PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on USC

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 01:37 PM
http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094248

Makes a good argument that USC's penalties were too harsh.

My Opinion Matters
6/15/2010, 01:51 PM
http://usc.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094248

Makes a good argument that USC's penalties were too harsh.

It's ridiculous that USC is attempting to paint themselves as victims in this mess. I think the severity of the penalties isn't neccesarily a reflection of the infractions themselves, but it's the NCAA in all of its fascist glory imposing punitive damages on USC for its lack of cooperation. I think the message is clear: don't stand in the NCAA's way.

Edit: Damnit, I've been trolled by LL once again.

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 01:54 PM
I don't agree with the "victim" status either. But the article points out that either USC got nailed too hard, or teams like Notre Dame and Miami got off far too light.

My Opinion Matters
6/15/2010, 01:58 PM
I think the other important lesson here is not to allow your football program to be run by smug dooshrockets.

sooner518
6/15/2010, 02:04 PM
his point is that because OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush are black, that the NCAA says they should be more closely monitored than high profile white athletes? really?

I like how he brings up the Miami football program and how Miami players essentially took $600,000 in fake Pell grants. Ironically, wasn't the house that Reggie Bush's parents lived in worth about $600,000?

Sorry USC, it was proved that your coaches knew about this stuff (a coach who is still at USC...). Your athletic department blocked investigation and tried to get away with it. THATs why you got hammered. Not simply because your players took money.

Leroy Lizard
6/15/2010, 02:12 PM
his point is that because OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush are black, that the NCAA says they should be more closely monitored than high profile white athletes? really?

I like how he brings up the Miami football program and how Miami players essentially took $600,000 in fake Pell grants. Ironically, wasn't the house that Reggie Bush's parents lived in worth about $600,000?

Sorry USC, it was proved that your coaches knew about this stuff (a coach who is still at USC...). Your athletic department blocked investigation and tried to get away with it. THATs why you got hammered. Not simply because your players took money.

True enough. But don't you find Miami's penalty lacking? At least the way the writer told it, the problems at Miami were severe and they didn't pay a very heavy price. And it isn't like Miami hasn't been in trouble before.