topic for a second - why does everyone like the idea of games away from Norman so much? Games at Memorial Stadium are electric and entirely pro-OU. We're 61-2 at home since 2000 and 18-11 at neutral sites, and even further, we're 31-11 on the road. I don't get it, what's the big draw from neutral games? Once in a while they can be fun, but given a choice I'd MUCH rather have games at Owen Field whenever possible.

soonervegas
6/15/2010, 09:22 PM
I have no isses with Nebraska or Husker fans. I would love for each admin to have the guts to schedule that game again as an ooc home and home.

Breadburner
6/15/2010, 09:44 PM

Nothing.

Ding..Ding...Ding....We have a winnah....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUmillenium
6/15/2010, 09:47 PM
Yes, it needs to be an annual home and home series.

cahusker
6/15/2010, 10:43 PM
As much as we would all like to see an annual series I do not think it will happen. When The Big 8 ended Nebraska was on top of the football world and OU was bottoming out. Now we are not too far removed from that but both programs are looking to be strong for years to come. I do not think either will have the courage to want to risk a loss with having to play other top notch teams. Makes winning the title too tough.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/15/2010, 11:36 PM
I know a lot of you guys can't stand Nebr. any more. But I thought I would share this so we can all remember the best days of our late season matchups. The 70's were the best. Even though overall OU owned us. This was the best game of my life which Nebraska messed up the next week. Then OU got revenge in the OB. 1978 in my opinion was the best OU team ever to not win a title. If that OU team could hang on to the ball nobody wouldd stop them. Were any of you there that cold overcast day in Lincoln? Enjoy http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=204828176&SPID=76795&SPSID=597347 Any of you think that was the greatest OU team of all time?
One other thing that showes the class of this rivalry. Notice that right after the game ends and fans storm the field OU #24 and Nebraska qb shake hands.

I wasn't there in '78. But I was there in 1981 when by then it was clear that we did not have a team up-to-snuff, and one of you "classy Huskers" walked around our section with a blown up photo of Sims fumbling the ball in '78.

I will miss you from the conference. Make no mistake.

But it's only beating your *** that I will miss.

You should be real happy you got one against a really young mistake-prone team last year. And you better hope Texas beats us in October.

'cause oh MOMMA, we see you in the last (original) Big XII Conference Championship game this year and IT... IS... ON!

Bring it.

Take this one back to your collective:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

To join the Big 10!

yermom
6/16/2010, 12:21 AM

To join the Big 10!

oh. snap.

but seriously, i get the idea OU and Nebraska might not have the best relationship now as far as athletic departments are concerned

soonerboy_odanorth
6/16/2010, 01:04 AM
Seriously, i get the idea OU and Nebraska might not have the best relationship now as far as athletic departments are concerned

I'd guess.

I think we admit some fault here. When we nose-dived, and they were crushing the college football world (their domination of the 90's was so much more thorough than USC's or Florida's of the '00's... they have no idea), and we said this Big XII arrangement was good and gave us a break from those bad-ol Huskers, Wildcats and Buffalos... well that was weak, gutless, and short-sighted.

Kind of like they are being right now.

And that we are being to a degree by not gathering every olive branch we have and asking, "How can we make this right?"

My general impression is we aren't doing quite enough. I think it's a mistake. But one that over time will correct. It will be interesting to see how.

yermom
6/16/2010, 01:08 AM
i mean them bailing on the conference now. if they wouldn't have bolted to the Big 10/11/12 then we wouldn't be in any of this

soonerboy_odanorth
6/16/2010, 01:24 AM
i mean them bailing on the conference now. if they wouldn't have bolted to the Big 10/11/12 then we wouldn't be in any of this

Yup.

UT doesn't want to admit it... but UT blew it flirtin' with the B10 after the Mizzou flirtation.

I don't blame NU, but I am surprised they jumped so quickly. Kudos to them for their moxy. But again... shortsighted in my mind.

yermom
6/16/2010, 01:25 AM
yeah, except our conference just got a little stupid

the new Pac-12 and the Big 12 North are going to likely look a lot better than the Big 10 South

soonerboy_odanorth
6/16/2010, 01:36 AM
In the short term. Yes. It's uneven at best.

But... I think there is something to be said in the long term for NU learning that THE osu calls the shots politically in the Big10-to-12.

I think there potentially is the "we left that for this?" factor.

Interestingly there was a report today about how NU is already shifting the focus of their recruiting.

What? They value boys who "want to have fun playing in the Big 10? And not the TX speed/skill/big-program-work-ethic?

That makes no sense at all. Not if high level competition is your goal.

GimmeRed
6/16/2010, 05:42 AM
yeah, except our conference just got a little stupid

the new Pac-12 and the Big 12 North are going to likely look a lot better than the Big 10 South

The Pac 12 might have Oregon and maybe Utah. Usc will do nothing for a while.

The Big XII north? This is the last year for that. The Big EXII will be a 2 team animal unless aTm can make some noise.

The Sec is the conference to catch and well the Big XII is going the wrong direction.

Breadburner
6/16/2010, 07:08 AM
Anyone think that NU leaving had anything to do with the Big12 Championship game last year.....

Soonersince57
6/16/2010, 08:44 AM

Nothing.

Agree completely. It can happen if Joe C and Dr. Tom want it as bad as we do.

BigRedTradition
6/16/2010, 09:18 AM
I wasn't there in '78. But I was there in 1981 when by then it was clear that we did not have a team up-to-snuff, and one of you "classy Huskers" walked around our section with a blown up photo of Sims fumbling the ball in '78.

I will miss you from the conference. Make no mistake.

But it's only beating your *** that I will miss.

You should be real happy you got one against a really young mistake-prone team last year. And you better hope Texas beats us in October.

'cause oh MOMMA, we see you in the last (original) Big XII Conference Championship game this year and IT... IS... ON!

Bring it.

Take this one back to your collective:

To join the Big 10!

I'm saving this one.